Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets are good and fun. Please stop hitting them in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sydin posted:

It sounds like they plan for Castillo to be back in a week or two so that should help the pitching somewhat. For the offense they just need some of the young guys to break out. Both Senzel and India are OPS'ing in the .500's.

Like don't get me wrong the Reds are bad, but not this bad.

Just in time for a couple of starts to show he's healthy before he gets traded, probably.

e: well, beaten.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

he doesn't need to be at the stadium until the afternoon he can stay up until 4am and still get a full night's sleep

24 year old multi-millionaire who doesn't have to show up to work until, what, one, two PM at the earliest, playing video games after midnight. I'm SHOCKED!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZeoklPyTbc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

24 year old multi-millionaire who doesn't have to show up to work until, what, one, two PM at the earliest, playing video games after midnight. I'm SHOCKED!

Man I wish I was a multimillionaire and could live that lifesty-oh poo poo, I'm rich bitch!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

You just know there are baseball chuds out there who'd demand he be in bed at about sundown and wake up for individual workouts at about 4:00 AM.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Considering their normal work hours are like 5 PM to midnight, I probably wouldn’t go to be until 2 AM either.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

Josh Hader has 10 saves in 10 games and has allowed no runs on 2 hits. That's a pretty good month.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always had a hard time getting how hader is so effective. he has a good but not great fastball, and a good but not great slider, but he seems to just be able to consistently tie hitters up in knots. is it a wonky release angle from a lefty or something that does it?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bewbies posted:

I've always had a hard time getting how hader is so effective. he has a good but not great fastball, and a good but not great slider, but he seems to just be able to consistently tie hitters up in knots. is it a wonky release angle from a lefty or something that does it?

It is because he looks like freddie krueger

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

It's white power lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bewbies posted:

On a serious answer his release angle is very unique and his fastball and slider look like the same exact pitch for a very long time - well before you can reasonably identify it. So you're basically playing 50/50 on a couple of pitches that are, honestly, significantly better than "good not great."

I think by advanced metrics he has literally the best fastball in all of baseball. There's an unreal amount of movement for something that sits mid 90's.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 29, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm kind of amazed that Hader has been this good for so long, he has such a "hucking it" motion that looks like half his pitches should be flying straight into the screen.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Per https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/josh-haders-fastball-is-baseballs-most-mysterious-pitch/:

"For example, Chris Sale throws an average four-seam fastball from nearly the same arm slot (5.45 feet above the ground) as Hader (5.19 feet). But Sale’s pitch is thrown with a 126-degree axis, while Hader’s is thrown with a 147-degree axis, according to Brooks Baseball estimates, putting Hader’s axis closer to level.6 Consequently, Sale has some of the greatest horizontal movement in baseball on his four-seam fastball, while Hader enjoys more vertical movement than Sale does. Hader’s movement is more similar to some over-the-top pitchers.7
For context, Blake Snell has the fourth-highest release point for a four-seam fastball in the majors among lefties, owns a 160-degree spin axis on the pitch (more level) and ranks sixth among all lefties in vertical movement (10.5 inches). Despite Hader’s much lower release point, their fastballs move in a similar way. In essence, Hader has Sale’s release point but Snell’s fastball. Somehow it seems that Hader is able to release a ball with an over-the-top grip and/or wrist position from a side-arm slot."

That's actually more insane than I thought it was. You'd be hard pressed to describe a more unhittable fastball (other than throwing it like 105+ obviously).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Give the Yankees credit. They took care of business against 2 bad teams.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1520075057791475713

First-hand account of pitching with a pitch clock. Can you imagine an hour and 48 minute baseball game? Also WTF, no time for walk-up songs?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://twitter.com/tucktuck6/status/1520065318474981376?s=20&t=SVHAy4UtEfH_tzuVxcpTew

This is by far the best bit. This kid gets it.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 29, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

The Mets are good and fun. Please stop hitting them in the head.

Hmmm no have you considered gently caress the Mets?

no i dont want them getting hit in the head but gently caress the Mets all the same

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
This was a sweet moment from last night's game
https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1519820659643146240?s=20&t=xIArm6jDCHdhX7WbTG2z-Q

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

First-hand account of pitching with a pitch clock. Can you imagine an hour and 48 minute baseball game? Also WTF, no time for walk-up songs?
most of the things he's complaining about in that thread strike me as just what we want from a pitch clock

The only downside I see here is games ending on a pitch clock violation, but that sort of thing should become less frequent as players get used to it.

Not being able to staredown the batter so long, struggling to hold runners on? Those are good outcomes.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

Give the Yankees credit.
Accountsharing is a bannable offense.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1520042292333191174

quote:

Joe Ryan had great numbers coming up through the Rays’ farm system, posting a 2.70 ERA and 309 strikeouts in 217 innings. Despite dominating every level, many national prospect lists and public scouting reports pointed to his fastball-heavy approach and modest velocity as reasons to be skeptical of his upside as a starter, with some even projecting Ryan as a future reliever. Ryan’s fastball averaged just 91-92 mph, yet he regularly threw it more than 75 percent of the time in the minors. He racked up 13 strikeouts per nine innings, but would that one-note approach work against big-league hitters?
[...]
Ryan joined the Twins’ rotation just 40 days after last season’s trade and had immediate success in five September starts, striking out 30 versus five walks in 26 2/3 innings and holding opponents to a .168 batting average. As expected, he was exceedingly fastball reliant, throwing it 65.8 percent of the time to rank among the league leaders for starters.

In their first look at Ryan, major leaguers hit just .172 off his fastball, whiffing on more than 20 percent of their swings despite an average velocity of just 91.2 mph. It was early, but the Twins’ belief in the pitch’s uncommon characteristics appeared to be correct, as Ryan missed lots of bats up in the zone. And his off-speed pitches were surprisingly effective as well.

Ryan used his slider (16.0 percent), changeup (10.4) and curveball (7.8) sparingly in last season’s five-start debut, but he threw them all for strikes while avoiding big damage and missing bats.
[...]
He’s thrown just 52.0 percent fastballs this season and nearly doubled his slider usage from 16.0 to 30.3 percent, with very encouraging results. Ryan’s slider has held opponents to a .185 batting average and zero homers, and they’ve whiffed on 42.6 percent of swings against the pitch, sandwiched between Max Scherzer (43.6 percent) and Gerrit Cole (42.4) on the MLB leaderboard.

In addition to coaches, Ryan also credits veteran right-hander Chris Archer as playing a big role in his slider development. Archer and Ryan were in the Rays organization together, and when Archer signed with the Twins late in spring training they reconnected as rotation mates. Archer, a two-time All-Star and the owner of one of MLB’s best sliders, has become a go-to resource for Ryan.
[...]
“Adding the changeup and having the mix a little bit more will be good,” Ryan said. “That was a huge pitch for me last year and it makes such a difference. As needed, I’ll throw it more. I pitch pretty situationally. Find out which guys it’s going to work the best to. I don’t really look at it as righty or lefty necessarily. I look at it as this hitter and this hitter. And also a lot to do with situations.”

Sure enough, in his fourth start, Wednesday against the Tigers, facing a lineup with four left-handed hitters, Ryan used a pitch mix of 48 fastballs, 25 sliders and a season-high 12 changeups. It was his best start yet, with seven innings of shutout, one-hit ball featuring nine strikeouts and one walk, causing manager Rocco Baldelli to say afterward Ryan “has pitched like an ace to this point.”

Ryan has a sparkling 2.72 ERA, .152 opponents’ batting average and 55-to-11 strikeout-to-walk ratio through nine big-league starts
He's a BABIP monster right now and that'll fade, especially as the league updates its scouting reports and adjusts. Still, the transformation and adaptation he's shown already has to lend some confidence to his ability to counter.

quote:

perhaps even more impressively he’s already changed the lens through which his upside, approach and pitch mix should be viewed. His unique fastball keeps baffling hitters, his slider now looks like a swing-and-miss weapon and his changeup may be next.

“It’s always fun to learn from other people,” Ryan said.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We made it, bro :unsmith:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hand Knit posted:

Having come from the Jays game let me say: Alek Manoah is pretty drat good at the whole throwing baseballs thing.

He's so good. his stuff has been electric since his second batter in his debut. I think I was saying really superlative stuff about him like three innings in and it's been even better than I thought. Kid is gonna be a star.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

this poo poo rocks because you have to imagine as kids how many times they laid awake at night just talking about how great it would be if they both made it to MLB. This moment is literally a dream come true for the Contrerases

https://twitter.com/nbcsgiants/status/1513695235389362182
Tyler and Taylor had a shot at a good moment but were All Business, unfortunately.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Taylor_McGregor/status/1519883447468179457?cxt=HHwWgoCypav82pcqAAAA

I'm gonna be so bummed when the Cubs trade Wilson this year

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yeah, that all seems… excessive. I’m sure some executive with a brain is telling them to loosen up the clocks because it looks like they made everything too short.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Didn’t they already announce they’re lengthening the clock with runners on?

I don’t see an issue with bases empty at all.

And if a consequence of this is pitchers can’t throw max max effort every pitch and strikeouts suffer, that’s also a good thing for the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pitching is so far ahead of hitting right now, anything that neuters pitching a bit is a good move

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
A baseball game taking less than 2 hours honestly sounds like something I might not enjoy but who knows.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Inspector_666 posted:

A baseball game taking less than 2 hours honestly sounds like something I might not enjoy but who knows.

I think it's fine on TV but if I'm paying to go to a game I honestly want it to take 3 hours!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Its weird. It completely changes the flow of things. When I watch a hockey game I sit down knowing I'll get up again in about half an hour. When I watch a football or basketball game I know I'll have a halftime. With baseball I just kind of settle in for the haul or prepare to get up every 15 minutes or so. Its just a different mindset and rhythm. A below 2 hour game changes that. There's no half time or intermission but still the commercial breaks so its not like a movie. I dunno how I'd feel about that. I don't know if I'd hate it or love it. But its completely foreign to how I watch baseball.

And yeah that just makes the price of a ticket and a day at the stadium way less valuable.

Obviously that's an extreme but still.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I doubt we end up with 1.5 hour games in the majors, MLB would just add more commercial time between innings if the pace got that fast.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Baseball games used to be that fast 100 years ago and it was still lovingly referred to as pastoral and pensive

You’ll get used to it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

thehoodie posted:

I think it's fine on TV but if I'm paying to go to a game I honestly want it to take 3 hours!!

Yeah if anything when I'm actually at the park on a nice day, the game feels like it goes by too fast

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bauer got a 2 year suspension.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1520116413133996039

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMAO

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hahahahahaha holy poo poo they actually did it!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

do the dodgers still have to pay him

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

MLB made the right call??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=