Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kanos posted:

This was true at one point, but by this point it isn't true at all. Youtube streaming has been growing enormously in the last couple of years and several of the most watched streamers in the world in terms of hours are youtube exclusive.

Mostly it's just viewerbase comfort. If you establish yourself on one platform, you build an audience from a pool that is comfortable with using that platform, and getting them to follow you to other platforms is going to lose you tons of eyeballs who can't be bothered to use something different. We've seen this kind of thing happen all the way back to TV shows, when even very successful shows that suddenly changed networks or time slots would have their ratings tank. People are creatures of habit.

You can't establish yourself on youtube because there's zero discoverability so it's all people who got famous on twitch. Maybe facebook is better about this but lol facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lots of twitch streamers are also people who have come from mainly youtube videos to twitch streaming since making normal youtube videos kind of pays like poo poo these days

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arzachel posted:

You can't establish yourself on youtube because there's zero discoverability so it's all people who got famous on twitch. Maybe facebook is better about this but lol facebook

Twitch also has zero discoverability and there are a zillion channels on that platform which are a person streaming to like five people begging for follows to push their numbers up to the degree where maybe the recommendation algorithm will pull them out of obscurity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just from interviews with big streamers the only real path from Twitch to YouTube is when YouTube literally calls you and backs a dump truck full of money over to your house, it’s not like it’s an easy, organic transition to make. If you’re a full time Twitch streamer trying to make comparable money on YouTube would be insanely difficult without a ton of infrastructure and promotion, so most Twitch personalities won’t bother unless YouTube does it for them.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rarity posted:

Trusting the guy who made Sonic 2006 sounds like a bad call

Remember during the last steam summer sale when sega was giving away games and they gave away sonic 1, and he complained about them giving away his work for free

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic 06 is rather an all round failure given some inherently bad ideas but also getting hosed around bad in development, half the devs reassigned and rushed for Christmas and all.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I distinctly remember that Blizzard did (still does?) have an exclusivity agreement with YouTube a couple of years ago, and at least for Hearthstone, their viewer numbers tanked hard for just about everything outside of set/card reveals; they were lucky if tournament streams broke 10k viewers, for example.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
just to disambiguate the statement, at least for overwatch, their numbers didn't tank because they went to youtube; they went to youtube because their numbers tanked. twitch didn't want to sign another expensive deal by the look of it, which might have been the one time they made a sensible decision in management there

they also signed a cloud hosting deal with google, i guess in part so they could combine the announcements and make it sound like there was still a lot of money involved in competitive overwatch etc

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Youtube is really bad about serving notifications for streams, letting you know which people you are subscribed (or even have memberships for) to are streaming, and letting you know how long a stream has been going unless you click into it. I'd think that the last one is by design, likely so Youtube doesn't have to fetch realtime numbers on the video listing, but as someone who primarily watches streams on Youtube because of how bad twitch seems to run when I'm trying to watch small time streamers, there's still a lot YT could do to be "good." The notification one in particularly is baffling, because YT will serve me notifications on the web page for a stream I'm watching, for the stream I'm watching, saying it's just starting when I've already been watching for half an hour or more.

Arzachel posted:

Adding also to the above, YT has such a dogshit algorithm for serving you content you might be interested in. Heavy pruning of my history and marking videos/channels as not interested or blocking has lead over the past couple years to YT not actually offering stuff I might find interesting (which I still have to search for) but at least it's now rarer that I get stuff from lovely people. Though, YT will occasionally still try to be like "Hey, remember this creator you watched at some point, even though you've marked their channel as something you no longer want to see because it turned out they were a lovely person-- maybe you want to watch them now???? hmmmm??"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Multiple people who developed YouTube have gone on to a variety of platforms and explained that YouTube is designed from the ground up to show you stuff that will make you upset because people will compulsively continue to consume content that agitates as opposed to compulsively consuming content that relaxes them by an almost 3-1 margin. That’s why some of them quit, cause they realized they were basically giving people the tools to trigger themselves into having anxiety disorders.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, I have enough issues with anxiety that I don't need help on that front, so Youtube's lovely algorithm itself is the only agitating thing I consume on youtube.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

MarcusSA posted:

Can’t you stream to both at the same time?

In theory, monetization on Twitch requires agreeing to an exclusivity contract that prevents you from doing that.

In practice, plenty of people defy that with no consequences. Twitch hands out monetization like candy so almost everyone who streams there has it, and Twitch absolutely does not have the ability to actively police that many people. It's an at-your-own-risk sort of thing, but unless you're megahuge and super well-known, there's a good chance you can take that chance and not get burned.

The problem, in my experience, is discoverability. Streaming is way less visible on YT to begin with, and from what I've heard, you need to build your visibility with the algorithm using prerecorded videos if you want any hope of having your streams shown to people. And a lot of basic features are gated behind having a ton of viewership already.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

even after having marked Not Interested on a bunch of dogshit from ben shapiro et al in my suggestions over the years, youtube still occasionally throws in a non sequitur steven crowder video announcing that I and my friends are not human beings as a suggestion from a video about Elden Ring. it’s extremely good

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I highly recommend using any Adblocker to delete the Suggested Videos column.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

even after having marked Not Interested on a bunch of dogshit from ben shapiro et al in my suggestions over the years, youtube still occasionally throws in a non sequitur steven crowder video announcing that I and my friends are not human beings as a suggestion from a video about Elden Ring. it’s extremely good

That's because there's a video somewhere in your Watch History poisoning your recommendations. You can either track it down manually (not recommended since it would take an absurd amount of time to achieve) or you can purge your entire Watch History (which sucks because you'll lose the decent content influencing your suggestions, but you're likely going to be able to rebuild a content history relevant to you very quickly by just searching up a few videos you ACTUALLY want to watch and going from there).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The video is almost certainly a political but not right wing video because youtube cannot differentiate supporting and opposing something.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Kith posted:

That's because there's a video somewhere in your Watch History poisoning your recommendations. You can either track it down manually (not recommended since it would take an absurd amount of time to achieve) or you can purge your entire Watch History (which sucks because you'll lose the decent content influencing your suggestions, but you're likely going to be able to rebuild a content history relevant to you very quickly by just searching up a few videos you ACTUALLY want to watch and going from there).

I don't think this is good advice, you're just inconveniencing yourself for no reason, when youtube later is just going to decide it's time for some right wing outrage.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't see rightwing poo poo in my recommendations much, but I'm pretty aggressive about clicking 'don't show me this channel' and deleting videos that I've accidentally clicked on and such from my watch history.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
you could simply not watch videos on a poisonous platform and do something better with your time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I almost never see that poo poo in my youtube, thank gently caress. I did have to be super aggressive about telling it all to gently caress off a while back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

moonmazed posted:

you could simply not watch videos on a poisonous platform and do something better with your time

like play video games by poisonous developers

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
still better than youtube

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve honestly never seen poisonous content on YouTube.

By contrast my partner gets recommended Tucker Carlson videos because YouTube thinks she enjoys “debate videos.”

I do spend a gently caress ton of time on YouTube watching videos relevant to me so it’s probably just about the amount of data they have on you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

moonmazed posted:

yeah like post in the gaming subforum of a dead bbcode message board

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I highly recommend hitting the 'clear all watch history' button on youtube from time to time. Both because it refreshes what it shows you and because they've definitely done some work to minimize the amount of insane right wing poo poo that gets suggested to you and if there's nothing in your history, it will show you nearly zero now (and even less after you use the 'don't show me content like this' on any political poo poo that leaks through a couple of times).

That said, it's also good to manually curate your video history because the algo really does not seem to significantly distinguish between you clicking on stuff because you like to see videos on that subject and blind clicking a zero-description off site link.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I just wish channels I've blocked wouldn't show up in specific searches.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

moonmazed posted:

imagine thinking having this on 24/7 repeat isn't a fantastic use of my time

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Detheros posted:

I just wish channels I've blocked wouldn't show up in specific searches.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

imagine thinking having this on 24/7 repeat isn't a fantastic use of my time
Dang, this is outstanding background music.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vegetable posted:

I’ve honestly never seen poisonous content on YouTube.

By contrast my partner gets recommended Tucker Carlson videos because YouTube thinks she enjoys “debate videos.”

I do spend a gently caress ton of time on YouTube watching videos relevant to me so it’s probably just about the amount of data they have on you.
Yeah, "the algorithm" seems a bit more discerning than just feeding you political poo poo because you once watched a Dark Souls video. It's entirely possible to watch both political videos, and videos on subjects that very likely have significant traction among right-wing viewers, and still not get recommended the political videos those people consume. The ability to tell YouTube to not recommend you a channel, or to tell them you're not interested in a video, seems pretty drat effective to me.

As for the thing about the amount of data they have, I want to add/clarify that it's probably the amount of data they have on how to get you to engage a lot with the platform. If the algorithm hasn't managed to find something to hook you with, then it probably ends up falling back on old tricks, even if the trick is literally the kinds of videos you tell it not to recommend. Which I suppose turns it into a sort of blackmail situation, where you can either engage voluntarily until YouTube is satisfied or be served poo poo until you either do or leave.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also you can head into Creator Studio, then settings and block off videos with keywords entirely, such as "entire iceberg explained"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

There is a Firefox and Chrome extension called BLockTube that might work. Not a help on mobile, of course.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, "the algorithm" seems a bit more discerning than just feeding you political poo poo because you once watched a Dark Souls video. It's entirely possible to watch both political videos, and videos on subjects that very likely have significant traction among right-wing viewers, and still not get recommended the political videos those people consume. The ability to tell YouTube to not recommend you a channel, or to tell them you're not interested in a video, seems pretty drat effective to me.

As for the thing about the amount of data they have, I want to add/clarify that it's probably the amount of data they have on how to get you to engage a lot with the platform. If the algorithm hasn't managed to find something to hook you with, then it probably ends up falling back on old tricks, even if the trick is literally the kinds of videos you tell it not to recommend. Which I suppose turns it into a sort of blackmail situation, where you can either engage voluntarily until YouTube is satisfied or be served poo poo until you either do or leave.

I mean it all depends on what they're doing with it, but YT has absolutely pushed conservative politics without a history in it. I read what I think was this article a while ago, but like Brazillian YouTube like had an effect that led to more right-wing politicians being successful there. Essentially young Brazilian men would get gaming videos, gaming videos with a bit of politics, then just outright conservative videos, which they'd been eased to by the earlier gaming videos.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It was really bad, but it's decidedly improved from what it was several years ago, though it may well still be pretty bad if people aren't proactively managing history/recs. That said, the last few times I've loaded up youtube in an incognito window and tried to end up on some insane/alt-right/flat earth/that kinda stuff, it's been hard or nearly impossible to get to from just clicking through sidebar vids. For comparison, 5 years ago when you could click two or three videos past the main youtube page and be in alt-right or flat earther poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 30, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The recently added mouse-over preview also counts as a watch for history

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Studio posted:

I mean it all depends on what they're doing with it, but YT has absolutely pushed conservative politics without a history in it. I read what I think was this article a while ago, but like Brazillian YouTube like had an effect that led to more right-wing politicians being successful there. Essentially young Brazilian men would get gaming videos, gaming videos with a bit of politics, then just outright conservative videos, which they'd been eased to by the earlier gaming videos.
For sure. It's not the solution to the systemic issue, but it can work at the level of the individual.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The "don't show me stuff like this" button is very good ime

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I recommend just subscribing to all the channels you like and then only accessing youtube through a bookmark of the 'subscriptions' tab. For whatever reason, the algorithm gives me much more sane recommendations in the sidebar after doing this. Plus I get to watch the channels I like and don't spend unnecessary time browsing youtube. Good content creators will even link to channels they like, which lets me circumvent youtube's recommendations entirely.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Yeah, when YT introduced the explore page I updated my bookmark to take me straight to my subscription page and never looked back.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also you can head into Creator Studio, then settings and block off videos with keywords entirely, such as "entire iceberg explained"

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arzachel posted:

The recently added mouse-over preview also counts as a watch for history

Yup! Also annoying if you hover over a video for even a few seconds. And it starts at the beginning of the video instead of the old preview style where you could reasonably get an idea of what was in the video rather than just starting to see whatever inane intro the video has. I'm willing to bet it still counts as a view for the channel even if you remove it from your history AND counts towards discoverability for other people to be recommended it based on them sharing interests.

The sidebar in specific I only ever touch if I'm watching like an LP series of some sort because that seems to have even worse recommendations on average than Home.