Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pylons posted:

Fujita was set to beat Kaito Kiyomiya and Kenoh in short, dominant fashion to come in to the Budokan match as strong as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT just annoys me with their overuse on poo poo acts like Pheromones, NOAH makes me genuinely angry with their booking choices. Such a shame because their house style appeals to me so much

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What loving evidence is there that
Fujita is even a draw? loving hell. "We need him to bear everyone under 40 to keep him strong before we match with Akiyama"?

NOSAWA & Kashin are loving idiots.

If people aren't willing to job to your top guys then get then to gently caress. Kaito Kiyomiya is the future of this company, Keiji Mutoh has at most 2-3 years left I him. Mortgaging the future to sell an extra 1,000 tickets in the Budokan today is beyond stupid.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Loyalty in Japan is really a blessing and a curse because Kiyomiya could be so much better served elsewhere but will likely not leave.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Giving Fujita the least bad of the Inoki-ism IWGP titles holders a long reign to sell tickets sure is galaxy brain booking in any age

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honestly I don't see Fujita as even in the main event picture, let alone holding the title. He's a good National champion, but he's not a company flagship.

It feels like booking Noah should be the simplest thing in the world. Your title picture should revolve around Kenoh, Kiyomiya, Nakajima, and Shiozaki, with others cycling in and out (get Marufuji to challenge, put Kitamiya in there for a minute, break out Sugiura when necessary). Make the National title the veterans belt. Bounce the heavyweight tag titles between veterans and younger wrestlers. Hothouse people like Inamura. People will come out for Mutoh, but he doesn't need a title to be an attraction. I have no faith people are coming out for Fujita.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

what's the harm in letting Nakajima or Kenoh shoot on old guys refusing to job?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Sticky Nate posted:

what's the harm in letting Nakajima or Kenoh shoot on old guys refusing to job?
I'm skeptical about how well that would go against the most obvious member of that category.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, I mean, Fujita was a competent Heavyweight MMA fighter. Never near the best but notorious for being extremely difficult to KO. I don't care what qualifications Nakajima & Kenoh have, old rear end Fujita, worst case scenario, uses his amateur wrestling background to rain down ground & pound on them & it could get ugly. As far as I know he still has a pretty decent chin even if he's not quite Ol' Ironhead so much anymore. It'd be a big longshot to floor him with one perfectly timed kick.

What I'm saying is I would not start a fight with Kazuyuki Fujita, even at 51.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You also have Hideki Suzuki being stingy about jobs and I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for them to try to shoot on him either!

But it would be entertaining so NOAH should do it.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 29, 2022

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The reality is that covid has caused a significant contraction of the Japanese wrestling market and Noah think geezers draw because Muto had a couple of good gates.

People talk about stardom doing well during the pandemic and I think it's fair to say they have but it's within the context of a struggling market. Those sumo hall shows stardom drew are impressive in 2022 but would have been one of the worst sumo hall gates in 2019 and a few smaller promotions run ryogoku that year like bjw and the wwe

I can't imagine cyberagent is getting a great return on investment right now. Bushiroad has just been breaking even with arguably (and nooj is the biggest by miles) the two biggest promotions in the country.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We need a NOAH-equivalent of the 'MAKE WAY NEW STARS' image.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Joshi feds got hot in the mid-90s but struggled as it became about the same top stars who never left, and new talent wasn't as good. Feds like Stardom have broken out of that "faded hall-of-famers and lesser younger stars" mold and found moderate success.

New Japan was falling down a similar path but eventually the Okada/Tanahashi generation took over and the whole thing was refreshed.

AJ, NOAH, Z1 are all been trapped in the same death spiral that doomed All Japan Women and other joshi feds, and I don't see much of a way out at this point, because so many younger stars are tainted after years of being subordinate to dinosaurs.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
One thing the Joshi promotions have been doing is a lot of swapping around/poaching which has the effect of turning promising midcarders into genuine stars for their new promotions.

As outlined in this tweet
https://twitter.com/oystersearrings/status/1519998909472514049

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean NOAH's original downfall was due to the inability to make stars out of young guys and push them as the top guys so in a way its very on brand for them to be stuck in Mutoh/Fujita hell

Doubly funny with Mutoh given what he did to All Japan!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think it's entirely fair to AJPW to lump them in with the likes of NOAH, they are trying to make the main event scene revolve around Kento, Yuma and Jake. Suwama got a lengthy reign during the pandemic sure but he's from the same generation as like Tanahashi and Ishii and not a dude pushing 60

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Haven't caught up with Yesterday's All Japan show so don't know who's in the finals against Lee, but I saw on Twitter that Hikaru Sato's next challenger is Yusuke Kodama.

gently caress the hell yes, I love that troll bastard

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean NOAH's original downfall was due to the inability to make stars out of young guys and push them as the top guys so in a way its very on brand for them to be stuck in Mutoh/Fujita hell

Doubly funny with Mutoh given what he did to All Japan!

Aren’t kenoh and Nakajima relative young guys? Those guys should be considered stars.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TV Zombie posted:

Aren’t kenoh and Nakajima relative young guys? Those guys should be considered stars.

They absolutely should be, but they were recently destroyed by the 50+ crowd (Kenoh in less than 5 minutes) and lost their belts looking completely inneffectual

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Even though I vastly prefer Nakajima to Kenoh, Nakajima isn't a great talker and hasn't really done well when given the ball but Kenoh is like insanely charismatic and did like almost 6k in his main event with Kaito at Sumo Hall so he should be a top guy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kaito's 25 too so he should easily be a cornerstone to build around so of course guess who did the job in the Main event tag against Tanahashi/Okada

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kongo vs. LIJ, and Naito vs. Kenoh and Nakajima vs. Shingo in particular, seemed not only like no-brainers but the angles they were building towards for a future New Japan/NOAH collaboration. Kenoh appeared to be the main voice of NOAH leading into that third Wrestle Kingdom joint-show, it was a bright and exciting time for NOAH and they appeared to be on the cusp of something.

Then they had Kenoh lose his first post WK defense against one old dude, while Nakajima went into his match against Fujita with the angle of,"Fujita doesn't take him seriously and just laughs at him" and then Fujita just.... tanked Nakajima's finishers and casually beat him and that was that, NOAH was dead.

And the big thing they sacrificed Kenoh and Nakajima for? The thing they ended up having to abandon because shockingly it turns out old guys are prone to injury and sickness? A loving Mutoh match :cripes:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NJPW found a better promotion to partner with anyway. A promotion with a young upstart rich wrestling fan at the helm committed to pushing younger talent. And we're all looking forward to their upcoming crossover event Shingo & CIMA vs Bulk Orchestra

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

NJPW found a better promotion to partner with anyway. A promotion with a young upstart rich wrestling fan at the helm committed to pushing younger talent. And we're all looking forward to their upcoming crossover event Shingo & CIMA vs Bulk Orchestra

Little Nobu vs Slightly less Little Nobu when

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Even though I vastly prefer Nakajima to Kenoh, Nakajima isn't a great talker and hasn't really done well when given the ball but Kenoh is like insanely charismatic and did like almost 6k in his main event with Kaito at Sumo Hall so he should be a top guy

Also Nakajima isn't old but he's been around forever as not a top guy so when you dick around with his push it hurts twice as much because it reinforces he's not a big star.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Also Nakajima isn't old but he's been around forever as not a top guy so when you dick around with his push it hurts twice as much because it reinforces he's not a big star.

Also known as the Goto-effect

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Little Nobu vs Slightly less Little Nobu when

Bulk Orchestra showing up in NJPW would be incredible. I'd put them against LIJ though because I imagine they'd have funny promo offs with Shingo and Naito

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nakajima might have a few months of experience on Goto too!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's bananas that we're seeing crossovers between DDT/AEW, NJPW/AEW, NJPW/GLEAT, NJPW/NOAH, and NOAH/DG this year.

Wrestling's real good, y'all.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

RVD had a video package on the NOAH show to announce he would be at CyberFight Festival. He looked real old.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Kongo vs. LIJ, and Naito vs. Kenoh and Nakajima vs. Shingo in particular, seemed not only like no-brainers but the angles they were building towards for a future New Japan/NOAH collaboration. Kenoh appeared to be the main voice of NOAH leading into that third Wrestle Kingdom joint-show, it was a bright and exciting time for NOAH and they appeared to be on the cusp of something.

Then they had Kenoh lose his first post WK defense against one old dude, while Nakajima went into his match against Fujita with the angle of,"Fujita doesn't take him seriously and just laughs at him" and then Fujita just.... tanked Nakajima's finishers and casually beat him and that was that, NOAH was dead.

And the big thing they sacrificed Kenoh and Nakajima for? The thing they ended up having to abandon because shockingly it turns out old guys are prone to injury and sickness? A loving Mutoh match :cripes:

I have friends who are really into New Japan but not much Puro beyond that. I showed them several of the Kiyo / Kenoh / Nak matches from last year and the start of this year and they were absolutely hooked because it was exciting and different. And then each of those guys just got casually murdered by a different old dude, and their interest dropped out as fast as it had come on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

RVD had a video package on the NOAH show to announce he would be at CyberFight Festival. He looked real old.

Congrats to upcoming GHC Heavyweight Champion RVD.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah but unlike that loser (affectionate) Hirooki Goto, Nakajima has actually won the top belt, twice even!

Can't believe Suwama is Tanahashi's generation, he moves closer to Tenzan.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/PepsWrestling/status/1520352032368037888

Look how long he held that pin, geez. Would have gotten like a 12 count if they did the Shingo/Taichi match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Yeah but unlike that loser (affectionate) Hirooki Goto, Nakajima has actually won the top belt, twice even!

Can't believe Suwama is Tanahashi's generation, he moves closer to Tenzan.

Tanahashi is ten days older and has 5 years more experience!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
A freaking double underhook suplex finisher in TYOOL 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1520500710420496385?s=20&t=eiD06Q5k7Tnl-bmSjzLcsA

Oh boy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mutoh kept doing the moonsault for how long despite Doctor's telling him it'd do him major damage so I believe he'll keep going until he's actually in a wheel chair

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The huge problem is that Nosawa Rongai is - and I say this as someone who is one himself - a fanboy. For him, each moment where he books a wrestling company that contains Keiji Mutoh is better than any other moment could be. He will move heaven and earth to keep Mutoh wrestling, whether that's giving him the title, whether that's putting him over every young guy in the company, whether that's ignoring every warning from every doctor.

There needs to be a moment where a kind friend tells Mutoh that this can't happen any more, that he is at the point where each time he wrestles hurts him more and past the point where he would bounce back. Not that Nosawa is that friend. Not that Mutoh would listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I mean NOAH has positioned itself as promotion for nostalgics and fan boys. Who can blame 'em? They've found reasonable success in that

However, nostalgia isn't a sustainable at all and they've subjected themselves to the Hulk Hogan curse.