Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels like “this time they are letting women compete” is setting up some nice manufactured drama.

And the shark attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

F. Murray Abraham isn't going to be in Mythic Quest Season 3, which is a bummer. Though given where season 2 ended, probably easy to work around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's the risk of having an old dude in your show.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Don't mind admitting that cut in WeCrashed from "No podcasts!" to RPN on a podcast and then being introduced as "Adam Neumann's wife" had me literally crying with laughter.

Perfect timing and escalation. I mean, it's not Great Art really, but that moment had me, right in the funnybone.

Plucky little Apple.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

The latest episode of Slow Horses was great, but they seriously need to invest in anti-wipes all around.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The way Pachinko has been expanding the material in adaptation is beginning to frustrate me. They have this wonderfully charismatic actress playing middle Sunja but they're focusing far more on (imo) more boring characters. Particularly, the expanded material largely focuses on men and brings in more American perspectives, when it's the story of a Korean woman establishing a place for herself and her family in Japan that is central to the story. I don't mind adaptations making changes, but I didn't realise when the show started that they want to adapt the novel into four seasons! That's a lot of padding out!

This complaint spurred by the episode spent entirely on the backstory of the Yakuza creep who got teenage Sunja pregnant. The casting really undercuts the creepiness there by hiding the significant age gap.

edit: this is objectively a really well made, incredibly acted episode of tv I just really dislike the character

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 22, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ninurta posted:

The latest episode of Slow Horses was great, but they seriously need to invest in anti-wipes all around.

It’s great that they stuck to 6 episodes, the pace throughout the whole series has been really good.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Chairman Capone posted:

F. Murray Abraham isn't going to be in Mythic Quest Season 3, which is a bummer. Though given where season 2 ended, probably easy to work around.

Just binged both seasons and this is very disappointing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Slow Horses wrapping up the main season plot line then spending some extra episode time setting everything up for a ghosts of the past second season is masterful. Hopefully it comes reasonably soon since they've clearly already filmed it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Don't mind admitting that cut in WeCrashed from "No podcasts!" to RPN on a podcast and then being introduced as "Adam Neumann's wife" had me literally crying with laughter.

Perfect timing and escalation. I mean, it's not Great Art really, but that moment had me, right in the funnybone.

Plucky little Apple.

I liked WeCrashed, but it was clear that the scriptwriter intended the show to be a comedy, and then neither the lead actors nor the directors of the episodes realised that and played it completely straight. It was a bit weird.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I liked WeCrashed, but it was clear that the scriptwriter intended the show to be a comedy, and then neither the lead actors nor the directors of the episodes realised that and played it completely straight. It was a bit weird.

I liked that aspect of it actually, it's a wonderful representation of the whole thing using the medium. To describe WeWork in a paragraph is to tell a joke, but people took it seriously for some reason.

Stretching a movie-length script into a miniseries, now that I did not like.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah there's really no need to wink wink through it because by the end of the day it's not satire. Creative liberties about private moments set aside, almost all of this really happened.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished Foundation today and, while it is absolutely gorgeous, each episode feels stuffed with filler. Boring action scenes that keep going and going, scenes where the character is reflecting that go one for a minute or two longer than feels natural, etc.

It was still better than I expected, however.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shining Girls is quite intriguing. Apple is by far the best streaming platform right now

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Of the three grifter dramedy miniseries that have come out this year (WeCrashed, Inventing Anna, The Dropout), I actually think I liked WeCrashed the most. It was the least sympathetic portrayal of the central figure in all of those, while also highlighting the true absurdity of every aspect of these scams.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
anyone see Dickinson? would you recommend it?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chairman Capone posted:

Of the three grifter dramedy miniseries that have come out this year (WeCrashed, Inventing Anna, The Dropout), I actually think I liked WeCrashed the most. It was the least sympathetic portrayal of the central figure in all of those, while also highlighting the true absurdity of every aspect of these scams.

Adam in WeCrashed was pretty sympathetic I think. He was wasting a ton of money, but he wasn't actively trying to harm anyone. Elizabeth Holmes in The Dropout was pretty darn evil.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Oasx posted:

Adam in WeCrashed was pretty sympathetic I think. He was wasting a ton of money, but he wasn't actively trying to harm anyone. Elizabeth Holmes in The Dropout was pretty darn evil.

He's a greedy piece of poo poo taking full advantage of everyone he meets. I'll grant you he's not uniquely lovely, and it's funny that he's blowing tons of money in stupid ways, but sympathetic?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

I would recommend it for sure!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lady Radia posted:

It's a really odd show. Honestly, real life Emily Dickinson had such an boring and secluded life that it's a bad choice to make a direct adaption of it. So instead they made it weirdly achromatic, where people seem to have mindsets and language of modern day, while still making the same choices as their historical counterparts. It gave me a bit of a whiplash. Like, these women are strong willed and don't respect the burden of the patriarchy, or the inherent biases of society, but when push comes to shove, they accept that it's proper for a woman to be the property of a man.

On the other hand Hailee Steinfeld is amazing, so I guess I'd recommend it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 1, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m very glad to reveal that Tehran season 2 is starting as badly as season 1 ended. I love this god awful show.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

I’m very glad to reveal that Tehran season 2 is starting as badly as season 1 ended. I love this god awful show.

What’s so bad about it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd actually take back the fun bad thing, I turned off episode 2 halfway because I was getting super bored. Season 1 they at least had a clear main plot thread to follow that made sense, season 2 the main plot comes out to be "we need to assassinate the head of the Iranian military" which is a big ask given how completely the supposed protagonists failed in season 1. Also the only likable character from season 1, who is also set up as the main direct villain, is now being much more cartoonishly nasty. Season 1 he was kinda sympathetically written as a man who had reasons for acting how he was, now he's just being an rear end in a top hat to the wife he spent all of last season trying to save because she's upset about him going back to work. The whole concept of a second season also kinda has to have a forced reason to exist given the entire run of the first episode is that the main end goal of the 2 protagonists getting out of Tehran is not only possible but actively right in front of them and they need to figure out a way of making them turn it down.

Basically it feels like they realised "oh poo poo the Mossad are meant to be the good guys" and have gone super far on making the Iranians cartoonishly evil, and the show's a lot less of a fun mess as a result because the protagonists are still black holes of charisma and the new Mossad field leader (hey kids it's Glenn Close!) isn't any more interesting. They really haven't done it any favours too scheduling it to start right after Slow Horses finished because it's a sharp downgrade in spy show quality from that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

About to watch Season 2 but the first season REALLY wrote themselves into a corner.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

Ninurta posted:

Is this show worth a watch? I just finished the first novel and loved it, it was a great crime/spy novel and I'm curious as to how it translates.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It's good once you get over how gross and smelly Gary Oldman is.

It required special effects like greasy spray and makeup to make his nose all red and gross!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxeV-ISe3Ls

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 10, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Is this show worth a watch? I just finished the first novel and loved it, it was a great crime/spy novel and I'm curious as to how it translates.

I got a vaguely Coen Brothers vibe, it felt solidly dark comedy to me. I enjoyed it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Absolutely!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

JohnnyQPublic posted:

It's definitely worth a watch, they've also filmed a second season covering Dead Lions as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really enjoying the first two episodes of The Essex Serpent... outside of the "we need a housing bill" subplot. I never watched Homeland so I feel like this is the first time I've seen Claire Danes in something for a while, and she's good. Visually the Essex parts remind me of Andrea Arnold's adaptation of Wuthering Heights.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This dinosaur documentary thing coming out soon looks cool as hell

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

blue squares posted:

This dinosaur documentary thing coming out soon looks cool as hell

I'm working on a separate project with one of the dinosaur consultants for the show, and he is super excited for it. I can't wait!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long to attempt what looks like a straight up Walking With Dinosaurs remake.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did anyone actually watch that surfer documentary? Haven’t gotten around to it but haven’t heard any chatter.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

First ep of Shining Girls was okay enough for me to keep watching

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

First ep of Shining Girls was okay enough for me to keep watching

I love this show! I wish there was a thread but :effort:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Throwing another vote on the "absolutely" pile.
Just watched all of it today and it was really entertaining start to finish.
Loved the pacing, 6 episode seasons are my new favourite thing.
It had some great, likeable and loathsome characters.
Can't wait for season 2 to pick up some of the first season's threads.

Still giggling thinking about Oldman's graveyard pep talk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode 1 of Prehistoric Planet was great.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The old mosasaur having a nice underwater spa day :kimchi:

Then he nearly loving drowns the other one in a trench, run up and get done up

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how he goes right back to sunbathing