Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its really easy. you just plug it in and you'll see a new audio input device - this is basically 'what u hear' out of the mixer, as a stereo input to the computer, and a new output device, which just uses the mixer as a USB to audio output adapter with no faders or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah its little baby keys. you're not gonna be playing moonlight sonata on it, but it's 100% adequate for slapping some pads or some bass synth notes.

hmm good to know

I’ve gone thru a few different midi keyboards over the past year and mini keys is a deal breaker for me

the casio electric piano I have at the moment is probably the nicest to play but it was a foolish purchase given it’s full size (88) and lacks even mod wheel and certainly has no pads/faders etc

I haven’t yet struck the “perfect” one, although the novation launchkeys was close. maybe I should just get one of those again 🤔

cycling thru different things is expensive lol

I was using the novation circuit tracks as a drum machine and sequencer and it does those but it did make more sense when I was DAWless but now I am not, and am thinking of replacing it with a novation mini-launch pad, but using the launch pad entirely as a playing surface. spose i’ll waste some money finding that out too 😂

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also does anyone use cabinet simulation?

i’ve gotten into a habit of running stuff thru guitar rig and often either turning off the amp and just using the cab simulation or using the amp but gain turned right down so it’s barely colouring the signal

definitely cuts out some high end so it can feel like I’m missing something, but otoh it sounds like a realistic way to mellow it out

like when people play synths live do they mic a cab or DI into the mixer?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
synths never get di/'amp simulation' unless you're like pretending you're atari teenage riot, who used marshall 800 stacks as a PA to be edgelords

i do use impulse responses as i have a half dozen or so Neural DSP guitar plugins (if you have to get just one get the Gojira archetype)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤔 sorry maybe I’m using the wrong terminology because I thought DI meant running it directly into the mixer, although I do realise DI is something that’s needed for mics and guitars and probably not necessary for a synth, but I did just mean using the synth output as is

but yeah something I’ve been wondering about lately anyway so thanks :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sup td3 friend

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i like it! i was looking at the nubass but those are still going for 230 new, 150-175 used. and as much as i like the volca as a concept the td-3 is perfectly good in comparison

as soon as i figure out how to sequence it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh yeah, and ill need pedals. that’s one huge advantage of the daw…

Achmed Jones posted:

sup td3 friend

:coal:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sequencing it sucks so bad, i either just gently caress around with the keyboard or hook it up to ableton

i think i messed with the sequencer exactly once and noped out

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jonny 290 posted:

synths never get di/'amp simulation' unless you're like pretending you're atari teenage riot, who used marshall 800 stacks as a PA to be edgelords

i do use impulse responses as i have a half dozen or so Neural DSP guitar plugins (if you have to get just one get the Gojira archetype)

I like ATR a lot when I'm in the mood for something dumb and angry.

Alec Empire's solo stuff shows a huge breadth (he is actually aware of things that aren't the Amen break or distorted 909) but in the past few months after years of silence he, or whoever runs his social media, is going whole hog on NFTs.

Low On Ice and Generation Star Wars are both incredible albums

NDSP Gojira is so good though.

I'll run synths through amps but turn off the cab, whereas drums I quite like with a bit of impulses/cabs blended in. A touch of the Convolver in Trash 2 can be magic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's a pretty good play, yeah. Amps can be really good for synths but once you throw a cab emulation in the mix it sounds like you're playing through a peavey amp or whatever. Kills the sharp lows and highs that synths are capable of.

Meanwhile amps are generally bad for drums as they ruin all the dynamics and all you hear is the ring from the heads and cymbal wash, but cabs ARE very good because they moderate things and make it sound like you're playing a real kit.

that being said these are all my general points of guidance and not hard facts, if somebody likes a synth through a fender twin and a 4x10 i'll never stop them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

sequencing it sucks so bad, i either just gently caress around with the keyboard or hook it up to ableton

i think i messed with the sequencer exactly once and noped out

i cant help but think theres some reason for it to be like that. maybe what its designed for is most easily sequenced or at least thought of in that fashion. like some sorta hosed up api, or stack-oriented programming. otherwise i cant explain why pitch and duration/rest are sequenced completely separately

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 29, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i suppose it wouldnt have gotten so famous if it wasnt so weird

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lol i cant get sequencing working

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

idk, it's a clone of a synth that's over 40 years old, the fact that it _could_ sequence was probably cool back in the day. but it was a commercial failure, and ended up in bargain bins and pawn shops, then acid house happened after it'd already been discontinued bc people could get em for cheap and make cool poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

internal clock was off

https://youtu.be/wnEaXv2prc8

suck cess

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

idk, it's a clone of a synth that's over 40 years old, the fact that it _could_ sequence was probably cool back in the day. but it was a commercial failure, and ended up in bargain bins and pawn shops, then acid house happened after it'd already been discontinued bc people could get em for cheap and make cool poo poo

yeah the 80s were basically the loving stone age for long form composition so im just impressed people made albums with this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont have enough aux cables to run all my modules into my mixer :mad:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

That's a pretty good play, yeah. Amps can be really good for synths but once you throw a cab emulation in the mix it sounds like you're playing through a peavey amp or whatever. Kills the sharp lows and highs that synths are capable of.

Meanwhile amps are generally bad for drums as they ruin all the dynamics and all you hear is the ring from the heads and cymbal wash, but cabs ARE very good because they moderate things and make it sound like you're playing a real kit.

that being said these are all my general points of guidance and not hard facts, if somebody likes a synth through a fender twin and a 4x10 i'll never stop them

you can/should mix in some dry signal with the cab sim so its not all can

for drums the same but also some compression and gating will help for bringing out the part of the sound that you really care about

thats my theory at least

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my favorite drum trick is to put a compressor on an aux bus, set it to full slam mode, and gently bring drums in via the aux send knobs. just adds this air and meat without killing the transients

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

one of these days I will figure out how to program drums and then I will finally be able to write and record music

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
2 methods are

-air drum which keeps parts realistic as you only have 4 limbs. Or less maybe. Not more.

-set a metronome notes so it goes

BEEP boop boop boop

Then build up your parts drum by drum. I often do closed hi hats first, but if you're fresh to drums then it can't hurt to have your snare on the 2 and the 4 ie

BEEP boop(snare) boop boop(snare)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FUUUUuuuck touched something I shouldn’t have and blasted the gently caress out of my ears

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

til mixers are dangerous

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

humble lil bundle

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

FUUUUuuuck touched something I shouldn’t have and blasted the gently caress out of my ears

no better time to learn about gain staging than now

cue black and white footage of a person fumbling with a synth, grimace and bleeding ears. theres got to be abetter way

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

auto mute in reaper has probably saved my ears a million times when listening to random presets/instruments

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those volca things look interesting and also cost effective but I really struggle with the name "volca" it rubs me up the wrong way

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Kazinsal posted:

one of these days I will figure out how to program drums and then I will finally be able to write and record music

You can always do what I did at first... get really wasted, buy a bunch of drum pattern MIDI files, and play with the drum vst settings, effects, and bpm. Then start chopping them up and rearranging them.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

2 methods are

-air drum which keeps parts realistic as you only have 4 limbs. Or less maybe. Not more.

-set a metronome notes so it goes

BEEP boop boop boop

Then build up your parts drum by drum. I often do closed hi hats first, but if you're fresh to drums then it can't hurt to have your snare on the 2 and the 4 ie

BEEP boop(snare) boop boop(snare)
I find it easiest to start with a simple accented kick and snare pattern to give a 'structure' and then gradually adding decorations around that, eg hats, toms, different velocites/ghost notes, rolls, fills, chokes etc...its dead easy to experiment by just randomly hitting notes while the loop is playing and adding hits that sound good. soon enough you'll have an intuition to guide you and it won't be so random.

this video kinda shows this technique, building the Amen break in a drum machine (and then chopping it up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8ugmv3Qns

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

toiletbrush posted:

I find it easiest to start with a simple accented kick and snare pattern to give a 'structure' and then gradually adding decorations around that, eg hats, toms, different velocites/ghost notes, rolls, fills, chokes etc...its dead easy to experiment by just randomly hitting notes while the loop is playing and adding hits that sound good. soon enough you'll have an intuition to guide you and it won't be so random.

this video kinda shows this technique, building the Amen break in a drum machine (and then chopping it up)

jesus mary and joseph, drums are complicated :stare:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

just slam the keyboard randomly, quantize to the grid, loop 4 bars of it, mute all notes and start enabling them one by one. go by feel and your brain’s pattern matching will make the beat work. add 16th note hihats and a bass drum every other beat if its too confusing

read theory all you want, but you will not succeed making anything if you dont try it out too

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

jesus mary and joseph, drums are complicated :stare:
they're really not, and apologies if that post made it sound like they are, cos it really wasn't meant to. It's just a case of starting with something simple, and then decorating it, mucking about until you develop an intuition.

like, start with a simple 2-step d&b pattern...
K . . . S . . . . . K . S . . .

...add hats in some of the gaps, experiment with leaving gaps or changing velocities of individual notes and see how it sounds to you

experiment with putting quieter snares (or kicks) in different spots and seeing how it sounds, particular on odd vs even beats

add toms and other weirder drums in random spots

muck around with adding runs of slightly quieter snares on 32th notes before or after the regular snares to simulate snare rolls (or ignore quantisation altogether and make a smear of hits to sound a bit more human)

Penisface posted:

just slam the keyboard randomly, quantize to the grid, loop 4 bars of it, mute all notes and start enabling them one by one. go by feel and your brain’s pattern matching will make the beat work. add 16th note hihats and a bass drum every other beat if its too confusing

read theory all you want, but you will not succeed making anything if you dont try it out too
this might be better advice

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

haha yeah, I'm not really a master of timing or anything and my coordination is terrible so drums have always felt bizarre to me. part of me wants to work on my limb coordination and get a cheap drum kit MIDI controller but I also feel like maybe I should just try to figure it all out on the MIDI keyboard I have first.

another, more evil part of me, wants to go throw down a bunch of money on a TR-808 clone, of course

e: lol of course every hobby musician's favourite friends over at behringer have a ~400 CAD TR-808 clone on the market. bless them

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 1, 2022

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if you want to try physical coordination, the cheapest option is a pair of real drumsticks and a practice pad. play paradiddles with a metronome to get some hand dexterity and feeling for timing. play along to some radio or playlist to get exposed to different rhythms

spending 10-20 minutes on hand/wrist warmup is super life changing for being able to play what you want and enjoy it instead of flailing and failing

if you like it and want to take it to a next level, consider getting a “real” drumkit

note that no matter if you play a real drumkit, a electronic kit or a practice pad, there will be always enough noise to piss off people in the same room or apartment

im mostly finger drumming on a mpc1000 these days and occasionally playing a real kit in rental studios. both activities are cool in their own way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im very good at air drumming

very average on a real kit

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there are air drum solutions like this https://aerodrums.com/ https://freedrum.rocks/

i never tried those but maybe they are good

im mostly worried about midi latency, reliability and playing feel (nothing to bounce against in air and it might put weird stress on your hands/joints)

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Achmed Jones posted:

sup td3 friend

Pollyanna posted:

humble lil bundle

what up acid buds

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

toiletbrush posted:

I love chopping Amens so much!
its so zen no matter whether it's midi for a sampler, raw audio on the timeline or just hex chaos in Renoise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

there are air drum solutions like this https://aerodrums.com/ https://freedrum.rocks/

i never tried those but maybe they are good

im mostly worried about midi latency, reliability and playing feel (nothing to bounce against in air and it might put weird stress on your hands/joints)

haha I don't think me feeling like I can nail the drum parts with air drumming really translates to being able to play

for a while my son wanted to drum and itd be a good excuse to get an electric kit but he doesn't seem too fussed anymore, he plods away playing smoke on the water on the bass sometimes but lol thats about it

and tbh I should just put all musical energy into getting better at keys, it's what's giving me the most joy, if I wasn't so hopeless I'd do lessons or something