Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IPad Mini down to $400 at Amazon, Costco, Target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I wouldn’t call it a laptop replacement exactly but my 12.9” pro almost immediately became my main computer.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bobstar posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. I got my gear home (and connected to my wifi), and it started working again, so I guess they got over themselves. But I'll keep that in my pocket for next time.

^^Yeah from my googling the VPN thing jumped out at the most likely culprit. Annoying because I'm most likely to be using a VPN in a hotel, which is also where I Sidecar. But I'll experiment next time I'm not busy and see if I can work around it.

I guess even wired, it uses some form of networking?
I know this is from a few weeks back but I ran into a similar problem with Universal Control between two Macs while working from home. I had my work one running on our corporate VPN (with split tunnelling) and my personal Mac on the same local network and the second I connected the VPN on my work laptop Universal Control would immediately stop working.

In my case I’ve tracked it down to Cisco’s AnyConnect VPN behaving poorly on macOS with the way that it adds the routes for the tunnel and was able to resolve it by using a different VPN client (openconnect from Homebrew) so maybe something like that will help in your case too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've had my 11 inch pro for about a week, and I use it way more for browsing and whatever, so timewise its definitely my main computer. I write for a living but also have a terrible attention span so it's been helpful for when I've just needed to focus on a piece of writing to just plug in a usbc keyboard and go for it. But if I'm working on something that needs constant reference to more than one or two other sources, or some kind of hellish spreadsheet, the screen real estate of my desktop will probably come in handy.

But if I wanted to go to a cafe and work on some copy I wouldn't think twice about bringing it along with some kind of lil keyboard.
There are a lot of weird grabby gestures to flip between apps, but the processor handles it really well and it always feels snappy. Last iPad I had was an iPad 2, and trying to work on it was a huge pain - apps were always getting kicked out of memory. This feels like way more.of a real computer, I hope the os updates keep heading in the right direction.

But as others have suggested, I think ultimately you'll know before you buy the thing if it works for your use case in place of a real laptop. It's still a huge iPhone in a lot of ways.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shrike82 posted:

i'm curious what the workflow is for people who use the pros with the magic keyboard and find it usable as a laptop replacement

it's so big and unwieldy

I don't find it any more big or unwieldy than my old 15" MBP used to be (since it's objectively smaller, not sure about lighter) and if I want more agile use I just take it off the keyboard which is a one hand action that's easy to do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is not intended as a dig, but I can't imagine a world where an iPad will ever be an adequate computer replacement for someone who considers three monitors the bare minimum.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Get 2 more iPads.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Now introducing the Apple TriPad Pro.

I'd buy it :shrug:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just put in some of those magnet connectors around the edges of each iPad so they can be snapped together into as large of an array as you want. When they are snapped together all of them but the first go into external monitor mode.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get 2 more iPads.

I'm imagining those people that have tanning reflectors pointed at their head like an eighties sitcom, but they're Wall Street hedge fund guys

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

withak posted:

Just put in some of those magnet connectors around the edges of each iPad so they can be snapped together into as large of an array as you want. When they are snapped together all of them but the first go into external monitor mode.

How many do you have to attach to form Voltron?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

This is not intended as a dig, but I can't imagine a world where an iPad will ever be an adequate computer replacement for someone who considers three monitors the bare minimum.

To be fair, it has the hardware. Using it as a single replacement monitor is fine, albeit a bit wonky. It certainly needs an output to a 27"+ monitor though for actual desktop tasks

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the ipad is fine for stuff like web browsing or writing a basic document but i still don't get how a macbook air isn't better once you're actively using the tablet with the magic keyboard

the weight distribution is crap and especially for the 12.9", the combined weight is heavier than an MBA

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

shrike82 posted:

the ipad is fine for stuff like web browsing or writing a basic document but i still don't get how a macbook air isn't better once you're actively using the tablet with the magic keyboard

the weight distribution is crap and especially for the 12.9", the combined weight is heavier than an MBA

a macbook air doesn't become a tablet when i want a tablet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Huh? The weight distribution is fine, the magic keyboard is actually heavier and most of it is in the keyboard base so it’s quite well balanced.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what's the best audiobook player for iPad that supports downloaded books? on android I use Smart Audiobook and it's perfecto

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t get people who consider the iPad a full computer replacement. I have to imagine their workflows are very simplistic and/or completely cloud-based

Just working with files and moving them around is a pain on an iPad, and a Mac or Windows PC is so much better for that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t get people who consider the iPad a full computer replacement. I have to imagine their workflows are very simplistic and/or completely cloud-based

Just working with files and moving them around is a pain on an iPad, and a Mac or Windows PC is so much better for that.

I can only imagine they have a keyboard case or something because typing more than a sentence or two on a non-tactile keyboard is very annoying for me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's the best audiobook player for iPad that supports downloaded books? on android I use Smart Audiobook and it's perfecto

"BookPlayer"

Assuming you have a bunch of MP3s on a computer the easiest way to load them in is through iCloud Drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

~Coxy posted:

"BookPlayer"

Assuming you have a bunch of MP3s on a computer the easiest way to load them in is through iCloud Drive.

I've been using iCloud more now that I have an iPad and need to get media on there. Apps hook right into it and even create iCloud folders so it's wicked easy on my macOS client to just drag/drop.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

~Coxy posted:

"BookPlayer"

I tried that one and the resolution was a third of the screen and zoomed in, it was unusable

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I tried that one and the resolution was a third of the screen and zoomed in, it was unusable

Sorry, I gotta admit that I have never actually tried it on an iPad.
I'm surprised the dude hasn't bothered to at least make a low effort native version, too bad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I host my own podcast for that now, but before I used Overcast. With the premium subscription you can upload most file types to overcast.fm and just download them as a podcast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have about 100 PDFs on my IBooks app and I need to back them up on my computer. What is the easiest way to do this? I have a Mac and PC so either is an option.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I have about 100 PDFs on my IBooks app and I need to back them up on my computer. What is the easiest way to do this? I have a Mac and PC so either is an option.

The Books app is basically like the Music app but for books. It's designed for things to be added to it but not necessarily for extracting stuff out of it. That said, I did find a rather clunky way.

Open up Books on your MacOS client, then the desired PDF. On my computer (hopefully it does this for you), it opened up the PDF in Preview, which then let me export it to wherever I wanted.

edit: You also use one of those sketchy 3rd party apps to just go right in and extract stuff from an app.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 10, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm talking about from the iPad OS Books to computer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm talking about from the iPad OS Books to computer.

You'd have to use a 3rd party app.

I should have clarified: The method I described earlier assumes you have iCloud sync turned on for the Books app on both your iPad and MacOS client. Once you do that you'll see those PDFs in the Books app on your computer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

You'd have to use a 3rd party app.

I should have clarified: The method I described earlier assumes you have iCloud sync turned on for the Books app on both your iPad and MacOS client. Once you do that you'll see those PDFs in the Books app on your computer.

An ok. Definitely won’t work then since it’s way more than the free storage you get with iCloud. Might have to batch email them or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

An ok. Definitely won’t work then since it’s way more than the free storage you get with iCloud. Might have to batch email them or something.

I played with it a little more and you can use the share sheet to move them to the files app into a folder under 'On My iPad' which would at least get the files out of the Books app. After that you could setup an SMB share on a computer and then copy the folder there. The only problem I ran into with this is that you can't select a bunch of PDFs and do this. You gotta do them one at a time.

From what I can find if you want to do them in one shot you'd have to use one of those 3rd party apps.

edit: I apologize for not giving the best info earlier. I was on my MBP at the time and I wrongly thought that the Books app had nearly the same functionality on both platforms. Turns out it doesn't. The macOS Books app definitely limits what you can do with PDF once imported. The iOS/iPad OS version has a bit more flexibility.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 10, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pay the $1 for 50gb of iCloud and don’t deal with the headaches?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Pay the $1 for 50gb of iCloud and don’t deal with the headaches?

Ok, so I get that and sync them then it just syncs to iBooks on the Macbook, but I can’t get them out of iBooks on my Macbook? Is there not a folder somewhere it stores them?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t you just drag them outta there?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hatty posted:

Can’t you just drag them outta there?

Going by what Jose said, I don't think so.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was just able to drag an epub out of there and put it on my desktop not sure if other things work or not because I don't store stuff in the books app

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hatty posted:

I was just able to drag an epub out of there and put it on my desktop not sure if other things work or not because I don't store stuff in the books app

Yeah that's the secondary problem I'm trying to undo as well. Need to backup this collection of files and then move them to a better app for future. Waiting on icloud sync now then I'll see how it goes on the Mac.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

hatty posted:

Oh wow that does work on macOS. I had no idea. I guess that’s the fastest method. Pay the buck to get the iCloud storage and turn on iBook syncing. Let your books app on macOS sync and then drag/drop.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
The folder the Books app syncs to is hidden in the Finder, but you can open it from the Terminal. Launch Terminal, type open ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/iCloud~com~apple~iBooks/Documents/ and it should open the folder with your files and you can copy whatever you want from there.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7292866

At least, that's the path that worked for me on MacOS Monterey.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Accessibility question:

I purchased my older parents an iPad 9th gen 10.2". Their eyesight isn't the greatest these days. Are there any recommended accessibility settings I should turn on for them to make navigation and content viewing easier?

They will mostly be surfing the web, reading gmail, watching youtube, and playing solitaire.

My experience is all Android and this OS is a bit foreign to me so I appreciate any help!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There’s a Zoom option that I think gives them a magnifying glass effect over a portion of the screen. Sounds like that’d be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ramp up the font size in settings -> accessibility -> display & text size. My mom does that with all of her idevices and it seems to help a lot