Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MJBuddy posted:

Learn from the Marlins and replace all backstops with aquariums or horrified anxious animals in cages.

E: but liked themed! Like a horse for the Rangers. Some snakes in Arizona. Sets of twins on the right and left side in Minnesota and we can see if they both flinch when fastballs fire at one of them! In LA, no obstructions. Just an overconfident person who will have to move out of the way.
The Marlins unfortunately got rid of the aquariums a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I thought it was the Rays who had that

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Its Rinaldo posted:

I thought it was the Rays who had that

They still have it: https://www.mlb.com/rays/ballpark/information/touch-tank

I have vague memories of a tank behind home plate that was obviously terrible for its occupants and quickly removed, but I'm not sure if that's a real memory or who it was if so

e: Oh it was the Marlins and it was around longer than I realized

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao oh my god

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hell it's better than what F1 is doing for the Miami GP.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

Was gonna make some dumb rear end post about some guy named Koufax who barely made it another season past his perfect game but then I just stared at Koufax's last four seasons and Christ.

Go to Hell, arthritis. You suck.

Edit - there's a long abandoned baseball podcast called "Fadeaway" that only had 8 episodes. One is a two hour or so story on the Dodgers of the early 60s. Really good stuff about Koufax, Wills, Vin and the early days of Dodger Stadium. Well worth digging up if you're interested. Was honestly a good if brief run of episodes.

It's really interesting to look at BB-ref and select Koufax years. Sum up his first six years, and then compare those numbers to his last six years. It really is a tale of two totally different careers.

The difference was in spring training going into his seventh season, a catcher (not Roseboro, someone else) convinced him to take a little off his fastball. Sandy was a fireballer and his fastball was a killer, but his control was awful. This same talk has been had with many a power pitcher, and a lot of the time they are uncomfortable with the idea of taking a little off, they're afraid they will become hittable.

But this catcher convinced him to try, told him that if he didn't throw quite as hard he'd still be difficult to hit, and the added control would change everything. And so:

First six seasons: 36-40, 4.10 ERA, 3.94 FIP, 1.428 WHIP, 7.6 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 5.3 BB/9

Last six seasons: 129-47, 2.19 ERA, 2.16 FIP, .970 WHIP, 6.5 H/9, 0.6 HR/9, 2.3 BB/9

as

As Tony said, the last four years are even more insane.

Last 4 seasons: 97-27, 1.86 ERA, 1.97 FIP, .909 WHIP, 6.2 H/9, 0.6 HR/9, 2.0 BB/9

:captainpop:

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Aw man I missed the Julio dinger :sigh: that'll teach me to help out family when I could be watching baseball

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees cleaned up against the garbage in their schedule.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AtlanticLg/status/1520834317966000132?t=KFdBNkn3mYYpr-yqiYhn8Q&s=19

A cool thing happened today!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that is bad rear end

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Maybe you can take a game off the Mets but you can’t take a series.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That's what an insufferable shitposter would say.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I just want it to stop.

All of it. Just make the Reds stop—I can't take this much longer :smithicide:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1520956268218834945

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Boston pitcher would have every right to lose his poo poo on the first baseman for dropping that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chapman and Osuna have unfortunately proven that front offices don’t even think twice about taking PR hits for abusive pieces of poo poo so long as they’re still effective on the field. If Bauer stays healthy during the suspension some team will absolutely sign him to some kind of contract when he returns and just put out the usual meaningless lip service press statement to try and convince people they give a poo poo.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing this motherfucker’s career go down in flames permanently because of this, but the realist in me knows he’ll be back at some point.

Some team is going to sign him for 3/60 and sports media will remark on how it's a great deal for a pitcher like him and maybe vaguely refer to a "controversy"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bauer has gotten far more attention than any of the other players mentioned. No team is going to touch him. The team and league would lose half their sponsors over it.

I don't think MLB is being altruistic or anything, I just think this situation is much different (maybe because so many people hated him in the first place).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niwrad posted:

Bauer has gotten far more attention than any of the other players mentioned. No team is going to touch him. The team and league would lose half their sponsors over it.

I don't think MLB is being altruistic or anything, I just think this situation is much different (maybe because so many people hated him in the first place).

I don't think there is a player a sports team could sign short of like OJ Simpson who would make them lose half their sponsors. No one cares that much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drat I was hoping it was some big thing that rolled vertically with an audible clunk.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Niwrad posted:

It's that and that Bauer cannot shut up and just keep his head down.

His suspension is as much about that as it is about the heinous domestic violence, sadly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I want to be clear that Chapman and German are pieces of poo poo and I've wanted them cut from the Yankees for years but also what Bauer did was an order of magnitude worse than what they did too.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1521142517701431297

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Welp

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bring Robbie Home

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
He was washed when we signed him. Good riddance.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
woah, the mets aren't messing around

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Cano still has a statistical case for the Hall but obviously won't even make it onto a second ballot. What a sad end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Thanks for picking up his contract from the Mariners!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Bring Robbie Home

Gross, no

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Cano still has a statistical case for the Hall but obviously won't even make it onto a second ballot. What a sad end.

Huh, you weren't kidding. He ends (likely) his career with a very nice bWAR of 69.1

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Thanks for picking up his contract from the Mariners!

I think they wanted Diaz more then anything.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
good riddance, he was taking ABs away from younger guys who really could have used them like McNeil, Davis and Smith

the Mets are legitimately so fun and exciting right now, can’t wait to see how it all falls apart

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mcmagic posted:

Bring Robbie Home
I'm a big fan of homecomings; Tino and Soriano were a blast. David Robertson. Even Nick Johnson's .167/.388.309 in 2010 was fun. But Cano is just a little too high on the "washed" scale and also the "dickhead" scale, so I hope he enjoys he retirement.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cano DFA'd. Nice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
probably the smartest part of that cano trade was the mets ridding themselves of kelenic

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a little early to call the 22 year old star prospect a bust.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Huh, you weren't kidding. He ends (likely) his career with a very nice bWAR of 69.1
yeah if he'd just retired after 2019 instead of taking steroids he'd have a good shot at the Hall

edit: lol I forgot about 2018, he was at 64.6 bWAR before that season, still probably makes it

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 2, 2022

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kelenic is frustrating because you can see the power the dude has, and his dingers have insane exit velocity, but he's still not putting it together. He could probably help himself by going 90% and making better contact than swinging away hard every time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was surprised the other day to see how young Jo Adell still was

He still hasn’t figured out MLB pitching and I wonder if he ever does, but he certainly has time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Things going well in Cincy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reds/comments/uga9ds/during_the_friday_may_6th_game_against_the/