Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Avs in 4
Wild in 7
Flames in 6
Kings in 6

Panthers in 5
Lightning in 6
Hurricanes in 6
Rangers in 7

Goals scored: 321
Cup final: Avs in 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

I'll do the red Xs again but if you can include in your posts formatting In the same order like my prediction here it would be helpful. And add a goals scored in the first round for 5 points a hail mary prediction worth 25 points for cup winning team in X games.

Avs in 5
Blues in 6
Flames in 4
Oilers in 5

Panthers in 5
Lightning in 6
Hurricanes in 4
Rangers in 7

Goals scored: 294
Cup final: Oilers in 5

I'll do the RNG, but if anybody has an animal or toddler intelligent enough to point at pictures, that would be an acceptable submission as well. DJExile starts at -2 because his team abbreviations gave me an aneurysm.

Avs in 5
Blues in 6
Flames in 5
Oilers in 7

Panthers in 4
Leafs in 7
Bruins in 5
Rangers in 6

Goals scored: 324
Cup final: Leafs in 7 (yeah i'm being an eternal optimist)

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Boston vs Carolina:
Carolina in 6

NY Rangers vs Pittsburgh:
Pittsburgh in 6

Washington vs Florida:
Florida in 5

Tampa Bay vs Toronto:
Tampa Bay in 7

Nashville vs Colorado:
Colorado in 5

St. Louis vs Minnesota
Minnesota in 7

Dallas vs Calgary:
Calgary in 5

Los Angeles vs Edmonton:
Edmonton in 6

Goals Scored: 369
Stanley Cup: Colorado in 6

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dawn of the final day: 24 hours remain.

I'll do a check for mistakes once everyone is in, but if you see one let me know and i'll correct it.

Here's where we stand now. If someone picked the Preds, stars, capitals, and Leafs in 4, they could build an insurmountable lead if the teams they're facing all encountered various catastrophes.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Avs in 5
Kings in 7
Wild in 7
Flames in 5

Canes in 5
Pens in 7
Bolts in 6
Panthers in 5

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Avs in 4
Wild in 7
Flames in 4
Kings in 7

Panthers in 6
Lightning in 5
Bruins in 7
Rangers in 5

Edit: Goals-290
Final- Avs in 6

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 2, 2022

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Surprised at the skew of Wild/Blues. The Blues had 43 regulation wins while the Wild had 37. That series is going to be closer than people think.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'd be very curious to see what Mr. RNG has to say about all this.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Avs in 4
Blues in 7
Flames in 5
Oilers in 6

The Avs vs. David Rittich? Lmao. Wild/Blues is just too close to call, I like Minnesota’s goaltending less so that’s what’s tipping it for me. The Stars and Kings are both terrible.

Panthers in 5
Leafs in 5
Penguins in 6
Hurricanes in 7

I don’t know what exactly Washington is even supposed to do against the Panthers. Leafs in 5 because someone’s got to pick it, I think the teams are closer than people think and hey why can’t the Leafs be on the winning side of random playoff nonsense (I know, the curse). Choosing the Pens because I think Malkin can probably pull himself together for one more playoffs, and the Canes because I want Boston to lose even though I don’t have a lot of faith in Carolina.

Goals scored in the first round: 226
Cup Final: Leafs in 6 (:lmao:)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you all want I can ask my 5 year old nephew for his picks tomorrow. He's a big Auston Matthews fan so he'll pick the Leafs to win the Cup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Hurricanes over Bruins in 6
Rangers over Penguins in 6
Panthers over Capitals in 5
Lightning over Leafs in 7

Avalanche over Predators in 4
Wild over Blues in 7
Flames over Stars in 4
Oilers over Kings in 6

Goals in first round: 234
Finals: Rangers in 7

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Avs in 6
Wild in 7
Flames in 5
Oilers in 7

Panthers in 5
Lightning in 6
Bruins in 6
Rangers in 7

Goals scored: 283
Cup final: Lightning in 6

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'd be very curious to see what Mr. RNG has to say about all this.

Yes, please add Mr. RNG so we can all get our asses kicked by loving Excel again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The die is a madman.

I had to usurp some "flames in 6 space" to preserve the framing of the spreadsheet.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you all want I can ask my 5 year old nephew for his picks tomorrow. He's a big Auston Matthews fan so he'll pick the Leafs to win the Cup.

That would be cool, see who can predict hockey worse than a literal 5 year old.

Hopefully sportsnet does another insiders predictions so we can see who can predict better than a literal Elliotte Friedman

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 2, 2022

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Avs in 4
Wild in 6
Flames in 4
Oilers in 7

Panthers in 6
Leafs in 7
Boston in 5
Rangers in 6

Goals scored: 287

Cup final: Avs in 6

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

CGY in 4
EDM in 7
COL in 5
MIN in 6

FLA in 4
TOR in 6
CAR in 7
NYR in 6

Goals: 271
Final: MIN in 6 over TOR

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

COL in 5
MIN in 7
CGY in 6
LA in 5

FLA in 6
TB in 6
CAR in 6
PIT in 7

Goals in 1st round: 244

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Avs in 5
Wild in 7
Stars in 6
Oilers in 5

Panthers in 5
Lightning in 6
Hurricanes in 4
Rangers in 5

Goals scored: 304
Cup final: Panthers in 7

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m missing on the Avs-Preds section.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
My Selections for round 1

CAL over DAL in 7
This is the closest thing to an upset I'm predicting in the west.. Stars tend to punch above their weight in the playoffs, but can't get it done against a much better opponent. The Stars have lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champion in each of their previous two playoff appearances, could this be a 3rd in a row?

COL over NSH in 5
Probably the biggest mismatch in round one in terms of talent disparity, I'll give Nashville credit for 1 win at home since that arena of theirs is usually rocking in the playoffs.

EDM over LAK in 4
I actually don't think this series will end up particularly close. Edmonton is a far superior roster, the LA Kings are arguably the weakest team to make the playoffs. I just don't see them preventing that top Edmonton line from going off.

MIN over STL in 5
Another series which I think is going to be shorter than people think.. Minnesota does everything St. Louis does but better.. St. Louis has been riding insane goaltending AND shooting percentage to their high point total, I think that stops now.

FLA over WSH in 7
I came very close to predicting the Washington victory here. I don't like the Panthers goaltending or blueline, and they have a history of falling flat on their face in the playoffs. I think it's very likely that this could be the big upset of the first round but I'll give the Panthers credit for one series win.

TOR over TB in 7
Kind of similar view of this series as the FLA/WSH series.. I think on paper Toronto should win, so I'll give it to them.

PIT over NYR in 6
Rangers are coming along and might be a cup contender some day but I think much like the Blues you are looking at a team that has ridden the percentages to a first round matchup with a team that is fundamentally much stronger. Unlike the Blues the Rangers atleast have home ice going for them. I'll give them credit for that extra victory but I can't see this one going past 6.

BOS over CAR in 5
Carolina kind of had a blessed season this year where everything broke their way, in the playoffs I'll take the Bruins who are even more of an analytics monster than the Canes, plus they have an actual track record of winning in the post season. Frederik Andersen reverts back to being human and the Bruins bounce them out quick.

***the west really is a joke.. that could honestly be four series that end in 4 or 5 games. The East is where all the intrigue is at so far as I can tell, at least in round 1.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 2, 2022

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Avs in 5
Blues in 7
Flames in 5
Oilers in 5

Panthers in 7
Lightning in 6
Boston in 6
Carolina in 6

Goals scored: 295
Cup final: Colorado in 6

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

CAL over DAL in 6

COL over NSH in 5

LAK over EDM in 7

MIN over STL in 5

FLA over WSH in 5

TB over TOR in 6

NYR over PIT in 5

BOS over CAR in 6

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'll add my goals in the first round: 303

And Cup Finals: Flames in 7

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

How are the Rangers "not good" in any way?

They are a bad 5x5 offensive team who's warts are covered up by goalering. They can absolutely win a bunch because of their goaler but let's not pretend they're a contender.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the rangers are in by way of fantastic goaltending and a lethal power play. They've been miserable at evens.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They are a bad 5x5 offensive team who's warts are covered up by goalering. They can absolutely win a bunch because of their goaler but let's not pretend they're a contender.

After their deadline additions, the Rangers 180'd and were a terrific 5on5 team til the end of the season, so I think they're better than they were most of the season at even strength.

The Rangers have an elite powerplay and an elite goaltender, several game-breaking forwards, and are really good at scoring chances generated off the rush. If they play a team that gives them power play regularly, they will be very difficult to beat.

They are not in the same boat as teams like Colorado, Calgary, Florida, Tampa Bay, etc but they are hardly a "not good" team.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Stars over Flames in 7
Oilers over Kings in 6
Avs over preds in 6
Wild over Blues in 5

Caps over Panthers in 6
Leafs over Lightning in 7
canes over bruins in 6
penguins over rangers in 6

Goals scored: 312
Cup final: Canes in 7

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Avs in 6
Wild in 7
Flames in 5
Oilers in 6

Panthers in 5
Leafs in 7
Hurricanes in 5
Rangers in 7

Goals scored: 302
Cup final: Flames in 6

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oh boy am I excited for to Dallas to gently caress up all these pedictions. Only like 3 of you understand how lovely the flames are in the playoffs. Gonna be just embarrassing for everyone. Should just concede the series now and save us all the groans.

DALLAS STARS over Cal in 6
Johnny so-called "hockey" aint gonna do poo poo and sutter gonna get outcoached by Rick "loving" Bowness.

COL over NSH in 4
Nashville sucks so bad. Maybe they steal a game, but hoo boy do they look outmatched.

EDM over LAK in 7
I could really go for the oilers loving this up but it's the kings. C'mon man. I guess they could get 0 penalties called again but that got enough media play that they'll probably call 1-3 penalties against McD. Seriously, how are the king on the inside looking out? The pacifc is garbage.

STL over MIN in 6
Minnesota is a paper tiger and will fall flat, as usual. Stl is also trash but they can poo poo themselves in the second round just fine. If a celestial body decides to make a house call during one of their games I don't think anyone would notice or care.

FLA over WSH in 5
Are the Fancy Cats for real? Maybe! Can the Caps Crazy Keepers make enough saves? No.

TB over TOR in 7
Leafs lose in 7, sun rises, water wet.

NYR over PIT in 6
I think they still need time, but Shesty is the best keep on the planet right now and all the rags need to do is put up a goal or two every night.

CAR over BOS in 6
lol, the fun jerks turned into the real jerks with their racist dumpster diving but they seem P good. Boston is always a wildcard in the playoffs but they're not playing the leafs so they're gonna have to work for their wins.

Stars gonna beat florida or whoever in like 6 games for the final and it's gonna own.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A bit of wishful thinking and the odd wild swing or two.

COL 5
MIN 5
DAL 6
LAK 6
FLA 5
TOR 6
CAR 5
PIT 6

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oilers in 6, they're gonna win but their goalies are absolutely gonna be liabilities forever and ever.
Avs in 6, based off of the last 2 weeks the Avs can get shutdown concerningly easily BUT if a fully healthy team can turn the tides then they're a buzzsaw
Flames in 4, I have no faith in Dallas this year
Minnesota in 6, I flipped a coin

Bolts in 7, I feel like this is just a tradition now
Panthers in 4, another buzz saw and honestly gently caress the Caps
Penguins in 7, this was a tough call and I think it's going to be a tougher series because the Pens will wake up when they're playing at home
Canes in 6, gotta harvest more misery from Marchand

Cup winner: Avs in 7 assuming they are up against either of the Florida teams.
Goals scored: 284

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Cocaine Bear posted:

Oh boy am I excited for to Dallas to gently caress up all these pedictions. Only like 3 of you understand how lovely the flames are in the playoffs. Gonna be just embarrassing for everyone. Should just concede the series now and save us all the groans.

DALLAS STARS over Cal in 6
Johnny so-called "hockey" aint gonna do poo poo and sutter gonna get outcoached by Rick "loving" Bowness.

COL over NSH in 4
Nashville sucks so bad. Maybe they steal a game, but hoo boy do they look outmatched.

EDM over LAK in 7
I could really go for the oilers loving this up but it's the kings. C'mon man. I guess they could get 0 penalties called again but that got enough media play that they'll probably call 1-3 penalties against McD. Seriously, how are the king on the inside looking out? The pacifc is garbage.

STL over MIN in 6
Minnesota is a paper tiger and will fall flat, as usual. Stl is also trash but they can poo poo themselves in the second round just fine. If a celestial body decides to make a house call during one of their games I don't think anyone would notice or care.

FLA over WSH in 5
Are the Fancy Cats for real? Maybe! Can the Caps Crazy Keepers make enough saves? No.

TB over TOR in 7
Leafs lose in 7, sun rises, water wet.

NYR over PIT in 6
I think they still need time, but Shesty is the best keep on the planet right now and all the rags need to do is put up a goal or two every night.

CAR over BOS in 6
lol, the fun jerks turned into the real jerks with their racist dumpster diving but they seem P good. Boston is always a wildcard in the playoffs but they're not playing the leafs so they're gonna have to work for their wins.

Stars gonna beat florida or whoever in like 6 games for the final and it's gonna own.

i'd be happy/ok with all of this except finals needs a game 7

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

heehee posted:

i'd be happy/ok with all of this except finals needs a game 7

I said like 6 games. Could be 5 or 7!
GO STARS!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Man, I knew the playoffs were coming, but the appearance of The Red X Spreadsheet really cements it.

It's like when they start saying The Cup Is In The Building and I'm imagining Powershift handling this with white gloves.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

After their deadline additions, the Rangers 180'd and were a terrific 5on5 team til the end of the season, so I think they're better than they were most of the season at even strength.

The Rangers have an elite powerplay and an elite goaltender, several game-breaking forwards, and are really good at scoring chances generated off the rush. If they play a team that gives them power play regularly, they will be very difficult to beat.

They are not in the same boat as teams like Colorado, Calgary, Florida, Tampa Bay, etc but they are hardly a "not good" team.

They're only a good 5x5 team because of their 5x5 defence not because they can score. Even after the trade deadline they were still below average in gf/60 and awful at xGF/60 at evens.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They're only a good 5x5 team because of their 5x5 defence not because they can score. Even after the trade deadline they were still below average in gf/60 and awful at xGF/60 at evens.

This is fair but I still disagree.

If the 5v5 defense is good and they have the best goaltender on the planet, that means they don't have to score a ton of goals in order to win games, especially if they get ample power-play time. The Rangers have by my count four offensive game-breakers and each is a different kind of player.

They're not an elite team. I am arguing against what you have said, which is that a 52-win team with the best goalie in the league is "not good."

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As a corgi owner I feel betrayed

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1521220565775831057?s=20&t=XllFIYFIXzPPx9I4UiaJdQ

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Update: gonna talk to my nephew tonight or tomorrow morning, he won't know any of the results so hopefully it will be OK to throw his picks in so we can all laugh at ourselves when he finishes 3rd in the contest

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Same, but vindicated. The corgis know how weak the Flames are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Canes in 6
Rags in 7
Pants in 5
Leafs in 6

Avs in 6
Wild in 6
Flames in 5
LA in 6