Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if you want to get better and enjoy your playing more, i would still suggest spending that 10-20 minutes on warmup, scales, whatever rote mechanical exercise

this will make it way way easier to play what you want to. over time it will really make a night and day difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spose then the next step is learning what those are :monocle:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

brain empty scrample egg. can’t do a music

wish i could focus on it but work takes all your brain cells it sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
feeling that

somehow weed unlocks some special creativity that i’ve tried and tired to find without weed but it only exists when I have a smoke and it’s glorious and clearly inside me so why can’t I without it? :qq:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

brain fucky

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

too much to get done, so nothing gets done

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
write a meta song about how you can’t write a song

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

technically every song I make is about not being able to compose :haw:

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

echinopsis posted:

write a meta song about how you can’t write a song

I tried that once. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/running-out-of-ideas

The problem is, you can only really do it once.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats the lowest note you can tolerate

for me I think it's b

if you keep playing down the lowest note I can tolerate is the b. once you take a step down to the a.... I just can't do it

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

whats the lowest note you can tolerate

for me I think it's b

if you keep playing down the lowest note I can tolerate is the b. once you take a step down to the a.... I just can't do it

what about the Bb between them

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

also while we're doing gear posts:

made in a tiny family workshop in the mountains of northern Italy; I got to try one out at a conference in 2018 and absolutely fell in love (it has this huge fat sound that is really distinct from most modern saxes), but couldn't justify dropping the cash on it at the time

still couldn't exactly justify it when I picked this up in 2020, but the world is ending, so gently caress it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

alright its finally time for some careless whisper

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

sorry, I try to not play alto if I don't have to

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i didnt know that there was a difference, actually. that was the only sax-prominent song i knew, so officially out of ideas now :)

actually bohren & der club of gore has sax a lot iirc

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Penguissimo posted:

sorry, I try to not play alto if I don't have to

a goon of good taste and manners.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

a goon of good taste and manners.

I don't know if I would go that far

here's a little jam we did last night with me on soprano:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYRsX_yvfvZiqJ2to4cxENkDieYJA?e=dCAE17

it was a bit shaky in places because we were playing this tune for the first time as a group (and I think the bass player was playing it for the first time period), but there were some cool moments

also it just kind of stops because we jumped in without first talking about how to end it

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 3, 2022

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

echinopsis posted:

and tbh I should just put all musical energy into getting better at keys, it's what's giving me the most joy, if I wasn't so hopeless I'd do lessons or something

man, you really ought to get yourself some lessons. it's really the best way to develop competency with any instrument. so many people who "teach themselves" to play end up with seriously bad technique that hinders their ability to improve and prevents them from getting competent enough to play real music. there's gotta be some music store or someplace like that in your area that offers private lessons, and the $20 or $30 per session it'll cost you is well worth it. i took private lessons on piano for nearly my entire childhood, and because of that i've been able to do some real serious gig work and make awesome music with other folks over the years.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ever spend an entire day mulling over a phrase in your head and get so sick of it that you just want your mind to shut up by the time you get home from work

yeah

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also I’ve realized that I have the musical equivalent of analysis paralysis and I wonder if that’s a tism thing or sth cause it’s bizarre

four on the floor -> basic bassline -> oh no oh god uhhh what do I do

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Pollyanna posted:

also I’ve realized that I have the musical equivalent of analysis paralysis and I wonder if that’s a tism thing or sth cause it’s bizarre

four on the floor -> basic bassline -> oh no oh god uhhh what do I do

sometimes that's all it takes, man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

relative_q posted:

man, you really ought to get yourself some lessons.

yeah, you’re totally correct

especially if I consider what I want to do with it

thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i sometimes wonder if there would be value in a specific keys course where everything was alllllways in C. like producer-centric. We can and do transpose keys all the loving time so maybe its not super worth it for beep boop musicians to learn 24 keys in total? idk idk.

I realize that this is 'dumbing down of the art' and if you actually wanna raise that argument, boy howdy do i have some news for you about like 90% of pop and rock music from 1940-2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wrote a midi plugin that basically does that. whatever scale you pick now goes on the white keys, and black keys are chords

it makes it easier to not know how to play keys

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
learning every scale in every key allows you to modulate more adventurously

absolutely worth it imo

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I like finding dumb scales, yester I had an accordion loaded up in Halion and thought "I wonder what that French sounding scale is" so a quick Google later I can't remember the name of it but in C the notes are

C D Eb Gb G A Bb

And its so dang French sounding

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
do whatever you find fun. plenty of artists just transpose stuff so they only have to worry about the white keys. learning a few different scales can be real nice though. most techno is phrygian because it sounds atonal and one of my favorite artists does everything in mixolydian for reasons I don't entirely understand but it sounds cool

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
After a decade and a half of trying to figure out scales/modes on guitar, the day I learned them as per their relationship to white keys on a piano about 2 years ago was probably my biggest musical eureka moment since I learnt palm muting.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i made something inbetween working on two other songs that are already way too long and complex and still need endings

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/time-pressure

drums are hard. also naming things sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anyone got any comments on this? maybe good?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it wont be piano action or w/e but theyre useful for beeps and boops. ive got an mpk mini and like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m somewhat looking for an all-in-one and it just seems like a better value option than spending the same thing on something new but probably less capable

don’t need piano action, just a way to make ableton play notes and beats. could probably be the total extent of my controller

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they have real fun arpeggiators. just pull up a soft synth with a short boop and let the controller arpeggiate according to whatever keys you hit. its got a latch mode too so you can just hit C F G and it cycles through em

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love a good arpeggiator. the one on my hydrasynth was good, haven’t found one inside a soft synth that worked as well, but I remember the one on the novation launchkey was good

this looks similar to the launchkey. if I can assign the pots to things inside ableton that’ll make for some decent controllability

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

eastwest just released a new synth thing that I'm looking forward to messing with not that I don't have enough of them

in the mean time, i made a thing

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/dont-look-back

I don't even know what the classify it as. has creepy strings, lots of guitar and drums, and whatnot

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

echinopsis posted:

anyone got any comments on this? maybe good?

get it, imo. even if you end up with a better keyboard eventually that's a lot of midi control.. you can map so many different things

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

echinopsis posted:

. if I can assign the pots to things inside ableton that’ll make for some decent controllability

you can, and the transports, faders, pads

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/dont-look-back

I don't even know what the classify it as. has creepy strings, lots of guitar and drums, and whatnot

it’s a little more upbeat than my mental model, but “uneasy listening music” has been a good genre answer for me and may also be for you. It feels like lost Battletoads fight music.

It reminds me a bit also of Skeletonbreath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRfiFGoSUuI

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
oh look another thing to spend money on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAQXqoKRfzs

(also Benn Jordan is a top dude and his channel is awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really need to get a cheap desk to put my gear on, my poor back :negative: