Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Potsticker posted:

Yup! Also annoying if you hover over a video for even a few seconds. And it starts at the beginning of the video instead of the old preview style where you could reasonably get an idea of what was in the video rather than just starting to see whatever inane intro the video has. I'm willing to bet it still counts as a view for the channel even if you remove it from your history AND counts towards discoverability for other people to be recommended it based on them sharing interests.

The sidebar in specific I only ever touch if I'm watching like an LP series of some sort because that seems to have even worse recommendations on average than Home.

Settings - Playback and performance - Inline playback on/off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xakura posted:

Cheers!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Xakura posted:

It will turn itself back on any time you log in to your YT account. At least it does, weekly, for me.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/embracer-group-to-acquire-crystal-dynamics-eidos-montreal-and-square-enix-montreal-from-square-enix

Embracer Group bought Square Enix's western development studios & IP.

Press release says that the funds gained will help them with blockchain, AI, and cloud investments. :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like that Simpsons bit about clown college, but with blockchain.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Asteroid Alert posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/embracer-group-to-acquire-crystal-dynamics-eidos-montreal-and-square-enix-montreal-from-square-enix

Press release says that the funds gained will help them with blockchain, AI, and cloud investments. :psyduck:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Asteroid Alert posted:

I mean that bit is just jingling keys in front of investors, for this thread it's more imprtant to know that Embracer is responsible for THQ Nordic and Gearbox

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I misread that as "Squeenix selling the IPs to a crypto/NFT company" since I guess THQ Nordic changed their name again while I wasn't looking

https://twitter.com/EmbracerInvest/status/1460906337701974017

so really just a continuation of squeenix shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to anything not named final fantasy 14

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone in the Steam thread posted that Embracer is friendly with 8chan, wtf that is that about?

Apparently it's from a relatively recent AMA on that website, which holy gently caress how would that pass legal/marketing approval?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

pentyne posted:

Someone in the Steam thread posted that Embracer is friendly with 8chan, wtf that is that about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THQ_Nordic#Controversy

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Their PR guy is either a moron or a chud and decided 8chan was an appropriate forum for an AMA. At some point the C-levels were clued into this and apologized for it, probably not understanding what had happened. I wish I was a fly on the wall for the discussion where some poor aide had to explain 8chan to the ceo and explain why they were fielding questions about “lolis”.

E: uhh so he’s still employed there

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Their PR guy is either a moron or a chud and decided 8chan was an appropriate forum for an AMA. At some point the C-levels were clued into this and apologized for it, probably not understanding what had happened. I wish I was a fly on the wall for the discussion where some poor aide had to explain 8chan to the ceo and explain why they were fielding questions about “lolis”.

E: uhh so he’s still employed there

I imagine someone who is a Chud Online having to explain something like 8chan and lolis to a group of people that Are Not Online might lie a lot or at least downplay the severity of their poo poo to keep their job

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

This happened in 2019? I could have sworn it was from earlier than that, like 2016 or so. It's a weird feeling to go from "oh that happened a long time ago" to "oh poo poo that happened three years ago."

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
These particular past three years constitute a long time ago.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
THQ Nordic is a subsidiary of Embracer (previously THQ Nordic was the name for both the parent company that owns a ton of other publishers, which is now Embracer, and also one of those publishers, which is still called THQ Nordic) and the 8chan stuff seems to be limited to just a few high-ups in that division, not anything further out in Embracer, but it still sucks obviously

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Corbeau posted:

These particular past three years constitute a long time ago.
there are only two eras of human history: pre-escalator and post-escalator

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can't comprehend anyone getting 1100 game devs and their associated studios in montreal for 300 million. Forget the IP, any publisher would absolutely lose their minds at that opportunity. That's like, a tenth the cost of recruiting those devs, assuming you can even find that many.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ination-report/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lol the vote's not even binding

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't comprehend anyone getting 1100 game devs and their associated studios in montreal for 300 million. Forget the IP, any publisher would absolutely lose their minds at that opportunity. That's like, a tenth the cost of recruiting those devs, assuming you can even find that many.

Yeah it's an insane deal. The tomb raider reboots sold 38 million copies.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it's an insane deal. The tomb raider reboots sold 38 million copies.

Yes, a complete failure. Tragic, for sure - Square

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Magmarashi posted:

Has anyone figured out what kind of numbers Square expects their games to put up? They've refused to make a ton of sequels even for wildly popular, successful games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They set insane expectations on their western division for a while to try and counteract their investors in Japan panicking over the Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 trainwreck but that's the only time I can remember them commentating on sales numbers outside of celebrating milestones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mokinokaro posted:

They set insane expectations on their western division for a while to try and counteract their investors in Japan panicking over the Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 trainwreck but that's the only time I can remember them commentating on sales numbers outside of celebrating milestones.

Famously they said TR2013 and Sleeping Dogs underperformed while specifically not counting digital sales at all (where both games did quite well on Steam)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Famously they said TR2013 and Sleeping Dogs underperformed while specifically not counting digital sales at all (where both games did quite well on Steam)

There was a powerpoint slide or something leaked from that year's presentation that said all three major games, Sleeping Dogs, TR2013, and Hitman I think, were failures for not selling more then 5 million copies each. Which was an insane sales projection at the time. TR and Hitman had both sold a franchise record and Sleeping Dogs was a new IP that sold several million.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

looking forward to a bunch of good IPs, that were mothballed for no reason, finally getting a chance to shine in a post Sqeenix buyout

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sleeping Dogs deserves a sequel ASAP

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pentyne posted:

There was a powerpoint slide or something leaked from that year's presentation that said all three major games, Sleeping Dogs, TR2013, and Hitman I think, were failures for not selling more then 5 million copies each. Which was an insane sales projection at the time. TR and Hitman had both sold a franchise record and Sleeping Dogs was a new IP that sold several million.

Western devs make CoD though, why you no give CoD?

CoD pls

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Magmarashi posted:

The two deus ex games sold 12 million. Article with some more background.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the recent marvel games did significantly underperform though, avengers did disastrously and gotg did decently but wasn't the insane hit square enix probably demanded it be, especially when you take into consideration how much they would have paid for the rights

but that all comes down to square mismanagement by forcing their western studios to make games in genres they weren't at all familiar with on top of forcing avengers to have a gaas model that made no real sense

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wonder how much Guardians was hurt by Avengers being bad and the initial trailer not being great, since the game itself ended up pretty good.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

bobjr posted:

I do wonder how much Guardians was hurt by Avengers being bad and the initial trailer not being great, since the game itself ended up pretty good.

Going with almost entirely because even my perpetual online self mistook it for more Avengers at first.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

They burned a lot of good will over Avengers, because in addition to it being kind of a poo poo game, they also nerfed XP gain pretty heavily right before they started selling XP boosters, didn't they?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I couldn't seperate the two either, it was damned by association. Not like I had any real reason to trust SquareEnix by that point regardless, or even now for that matter.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If the Avengers game didn't exist, I'm sure that GotG would have been a massive hit. It's real good, but Avengers poisoned the well too hard for a lot of people to give it a chance.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Tombot posted:

I couldn't seperate the two either, it was damned by association. Not like I had any real reason to trust SquareEnix by that point regardless, or even now for that matter.

Unfortunately a lot of people thought GotG was an expansion DLC for Avengers.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Moola posted:

well good news im pretty sure its one of the IPs Square sold so the chances are higher :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was in the test for Triad Wars. Oof.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MechaCrash posted:

They burned a lot of good will over Avengers, because in addition to it being kind of a poo poo game, they also nerfed XP gain pretty heavily right before they started selling XP boosters, didn't they?

They made a series of Destiny-style scummy decisions without having a successful game like Destiny to back them up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Guardians of the Galaxy had a really bad initial showing, too. The E3 reveal trailer featured some of the worst bits of writing and humour from the game itself. They also downplayed the team command system in the bits of gameplay they showed, and they picked pretty boring segments of the game on top of that. I was shocked to hear Guardians of the Galaxy was good when the reviews started coming out, because the marketing made the game look terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Moola posted:

Let Sleeping Dogs lie. :dadjoke:

Or probably not, never played it.