Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
“Hey Jean Luc remember a couple April fools days ago when those guys tried to convince you you were a robot? What a ridiculous thing they expected you to believe. Well anyways…(Season 2 resumes as normal)”

There I fixed the show, hire me Paramount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
You forgot to have this said by an Australian accented alien whil pe he cries about some memory involving his secret brother.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Human Crouton posted:

I have a very good, very easy way to fix The Borg.

The Borg and the queen are doing whatever dumb, lazy poo poo the writers usually have them do. Then, just as the Borg are being maximally stupid a Borg cube arrives and completely obliterates the queen's cube.

Turns out that this is the real Borg we met in Q, Who, and that encounter in Q Who is the only time until now that we've encountered the real Borg. The queen, maturation chambers, Locutus, Hugh, unimatrix zero, and whatever other dumb poo poo I've forgotten about were all part of some pathetic offshoot. Like some kind of crusader kingdom. The Real Borg now only find Fake Borg worth assimilating because of all of the non-Borg technologies the Fake Borg have assimilated. Fake Borg are destroyed and Real Borg have no need for maturation chambers or whatever other dumb poo poo Fake Borg came up with.

It's the lazy, yet competent and complete fix that The Borg deserve.

I can make this even better. The Real Borg turn up, but get this: they have a Borg KING!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I did have a headcanon excuse for the queen in first contact.

It's unclear how many Borg made it onto the enterprise initially, so they have little processing power to work with between the drones. They're also cut off from the rest of the collective, so these drones are isolated in ways that Borg aren't used to. So, they create a "leader" type who will focus on prioritizing tasks and tactics, since their usual overwhelming force and knowledge of billions of assimilated beings isn't available right now. Let the drones do drone things, let the queen make up for the greater collective consciousness of the Borg.

But then the queen showed up in voyager. And was implied to be the same character (same actress for some episodes, look-alike for others). So did the Borg assimilate a bunch of twins to be the queen, or do they manufacture a new identicle Queen whenever one explodes?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Torquemada posted:

I can make this even better. The Real Borg turn up, but get this: they have a Borg KING!

I'm sold.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Setting an entire season in 21st century earth was such a loving bad idea.

Hey, hey, HEY Buddy. There are CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS in AMERICA which need COMMENTARY, alright champ? And you, and our viewers who aren't in America need to be told about them in this Scifi Universe set in the future.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Torquemada posted:

Wait no that's not right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's not right, but it's not worse

Borger King

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well yeah, I mean who among us would not love to follow the grand space adventures of the borger king

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

This show is dumb

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

dr.acula posted:

This show is dumb

turn on your television

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

never again

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

whatever

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I did have a headcanon excuse for the queen in first contact.

It's unclear how many Borg made it onto the enterprise initially, so they have little processing power to work with between the drones. They're also cut off from the rest of the collective, so these drones are isolated in ways that Borg aren't used to. So, they create a "leader" type who will focus on prioritizing tasks and tactics, since their usual overwhelming force and knowledge of billions of assimilated beings isn't available right now. Let the drones do drone things, let the queen make up for the greater collective consciousness of the Borg.

But then the queen showed up in voyager. And was implied to be the same character (same actress for some episodes, look-alike for others). So did the Borg assimilate a bunch of twins to be the queen, or do they manufacture a new identicle Queen whenever one explodes?

I think there’s gotta be different hives or something. There isn’t one queen bee for all bees in the world.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think there’s gotta be different hives or something. There isn’t one queen bee for all bees in the world.

Oh there's definitely multiple iterations even though they share at least some kind of memory through the rest. I'm not sure how fleshed out the details and mechanics of all that are, since Voyager was the show that seemed to lean most into that, and that's the show I've seen the least of.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah but if you look at one beehive, drive down the street and look at another beehive, the queens aren't literally identical.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Critic ratings for this show are 90% positive on Rotten Ts? Why?

I’d guess the reviews are mostly: “Show say Trump bad, so show is Good”.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Carwash oval office posted:

Critic ratings for this show are 90% positive on Rotten Ts? Why?

for tv shows the rating is usually based on a the first episode or the first couple at most.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RBuVpwsFQ

Just watched Red Letter Media's review of the last few episodes...this show has broken them.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

All "top critic" reviews are from March 3 - did they get to watch the whole season in advance? The rest are a bunch of jabronis.

also lol:

quote:

Picard gets some backup from franchise fan favorites in a sophomore season that charts a course towards recapturing more of the classical Star Trek spirit and makes it so.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RBuVpwsFQ

Just watched Red Letter Media's review of the last few episodes...this show has broken them.

I watched that a few days ago, Mike’s breakdown/realization that he doesn’t like Star Trek at all anymore was rough. The idea that humanity can make better future was nice, I can’t fathom how these series turned into the grim dark mess they are.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Carwash oval office posted:

lol shut the gently caress up

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah did they ever stop trump? or whoever? trump was data's great great great grandfather?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lmao Surprise! It's me, Wesley Crusher

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lmao Surprise! It's me, Wesley Crusher

#butterfly tears

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so i guess after he "apprenticed" with the traveler he became a time boss

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Why is Kore worthy of godhood simply by wiping a hard drive?

What did they do with Tallin’s body? Did Earth discover a Romulan corpse in 2024?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

look it's in her contract that she has to be in this

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

sucks for kore clones 1-416

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

All "top critic" reviews are from March 3 - did they get to watch the whole season in advance? The rest are a bunch of jabronis.

They got screeners for the first three episodes. This has happened with most of the trek series, although strange new worlds had five episodes in screeners. I have the conspiracy theory that they front load the budget and intriguing plot ideas for the first few episodes and cheap out on the rest to scam reviewers. But it might just be the classic "our media outlet can't be too harsh, too often or else we wont get screeners anymore" conflict of interest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe she can go back and make it be a better show

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Its also thanks to streaming; if the first episode or two is intriguing, people talk, other people subscribe. Doesn't matter how poo poo the rest of the show is, since once someone is subscribed they are very unlikely to cancel their subscription.

I can't find the stats on it, but I remember reading a while back that something like 3/4 of netflix's income comes from people who don't use netflix.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
In a way, this show demonstrates how good an actor Patrick Stewart is. I always assumed his personality was similar to Picard and he worked hard on TNG because he identified with the character. I now realise he's just a talented actor who should never be given any creative control because his own ideas are terrible.

p.s. I can't judge him too harshly, given his work with women's shelters and PTSD sufferers.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 5, 2022

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh snap, Strange New Worlds starts in three days? Man I really want it to be something I like, but they're just gonna seamlessly transition me into watching a second show I get angry at, aren't they.

It's getting really good reviews (both audience and critic) so I'm hopeful. Though I was also hopeful for Picard after reading the reviews and well....

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

My friend showed me the first episode of The Man Who Fell To Earth, another Alex Kurtzman production, and I enjoyed it well enough. The problem is, there's no guarantee that the later episodes won't go completely off the rails.

Everything about this season of Picard sounds utterly ill-conceived. I thought maybe I would one day binge-watch these last two seasons as part of a Patrick Stewart career retrospective, but no, it seems like the whole show is best avoided entirely.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I liked the first season. I'm not particularly beholden to any one vision of Star Trek, it had an interesting hook (if sometimes shaky execution) and I liked that they attempted to cast decent actors instead of a talented captain surrounded by out of work soap opera filler. This season though is just a wreck. It's stuffed with 15 different ideas for a good season, with minimal time given to flesh out anything. I think I'd really enjoy a season about the Europa mission with Rios and the clinic doctor as a B story. But they kept adding more and more stories, then fan service, then the Borg and I just can't care about any of it.

Side note: I always found the futuristic anachronism of Picard's family life to be weird and off putting. Like was there an Earth wide trend to dress and speak like 1930's aristocrats? Can't we invent new cultural products in our pew pew spaceship show?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Plucky Brit posted:

In a way, this show demonstrates how good an actor Patrick Stewart is. I always assumed his personality was similar to Picard and he worked hard on TNG because he identified with the character. I now realise he's just a talented actor who should never be given any creative control because his own ideas are terrible.

p.s. I can't judge him too harshly, given his work with women's shelters and PTSD sufferers.

He's an absolute lad and that's totally fine, he just shouldn't have creative input on Star Trek, is all.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

3/4 of netflix's income comes from people who don't use netflix.

Hello, yes.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

infernal machines posted:

He's an absolute lad and that's totally fine, he just shouldn't have creative input on Star Trek, is all.

And this is something they should've known not to do, since he had a large amount of input in Insurrection and (I believe) Nemesis

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you've ever seen him in Extras, he wasn't acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Even without Patric Stewart having creative influence over the thing it's still being helmed by Alex Kurtzmann and Akiva Goldsman.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Side note: I always found the futuristic anachronism of Picard's family life to be weird and off putting. Like was there an Earth wide trend to dress and speak like 1930's aristocrats? Can't we invent new cultural products in our pew pew spaceship show?

Was that an "always" thing or just the writers of this show not knowing what else French people should look like?