Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is kinda funny considering FFXIV famously launched as a disaster and they spent like a decade desperately turning it around and ended up actually succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is kinda funny considering FFXIV famously launched as a disaster and they spent like a decade desperately turning it around and ended up actually succeeding.

Because Final Fantasy is kinda, you know, Square's biggest and most famous IP. Letting 1.0 sit there and taint the brand would have been a bad decision.

The suits can't really justify that kind of investment on a brand new IP when they can just kill it and try again with another new IP down the line.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Destiny 2 is still a mess to be fair, even if it's extremely popular

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BisbyWorl posted:

Because Final Fantasy is kinda, you know, Square's biggest and most famous IP. Letting 1.0 sit there and taint the brand would have been a bad decision.

The suits can't really justify that kind of investment on a brand new IP when they can just kill it and try again with another new IP down the line.

Pretty much, yeah, I said the same thing in another thread. They couldn't afford for the game to be a failure, so the only option was to keep hammering away at it til people liked it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the producer and director who took over FFXIV after it's dismal launch has pretty much said that they went through all the effort to re-work and re-launch the game because it's a numbered Final Fantasy.

If it was called something like "Final Fantasy: Eorzea Adventure Online" or whatever, they probably would have content to fix up and improve 1.0 and hope it found an audience. But since it was Final Fantasy XIV they basically made a whole new game instead.

The cost of doing that probably did influence the ridiculous sales targets for Square's western studios though. Trying to make up for all they spent making the game twice.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 5, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Squeenix royally hosed with People Can Fly quite recently. Outriders launched in a rough spot and needed some post launch TLC, but it was never intended to be an actual live service. It got the patches it needed and it’s big expansion is set to launch at the end of June//July…

But AFAIK People Can Fly weren’t ever given access to the sales #! They have no idea how many people actually bought their game! Can you imagine how hard it would be to develop and update a multiplayer game without knowing the population? Squeenix have been treating their Western devs like dogshit and 2nd class citizens, even when a game is well received and gets good press.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Squeenix royally hosed with People Can Fly quite recently. Outriders launched in a rough spot and needed some post launch TLC, but it was never intended to be an actual live service. It got the patches it needed and it’s big expansion is set to launch at the end of June//July…

But AFAIK People Can Fly weren’t ever given access to the sales #! They have no idea how many people actually bought their game! Can you imagine how hard it would be to develop and update a multiplayer game without knowing the population? Squeenix have been treating their Western devs like dogshit and 2nd class citizens, even when a game is well received and gets good press.

I've never played it but isn't Outriders a Co-Op game? It seems inconceivable to me that the devs wouldn't have access to matchmaking and (if applicable) server data at least if that is the case even if the actual sales numbers were never explicitly stated. I guess if all of those components were entirely handled by a completely separate team, but that would introduce a whole host of additional issues that would boggle my mind. Like imagine controlling patch deployment or fixing multiplayer bugs in that scenario lol. But even us proles using steamcharts can get a rough overview of how big a playerbase is, albeit only on one platform.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Potsticker posted:

This is what I'm really hoping the Dune survival game being made by the Conan Exiles people turns out to be.

All dune media apart from the movies will treat the failsons work as on a par with his dads, because his dad is dead and can't control it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Insurrectionist posted:

I've never played it but isn't Outriders a Co-Op game? It seems inconceivable to me that the devs wouldn't have access to matchmaking and (if applicable) server data at least if that is the case even if the actual sales numbers were never explicitly stated. I guess if all of those components were entirely handled by a completely separate team, but that would introduce a whole host of additional issues that would boggle my mind. Like imagine controlling patch deployment or fixing multiplayer bugs in that scenario lol. But even us proles using steamcharts can get a rough overview of how big a playerbase is, albeit only on one platform.

I have no idea about any of that, I’m just going off what the People Can Fly devs have said about how lovely it is to be kept in the dark, to be told that the game is well received and a success but to not be given sales figures.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Insurrectionist posted:

It can be played solo or co-op. I played 97% of the campaign solo, 2% with friends, and 1% with pubbies. There is matchmaking. Where you want/need to play with other people is the "endgame" which is an infinite grind of playing the same maps over and over again trying to get a shotgun that does .05% more damage or whatever. The campaign was enjoyable enough, the classes play pretty differently from one another, but endgame reminded me a lot of Anthem and early Destiny 1, where there was absolutely fuckall to do and the loot drops sucked rear end. I remember thinking "aren't these the same devs that made Bulletstorm?" because that game is great and it was like they just left a giant pile of poo poo on the floor and went "here's your endgame!" They made some improvements recently, but it felt like it wasn't intended to be a GaaS and that poo poo all got thrown on at the last minute. Doesn't sound too far off from reality.

Potsticker posted:

This is what I'm really hoping the Dune survival game being made by the Conan Exiles people turns out to be.
Isn't the new Dune game an RTS? Or are they making another one as well with Conan mechanics (or similar)? I got all jazzed and then gave moisture to the dead when I saw it's an RTS because I don't enjoy them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Spice Wars is kind of a hybrid of a 4x and RTS. I like it but I think I would've enjoyed it committing fully to either genre more.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did we talk about this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6LYBW8cH4c

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Not sure what a bog standard game announcement has to do with industry dysfunction and legal issues surrounding workplace problems.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rarity posted:

At this point the only employees left at ActiBlizz are the lawyers

Only people not just printing out resumes all day, anyways

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Monthly reminder to not give blizzard your money

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 11, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here’s a new write up about Square-Enix & Outriders, it’s so weird. Apparently the game sold well enough that it surpassed Square’s expectations, but still not enough to actually turn a profit. The devs at People Can Fly aren’t sure if the game will EVER even turn a profit, but it’s also one of the only western IPs they didn’t just sell.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/86023/outriders-didnt-make-profit-in-2021-people-can-fly-confirms/index.html

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Weird, but it's getting an expansion I guess. I hope that does well enough because I do like the game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Isn't the new Dune game an RTS? Or are they making another one as well with Conan mechanics (or similar)? I got all jazzed and then gave moisture to the dead when I saw it's an RTS because I don't enjoy them.

There's multiple Dune games, yeah. The RTS one just had a beta or early access launch or something. A friend was having a good time but said there's still a ways to go.

EDIT: Mokinokaro is right and there's a lot of 4x elements to it, too.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I can't believe the NFT market is collapsing even after the good news that you can use multiple slurp juices on a single ape

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1522620639789543424

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Potsticker posted:

There's multiple Dune games, yeah. The RTS one just had a beta or early access launch or something. A friend was having a good time but said there's still a ways to go.

EDIT: Mokinokaro is right and there's a lot of 4x elements to it, too.

It's made by the French company who did Northgard, and is very much like that but with a few twists. So yeah, a 4X RTS hybrid thing.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Mokinokaro posted:

Spice Wars is kind of a hybrid of a 4x and RTS. I like it but I think I would've enjoyed it committing fully to either genre more.

We already have Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty. Why try to build on perfection? :colbert:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DarkSol posted:

We already have Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty. Why try to build on perfection? :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DarkSol posted:

Because you can't drag-select in that game.

(It was a total banger, tho)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.fanbyte.com/features/the-hopeful-beginning-and-abrupt-shuttering-of-funomena/

The People Make Games video already made Hunicke and Funomena look super bad - and this sounds even worse (especially the forced crunch, low morale and how personal info was weaponized against employees):

quote:

One source relayed a story where they left a virtual meeting saying they would not be able to work after hours that night, prompting Hunicke to loudly joke to the rest of the attendees that the employee “probably can’t work as hard because their marriage is in trouble and they need to take care of that.” The source said they closed the meeting window on a freeze frame of Hunicke laughing at her own joke.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Weird, but it's getting an expansion I guess. I hope that does well enough because I do like the game.

It's kind of in an odd place because they pushed it as a Destiny-like but it's more of a singleplayer experience with co-op and one endgame MP activity.

It's also got servers like a GaaS but no microtransactions whatsoever to get steady income (which is where games like Destiny make their money.)

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I have a lot of unprocessed angst about my personal experiences on the academic and theory side of game development

I was one of the founding fledglings at new york university's game design program, before it was even a program, really

Every single person was a loving shitshow of a bad, bad, bad person, staff and student alike

Except for frank lantz, he gets a small pass

And Ian bogost, too (he gets a medium-to-large pass)

Jesper juul is personally responsible for me saying gently caress this, I'm out and just getting a doctorate in a different field instead

Just ugh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I used to post with Frank on the old man Murray boards back in the day, glad he was ok.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

i really, really loved glitch, this one stings :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Here’s a new write up about Square-Enix & Outriders, it’s so weird. Apparently the game sold well enough that it surpassed Square’s expectations, but still not enough to actually turn a profit. The devs at People Can Fly aren’t sure if the game will EVER even turn a profit, but it’s also one of the only western IPs they didn’t just sell.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/86023/outriders-didnt-make-profit-in-2021-people-can-fly-confirms/index.html

"Turn a profit" is a really weird framing here (I understand it's not your framing). Outriders has certainly turned a profit, just not for People Can Fly. Most games published with the "traditional" (though increasingly-rare) model won't give a royalty check until the royalties earned by the developer surpass their advance. The formula might be ((Gross - <agreed-upon costs>) * (royalties percentage)) - PCF's advance. Depending on where things like marketing & distribution go into the formula, the publisher can make really just a shitload of profits before the developer sees a dime.

It's insanely common for that to just never happen- most developers back in the day were living advance to advance. That's become less common because most developers get set up, make one game, and then get bought. Or they figure out their own funding and take all the profits or at least start getting royalties immediately after the marketing is paid for. Or they're indie and publish through steam. PCF is probably pissed because they don't know if they're close to seeing a royalties check or not.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

drat, the Wattam folks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Apogee founder comments on the DNF leak and the culture at the time.

https://www.apogeeent.com/devblog/dnf-truth

SCOTT MILLER, APOGEE FOUNDER posted:

Looks like someone leaked a build of Duke Nukem Forever from 2001. Anyone expecting much of a playable game will be disappointed. The game's brilliant trailer from that period definitely over-represented what was actually playable in the game.

(BTW, I have no idea who leaked the build or how they obtained it.)

DNF is the game that destroyed 3D Realms and ended up getting the company sold to an investor in Denmark (where it's still based). While our games like Max Payne and Prey were keeping the company afloat, DNF was a constant money pit for the company and eventually killed the original 3D Realms/Apogee.

IMO, while I was not part of the DNF project, as a company owner I had some good insight into the issues with the game's development.

- We were always understaffed by at least 50%.

- We did not have a good development roadmap (at least, I never once saw one), and instead the project was adlibbed too much.

- Because of the game's slow development, when new 3D technology became available, the project--in effect--rebooted to make use of the newest tech causing massive delays over and over.

I recognized that DNF was in deep trouble back in 2004 and tried to get the entire game developed by a more experienced studio, Digital Extremes (now famous for Warframe). The owner there was eager to take over DNF from us, and we even had the blessing of our publisher at the time (Take-Two), but this idea was shot down internally. It turned out to be a fatal suicide shot.

In the end we worked out a deal to somehow barely save the project with Gearbox Software, and basically handed over the future of the Duke brand to them with the idea that they'd finish the game. A year or so later, it was released.

It's a very sad story no matter how you look at it. It brought 3D Realms to its knees, all of our development team left or was released, and the 3D Realms name is now owned by someone with no connection to our past.

I do hope that Gearbox can resurrect Duke Nukem at some point. It seems like the obvious move would be to recreate Duke Nukem 3D using Unreal 5. And if it does well, then start making more Duke adventures while also expanding the universe with new characters.

I hate seeing people in management complain about heavy understaffing. Like dude, you can hire more people and pay existing employees better, or find out why people keep quitting.

I don't think Duke Nukem really has a place in today's cultural landscape.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I hate seeing people in management complain about heavy understaffing. Like dude, you can hire more people and pay existing employees better, or find out why people keep quitting.

There’s another video I can’t remember that tracks the history of the various DNF development teams pretty well (the Wha Happen? maybe) with footage and interviews of when it was like ten people in a house desperately trying to keep it going but as far as I remember this video by the 8bit guy of all people (big Internet Dork himself) actually does a pretty good job of explaining why 3d Realms at the time had a fair amount of difficulty recruiting and keeping employees: https://youtu.be/mXSdikcUuo0

It wasn’t the management being creeps, it wasn’t bad pay, it pretty much came down to location and incredible competition for game developers at the time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's interesting that the most misogynistic and disgusting part of Duke Nukem Forever 2011 (the alien hive) which caused a huge controversy on release isn't in the leak of the 2001 build or even referenced in the files. That seems to be something unwisely added in a later build, probably around the time they wanted to crib from Half-Life 2's physics puzzles.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I could 100% see Randy Pitchford stumbling into the offices post-acquisition and going "What we really need in this game is a big wall of tits you can slap around!"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I imagine they couldn't just hire new people due to Broussard insisting on adding new features and restarting development over and over again was chewing through their budget like crazy.

Also I feel like Duke could definitely fit in the small-scale boomer shooter revival we've been having the last couple of years. Instead of it being a small episode in DN3D World Tour (gently caress you Randy), just make a whole new Build game like the new 3D Realms did with Ion Fury.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

A shooter with lots of "immersive sim" style interactables and constant references and jokes? I can't imagine that being popular nowadays.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

People like to feel like their work matters. When you just get thrown in the deep end with no end date and unclear expectations it's really miserable.

You would think you'd be happy to just show up and get a paycheck but inevitably 'This is hosed and there's nothing I can do to fix it' ends up being a huge drag.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The leak shows a game with a lot of potential, the actual nexus point seems to be the choice to switch to a new rendering engine that required reworking all the level and art assets they had created up until that point. If they hadn't done that and instead went with the design they had then maybe we could have had a fairly good Half Life/Deus Ex influenced Duke instead of the Halo/COD aping trainwreck it became.

It was mismanagement at the top. Scott and George slinging poo poo at each other and everyone under them explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't quite agree that Duke is dated and wouldn't work today. Aspects of Duke 3D and definitely Forever, sure but those games are the ones which introduces the dated and problematic stuff to begin with, Forever way moreso than 3D at that. Remember, the first Duke Nukem game characterized him as an 80s action hero goofball who got mad when an evil cyborg scientist tried to take over the world and stopped him from watching Oprah, then he kicked the mad scientists rear end so hard the villain had to time travel to the future to escape from Duke's wrath and Duke followed, like the Terminator but in reverse. There was nothing misogynistic about that, it was just cheesy dumb.

That aspect of him would still absolutely work today. He just needs a development team who aren't full of shitheads.