Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Who could have forseen this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Beginning to lose my faith in Portuguese cycling

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
For a reminder of the :eyepop: that started this investigation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospZcKfC1vY

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Hah I remember watching that and at the time thinking "who the gently caress is that". It was so unexpected and kind of anticlimactic.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thomas is in the bin already.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Romandie has been dogshit. Froome wasn't dropped till the 3rd climb of the queen stage

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hahahahaha

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I take it back, higuita nearly taking out vlasov whilst he posts up too early redeems the stage.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I take it back, higuita nearly taking out vlasov whilst he posts up too early redeems the stage.

Nah it wasn't too early, he was giving it up and trying to do a team synchro celebration but Higuita was too committed for that obviously

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Oh dear, oh dear. Jumbo don't do well with mountain time trials

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Oh dear, oh dear. Jumbo don't do well with mountain time trials

It's the result you'd have predicted at the start of the week, it's just been really slow ponderous racing for the most part. No real splintering of the favourites

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think I've ever seen a particularly great Romandie, for whatever reason.

most consistently good stage races these days are Pais Vasco and Tirreno-Adriatico. and Paris-Nice if the wind is cooperative

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Now that Cyclingtips, Cyclingnews, and Velonews are all mostly/partially behind the paywall, what's the good place to go to for pro cycling news?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just disable javascript on those sites. All you lose is the comment section.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I decided to pay to for cycling tips because their articles are all pretty decent and seem the least advertorially of the major sites. Plus that story on the fake pro was incredible.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

tylertfb posted:

Now that Cyclingtips, Cyclingnews, and Velonews are all mostly/partially behind the paywall, what's the good place to go to for pro cycling news?

Wielerflits is pretty exhaustive and reads ok translated to English, somewhat Dutch and Belgian focused though.

I bounce between liking and disliking Cyclingtips a bit. The fake pro article was great although some of that authors others prior to it have just been long creative writing pieces for clicks rather than anything substantive. Their website redesign also made the home page very sparse (like every website these days), so if you don't visit frequently you miss a lot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The end of 4 Jours de Dunkerque was bad. Looks like the Lotto rider tried to ride through a gap that wasn’t there and boom, big crash.

E: on rewatching it looks like Welsford deviated a bit

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 3, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The end of 4 Jours de Dunkerque was bad. Looks like the Lotto rider tried to ride through a gap that wasn’t there and boom, big crash.

E: on rewatching it looks like Welsford deviated a bit

Had his elbow out and was leaning over a lot too, there's a reason he was relegated

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Having his elbows out is fine if that's how he sprints (it is tbf), it's the lean in that causes it, but it's also hard to tell if that's a thrown block or a combination of elbows hooking up and fading left to follow the turn to the line. DQ is understandable but I wouldn't call it dirty.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It was a sprint a cat 4 would be proud of.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The WC52 - FC Porto cyclists all tested negative, which (given the other evidence) suggests that there's undetectable secret sauce out there

Can also be that current testing programmes just can't detect state of the art doping regimens using known PEDs

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 4, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How bad is testing it a lower level team can afford the secret juice that gives you that level of performance?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wasn't there conjecture that the new secret sauce is lugworm hemoglobin or something? How expensive could that be? Just go squeeze a bunch of those fuckers

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

The WC52 - FC Porto cyclists all tested negative, which (given the other evidence) suggests that there's undetectable secret sauce out there

Can also be that current testing programmes just can't detect state of the art doping regimens using known PEDs

I'm going to keep on harping my "corruption doping" stance here. They threw the director under the bus probably because he wouldn't pay whoever wanted to be paid and found a new guy who will. Then magically, the tests are negative.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gilbert absolutely destroyed everyone in that sprint.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It’s da Giro baby

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Here we go!!!!!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there some place I can watch for free, legally?

TV2 lost the contract for the Giro to Discovery, and I'm not exactly enthusiastic about a million billion commercials.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Eurosport/GCN stuff is all ad free

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

peanut- posted:

Eurosport/GCN stuff is all ad free
Wait what?

Eurosport is owned by Discovery so they're showing it both places but one without commercials?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've never looked at Discovery's service so I dunno if they include the ad-free options, but all cycling on Eurosport Player offers an ad-free stream and the same stream gets shown on GCN.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wait what?

Eurosport is owned by Discovery so they're showing it both places but one without commercials?

Online is ad free

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Dumb nationalism means I gotta cheer for my man Taaramäe 🇪🇪

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i think you have to pay extra for the ad free options on discovery plus.

but eurosport player has ad free with all subscriptions.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 6, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

peanut- posted:

I've never looked at Discovery's service so I dunno if they include the ad-free options, but all cycling on Eurosport Player offers an ad-free stream and the same stream gets shown on GCN.
You said Eurosport/GCN so I assumed the broadcast channels, which definitely have commercials.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Online is ad free
But that's a service you pay for.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1522548559379320834?t=NgnqjV4F7D-L8qAB81-X5w&s=19

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is there some place I can watch for free, legally?

TV2 lost the contract for the Giro to Discovery, and I'm not exactly enthusiastic about a million billion commercials.

I know you said free, but GCN+ is 25% off a year sub at the moment, so it’s $38. I was reluctant to pay but it’s very worth it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Time to tune in then

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Naesen says gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!