Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

whats the yospos recommended dock for using the macbook air that only has 2 usb-c ports?

mrs cob has this, which is great, but the hdmi port is too touchy so we plug it into another dongle that does hdmi + usb-c so she only plugs in one cable still

macbook air <--- dongle w/ hdmi <--- this anker thing for power + usb

fake edit: just noticed the price, holy poo poo we paid like 69 bucks for it when we got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

fake edit: just noticed the price, holy poo poo we paid like 69 bucks for it when we got it

lol it's $30 in the US, looks like they don't have any in stock and a 3rd party seller is price gouging

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

njsykora posted:

anker do a good one that’s specifically for the air and gives you a bunch of USB ports, sd card slot and hdmi

is the hdmi absolute trash like every other usbc to hdmi converter i've used? displayport always works fine, but i've had two usbc adapters (one of them anker) suck really bad for hdmi

this one sucks dont get it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

is the hdmi absolute trash like every other usbc to hdmi converter i've used? displayport always works fine, but i've had two usbc adapters (one of them anker) suck really bad for hdmi

this one sucks dont get it

well, its hdmi, so of course its bad

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

whats the yospos recommended dock for using the macbook air that only has 2 usb-c ports?

CalDigit TB3 dock worked great on my '18 Air, works great w/ my M1 MAXX. Haven't tried the TB4.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Does anyone have a link to that article from a few years back that had a product packaging engineer explaining why you shouldn’t try to copy Apple’s packaging design? Something about how you’ll bankrupt your company doing it and you will never get the various pieces of white cardboard and plastic to match anyway.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pulcinella posted:

Does anyone have a link to that article from a few years back that had a product packaging engineer explaining why you shouldn’t try to copy Apple’s packaging design? Something about how you’ll bankrupt your company doing it and you will never get the various pieces of white cardboard and plastic to match anyway.

i remember the opposite thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is too good lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pulcinella posted:

there's this but I think I remember one specifically about the packaging materials

I'm reminded of tim buying all of a specific type of aluminum milling machines in the world which is why the first 3 years of "ultrabooks" were all plastic

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

there's this but I think I remember one specifically about the packaging materials

I'm reminded of tim buying all of a specific type of aluminum milling machines in the world which is why the first 3 years of "ultrabooks" were all plastic

the palm postmortem mentions things like this. People were asking why touchpads were so clunky and the answer was "because Apple had bought all production of X, Y and Z parts for the next 5 years"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

yeah back then there were 24 of them in the whole world and tim prepaid for all the time on them for 3 years lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have one of the apple bt keebs that takes AA batteries and the micro laser shot holes for the LED that you can't see when it's off, but pass through the LED light when it's on, are just....yeah. and that thing's almost ten years old now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

timbs finest moment imho

graph posted:

yeah back then there were 24 of them in the whole world and tim prepaid for all the time on them for 3 years lol
they also told the company that manufactured them that theyd prepay upfront for any new machines that they built during that time as well

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
They also payed a billion upfront for lcd manufacturing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

the closest I've seen to their packaging is ubiquiti which was started by former apple engineers, which tracks

rotor posted:

the palm postmortem mentions things like this. People were asking why touchpads were so clunky and the answer was "because Apple had bought all production of X, Y and Z parts for the next 5 years"

yep, it really hamstrung them, though it's one of the sturdiest plastic tablets I've ever had

i heard chatter the screen was the same or similar due to excess stock of 9.7" screens, but I'm not sure it that's true or coincidental

Jonny 290 posted:

i have one of the apple bt keebs that takes AA batteries and the micro laser shot holes for the LED that you can't see when it's off, but pass through the LED light when it's on, are just....yeah. and that thing's almost ten years old now.

it's even finer than the mbp camera led passthrough in earlier generations, almost translucently small, loving impressive

that's my favorite wireless keyboard; decent keys, replicable batteries, and sturdy despite having a huge plastic back

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

qirex posted:

Thanks. I might have indeed been thinking of this one because of these three quotes

quote:

White plastic
White is of course the most difficult color to mold. If you NEED to use white, never have two separately molded white-on-white parts. They will never be perfectly color matched.

Molded plastic packaging
Many small Apple products come in polycarbonate + ABS/PC mix molded packaging. This is both harder and more expensive than you might think. Recycled cardboard is your friend

4-color, double-walled, matte boxes + HD foam inserts
I know you’re going to do this anyways, but be aware that these kind of boxes will literally be the most expensive line item on your BOM. It’s not unusual for them to cost upwards of $12/unit at scale. And then they get thrown away.

There might be another one somewhere on packaging though. I do remember someone showing a picture with something like “see! Here is an example for how to do nice recycled cardboard packaging and you won’t be losing :10bux: on each box.”

That guy’s article about the Juicero is also great. Just lol at wasting $120 million on a “juicer” trying to mimic Apple. https://beneinstein.medium.com/heres-why-juicero-s-press-is-so-expensive-6add74594e50

Though at least Juicero was willing to spend money. Was on a former project where the client wanted “Apple quality” but at 1% of the cost.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 5, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was kind of blown away by the box for my mac studio. the freakin thing has an integrated cloth handle

my various laptops and phones and ms jones's imac and the airpods all had good packaging but this was the first one that just seemed, well, _extra_

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

i was kind of blown away by the box for my mac studio. the freakin thing has an integrated cloth handle

yeah my m1 imac box has the same thing. it even expands/contracts a little

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the studio box is extremely extra. it weighs as much as the studio itself does because it does all the dampening required for shipping with cardboard springs. i wouldn't be shocked if the box itself cost like $100 to make.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

it's 2022 and i've still never used a touchpad that even approximates the quality of apple's

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it's 2022 and i've still never used a touchpad that even approximates the quality of apple's

yeah

because Apple had bought all production of X, Y and Z parts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there are no good trackpads because: apple has a team dedicated to multitouch drivers. teams are expensive. your random Chinese PC OEM does not have a team, they don’t have the margins on their products to pay for that. they use the drivers provided by the touchpad vendor. the touchpad vendor also can’t pay a team because they are getting squeezed in the typical PC industry race to the bottom. they would write better drivers and sell better hardware is someone was willing to pay more for their products. nobody is.

Microsoft and Google have shown that they can actually make decent trackpads in their PC products if they want to, since they are willing to spend the money on it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Management posted:

there are no good trackpads because: apple has a team dedicated to multitouch drivers. teams are expensive. your random Chinese PC OEM does not have a team, they don’t have the margins on their products to pay for that. they use the drivers provided by the touchpad vendor. the touchpad vendor also can’t pay a team because they are getting squeezed in the typical PC industry race to the bottom. they would write better drivers and sell better hardware is someone was willing to pay more for their products. nobody is.

Microsoft and Google have shown that they can actually make decent trackpads in their PC products if they want to, since they are willing to spend the money on it.

yeah google has some deece trackpads in some of their notebooks. not quite as nice as apple but that's more about planning deeper os integration imo; the physical trackpads and tracking are about on par

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
which microsoft products have good trackpads?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

Microsoft have shown again and again they're unwilling to make good products tho. The surface line of products is a march of products with one or two good ideas and then just insanity. The carpeted laptops never stood a chance to survive in a world where aluminium exists, but what happened to the big surface architect / drawing thing? They made two series of it and then nothing.

Cold on a Cob posted:

The ones costing macbook amounts of money I would assume.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

champagne posting posted:

The ones costing macbook amounts of money I would assume.

i'm actually asking for specifics, in a non-snarky way. i thought the only product they had was the surface?

e: oh they make "surface laptops" now, huh. are they any good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm actually asking for specifics, in a non-snarky way. i thought the only product they had was the surface?

the first few generations were entirely glued together and has lovely carpeting on the palm rests that got gross, but i think the current generation is basically just okay laptops, but who knows since no one who buys windows laptops buys anything but the cheapest thing available at best buy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

they're the best computer microsoft makes.

they're fine, and they have good screens with a 3:2 aspect ratio, which is pretty good for some things. they actually function and don't seem to have the massive reliability issues of the various surface tablets. all the accessories are still poo poo though because they use the surface dock connector which is hot garbage.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

they're the best computer microsoft makes.

they're fine … hot garbage

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cold on a Cob posted:

none of them

Cold on a Cob posted:

no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i got a samsung galaxy chomebook pro or whatever the gently caress its called (mine's silver but they're commonly orange)

honestly i got it because it was $480ish down from nearly $2k and it has a 13" 4k OLED, but like a week afterwards the trackpad started going loving bonkers and i couldn't figure out why

so i finally cracked it open the other day and welp, turns out it was shorting itself after it would heat up because some conductive tape got unstuck. gj samsung

now i know why it was so cheap. some more tape fixed that and it's okay for now i guess

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

the vendors also don't really have an incentive to improve the driver because any sophisticated customer is going to throw it out anyway

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my work laptop is a "bang & olufsen" (lmao) but it doesn't even have the b&o look wtf

just a generic grey plastic piece of poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
aren't those just HPs with licensed branding?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

aren't those just HPs with licensed branding?

it's something like that yeah. I'm not at work so I can't check

only thing i can tell you without checking is that it does look and work like crap

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

i got a samsung galaxy chomebook pro or whatever the gently caress its called (mine's silver but they're commonly orange)

honestly i got it because it was $480ish down from nearly $2k and it has a 13" 4k OLED, but like a week afterwards the trackpad started going loving bonkers and i couldn't figure out why

so i finally cracked it open the other day and welp, turns out it was shorting itself after it would heat up because some conductive tape got unstuck. gj samsung

now i know why it was so cheap. some more tape fixed that and it's okay for now i guess

i got a samsung chromebook 3 refurb to poke at chrome os years ago and the trackpad, despite being small and plastic, was surprisingly okay

instead of a sloppy taping, the case had a misaligned panel that caused a hairline crack to form, so rest assured they found some build quality corner to cut back then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

i got a samsung chromebook 3 refurb to poke at chrome os years ago and the trackpad, despite being small and plastic, was surprisingly okay

instead of a sloppy taping, the case had a misaligned panel that caused a hairline crack to form, so rest assured they found some build quality corner to cut back then

yeah my wife has a samsung chromebook v2 (...something) and it's plasticky as hell but actually not awful, 11" 1920x1200 owns

so that gave me a bit of confidence to buy this thing, and really it's not that bad as a dumb linux terminal when everything works (and the oled is great), which is why i'd say if it's on sale go for it but otherwise stay the gently caress away

one thing that really pisses me off is that i got one of samsung's weird rear end UFS cards to dual boot off of and literally the option just does nothing. the other chomebook boots off of microsds just fine, idgi

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

didn't sarnsung make a tablet where the as card port wasn't functional and the promised to fix it and never did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure that was motorola, but i might be confusing it with the 4g addon on the xoom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

didn't sarnsung make a tablet where the as card port wasn't functional and the promised to fix it and never did

probably? samsung makes a ton of crap and that sounds like the experience i so yearn for