Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mercury_Storm posted:

They just seem to be tossing anyone and everyone into the unranked queues lately, at least if you have a pre-made squad. Champion squad will have thousands of kills and level 500, and you'll still run into people that just stand still while shooting at you, never even get blue armor more halfway through the match, etc.

There seems to be a "missing middle" in the game's player-base and felt like it was getting worse every season. Pure anecdote of course, take it with a planet-sized block of salt, but my last two seasons my randos were either drunk guys/small children or absolute killers. The good-ole grinders with the mid-level badges were rarely seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I like to think I'm a mid level grinder and not a drunk baby but anecdotally same.

My matches are filled with loving demons non stop.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There seems to be a "missing middle" in the game's player-base and felt like it was getting worse every season. Pure anecdote of course, take it with a planet-sized block of salt, but my last two seasons my randos were either drunk guys/small children or absolute killers. The good-ole grinders with the mid-level badges were rarely seen.

Yeah I consider myself a mid level grinder. About 1.7kd and maybe 530~ average damage? Above average and easily plat tier. But christ I don't remember it ever being this bad. It'd happen back then of course and it was annoying but I've been getting non stop dick stompings. Never seen as many players with streamer mode turned on too. They get the 50,000 kill wraith and I don't even get a 3rd squadmate half the time. Occasionally I'll get a master level teammate but I can count the times on one hand.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

FYI, stuff from the Monsters Within event can now be crafted for the normal amount of metals.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That makes that one seer skin tempting

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

runchild posted:

FYI, stuff from the Monsters Within event can now be crafted for the normal amount of metals.

Are they listed in the character skins? I need that Caustic banner

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The Diddler posted:

Are they listed in the character skins? I need that Caustic banner

Yes, it’s all in the general loot pool so it can be crafted at will. The caveat for the new “themed event” format was that the new stuff costs double for a couple of seasons, but that phase is over for Monsters Within. Dark Depths and Unshackled stuff is still at a premium.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

err posted:

I can't remember the last time I finished someone that was downed from another team.

People are blowing it out of proportion

I do it literally every game if I don't die on drop

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How do people generally play the situation that develops in the final few rings where there's only 3-4 teams left, and you know the moment you get into a fight the other teams are going to run in and dogpile you?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Mercury_Storm posted:

How do people generally play the situation that develops in the final few rings where there's only 3-4 teams left, and you know the moment you get into a fight the other teams are going to run in and dogpile you?
In general you want to make yourself the hardest targets to push and the last ones to act. Save bubble/ults. Take the highground. Have a plan for moving up final circle. Force the other teams to fight if possible - this is why you always keep nades for endgame.

For the longest time there's been no great endgame strategical thought in ranked because KP wasn't tied to placement and no one's going to sweat it like an ALGS final, so even if you do everything right you'll get full swung and griefed for 4th by a team that's just happy to die for it and finish 3rd. Maybe these latest changes will help that, remains to be seen.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 6, 2022

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

Usually I just play the circle and try to get the best cover and wait until the other teams start fighting and then third party them. Sometimes you won't even have to do anything because the last two teams will fight outside of ring and die in the zone.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
take the best position, hunker down until you hear fighting. if several teams are doing this take some random potshots to make it seem like a fight is starting.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Does anyone else absolutely hate the new season changes that were announced? It's just going to promote ratting even more, make climbing ranks even more of a grind than it currently is, and put solo queuers at an even greater disadvantage than before.

Basically it's doing more of everything that was bad about ranked

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Tetrabor posted:

I mean, it makes sense. You didn't do the work when they were a threat, why should you get the kill?

I would argue that you should get the kill if they have a self res, because they're still a threat at that point.

But if 2 teams fight each other and 1 guy is left standing with 1 hp and you 3rd party and hit him with 1 bullet and kill him, you DID do the work at that point? How are you any more "deserving" of the KP in that situation?

In both cases you were just in the right place at the right time, either award the KP in both situations or change it so that no one gets any KP unless their team does 100% of the damage on an enemy (if another enemy team does a single point of damage on the target, then your team didn't "deserve" the KP).

Ideally I would say if a guy is knocked and the guy who knocked him gets killed, he should still get credit if the knocked guy gets eliminated before getting revived. But I also find it reasonable if a third party gets credit for finishing off the knocked guy, because they directly contributed to weakening the knocked guy's team by doing so. But not giving ANYONE KP in that situation is lame

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anything that promotes playing smart to win instead half the server dropping in a singular location to knifefight over a P2020 and a white barrel is a improvement over the way most normal matches go in my option.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really enjoy ranked compared to regular queue, it's actually pretty fun to have more then 2 other squads alive by the time the first circle closes and ring 4 still having 8+ squads alive gets really chaotic.

Bronze is also a "big fish in a small pond" experience with half the lobby having to pick between moving or shooting because they can barely handle one of them.

Chaotic /= good. I absolutely HATE when there are a ton of squads left in the final zone, because that makes it more a random coin flip regarding which team is going to win, rather than skill for solo-queuers. You can't outplay other teams in a situation where as soon as you start firing at someone, you get people from 3 different squads all firing at you from close range to try to snatch some KP, while everyone is camping behind some wall.

It's the reason I usually burn out on ranked when I get to plat. You have a bunch of teams camping the final zone, afraid to start shooting anyone because they know they will be instantly third partied if they do

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

Does anyone else absolutely hate the new season changes that were announced? It's just going to promote ratting even more, make climbing ranks even more of a grind than it currently is, and put solo queuers at an even greater disadvantage than before.

No, almost all of the changes should be very good for ranked. The whole point is that you're supposed to play for the win not yolo hotdrop every game to try to get kills because you're hardstuck.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

DrunkPanda posted:

Chaotic /= good. I absolutely HATE when there are a ton of squads left in the final zone, because that makes it more a random coin flip regarding which team is going to win, rather than skill for solo-queuers. You can't outplay other teams in a situation where as soon as you start firing at someone, you get people from 3 different squads all firing at you from close range to try to snatch some KP, while everyone is camping behind some wall.

It's the reason I usually burn out on ranked when I get to plat. You have a bunch of teams camping the final zone, afraid to start shooting anyone because they know they will be instantly third partied if they do

It's not really more random if there are more teams in the final zone. Whoever has the better position is much more likely to win. If you're constantly not in good position; you should make getting better positioning a priority in the earlier rings.

If you have a bad position due to ring luck or other circumstances, outplaying multiple teams is basically your only option. That's why Valk and Gibby are so good because they have the best tools to out-maneuver other teams, or you can create space for yourself with bubble and bombardment.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anything that promotes playing smart to win instead half the server dropping in a singular location to knifefight over a P2020 and a white barrel is a improvement over the way most normal matches go in my option.
my only worry is that the 99% of us who said we wanted smarter/better endgames will actually get what we wished for and it's just ultra hard sweating all the time. Like the pendulum for ranked will overcorrect towards extreme tryharding.

Might be the preferable of the two scenarios and something to get used to, I guess.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Up Circle posted:

make new game or make an heirloom that you sell for 250 dollars alongside a rework of a crappy hero?

I would be willing to pay $250 for a copy of Titanfall 3

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

tetsuo posted:

For the longest time there's been no great endgame strategical thought in ranked because KP wasn't tied to placement and no one's going to sweat it like an ALGS final

KP value has been tied to placement for ages though? I can't remember when/if it wasn't. Dunno where you're playing but London are more than sweaty enough (although not ALGS sweaty, there aren't enough Gibby domes to go around).

DrunkPanda posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but haven't looked into the numbers yet. IMO kills should give a sizable amount of points at the upper placement levels, so I hope they've found a better balance. This current season prioritized placement too much leading to a lot more ratting than usual.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Regrettable posted:

No, almost all of the changes should be very good for ranked. The whole point is that you're supposed to play for the win not yolo hotdrop every game to try to get kills because you're hardstuck.

It seems like most of the people that like the changes say that they like it because they don't want to have to play with hard stucks.

Well if that's the case, why not just keep ranked the way it is, with the exception being that the tier 4 players all match against each other in one bucket, while the tier 1-3 players in a rank are put in a separate queue? That fixes the problem without changing up a ton of the poo poo that is going to make rank worse.

I agree that it is annoying when you get to the tier 1 of a rank and the game seems to only give you tier 4 teammates that want to hot drop, but my proposed change eliminates that problem

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

It seems like most of the people that like the changes say that they like it because they don't want to have to play with hard stucks.

Well if that's the case, why not just keep ranked the way it is, with the exception being that the tier 4 players all match against each other in one bucket, while the tier 1-3 players in a rank are put in a separate queue? That fixes the problem without changing up a ton of the poo poo that is going to make rank worse.

I agree that it is annoying when you get to the tier 1 of a rank and the game seems to only give you tier 4 teammates that want to hot drop, but my proposed change eliminates that problem

That's literally how they used to try to do it but it made queue times super long once you hit D3 and then there still usually weren't enough players to pull it off. If you hit D3 you would essentially be in a harder tier than someone who was D4 and you'd start getting lots of high rank Diamonds and Masters in your lobbies whereas the D4 server was mostly D4s. Also, if most people in 4 are playing like assholes it makes it more difficult and time consuming to climb out of those games to get to a point where people aren't greifing everyone's games including their own.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just allowing people to demote between ranks is a much more straightforward solution to people getting hardstuck at the bottom of a rank

i assume the rank ratcheting system was supposed to be a player engagement optimization thing (losing a rank feels bad) but it may have done more harm than good

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

repiv posted:

just allowing people to demote between ranks is a much more straightforward solution to people getting hardstuck at the bottom of a rank

i assume the rank ratcheting system was supposed to be a player engagement optimization thing (losing a rank feels bad) but it may have done more harm than good

yeah i think it's gonna feel bad at first but a better system in the long run

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Keito posted:

KP value has been tied to placement for ages though? I can't remember when/if it wasn't. Dunno where you're playing but London are more than sweaty enough (although not ALGS sweaty, there aren't enough Gibby domes to go around)
You're right, it has scaled,I was trippin. It's the scaling that's a lot more punishing for bottom half finishes -
(current on top, new on bottom)

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 6, 2022

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

DrunkPanda posted:

The changes are good and I like them but if they keep the season split demotions the same it does look getting higher ranks is going to feel like a real grind every 45 days

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 6, 2022

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

tetsuo posted:

(current on top, new on bottom)

Your current example is wrong, what you are showing is from last season not this season.

https://apexlegends.fandom.com/wiki/Ranked#Tiers

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I only got into Apex late last year when I was off sick for ages. I don't know anything about the lore, tactics, level grinding or anything, but I'm reasonably comfortable with FPSs considering I'm nearly 40. I've won about 18 games and the game generally great fun, much more so to me than Warzone.

But the last week every match I've been in has been full of rapists, and I'm the main course. I can hardly move in real life now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
I still think a solid fix would be if you hit a damage threshold or kill threshold you can't get negative RP in a game. This still punishes hot dropping, since you'll just get the paltry RP for 2 kills 30 seconds into a match. Which, lets face it, half of hot dropping is RNG on who gets relevant guns vs who doesn't rather than specific skill. If you come out of that alright to carry on the game, great. If not, it shouldn't be a 20-30-40 point penalty for bone head hot drop team mates if you're able to avail yourself some damage. Its a small comfort, but I think having that opportunity to save your RP is helpful.

Having hard stops between tiers, I get why they did that. It DOES feel bad to de-rank, especially if its in the situation listed above. But it DID stop a problem that happens in many other FPS ranked games where you can get into a spiral that you can't get out of. You put a pro NFL quarterback on a bad division 2 college team and it doesn't matter how good he is, he aint winning many games. Then to ask that same QB to work his way back into the NFL on division 2 college teams only is a losing proposition, he has to outperform everyone whereas others who didn't fall that low don't have to. I think having the backstops on each rank stops that and allows players to take a break and alleviate some of the pressure or anxiety about losing RP. The flip side is the issue of folks getting hard stuck and just not giving a poo poo and blowing up games for others. Maybe put in so many "freebie" games before you can derank, but make it possible to derank if you're abusing it?

I just wish that the game rewarded engagements and hitting shots more than it does last hitting. It just feels bad to do 800 or so damage to a team in a tough fire fight, get knocked down yourself, the other team dies and you get no credit for all of the obvious damage done. If it gets all healed up, then no it shouldn't be your kill, but if they pop 1 shield cell, then die.....that ought to be credit to you. As it is now, that is questionable and it really shouldn't be.

No I'm not salty about that at all getting within 50 RP of Diamond and then falling back to plat 4 in a series of hot droppers at the end of this season why do you ask. I'd rather tread water and stay same rank and move forward for contributing than insta-losing 30 or so RP because bone heads don't care about their RP themselves.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Javik the Seer posted:

Maybe put in so many "freebie" games before you can derank, but make it possible to derank if you're abusing it?

that's exactly what they did with the new system, there's soft derank protection now where you get 3 games to redeem yourself after hitting the bottom of your rank before you actually get demoted

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I wonder if it will be 3 total before deranking or it resets upon positive gain.

I can see both being fine. If you really are a Plat player but get out of it by attrition then you probably should stay in Plat. On the other hand if you hit a series of bad games you at least can maintain your buffer by scraping together some points.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

DrunkPanda posted:

But if 2 teams fight each other and 1 guy is left standing with 1 hp and you 3rd party and hit him with 1 bullet and kill him, you DID do the work at that point? How are you any more "deserving" of the KP in that situation?

In both cases you were just in the right place at the right time, either award the KP in both situations or change it so that no one gets any KP unless their team does 100% of the damage on an enemy (if another enemy team does a single point of damage on the target, then your team didn't "deserve" the KP).

Ideally I would say if a guy is knocked and the guy who knocked him gets killed, he should still get credit if the knocked guy gets eliminated before getting revived. But I also find it reasonable if a third party gets credit for finishing off the knocked guy, because they directly contributed to weakening the knocked guy's team by doing so. But not giving ANYONE KP in that situation is lame

I'm not saying their fix is the best choice, I think there should be a paltry RP bonus for whoever kills a knocked opponent.

Ideally, a complex point system would take into account who did what damage to a player in the past x seconds and divide the RP that way.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

DrunkPanda posted:

Overall they seem good, or at least headed in a good direction, even if I’m a bit concerned about some specifics.

Demotions seems like a pretty key addition which seems pretty good. Same with adding some points for team KP and changes to assist timers So does making bronze a real division- it seems like they are generally moving the distribution downwards. It would be nice to generally even out skill levels a bit/make your ranked placement reflect them more with the tiered entry fees. It does seem like it’s sticking with the “more time spent playing = more RP” in some ways, but probably alleviates it and it’s no longer “plat 3 players = basically diamond 4 players with less time on their hands”.

In theory the rebalance of KP rewards seems like it has a good goal, but it seems like in practice it’ll also make ranked rewards basically negative RP for the vast majority of games with the occasional huge boost on a win. This doesn’t seem like it will feel awesome. I did feel like hot dropping etc wasn’t too bad before on non KC maps 🤷🏻‍♂️

I also feel like it potentially incentivizes ratting too much. It’s not very fun to be the last alive just hiding in a corner, or to just watch your teammate do that, but it looks like that will be even more helpful than before. If I played at a level where that wasn’t as doable maybe it would be different, but it’s generally fairly straightforward to rat into at least the top half/maybe top 5. Yeah, you can still choose not to, but it seems problematic to have the ranked incentives encourage playing in a less fun way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played in a while, how's the new guy looking in terms of use and fun?

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

repiv posted:

that's exactly what they did with the new system, there's soft derank protection now where you get 3 games to redeem yourself after hitting the bottom of your rank before you actually get demoted

That is good to know, I wasn't aware they had a plan to implement that.

Its less about "i want to always be promoted regardless of how well or poorly I do" and more about "I don't want to be punished disproportionately regardless of how well or poorly I do".

Other posts mentioning more time = more RP does seem to match my anecdotal experience. I can hang with diamond players in a shoot out no problem, especially if I'm with a team of buddies working together. The issue is more the diamonds tend to always have buddies so they will not have as many boneheaded plays. But mechanically, I feel like a lot of plat players are right there.

Masters and stuff though and some diamonds, yeah, they are just monsters that are ridiculous.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Javik the Seer posted:

You put a pro NFL quarterback on a bad division 2 college team and it doesn't matter how good he is, he aint winning many games. Then to ask that same QB to work his way back into the NFL on division 2 college teams only is a losing proposition, he has to outperform everyone whereas others who didn't fall that low don't have to.

This isn't how it works. The teams are smaller, so your contribution is much bigger. I shot my way to diamond in a couple of afternoons playing solo and while i'd never do it again I don't think lovely teammates was a reason for it taking longer than expected, more other people are stacking and yeah, I don't expect to be able to compete with stacks. I'm not timmy, after all.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cowslips Warren posted:

a better lifeline, but a worse gibby

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate him. I don't know what the recent obsession is with putting shields in FPS games, but I really wish game developers would stop doing that poo poo....

But most of the new heroes they add to the game just make the game worse, imo. I don't like how Valkyrie has a "get out of jail free" ult to completely negate her team's bad positioning in the zone. I don't like Seer because I don't think map hacks should be in an FPS game, either. I don't like Maggie because she's just boring, same with Fuse. I don't like Gibrifeline because shields in FPS games suck.

The weird thing is that I love playing Loba & Ash, while most people think they are garbage heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

I hate him. I don't know what the recent obsession is with putting shields in FPS games, but I really wish game developers would stop doing that poo poo....

But most of the new heroes they add to the game just make the game worse, imo. I don't like how Valkyrie has a "get out of jail free" ult to completely negate her team's bad positioning in the zone. I don't like Seer because I don't think map hacks should be in an FPS game, either. I don't like Maggie because she's just boring, same with Fuse. I don't like Gibrifeline because shields in FPS games suck.

The weird thing is that I love playing Loba & Ash, while most people think they are garbage heroes

Where does this idea that Ash is considered bad come from? Someone said the same thing in the Discord the other day. Her kit is very good and pros regularly play as her in ranked. There are people playing as her in the LCQ Finals right at this moment.