Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there's the first party implementation on both systems, and that tends to be the most feature rich. but because freesync was a cheaper standard, it outperformed gsync in the low end and mid tier markets to the point that Nvidia eventually caved and enabled "gsync compatible", which can have some weird caveats (only works over display port sometimes?) but does 95% of the VRR part even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

phillips is launching a new 27-inch 4k OLED targeted at some flavour of pro users: the momentum 8000 27E1N890, guessed to be ~ $1000

quote:

Theoretically, the Momentum 8000 27E1N8900 has a 1,000,000: contrast ratio, while Philips boasts of 99.7% minimum DCI-P3 colour space coverage. Typically, the monitor should deliver 99.6% AdobeRGB, 119% NTSC and 150% sRGB coverages though, along with <1 Delta E deviations. Also, the Momentum 8000 27E1N8900 is DisplayHDR True Black 400 certified and has 0.1 ms G2G response times.

As such, the monitor peaks at over 400 cd/m², but only when viewing HDR content. Specifically, Philips claims that the Momentum 8000 27E1N8900 offers up to 540 cd/m² of peak brightness and just 250 cd/m² in SDR content. Separately, Philips has included the following ports, which are all on the monitor's rear:

2x HDMI 2.0
1x DisplayPort 1.4
1x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-C (Upstream, Power Delivery up to 90 W)
1x USB Type-B
4x USB 3.2 Type-A (downstream with 2 fast charge B.C 1.2)

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone have experience with small touchscreen monitors? I'm looking for something that I can mount to a drum rack to control a connected PC. It doesn't need to be super responsive or have great resolution or anything, just something that will let me launch software and change settings without getting up from the drums.

e: if there is a way to use an old Fire tablet or similar that isn't super janky I'd be open to that too

there's a couple of them that are geared toward using with rpis, i'd check there.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anyone have ideas on when the M34WQ might get back in stock… anywhere again? Having a balance between a built in KVM, more inputs, and G Sync support is worth upgrading for my purposes.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
OK, this is clearer and easier to understand than any number of feckin' articles I've read on the topic. That's one issue dealt with. So I guess the Samsung G9 is a significant upgrade over the CRG9 if only for the GSync Compatibility vs. FreeSync, given that I have an RTX 3080.

Still, I wish I knew a store around here with some curved ultrawide at 1000R and 1800R for side-by-side comparison. I really need to see how aggressive the curvature is and how it looks at ~36-44" viewing distances. I feel like dual 32" monitors is probably more versatile and cheaper compared to the super-ultrawide too, but with PBP the idea of a seamless 49" inch is alluring.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mediaphage posted:

phillips is launching a new 27-inch 4k OLED targeted at some flavour of pro users: the momentum 8000 27E1N890, guessed to be ~ $1000

there's a couple of them that are geared toward using with rpis, i'd check there.

Most likely that Philips monitor is using the same kind of inkjet-printed panel from JOLED that LG uses for their OLED professional monitors. Though those LG monitors are around $3000, so I don't know if I'd expect this Philips monitor to be much cheaper if it's being marketed to the same segment.

At 60Hz and peak brightness that low, I'd expect the HDR and gaming experiences to not be as good as the AW3423DW, but if it's cheaper, then maybe it can be a good "value" option? And it should have RGB stripe subpixels.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Most likely that Philips monitor is using the same kind of inkjet-printed panel from JOLED that LG uses for their OLED professional monitors. Though those LG monitors are around $3000, so I don't know if I'd expect this Philips monitor to be much cheaper if it's being marketed to the same segment.

At 60Hz and peak brightness that low, I'd expect the HDR and gaming experiences to not be as good as the AW3423DW, but if it's cheaper, then maybe it can be a good "value" option? And it should have RGB stripe subpixels.

found a product listing for it: https://www.philips.com.ph/c-p/27E1N8900_27/monitor-4k-oled-monitor

tft central is saying it'll have a list price of 7k yuan which is usd1000-1100 depending. i'm assuming they got that msrp from philips, but i don't actually know

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

PoizenJam posted:

OK, this is clearer and easier to understand than any number of feckin' articles I've read on the topic. That's one issue dealt with. So I guess the Samsung G9 is a significant upgrade over the CRG9 if only for the GSync Compatibility vs. FreeSync, given that I have an RTX 3080.

Still, I wish I knew a store around here with some curved ultrawide at 1000R and 1800R for side-by-side comparison. I really need to see how aggressive the curvature is and how it looks at ~36-44" viewing distances. I feel like dual 32" monitors is probably more versatile and cheaper compared to the super-ultrawide too, but with PBP the idea of a seamless 49" inch is alluring.

I've been using my g9 for pbp stuff recently and it's nice. I sit probably 2-3 ft from the thing at any given time and maybe I'm just used to the curve at this point but I don't really notice much distortion from farther away. If I'm doing cad or illustrator or something I just park the window dead center but I think you might be overthinking it a bit. I'd rather the more curve than have to turn in my chair/head to see the extreme edges of the screen on the less curved version. Dunno if that helps

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PoizenJam posted:

this all happened a few years ago now so my honest expectation is that pretty much any freesync monitor will be "gsync-compatible", to contrast gsync requires additional hardware, a little logicboard or whatever somewhere in the monitor, so there always be a non-trivial associated cost with supporting it. i went with a gsync compatible for my 3070 and honestly i've never noticed, VRR works great at the full advertised range, but i'm also not really aware of what i'm missing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's barely any difference between GSync and a decent Freesync implementation at this point, on the monitors most people are actually buying

GSyncs niche is in monitors that push the limits of LCD tech (e.g. 360hz IPS) as it supposedly has more axis to fine-tune the panel than other controllers do, so you tend to see those memey esports monitors initially ship only with GSync and take some time for Freesync equivalents to come out

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Food Boner posted:

I've been using my g9 for pbp stuff recently and it's nice. I sit probably 2-3 ft from the thing at any given time and maybe I'm just used to the curve at this point but I don't really notice much distortion from farther away. If I'm doing cad or illustrator or something I just park the window dead center but I think you might be overthinking it a bit. I'd rather the more curve than have to turn in my chair/head to see the extreme edges of the screen on the less curved version. Dunno if that helps

That does help, but overthinking? My assumption was that sitting beyond the curvature radius (i.e. beyond 1800mm for 1800r or 1000mm for 1000r) would make the display appear to bubble/distort. If it's not terribly noticeable, it increases my options. If I wait for the right sale, the Neo G9 and G9 are the same price on sale in Canada, about $500 more than the CRG9.

I keep thinking I get more screen space if I just go 2x32" 1440p at my viewing distance... But the allure and cleanliness of a single super ultra wide is strong. I've always hated the seam- and spend way too much time trying to perfectly position my monitors next to one another (which... Never happens. One is always too high, too low, too left, too right).

In any case, I decided to do a mockup in Sketchup (Both are 1800R, not the 1000R of the G9 as I couldn't find a model or stand-in). It also explains my long viewing distance- the monitor shelf is set back and above the main desk surface, which is ~18-20" deep.

Dual 32in

Super Ultra Wide

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 2, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sometimes I go beyond the curve on my 1800R ultrawide, and it's not really a problem but maybe sometimes noticeable. 1000R is nutty and IDK if I'd want to be sitting 2-3m away from that, especially on 49" monitor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of Freesync, VESA finally got around to making a certification for Adaptive Sync performance

https://videocardz.com/press-release/vesa-announces-adaptivesync-open-performance-standard-for-gaming-display-variable-refresh-rate

Hard to say how stringent these requirements are though, the gsync certification requirements aren't public for comparison

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like the "MediaSync" rating, hopefully having a checkbox comparison item for marketing to list will make adaptive sync more popular outside of the gamer realm.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wasn't even aware that VESA even had their own adaptive sync standard. I guess it's like the Ur Standard that all the others were derived from?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Freesync (over Displayport) is just a rebranding of VESA Adaptive Sync

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Rolled the dice on this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MVN2CBY

and this vesa mount should hopefully work to clamp it to my rack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6MZHT5

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Can anyone recommend a dual monitor mount that supports stacking the monitors vertically and also has one of those clamps that can bolt through a hole in the desk, rather than a U that goes around the back edge?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

PoizenJam posted:

That does help, but overthinking? My assumption was that sitting beyond the curvature radius (i.e. beyond 1800mm for 1800r or 1000mm for 1000r) would make the display appear to bubble/distort. If it's not terribly noticeable, it increases my options. If I wait for the right sale, the Neo G9 and G9 are the same price on sale in Canada, about $500 more than the CRG9.

I keep thinking I get more screen space if I just go 2x32" 1440p at my viewing distance... But the allure and cleanliness of a single super ultra wide is strong. I've always hated the seam- and spend way too much time trying to perfectly position my monitors next to one another (which... Never happens. One is always too high, too low, too left, too right).

In any case, I decided to do a mockup in Sketchup (Both are 1800R, not the 1000R of the G9 as I couldn't find a model or stand-in). It also explains my long viewing distance- the monitor shelf is set back and above the main desk surface, which is ~18-20" deep.

Dual 32in

Super Ultra Wide

At that height set back like that then yeah 1000R is unnecessary and probably detrimental to your workflow. I think the main use case for the g9 is sitting at 1 m so you're at the center of the circle. Also depending on the depth of that back shelf the g9 with stand might not even fit lol. I've got mine wall mounted

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Food Boner posted:

At that height set back like that then yeah 1000R is unnecessary and probably detrimental to your workflow. I think the main use case for the g9 is sitting at 1 m so you're at the center of the circle. Also depending on the depth of that back shelf the g9 with stand might not even fit lol. I've got mine wall mounted

That’s exactly how far back I’m seated (~.9-1.1m, or 36-44”), I just wasn’t sure if the fact I sometimes will be viewing from a little over 1m (~39.5”) would be a problem.

I was thankfully able to find a store with a G9 in stock and on display though. It definitely looked fine up to at least 1.2m (48”) before it started looking noticeably bubbly/distorted. For 1800R curvature monitors I couldn’t really even stand far back enough for it to be noticeable. In either case monitor shelf is 12 inches deep but I may mount it on an arm if I can find one to support the weight.

The G9 and Neo G9 are about the same price when on sale, so I’ll probably wait for the latter to go on sale before I pull the trigger, or settle on the cheaper CRG9.

Thanks for the input goons.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 2, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Rolled the dice on this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MVN2CBY

and this vesa mount should hopefully work to clamp it to my rack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6MZHT5

blows my mind how cheap that shits gotten

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Unsinkabear posted:

Can anyone recommend a dual monitor mount that supports stacking the monitors vertically and also has one of those clamps that can bolt through a hole in the desk, rather than a U that goes around the back edge?

Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm (Tall Pole)
https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/45-509#?color=white

It's modular design allows you to do all sorts of things.
Expensive. Maybe there is an Amazon branded equivalent.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why no one makes 4K curved VA monitors? I have a 32" 1440p curved VA monitor and it is perfect except for the resolution. With DLSS I'm ready to plunge to 4K gaming. Someone make a good monitor with good contrast, please. At least one. Pretty please. VA has good contrast and good viewing angles if it is curved. Curve is kind of required for VA, unless you sit far away.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Samsung is coming out with two Odyssey Neo G8 monitors this summer. Both 4k 32", one 165hz and the other 240hz. I'm definitely interested in the 240hz version, but I wouldn't rush to buy because QA/QC on the Odyssey line has been absolute garbage. I'd much rather have a flat IPS but it doesn't seem like anyone is doing a 32" 4k 240hz IPS panel any time soon, so I might be willing to live with the lovely curve.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I like the contrast so much. 3000-4000:1 is so much better than the 800-1000:1 on IPS monitors. Everything from photography to games looks so much more impressive with some kind of reasonable contrast. I know I could buy a 42" G2 but I don't like the fluctuating brightness which depends on the content shown, and duration. I'd prefer constant brightness monitors instead. In movies and TV shows the fluctuations aren't too bad.

A pity those monitors are made by Samsung. Sad but true how much garbage can a single company push out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Why no one makes 4K curved VA monitors? I have a 32" 1440p curved VA monitor and it is perfect except for the resolution. With DLSS I'm ready to plunge to 4K gaming. Someone make a good monitor with good contrast, please. At least one. Pretty please. VA has good contrast and good viewing angles if it is curved. Curve is kind of required for VA, unless you sit far away.

if you find one in stock, there's the msi optix mag321curv. only 60hz tho

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm trying to decide between the HP X27Q and the Gigabyte M27Q. The KVM is really appealing but I don't know if it's $70 more appealing. It seems like otherwise the display quality is similar enough that I'm not sure if I would notice. Am I going to regret either of these if I tend to use them more for work than gaming?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The M27Q has BGR subpixels, which for some parts of some apps that use their own subpixel text antialiasing rather than cleartype will cause some minor text fringing. Other than that I would say it's a better monitor. For the money I'd probably buy the HP.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

K8.0 posted:

The M27Q has BGR subpixels, which for some parts of some apps that use their own subpixel text antialiasing rather than cleartype will cause some minor text fringing. Other than that I would say it's a better monitor. For the money I'd probably buy the HP.

Thanks for that. It seems like the text issue is significant. Anything else I could consider comparable to the M27Q around the same price? I tend to hold onto my monitors for quite a while so I'm not super price constrained but if everything better than the HP is just on the margins I'll probably go with that.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Thanks for that. It seems like the text issue is significant. Anything else I could consider comparable to the M27Q around the same price? I tend to hold onto my monitors for quite a while so I'm not super price constrained but if everything better than the HP is just on the margins I'll probably go with that.

Re: it being significant, I'm reading this on an M27Q right now and the text looks great. I don't have an RGB equivalent to compare it to side by side, but even in Discord (the only non-cleartype-respecting program I use, there aren't a ton) the text still looks better on the M27Q than on my 1080p side screen. Unless you're already coming from a 1440p screen and you frequently use programs that you know don't respect cleartype, it's probably not going to make much of a difference. Only you can decide what you prioritize more, but don't overweight that vs the things the display does better imo

E: also I think Chrome is one of the problem programs, but no one should use that anyway :argh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So after a power outage, it seems my LG 27GL83A won't turn on. Any troubleshooting I can do? If not, is this still a good monitor for 1440p 144hz gaming today? I have a 3080 and like the gsync tech and otherwise never had any issues with it or wanted for more. But if there's something better for the price, etc., I'm all ears.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

any suggestions for a good budget-ish 1440p 27" monitor with over 90hz?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

So after a power outage, it seems my LG 27GL83A won't turn on. Any troubleshooting I can do? If not, is this still a good monitor for 1440p 144hz gaming today? I have a 3080 and like the gsync tech and otherwise never had any issues with it or wanted for more. But if there's something better for the price, etc., I'm all ears.

It's not an old monitor. Contact LG. That aside, try unplugging it for maybe 12 hours to see if something resets. If you have a multimeter, try probing the output of the power brick to see if it's still working. That would be the easiest, cheapest point of failure to deal with.

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't been closely tracking things lately, but the HP X27Q does seem to be a pretty good deal right now. I'd look to see if other people have any suggestions, though, because I'm not 100% up to date on current bargains.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

any suggestions for a good budget-ish 1440p 27" monitor with over 90hz?

I think K8.0 meant to respond to you instead of the other poster, but the HP X27q is the current value pick at $250 usually (sometimes lower): https://www.amazon.com/HP-27-inch-Adjustment-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B0949KL83T

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to say for the M32U, I’ve been using an external usb hub for my four devices and it’s working flawlessly now. Highly recommend the change for anyone frustrated with it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ultimate Mango posted:

That is rad as gently caress. I want pics. Here I thought I was baller with a work machine and a home machine with some new glass but now I have display envy.

Sorry for the delay, here you go

E: M32U, AW3418DW 4k 144hz, 1440p Ultrawide 120hz, M32U 4k 144hz

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Got my Alienware QD-OLED and I’m trying to understand how HDR works on Windows - does the content eg games, videos have to explicitly support HDR for it to kick in?

Anyone else with the monitor have tips on config both at the Win 10 level and the monitor level?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

You turn it on in the Windows display settings and games that support it will have their own HDR settings inside the application for brightness and contrast.

With Windows 11 and AutoHDR it will apply a basic profile to non-supported games which works pretty well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some monitors also require you to manually enter into an HDR mode, otherwise it will look wrong. The AW3423DW has two, with the True Black 400 one having a lower peak brightness so you can have a less aggressive automatic brightness limiter.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Initial impressions on the Alienware QD-OLED -
1. HDR - I tried Cyberpunk and a couple HDR YouTube videos - it's very nice but for whatever reason isn't as "eye-popping" as my LG OLED C2
2. Curvature - A lot less aggressive than most curved monitors which I like
3. Text fringing - I personally can't see it
4. 34" UW resolution - Not specific to this monitor but it's noticeably lower res than the 27" 1440P I'm used to
5. Stand - I guess it's a requirement given the size of the monitor but it takes too much space - I'll need to get a mount for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's the exact same pixel density as 27" 1440p, though. It's just that, but wider.