Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this rainbow was odd because there was tons of mist and the sun was still behind the mountains so idk there was almost no colour in it, in real life it just looked grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

behind the scenes lol of making this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sick album cover

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i have lots of cameras. primarily i use a sony a7iii, but i don't have nearly as many lenses available and it's a bummer

i also have a bunch of MFT cameras and lenses, although i guess you can't really count other lens systems + adapters. most recently i got the panasonic g100 because, well, look how goddamn adorable it is. other than that i mostly use a panasonic g85, have for years and would buy again 5+, but i also have an olympus (rip) om-d em-10 and a couple other older panasonic models that are medicore.

at even smaller than the g100 i have a pentax q7 + wharever lenses from the q system i've been able to find over the years. i love this thing and don't give a poo poo if the sensor is the size of my fingernail. it owns and i will not see it besmirched

let's see what samples i can find quick,

sony (oh come on we all know what these look like):

panafonics:

g85

g100 + macro tubes

i dont really feel like digging for the others rn i will later i guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
pentax q7

om-d em-10

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 7, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice pics, cute min pin, A+

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate lol there is so much excellent stuff there. haven’t seen you around for a while hope you’re doing ok dude

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

mate lol there is so much excellent stuff there. haven’t seen you around for a while hope you’re doing ok dude

yo!!! i'm doing alright man, just popping in after one hell of a week for us all. how's by you and the missus? doing ok in the kiwi fortress?

also thanks everyone you're too generous i do sometimes get paid for this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wife dragged me all the way to montauk after watching "the lighthouse" (which loving owns btw, highly recommended. even if you think robert pattinson sucks it has willem dafoe

ok let's go (g85, various manual lenses)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nice, fog is fun to shoot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is great dude

yeah fog rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sunrise this morning

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

sunrise this morning

lol what is happening here

anyway macro tubes are fun, i got these little keychain olympus things when i met with a rep at a gallery and told them i used a lovely om-d em-10 instead of their higher end kit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

lol what is happening here

it's a chimney pumping out steam, and behind it are clouds struck by the sunrise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

anyway macro tubes are fun

never used a tube, but I was shooting with a 100mm macro lens and man that thing was so nice for such a wide range of applications, and did my first real-person shoot with it and got so many great shots and so holds a very special place in my heartbeat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

never used a tube, but I was shooting with a 100mm macro lens and man that thing was so nice for such a wide range of applications, and did my first real-person shoot with it and got so many great shots and so holds a very special place in my heartbeat

yeah i don't own any legit macro lenses because that's not really my wheelhouse and they're super expensive for something to just gently caress around with

tubes were a good solution because i have at least 30 MFT lenses lol

it owns when you can just pick up some vintage lens or some cheap chinese thing and attach it to a decent cam

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

for example a c-mount security camera lens makes for some interesting optical effects:

they usually stop real high too which is cool

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
anyone get a good eclipse / blood moon pic?

i didn’t find my tripod in time to make it out somewhere good to shoot so these are from my balcony, lotta random light and the building sways a bit being on the 28th floor.

fijifilm X-T4 with 400mm lens:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick af that’s a great shot

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm going out to Texas and I'm thinking of stopping at Carlsbad Caverns on the way.

Someone recommend me a kit to rent from lensway. Body and lenses!

I need something good for ultra-low-light and also for taking some glamor shots of my new niece.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
new sony is prolly best for low light and well when it comes to portrait get a sigma 85mm or longer

i’m sure others here will have better experience and information to recommend with tho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

can confirm sonys are amazing in low light/high iso situations. it's basically the only use case for not using my MFT kit most of the time because the sony is literally twice as big/heavy.

e: you also don't particularly need 85mm for a portrait, something like 50mm is serviceable and if you're shooting other poo poo also, you don't need to be like a mile away. if you're bringing multiple lenses it makes sense though

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 16, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extreme MY OPINION here:

the shorter your lens the more careful you need to be with portrait IMO

and my basic thoughts on it are that the shorter the lens, the more it ends up looking like an ordinary phone-camera photo, and if you want your portrait stuff to stand out, longer is better. just my opinions

tbh I am often really suprised when people take good photos with a 35mm. probably because I can't for the life of me

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 17, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, i own everything from 12mm to 400mm and i've never particularly had a problem shooting portraits with even 25mm. it depends on the lens and what kind of look you're going for: most of my shorter lenses stop up to f/1.1 with a 25mm f/0.8 being the shallowest. if you're okay with getting all up in someone's face with it, it's fine.

25mm example:

35mm:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know that it’s possible because other people do it and even get good results

it’s just that I can’t.

maybe it’s because I will be shooting 135mm at the same time so when I compare the photos later, the shorter ones always look awful and awkward, but perhaps that’s because they’re back to back with longer lens shots of the same model/situation

I hired a 35mm to try to force myself to get good with a shorter lens for portrait but just never liked the photos

*maybe* if I went out with only a short lens I could make it work if I didn’t have that comparison.. but .. idk why I would, I love the shots from the 135 so much lol. maybe if I was indoors

I really wanted to do something different here and make it feel like it was cold in this shoot, which I think I did, but this is so distinctly a longer lens and as I said to my photographer friend, my style is literally “long lens and scared of flash” 😂

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
next shoot I am trying to line is up something like stereotypical 70s roller girl look. the (amateur) model is super on board with the look but this time I really wanna dial in the look and not wing it like I normally do, actually plan out the shoot and the poses etc. in the past I’ve just winged it and it comes out OK but I really wanna impress and show that I can execute a concept. slowly but surely build up a reputation for good work.

some people ride jetskis or play board games as a hobby.. I like to meet people and take photos. it’s good fun

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

I like to meet people

this is some twisted poo poo, i gotta say

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I know that it’s possible because other people do it and even get good results

it’s just that I can’t.

maybe it’s because I will be shooting 135mm at the same time so when I compare the photos later, the shorter ones always look awful and awkward, but perhaps that’s because they’re back to back with longer lens shots of the same model/situation

I hired a 35mm to try to force myself to get good with a shorter lens for portrait but just never liked the photos

*maybe* if I went out with only a short lens I could make it work if I didn’t have that comparison.. but .. idk why I would, I love the shots from the 135 so much lol. maybe if I was indoors

I really wanted to do something different here and make it feel like it was cold in this shoot, which I think I did, but this is so distinctly a longer lens and as I said to my photographer friend, my style is literally “long lens and scared of flash” 😂

that's actually pretty good man

i think you just need to experiment more. honestly when i was just starting out longer lenses were sort of a crutch; these days i usually use primes that are mostly in the 12-50mm range. then again i kinda pivoted to doing architecture instead of portraits, but still

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

here's some poo poo from testing out a $40 chinese 50mm prime i picked up on amazon

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

here have another bonus 35mm portrait

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beeftweeter posted:

here's some poo poo from testing out a $40 chinese 50mm prime i picked up on amazon

Looks good!

my problem with the last cheap lens I picked up was severe Chromatic Aberration at the edges of bright-white, and then I got my cheap Canon f1.8 50mm lens and never took it off.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hmmm

yeah lol I know it's possible

but again.. I love the long lens so much. I think a lot of it goes back to the kinds of images I like to see others shoot and enjoy an etc,

maybe one day I'll start to feel like this longer lens is a crutch but for now it just gives me so much joy lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

Looks good!

my problem with the last cheap lens I picked up was severe Chromatic Aberration at the edges of bright-white, and then I got my cheap Canon f1.8 50mm lens and never took it off.

yeah, true (thanks also). that's why i basically exclusively tested it on lights lol

it's for MFT but i think they make models for other mirrorless too. the brand is "kamlan". it's a surprisingly heavy, good lens

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

hmmm

yeah lol I know it's possible

but again.. I love the long lens so much. I think a lot of it goes back to the kinds of images I like to see others shoot and enjoy an etc,

maybe one day I'll start to feel like this longer lens is a crutch but for now it just gives me so much joy lol

yeah man, to each their own, you know? some people like certain looks, others hate it. if you're doing pro work it's just part of the job. it's just that every time i see a photo blog or something saying "you must use 85mm for portraits", i'm like :hmmno:

85mm content to make echi happy (lol):

(yeah i should have used a diffuser but i like it)
(color is natural! sunset.)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely excellent poo poo my friend

I suppose if you ran an experiment, and during the same shot both long and short, and then afterward while going thru everything, if you consistently preferred one over the other, what would be the takeaway?

anyway I have taken a photo with a 50mm that I like:

but lol I think it’s because I literally couldn’t stand above her and take that photo with a longer lens. every other shot from that shoot with the 50mm was awkward, and then rest I took with a 100mm macro and came out great

135mm goodness :

I actually really like a lot of the shots I take, well, I mean the shots that I like I really like. you don’t get much validation though these days, there’s so many good photographers out there, and I struggle a bit to generate my own self confidence. it’s easy to think that you’re too close to the trees to tell that your forest sucks or not, and so doubt yourself unless you get external validation. I try to get over that

another (amateur) model is on board with wanting to do a shoot. i’m sure my city isn’t unique in this way, but it amazes me how many people are keen to get involved. especially if I can kinda carve out a bit of a reputation for being not too poo poo

as always appreciate your input beefreind

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

extremely excellent poo poo my friend

I suppose if you ran an experiment, and during the same shot both long and short, and then afterward while going thru everything, if you consistently preferred one over the other, what would be the takeaway?

anyway I have taken a photo with a 50mm that I like:

but lol I think it’s because I literally couldn’t stand above her and take that photo with a longer lens. every other shot from that shoot with the 50mm was awkward, and then rest I took with a 100mm macro and came out great

135mm goodness :

I actually really like a lot of the shots I take, well, I mean the shots that I like I really like. you don’t get much validation though these days, there’s so many good photographers out there, and I struggle a bit to generate my own self confidence. it’s easy to think that you’re too close to the trees to tell that your forest sucks or not, and so doubt yourself unless you get external validation. I try to get over that

another (amateur) model is on board with wanting to do a shoot. i’m sure my city isn’t unique in this way, but it amazes me how many people are keen to get involved. especially if I can kinda carve out a bit of a reputation for being not too poo poo

as always appreciate your input beefreind

those are seriously great dude, good work. i feel like you could get the same result with a shorter lens, though. to answer your other question:

same scene, 35mm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also re: not getting validation

yeah, it sucks when nobody is like "hey that's great!" but if you keep getting work, there it is, lol. i was seriously sweating bullets the first time my poo poo popped up in a gallery but the response was overwhelmingly positive. now i get to say i've been featured in galleries internationally lol

i still have a confidence problem though, i think pretty much everyone that's not a narcissist does. if you just throw up your hands and not give much of a poo poo what other people think (as illogical as that sounds when displaying your work), it fades away.

keep at it man, you're doing great work.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

and to fully answer your question, lol, i carry a variety of lenses with me all the time; a normal shoot for me nets about 1,500 photos on average. i already posted this but,

85mm:

50mm:

here's another,

85mm:

25mm:

it really, really depends on what you're going for. don't be afraid to experiment! if you're just shooting models, then yeah, that's tough. but you could always shoot, idk, nature:

(25mm)

and don't be afraid to post things. don't worry, i'll tell you if it's bad and how to improve :shobon:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Guys, I've been loving around on the Lensrental site and I just can't decide on anything.