Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

post hole digger posted:

i would also love a mbp the same shade of green as the iphone 11 pro was.

yeah it's a great colour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nurrwick posted:

this thing's a 1080 panel with built-in webcam, speakerphone, and network adapter. reviews allege the panel is a horrible hunk of poo poo, but we wouldn't recommend this to art historians or film studies people anyway. sitting side by side next to my u2713h, 75% brightness and contrast compared to the ultrasharp's 50% b&c, it's fine. yeah it's perceivably dimmer but for the sorts of work i do professionally, we're firmly in the 'who cares' category. it's less of a difference than looking at the same jpeg in an edge window vs the google chat chrome app that runs in an edge instance. it's well worth the money for what it does.

personally would stick with ultrasharps though because i am a king poo poo baby that loves being able to do work i'm not supposed to do, which includes occasional video work, and the 27" qhd form factor works great for me. my boss and one of my employees both keep trying to get me on the ultrawide train but i'll probably hang with this resolution for as long as someone will sell it to me.

at home though i'm on some kind of wuxga dell display from a few years back and I love it and won't give it up until it dies. pretty sure it's an ultrasharp i got from micro center as an open-box. works great for my photo editing needs.

doesn't usb 4 include thunderbolt now? if it does, usb4 can be effectively thought of as an extension of tb3's capability, right? who would know or could tell???

real talk though: we've had a lot of dogshit USB-C docking solutions show up on our doorsteps, and I think the main issue is that they are built to a lower price and therefore suck profoundly, but also because the displayport chip options apparently don't all play nicely together with usb-c controllers in computers, especially in macs (or at least in intel macs, we haven't had many people try to approach us for support on m1 machines with external docking solutions). the old dell thunderbolt docks universally sucked poo poo on macs and pretty broadly sucked poo poo on windows machines, but the wd19tb/tbs both appear to have been stable for us on all recent stuff.

but moving forward, since we know an M1 mac will run fine off this display, it seems like at least we have a go-to recommendable for people getting work done on a docked machine. the displayport link works fine, the usb hub works fine, the rj45 works fine, the speakers kind of suck but will serve fine as a videoconferencing speakerphone, which is all i have to care about for most people.

this is a massive improvement over all the stupid piece of poo poo UXGOO and FLIBPBORQ $35 usb-c dongles people buy from amazon, so it is what we will spend money on here.

it was kind of a trick question. iirc they are indeed one and the same, but thunderbolt 4 requires usb 4 — usb 4 is compatible with (at least, again iirc) and is literally the same as thunderbolt 3

e: you know what holy poo poo gently caress intel, why is there usb 3, 3.1, 3.2 and 4

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 6, 2022

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah im sick of boring colors please make computers fun looking and not in the esports slap 70 leds on them.

i really wanted a purple pro 13 max but i had to compromise with (regular) gold which at least is a step up from black

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

it was kind of a trick question. iirc they are indeed one and the same, but thunderbolt 4 requires usb 4 — usb 4 is compatible with (and again iirc) is literally the same as thunderbolt 3

e: you know what holy poo poo gently caress intel, why is there usb 3, 3.1, 3.2 and 4

this isn't your fault but

wow i hate the first half of this post, god drat.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

wikipedia usb4 article posted:

The USB4 specification is based on the Thunderbolt 3 protocol specification. Support of interoperability with Thunderbolt 3 products is optional for USB4 hosts and USB4 peripheral devices, and is required for USB4 hubs on their downward facing ports and for USB4-based docks on their downward and upward facing ports. On the other hand, support for USB4 is required in Thunderbolt 4.

this is so incredibly stupid

i can totally see why apple only ever marketed its usb-c ports as thunderbolt 3 and stayed completely out of usb compability bullshit, because even on a unified connector and electrical standard, we still have this garbage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my tb2 (mini dp shape plug) -> 3 (usbc shape) dongle doesnt pass mini displayport video. thats win. have to order some off brand poo poo to bring back the cinema display. gently caress you tim

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nurrwick posted:

this is so incredibly stupid

i can totally see why apple only ever marketed its usb-c ports as thunderbolt 3 and stayed completely out of usb compability bullshit, because even on a unified connector and electrical standard, we still have this garbage.

lol i was skimming that too

kinda weird widespread adoption of intel's USB came with the imac, now in some cases apple's thunderbolt, intel's light peak and usb are the same thing,

yet

somehow

not

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Smythe posted:

my tb2 (mini dp shape plug) -> 3 (usbc shape) dongle doesnt pass mini displayport video. thats win. have to order some off brand poo poo to bring back the cinema display. gently caress you tim

tim has been making bad choices lately. ios is getting worse, but at least that seems about where it should be

macos' ui feels all swole and i have no interest in it as a general computing platform anymore. as an ex-apple that's... depressing, because nextstep et. al. were really neat

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i was skimming that too

kinda weird widespread adoption of intel's USB came with the imac, now in some cases apple's thunderbolt, intel's light peak and usb are the same thing,

yet

somehow

not

All the conspiracies about the existence of secret societies who control the world and constantly war with one another are true. But it's just different groups of hardware spec neckbeards making life hell for one another.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

its actually good imo. I am fuckin tired as poo poo of silver and shades of grey.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Apple 14 should come in various tartans imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the red sarnsang is rad looking i am sorry to say

i want some ceramic laptops with 60s styling cues tia. or at least some rad powder coating or for once.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"I'd like to buy a Macbook Air in crimson damask please" i will say to someone in 2025

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

get some upholstery on this poo poo ffs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

get some upholstery on this poo poo ffs

shagbook pro

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
the graphical effects for things like mission control and swiping between desktops actually seem a litlte choppy/slow on my wifes base model m1 mba, its kind of surprising

it came with macos 11 i think? on 12.3.1 now of course

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The new Macbook Corduroy. We think you'll love it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

All the conspiracies about the existence of secret societies who control the world and constantly war with one another are true. But it's just different groups of hardware spec neckbeards making life hell for one another.

my god, it's full of star topologies

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nurrwick posted:

we're firmly in the 'who cares' category. it's less of a difference than looking at the same jpeg in an edge window vs the google chat chrome app that runs in an edge instance. it's well worth the money for what it does.

yes

nurrwick posted:

personally would stick with ultrasharps though because i am a king poo poo baby that loves being able to do work i'm not supposed to do, which includes occasional video work, and the 27" qhd form factor works great for me. my boss and one of my employees both keep trying to get me on the ultrawide train but i'll probably hang with this resolution for as long as someone will sell it to me.

27 is too big, 24 wuxga 5ever. previously had a 2005 dell wuxga until it fried itself after 16 years (i had it for maybe 7). i dont need qhd bullshit

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

graph posted:

27 is too big, 24 wuxga 5ever. previously had a 2005 dell wuxga until it fried itself after 16 years (i had it for maybe 7). i dont need qhd bullshit

i’m that rarest of beasts: someone who actually needs side by side spreadsheets/req forms/po sheets/order pages simultaneously, and being able to have two clearly legible letter-sized content spaces side by side is perfect for me

i also use windows’s’ses window snap feature extensively and will be crushed when they kill it after claiming low usage.

but at home, 24” is The One Correct Size for me, and i have been happy with 1920x1200.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i want an electric blue macbook air please

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nurrwick posted:

i’m that rarest of beasts: someone who actually needs side by side spreadsheets/req forms/po sheets/order pages simultaneously, and being able to have two clearly legible letter-sized content spaces side by side is perfect for me

i bet its great for that application

nurrwick posted:

but at home, 24” is The One Correct Size for me, and i have been happy with 1920x1200.

wisdom

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have a 32" 4k 144hz with kvm. :tipshat:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

i want an electric blue macbook air please
she's got electric blue, a MacBook too

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
big fan of 16:10, ive got a 25 incher with usb c so it does charging too
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/T25m-10A19250WT1-25inch-MonitorHDMI/p/61DCRAT1UK

great apart from when waking My Macbook fails to bring the monitor back from standby for some reason. which i think is a crapple problem

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

i have a 32" 4k 144hz with kvm. :tipshat:

p good if you have failing eyesight so 8k wouldnt be a wise investment

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

p good if you have failing eyesight so 8k wouldnt be a wise investment

i keep it on Big Text mode kuz i cant see poo poo. read the forums at 120% to boot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

big fan of 16:10, ive got a 25 incher with usb c so it does charging too
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/T25m-10A19250WT1-25inch-MonitorHDMI/p/61DCRAT1UK

great apart from when waking My Macbook fails to bring the monitor back from standby for some reason. which i think is a crapple problem

good monitor i almost got it. buy thn got a gigabyte m32u insrtead.... FOR GREAT JUSTICE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

32” 1440p144 in the middle flanked by two 24” 1080p144s with my 55” 4K60 TV that’s mounted on the wall above serving as an extra monitor (primarily for Tarkov maps lol)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

32” 1440p144 in the middle flanked by two 24” 1080p144s with my 55” 4K60 TV that’s mounted on the wall above serving as an extra monitor (primarily for Tarkov maps lol)

many mopniotors... too many for me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Smythe posted:

many mopniotors... too many for me.

sometimes I like to put the linux source code up on every monitor and pretend I’m a master wizard in a hacker den

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

it is, the same thing has happened to me across many, many (intel) macbooks pro and air and a bazillion different display configs. usually it's much worse over hdmi to the point signaling works at all, but even using dp the monitor sometimes needs to be unplugged from mains and plugged back in, just the dp cable will still refuse to sync. i haven't really been determined enough to try to find a permanent cause/fix since i can't seem to pin down any specific event that makes it lose its handshake

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
yeah it's only happened once lately and it resyncs with the off/on button for me but this also power cycles the built in usb hub which is a pain

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

yeah it's only happened once lately and it resyncs with the off/on button for me but this also power cycles the built in usb hub which is a pain

lol you're lucky yours power cycles, on the dell i have connected to my old mbp if it loses the handshake it's basically impossible to tell if the loving thing is actually on or off since the backlight stays off and the status led resets to off, but the actual display seems to still power on since the usb hub works still. :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i guess this is why the studio display has an ipad stuffed into its pants

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

good monitor i almost got it. buy thn got a gigabyte m32u insrtead.... FOR GREAT JUSTICE

I have one of these as well. it's really good. have to up the zoom in firefox to 110% though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Perplx posted:

23" was a big monitor is 2005, I consider 27" the minimum now

monitors are too big now. everything past 15” is too out there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

monitors are too big now. everything past 15” is too out there

this is what peak performance looks like. you may not like it but it's true