Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sometimes i miss my old 17" trinitron from work.

my current display is better by literally every metric, but still, man that thing was fuckin' crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

that thing was fuckin' crisp.

this is history literally clouding your vision, because even the best CRTs were nowhere near as sharp as a fixed pixel display

still lolling at those people who always had to run their monitor at the max resolution, so they would set their 17" monitor to 1600x1200 and sat with their nose pressed against the screen trying to read fuzzy, microscopic text that the display didn't actually have the pixel density to fully resolve

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did you read the words that i wrote or did you just want to dive in with a well, actually?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had one of those electron blue 20" crts, man that was good monitor

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

this is history literally clouding your vision, because even the best CRTs were nowhere near as sharp as a fixed pixel display

still lolling at those people who always had to run their monitor at the max resolution, so they would set their 17" monitor to 1600x1200 and sat with their nose pressed against the screen trying to read fuzzy, microscopic text that the display didn't actually have the pixel density to fully resolve

and having 60hz as the only supported refresh rate at that resolution, so looking at the screen for more than a few minutes gives you headaches for multiple reasons

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

sometimes i miss my old 17" trinitron from work.

my current display is better by literally every metric, but still, man that thing was fuckin' crisp.

I had a 17.5" viewable viewsonic and I still feel bad for getting rid of it, despite its contemporary shortcomings

Lysidas posted:

and having 60hz as the only supported refresh rate at that resolution, so looking at the screen for more than a few minutes gives you headaches for multiple reasons

that's what did it, for me. i could push to 2048x1536 but it felt like my eyes were desiccating. it'd do a buttery 1024x768, though, which was about what most games ram best at, then

at that point i also had a 15" 1024x768 sony lcd and redraw rate and viewing angle aside it was so much easier on my eyes for long work sessions

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lcds dragging everything back down to 60hz for almost 20 years was a sad thing considering that crts in the late 90s could do 100 or 120hz

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 7, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
graybeard 15" crt 1280x1024 crew checking in, 5:4 supremacy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a rackmount sarnsung 20" 5:4 LCD and it's pretty spectacular.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
trinitron or gtfo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

trinitron or gtfo

yeah. best monitors i ever had were the pair of sony CPD-G400. 19", would do 1600x1200 @85Hz, crisp as hell, great colors. just perfect, until they started deteriorating

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

21:9 ultrawide is the ideal monitor aspect ratio because it more naturally approximates our eyes' field of view. also deus ex knew it was the way of the future back in 2000.

i have one 34" 21:9 with a healthy pixel pitch (110 dpi) and if i got a second monitor i would probably just get another one of the same to mount above it, for a 7:6 near square field. that seems pretty cool.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The_Franz posted:

lcds dragging everything back down to 60hz for almost 20 years was a sad thing considering that crts in the late 90s could do 100 or 120hz

yeah, that crt i had could do high refresh rates for similar resolutions, just the eye strain became too much. great color quality, too

that plus a hot key to toggle fsaa levels on my voodoo card made hl1 mods look amazing

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Raluek posted:

yeah. best monitors i ever had were the pair of sony CPD-G400. 19", would do 1600x1200 @85Hz, crisp as hell, great colors. just perfect, until they started deteriorating

my favourite is the 27” iMac screen. shame there’s no target display mode tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

mine was pretty old by the time i was using it and it would get wiggy above 75hz, but you could do 1280x1024 @ 75hz and it looked great.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Raluek posted:

literally the only thing i didn't like about trinitrons were the aperture grill lines, those always bothered the poo poo out of me. but i think it was a reasonable tradeoff, especially as they got better at hiding them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

21:9 ultrawide is the ideal monitor aspect ratio

incorrect

https://www.eizo.com/products/flexscan/ev2730q/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

literally the only thing i didn't like about trinitrons were the aperture grill lines, those always bothered the poo poo out of me. but i think it was a reasonable tradeoff, especially as they got better at hiding them

i never did get my hands on a diamondtron, but they're supposed to be better for this?? idk maybe someday

Evis posted:

my favourite is the 27” iMac screen. shame there’s no target display mode tho

i have a 27" cinema display, but it doesn't work. seems ok other than that

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i never could understand how people could look at a 60hz crt. even just having one in my peripheral vision made my eyes hurt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Raluek posted:

i never did get my hands on a diamondtron, but they're supposed to be better for this?? idk maybe someday

my last non-studio monitor CRT was a 17" diamondtron, and yes it was better and yes it loving owned

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

i never could understand how people could look at a 60hz crt. even just having one in my peripheral vision made my eyes hurt

most people are really, really bad at noticing any sort of detail or subtlety

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Plorkyeran posted:

oh man im of a certain age that i remember installing slackware and b/c xfree86 or whatever was so open ended it would let you run 1024x768 at 50hz interlaced on a 14" crt, versus the usual 800x600 60hz non interlaced

i'd try it, my eyes would bleed after 15 minutes, i'd go back a year later having forgotten about it, and try it again lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

my friend got the NEC whatevertron aperture grill and I remember his eyes sinking when we looked at that blue win2k desktop and saw two faint shadows. I think it was better but not unnoticeable.

me, I remember getting used to my KVM softening /blurring all the graphics and then when I’d direct connect BAM it was razor sharp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

hmmm

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

60hz, hot pink background with a centered picture of an infant kid, bonzi buddy or some kind of waving flag thing in the system tray, random icons and documents scattered all over the desktop

it was every librarian's computer

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Beeftweeter posted:

most people are really, really bad at noticing any sort of detail or subtlety

The_Franz posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
retina only. if you can see pixels your monitor is trash

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

pixels are good actually

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pixels run android. the hardware is good but the os is a pos

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

pixels run android. the hardware is good but the os is a pos

the os is good, the hardware dubious (loving qualcomm), googles stewardship of the os godawful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like being able to see the pixels when I look closely because that way I know I'm not missing anything.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I like being able to see the pixels when I look closely because that way I know I'm not missing anything.

this feels like it's on the same level as luddites who like mechanical hard drives because "i need to hear the computer working"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

21:9 ultrawide is the ideal monitor aspect ratio because it more naturally approximates our eyes' field of view. also deus ex knew it was the way of the future back in 2000.

Ultrawides are ridiculous when you can get more use out of two 16:9 monitors side-by-side. Having an app be full-screen on one monitor while still having full use of the other, being able to flip between different spaces on each monitor. Also, if you need to share your screen on zoom there won't be the momentary pause as everyone in the conference has to adjust their zoom window to be able to make anything that you are sharing legible.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the os is good, the hardware dubious (loving qualcomm), googles stewardship of the os godawful.

the take is too spicy!!!

well the last part doesn't seem spicy but "the os is good"?!?!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

LanceHunter posted:

Ultrawides are ridiculous when you can get more use out of two 16:9 monitors side-by-side. Having an app be full-screen on one monitor while still having full use of the other, being able to flip between different spaces on each monitor. Also, if you need to share your screen on zoom there won't be the momentary pause as everyone in the conference has to adjust their zoom window to be able to make anything that you are sharing legible.

i just use a tiling window manager with mine. it's great and i love it.

when i share my screen i tend to only share one application window and it's half the screen only at most vOv

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

never share your entire screen in a zoom meeting, lest you expose your side poo poo talking chat window to your management

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah lol. Never ever share your whole screen. Individual windows only, or at worst use the "area of screen" option.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

protip: limit screen sharing to a different desktop so people aren't like "what's he hiding"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Beeftweeter posted:

protip: limit screen sharing to a different desktop so people aren't like "what's he hiding"

Hence why multiple monitors are the way to go. My upper-right monitor is the designated share monitor, and only ever holds content that I am okay with other people to seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

eh, even without multiple monitors you can use ffmpeg + avfoundation to just use a virtual one