Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

YanniRotten posted:

I would rely on an architect for high level system design across many individual teams and not care if they were a good safety net for whether my application-level code is good. Maybe architect has a different meaning where you are? I'm certainly not having one of my company's few architects review my API code changes, they might review a design document about a large multi-system feature I'm proposing but not a pull request to implement MYPAPI-123.

I’d normally agree and architects at other places have been way more hands off. But he is the only senior or above assigned to approve every PR into our system. Admittedly, our team is a mess right now and ideally we’d have an actual on our team senior to do what I’m talking about .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In that environment I would do peer review of PRs so you remove a single point and the architect can concentrate on their strengths.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

meanolmrcloud posted:

really scrutinize my PR’s before I send em out

i do this and i wish everyone else would

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BigPaddy posted:

In that environment I would do peer review of PRs so you remove a single point and the architect can concentrate on their strengths.

It sounds like an environment where this might be the blind leading the blind and their architect has one rheumy eye, so having him do code reviews is important.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I’m my current role as an architect, I’m not expected to create or review code at all…

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't even know what my position is now technically. I do a lot of client demos and not a lot of programming. I'm also the de facto scrum master until we can hire a real one, so I get to unfuck Jira.

At least I get paid well for it I guess.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lol on the other side of the house they've crammed ~20 developers onto one virtual machine with 8gb memory at max.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone have any good resources on how to improve my skills as an interviewer?

For better or for worse I am getting dragged into more candidate interviews and might even have to do one on my own.

My usual setup is to give a brief primer of the work our team is doing, the type of products we work on, a brief overview of some of our tools and then open it up to the candidate for questions. Afterwards I'll try to tailor a few questions to their resume/CV as well to get a sense of if they're talking poo poo about their qualifications or not.

But that's maybe 10-15 minutes worth of time, and I certainly don't want to fill any extra time with rote fizzbuzz questions. But also at that point I feel like I've kind of sussed out the candidate to the best of my ability. Just feels short for an interview, can't help but feel like I'm missing something?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 6, 2022

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Protocol7 posted:

But that's maybe 10-15 minutes worth of time, and I certainly don't want to fill any extra time with rote fizzbuzz questions. But also at that point I feel like I've kind of sussed out the candidate to the best of my ability. Just feels short for an interview, can't help but feel like I'm missing something?

Have you tried shifting to have a normal conversation with them for the rest of the interview once your agenda is done?

If I can’t have a normal conversation with someone, I am not interested in working with them. That includes both sides - interviewers or interviewees. That’s just my opinion and I’m sure others disagree. $0.02

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
As a general question about architects, from a senior dev/tech lead perspective: if they’ve only ever been subtly misinformed or downright out of touch is that normal?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Moon LLC posted:

As a general question about architects, from a senior dev/tech lead perspective: if they’ve only ever been subtly misinformed or downright out of touch is that normal?

Pretty much.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mitztronic posted:

Have you tried shifting to have a normal conversation with them for the rest of the interview once your agenda is done?

If I can’t have a normal conversation with someone, I am not interested in working with them. That includes both sides - interviewers or interviewees. That’s just my opinion and I’m sure others disagree. $0.02

This is a good idea. If they aren't a good "culture fit" or whatever the buzzword is these days then it's probably a moot point hiring that candidate.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Here is my Enterprise Architect tries to write code story.

Guy had a lot of experience but had not written code in a long time. Employer was having issues with a ETL tool and so put their “best” guy on it. He was trying to write some JavaScript to translate dates between two systems. He spent a few days not understanding why he was getting errors about the number of the day of the week. He made the rookie mistake of thinking the days of the week were 1-7 but JavaScript does it 0-6 as they just use the index of an array. So babby not long out of Uni me pointed this out and then it worked without issues.

Again smart guy, used to write code for a long time but was not up to date with the gotchas of current popular languages. If you have an architect who thinks they know everything then it can be an issue, if they are able to paint the broad strokes and allow the devs under them to so the details it is fine.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I generally give code writing type interviews, and try to make it conversational. I’m not really concerned with ensuring the candidate completes the problem, you can usually get a vibe that they know how to code fairly quickly, imo. I generally have only interviewed Jr candidates though.

Fortunately, all the candidates I recommend have been strong hires, unfortunately they all get poached almost immediately by another team.

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 6, 2022

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone have any good resources on how to improve my skills as an interviewer?

For better or for worse I am getting dragged into more candidate interviews and might even have to do one on my own.

My usual setup is to give a brief primer of the work our team is doing, the type of products we work on, a brief overview of some of our tools and then open it up to the candidate for questions. Afterwards I'll try to tailor a few questions to their resume/CV as well to get a sense of if they're talking poo poo about their qualifications or not.

I think the best candidates communicate well and will use opportunities to say what they want you to hear. The way you ask questions can facilitate that. I like these:

Tell me about something you're proud of.
Have you ever worked through a tricky situation? What was it like?
Is there anything you wish I'd asked about that I didn't?

I also think anyone doing business software should be able to talk relational databases at least a little (normalization, SQL injection) but apparently they aren't as widely used as I thought

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cum jabbar posted:

I think the best candidates communicate well and will use opportunities to say what they want you to hear. The way you ask questions can facilitate that. I like these:

I also think anyone doing business software should be able to talk relational databases at least a little (normalization, SQL injection) but apparently they aren't as widely used as I thought

This is solid advice.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Here is my Enterprise Architect tries to write code story.

(Exactly my question)

Sign posted:

Pretty much.

Was hoping for some good stories :downsgun:

I’ve also confirmed my attention to detail in documentation is higher than the architect’s.

Good thing if it all works out I’m :sever: soon

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cum jabbar posted:

SQL databases are pretty widely used in business software. It's just that there's plenty of development roles that don't touch SQL databases and programmers won't have access to one as a matter of security policy.

If you're interviewing someone that has a history with SQL I think it's fair to evaluate them on it. Whether it's relevant has more to do with what your team actually does.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cum jabbar posted:

These are good questions because the point to specific examples from their work history rather than general idealised process answers. Some people are just really succinct so the interview just runs short but if you have to keep prompting the candidate to continue then it's horrible.

I try to keep chat to bare minimum outside of work related questions. Maybe a 'did you get here ok?' something like that but never ask a personal question or one that could be construed as one. Even asking about a career gap is on the edge for me .

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Aramoro posted:

I try to keep chat to bare minimum outside of work related questions. Maybe a 'did you get here ok?' something like that but never ask a personal question or one that could be construed as one. Even asking about a career gap is on the edge for me .

Weird, I do the opposite. Some small talk at the beginning to try to calm the nerves. Like, if I see a dog in the background of a zoom call, I’m asking about the dog. I consider it a softball question.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a ruff start to an interview

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My ability to effectively manipulate the ORM we use has significantly improved based on the level of effort I’ve spent learning SQL, fwiw. Not really relevant to interviewing but something I think is worth considering

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

lifg posted:

Weird, I do the opposite. Some small talk at the beginning to try to calm the nerves. Like, if I see a dog in the background of a zoom call, I’m asking about the dog. I consider it a softball question.

For me what you need to do is cut down the possibility of unconscious bias, you don't want to hire people who are just like you and personal questions can run the risk of touching on protected characteristics.

All candidates need to be asked the same set of questions.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Aramoro posted:

For me what you need to do is cut down the possibility of unconscious bias, you don't want to hire people who are just like you and personal questions can run the risk of touching on protected characteristics.

All candidates need to be asked the same set of questions.

+1

Although moderation of course.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Moon LLC posted:

architect as a dedicated role is terrible because you can't design coherent systems without occaisonally implementing systems yourself. there's way too much detail and undocumented behavior in components to be able to make great decisions without having hands on experience

architect as a dedicated role is terrible because engineers don't want to implement designs they had no input into, so even if you are a great architect you're at the mercy of the implementers when it comes to delivery

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My problem with architects is that even if they participate in the initial implementation they immediately move on to the next big new project, so they're never around long enough to see what the long term issues of a system is. Because of that, they keep repeating the same maintainability mistakes over and over.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't even know what an architect does. do they send over a visio drawing of some boxes and arrows over to a dev team? do they stub out a bunch of classes and methods? do they repost the word "kafka" into every slack channel and design document?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The only architect I've ever worked with just wrote a lot of documents that no one read.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I am so gratified to hear that none of you know what a software architect does, because I work with one, and I don’t know what he does except for specify complex and brittle data structures that constantly break in unexpected ways.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Software architects have extensive knowledge of building codes and enough knowledge of engineering to be aware that their elegant designs are entirely impractical, but someone else will be fixing the structural damage in 10 years anyway so why worry?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Software architects are in meetings all day, in which they provide information about systems that development teams want to integrate with. After a programmer demonstrates that they know the right way to build something complex, their bosses make the mistake of giving them the responsibility of ensuring that the rest of the organization knows how to build their own complex things in a consistent way that integrates well. It starts off promising, but before long the world changes out from under them, their skills grow stale, and they lose the context needed to make appropriate designs.

Experienced programmers should know how to do software architecture. It is a valuable skill, but not one that should be specialized in. Businesses that understand how this can be possible avoid creating the software architect role.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
The only software architects that I found to be successful were ones that were essentially just project managers. Putting people into a room, trying to find consensus and then from that distilling a very high-level breakdown of who should be doing what.

As soon as they start involving themselves with, idk, fields in an API or a database table things go wrong. Things go even more wrong if they fancy themselves developers after a while, since "how difficult can it really be"? They might start building things themselves, invariably lacking tests or just generally "a prototype, the team can fill in the rest later".

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I will be one in a couple of weeks so I will let you know. I am hoping it is just a fancy title justifying a certain type of pay grade for a certain type of senior engineer that gets pulled into meetings a bit more than usual.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Having been a software architect, its great. They're called architecture astronauts for a reason. Just make really great suggestions and hope others can implement it, just produce PoCs forever.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Having been a software architect, its great. They're called architecture astronauts for a reason. Just make really great suggestions and hope others can implement it, just produce PoCs forever.

I absolutely hate it when an architect or a lead engineer or whatever drops a PoC over the fence and goes "you finish it".

I mean it's fine when they involve us in the design process but if it just gets added to your backlog with no context it's awful.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

$newjob added me to the Enterprise Architecture Forum a month or so ago, one of my friends who's a high-level Systems Architect recommended looking into TOGAF, and I guess I have a lot of reading to do :v:

For the moment they're happy to have a representative from the operational side, but it would be nice to know what I'm doing :downs:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Wibla posted:

$newjob added me to the Enterprise Architecture Forum a month or so ago, one of my friends who's a high-level Systems Architect recommended looking into TOGAF, and I guess I have a lot of reading to do :v:
I'm sure an organisation trying to sell certifications is definitely the best source of information regarding software architecture.

Brb getting officially licensed as a SCRUM(tm) Master

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sagacity posted:

I'm sure an organisation trying to sell certifications is definitely the best source of information regarding software architecture.

Brb getting officially licensed as a SCRUM(tm) Master

Did someone kick you into the cynic bath this morning? :cripes:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Wibla posted:

Did someone kick you into the cynic bath this morning? :cripes:
I think that happened at birth, Obelix-style :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I had a Senior Software Architect title once I think it basically meant "this guy has been here the longest and knows how all our stuff works"

I personally don't like terms like architect or engineer. I'm a software developer, or computer programmer if you want to kick it old school.