Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

odiv posted:

Where do you all get your Raspberry Pis from in Canada? Just "whoever has stock"?

I typically either buy from Canakit or Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lately ive found a lot of canadian distributors have been "out of stock" unless you buy one of their overpriced kits with a bunch of poo poo i don't want. fortunately pishop.ca (formerly buyapi.ca) has been getting in stock off and on and lets you buy one at a time without needing everything else

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I also used PiShop. They actually had stuff in stock.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

odiv posted:

Where do you all get your Raspberry Pis from in Canada? Just "whoever has stock"?

pishop.ca (formerly buyapi.ca). If they're all out I'll check canakit but they usually have less availability.

Sometimes I'll order from sparkfun, but that's import from the US so it's often not worth it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Holy poo poo, ATICs clearance center is a blast from the past inside another blast from the past….pc133 ram sticks, GeForce 4 coolers, agp video cards, 10k rpm scsi drives….

I remember buying my first PC parts there back in 2003 or so, Athlon XP 2500+ and a 9600XT. It was a dingy hole in the wall with stuff piled everywhere, probably still the same today.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s definitely some kind of money laundering operation.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The competition bureau is going to oppose the Shaw-Rogers merger, although I have no idea how much that changes things.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-shaw-competition-commissioner-1.6445426

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Given Rogers and Shaw territory doesn’t overlap for cable services I fail to see how it would result in decreased competition. If anything I think them merging their cable internet business might help them better compete with the Bell and Telus fiber businesses in the long run by being a bigger player and letting them get better deals on DOCSIS 4. (I’m assuming the wireless business is sold off, and I’m also not terribly well informed on this so please do correct me if I’m wrong.)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A clever ploy on behalf of the competition bureau to smooth the way for a Bell-Rogers merger imho.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2027: god I hate BeRgers!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish Telus would bring Fibre to my area, the top option is 75mbit, and yet a couple km away thr top end fibre is available.

My shaw renewal is in June and trying to decide if I should just reup or maybe go teksavvy

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chris Knight posted:

Brodgells

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chris Knight posted:

Belger's coffee :downsrim:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i liked to use tpias but ngl bell is stringing up brownfield fibre on my street and im switching as soon as it’s lit

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bell is bout to install fiber on my street too and I think I'll switch away from Teksavvy after over a decade of service

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I wish Telus would bring Fibre to my area, the top option is 75mbit, and yet a couple km away thr top end fibre is available.

My shaw renewal is in June and trying to decide if I should just reup or maybe go teksavvy
As much as I loathe telus and how every time you talk them ~something~ changes on the service they gently caress up the billing, but their fibre really is a good product and I have zero complaints.

I'd like to support the small independents but :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chris Knight posted:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Telus fiber is amazing. As long as you’re willing to sign a two year contract it’s also cheaper than Shaw or Teksavvy. (Edit: as long as you’re after 500mbps or more. They don’t offer anything like a cheap 6mbps plan for $35.)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They shouldn't be allowed to charge money for anything under 10050- no, 100mbps in this country today

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

They shouldn't be allowed to charge money for anything under 10050- no, 100mbps in this country today

They'll argue it down to 128kbps and the CRTC will agree with them

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

slidebite posted:

As much as I loathe telus and how every time you talk them ~something~ changes on the service they gently caress up the billing, but their fibre really is a good product and I have zero complaints.

I'd like to support the small independents but :shrug:

For a long time I was on a Telus ambassador plan due to being technically considered a legacy there (even though I don't work for the phone company) and I think it's resulted in me being treated really well by the Telus reps. Everyone I know has had horror stories with them but I've never had a single issue so there's gotta be some kind of "BE NICE GODDAMMIT" flag on my account or something.

My current apartment has a fibre termination in the entrance hall closet. It rocks. The GPON SFP goes right into my switch and my firewall's VLAN interface gets an IP address off it without a hitch.

I do still have to do a "listen I've been a customer for twenty years blah blah blah guilt guilt" with Mobility every couple years to get them to cut my bill in half though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

128kbps enough to stream all the CanCon your heart desires.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is Bell fibre viewed as favourably as Telus Fibre? I've only ever heard good things about the Telus service.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
IME their GPON service has had 100% uptime for the three years I've had it and the same for every one of my clients that have it.

It's expensive, but incredibly reliable, and you get the speeds you pay for.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've had Bell gigabit for 5 years, it's solid.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The service is solid, but the homehub (cpe box) is a crapshoot of quality. If you get weird reboots/issues, the hardware is failing and needs to be swapped out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

too bad with the 4000 you can’t pull out the port and plug it into your own router

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Idk the HH3000 I've had zero problems with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm not using my HH3K, but the people I know who have them don't run into the same issues as the HH2K had with making GBS threads itself under load or simply because it was running for more than a week.

Haven't interacted with the HH4K at all though, so no idea there.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

Idk the HH3000 I've had zero problems with it

I went through a couple (HH3k), and now have a good one and it's been rock solid, even does DFS wifi now.

The guy at the bell store was talking about how basically if it works, it's solid, otherwise there's lots of weird issues - which points to really bad QA/QC in the manufacturing process. Could also tell that they were handing out refurbished gear because Covid supply lines are screwed up on new equipment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That said, if you get the business service (and it's often cheaper if you do since they have more promotions on it, it seems), the ONT is a separate box entirely and you can just connect whatever you want to it on via ethernet.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I've been on Bell (Aliant) fibre for about 2 years with a HH3k. After an initial issue when it was first installed where I kept getting momentary connection drops every few minutes it's been rock solid.

The disconnecting issue was apparently caused by a software update that didn't work quite right. Resetting to factory defaults so it could do the update properly fixed it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I have bell fibre (HH3K bypassed) and it's great except it uses pppoe, no ipv6, no static ip option on consumer and the peering is pretty bad.
Bell doesn't peer with cloudflare in canada so all cloudflare protected sites which includes somethingawful.com are 10ms+ slower than they should be. I'm 8ms from 8.8.8.8 but 18ms from 1.1.1.1, they should be about the same because they are both in every large city.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Bell doesn't peer with fellow Canadian operations as a base policy - they'll gladly sell a circuit though (@ like $35/mbps last I checked a few years ago).

All default routing is sent to the states (Chicago/NY/Seattle), probably for some :tinfoil: reasons as it crosses the border.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Well, today things definitely got shittier for Rogers, or anyone using their network…

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What the gently caress is it still down? It's been eight loving hours.

Rogers delenda est

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What amazes me most about this is actually Interac. How could a national service only have one ISP? Interac is literally down across the country because Rogers went down? Come on guys.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had to pick up a prescription and the pharmacist was like "Do you have cash? Our reader's down" and I remembered I had a couple fives from when I last did laundry. *whew* glad I kept my habit of having at least $40 cash on me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nitr0 posted:

What amazes me most about this is actually Interac. How could a national service only have one ISP? Interac is literally down across the country because Rogers went down? Come on guys.

https://twitter.com/edwardrow/status/1545430246798786560?s=20&t=_0eAJR5s5R4_5MHogStIdg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I’m amazed at how long it’s gone on for. The ultimate defcon, all hands, money no object, just hook it to my veins, scenario for the company and they are not getting anything moving and lol at the crtc tweeting out that their phone are down because of it. You’d think at least those would be on some free gratis platinum package with failover to microwave links but no.