Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

if you start involving ffmpeg why not go the extra mile and inject a prerecorded video version of yourself paying attention to meetings so you can go outside in the nice weather and do something productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

r u ready to WALK posted:

if you start involving ffmpeg why not go the extra mile and inject a prerecorded video version of yourself paying attention to meetings so you can go outside in the nice weather and do something productive

have literally done this before, 5/5 would cheat again

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

you can make a video a virtual background in zoom that accomplishes this very easily, it loops automatically too hehe

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

my last non-studio monitor CRT was a 17" diamondtron, and yes it was better and yes it loving owned

CRTs are cool because they don't really have a native res, you can light up part of a phosphor dot so you can get as much detail as the electronics controlling the beam can handle

well I guess color resolution is limited to the density of the phosphors but yeah luminance could be effectively unlimited resolution

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ffs just minimize windows you don’t want people to see, you don’t need a dedicated “screen share monitor”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

ffs just minimize windows you don’t want people to see, you don’t need a dedicated “screen share monitor”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

the take is too spicy!!!

well the last part doesn't seem spicy but "the os is good"?!?!

i do think it is good, in the way windows is good granted (so the yospos ridicule is entirely fair and fun), but that is still a kind of valuable good. lot of issues hammered out over the years, and even with some weird old design decisions lurking it is just competent engineering at this point. but googles stewardship of the thing makes it basically no-go at this rate, i.e. it being a nice bit of software you could run a successful company off of licensing is irrelevant to them, it is all ultimately adwords forever

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

LanceHunter posted:

Ultrawides are ridiculous when you can get more use out of two 16:9 monitors side-by-side.

that’s STUPID. if you have two monitors side by side there’s a plastic bazel right in the middle where you sit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

you can make a video a virtual background in zoom that accomplishes this very easily, it loops automatically too hehe

early in zoom world i put the camera output thru obs so i could put anime girls and such in my room with me to be wacky and zany but got bored of that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The_Franz posted:

this feels like it's on the same level as luddites who like mechanical hard drives because "i need to hear the computer working"

trivia time

so back in the age where we played dark age of camelot, we'd be running around in the pvp zone and whenever there were enemies that closer than, say, 1000 yards, even if they were in the woods or behind a hill, the game would load the textures for their character models. So the hard drives would rattle and tick. We used this as trashy 'radar' to know that we were about to get into a fight. A couple enterprising folks actually put contact mics on their hard drives and amplified it through their speakers so they could hear it if we happened to be talking in Teamspeak at the same time. Once SSDs showed up, that went away, but a few folks stuck with platter drives specifically for the early warning system, as it isn't a really demanding game on the system, and they gained something by keeping it on a lovely WD Green drive.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The_Franz posted:

this feels like it's on the same level as luddites who like mechanical hard drives because "i need to hear the computer working"

Luddites didnt have a problem with the technology, they had a problem with the distribution of the wealth created by the technologies. But history has largely been written by their opponents - which is to say capital - so the term has slipped into a catch-all for "people who fear change."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's also possible to "fear" change because you believe the change will on balance make things worse. it's not inherently bad to try to prevent the world from becoming materially worse, just because it's new

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

Luddites didnt have a problem with the technology, they had a problem with the distribution of the wealth created by the technologies. But history has largely been written by their opponents - which is to say capital - so the term has slipped into a catch-all for "people who fear change."

Yup, the luddites were actually solid comrades and 150 years of billionaires owning all the media has warped the perception of them into an incorrect "they just hated technology for irrational reasons and did dangerous things because they felt like it" take

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

it's also possible to "fear" change because you believe the change will on balance make things worse. it's not inherently bad to try to prevent the world from becoming materially worse, just because it's new

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jonny 290 posted:

Yup, the luddites were actually solid comrades and 150 years of billionaires owning all the media has warped the perception of them into an incorrect "they just hated technology for irrational reasons and did dangerous things because they felt like it" take

mhm mhm mhm

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
mfers in here need a whole second monitor because they can’t stop dishing about mike’s big fat stupid face while they’re actively giving a screen share presentation

probably gonna be bitching in the cjs thread in three months about how capitalism got them fired for a single lapse of concentration

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rjmccall posted:

mfers in here need a whole second monitor because they can’t stop dishing about mike’s big fat stupid face while they’re actively giving a screen share presentation

probably gonna be bitching in the cjs thread in three months about how capitalism got them fired for a single lapse of concentration

cant wait on your takes for those of us who have a third monitor. hang on throwing some popcorn in. pls xpost it to substack

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you want another monitor that’s great. please buy it from my company, tia. just lmao at those catty idiots specifically

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
one monitor is enough for me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

trivia time

so back in the age where we played dark age of camelot, we'd be running around in the pvp zone and whenever there were enemies that closer than, say, 1000 yards, even if they were in the woods or behind a hill, the game would load the textures for their character models. So the hard drives would rattle and tick. We used this as trashy 'radar' to know that we were about to get into a fight.

doom 3 and its jump scares had the same thrashing behavior, i don't think a single thing took me by surprise, game design aside because half of them had a calm hallway before a complex enemy model popped a wall panel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How did those demons get inside the walls in the first place anyway

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
clipped through the terrain while falling from heaven

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
ultrawide monitors are for ultrawide people

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
we have the ultra wide monitors at the new office but I haven't got there early enough to grab one yet. having 2x 16:9a is just weird

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol imagine turning your camera on ever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

its nice to turn your camera on like one day a week so they feel it's a special occasion. im not hosed up about it (also i'm a hot bitch so really its a gift to them)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Agile Vector posted:

doom 3 and its jump scares had the same thrashing behavior, i don't think a single thing took me by surprise, game design aside because half of them had a calm hallway before a complex enemy model popped a wall panel

lol i had a wd raptor at the time plus a stupid number of fans and a radeon x850 (i think), so if the disk was thrashing i never got to hear it anyway

doom 3 did come out on my birthday though. too bad i already got a free copy from beta testing it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

i always have my camera on because i dont want people to have to talk to a bunch of black boxes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have my camera on for every zoom class and none of my students do, ever. zero percent. at the beginning of the pandemic it was maybe a third of each class but now it's literally zero.

we aren't allowed to require it because students might have privacy concerns (but i must not, i guess). i can request that they have their cameras on, and i have periodically, but inevitably after 20 minutes they're all off again.

it really bums me out.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol that would suck so hard

my friend recorded all her lectures last year so now she's makin those sweet profbucks but doesn't have to actually deliver lectures

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

half the time they don't even turn their cameras on for zoom advising appointments unless i ask. and still then it might be "oh i don't have a camera." sure. :(

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Grown man begging kids to go on cam. Vile

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

How did those demons get inside the walls in the first place anyway

hell’s teleporters are not very accurate

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i had pandemic class i turned my camera on and off frequently. i have to turn it off to vape which is every 15 seconds approximately. guess what i also participate. easy points. $$$$

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
smythe its good to see you, i was genuinely concerned for your well being after the goth ihop photo started bouncing around cspam

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

smythe its good to see you, i was genuinely concerned for your well being after the goth ihop photo started bouncing around cspam

all goth ihop photos must pass through me for approval jonny, you know the rules.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
how am I supposed to do the household chores I save for meetings if ym camera's on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

all goth ihop photos must pass through me for approval jonny, you know the rules.

oh did you miss it?

commence collar tuggin and brow wipin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

oh did you miss it?

commence collar tuggin and brow wipin

approved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis