Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Official teaser release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Gx8wiNbs8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kliras posted:

what's the best way to watch it at home? i have an lg c1, so it probably doesn't have any legacy 3d features, and i imagine streaming services don't have any 3d versions. i still have some 3d glasses lying around from when everyone was doing 3d after avatar a million years ago

Avatar doesn't even have a 4K blu-ray release. Cameron likes to drag his feet on those (still waiting on The Abyss 4K), which I guess makes sense, considering how long it takes him to make movies. I don't even think the version on Disney+ streams at 4K either lol. So best experience, on a non-3D capable set, would probably just be the original blu-ray release unfortunately. Lmao.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Now THAT is an excellent teaser.

Just finished watching the original in 3D again last night :cool: Still holds up. HURRY UP DECEMBER

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

Seems like a good time to revisit this.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I will say it's very fitting they gave the human guy dreads in this one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't hate this? Navi with guns especially grabs my interest.

One this that does strike me is that while I'm sure the CGI is much higher quality it seems less impressive to me. Avatar the first, whatever else can be said about it, looked "more real" than anything CGI had up until then. This looks very, very good but not exceptional — everything else has mostly caught up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm super hyped for anything Cameron does. The dialogue and premise will always be hokey. But he directs and edits the action beats so drat cleanly and all his poo poo is a ton of fun.

teagone posted:

Avatar doesn't even have a 4K blu-ray release. Cameron likes to drag his feet on those (still waiting on The Abyss 4K), which I guess makes sense, considering how long it takes him to make movies. I don't even think the version on Disney+ streams at 4K either lol. So best experience, on a non-3D capable set, would probably just be the original blu-ray release unfortunately. Lmao.

The bulk of the live-action footage was shot on the F950, which output 1080p footage (on tape). It was then matted to 2.39:1, which put the final resolution at 900p. A huge portion of the film is fully CG, but the final finish was 2K. So, while digital upscaling can create some attractive results when done well, you're not going to get *too* much more out of a 4K release.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2022

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Avatar blew my loving mind in IMAX 3D that I bought another ticket when I left the theater. I'm in on that.

LD&R Volume 3 also looks great

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

I'm super hyped for anything Cameron does. The dialogue and premise will always be hokey. But he directs and edits the action beats so drat cleanly and all his poo poo is a ton of fun.

The bulk of the live-action footage was shot on the F950, which output 1080p footage (on tape). It was then matted to 2.39:1, which put the final resolution at 900p. A huge portion of the film is fully CG, but the final finish was 2K. So, while digital upscaling can create some attractive results when done well, you're not going to get *too* much more out of a 4K release.

Cameron oversees the 4K transfers himself I think, right? Couldn't he maybe cull something from the 70mm IMAX prints of Avatar that'd potentially look better than the current blu-ray release?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i was fully ready to roll my eyes out of my head and be cynical but that legit looks really cool. i'm easily pleased so simply having blue guys with guns was enough to make me interested haha

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The GOAT has returned

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wasted the opportunity to use Blue by Eiffel 65 in the trailer.

Unless... hm, the Smurfs movie(s?) probably already did that, didn't they.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lobok posted:

Wasted the opportunity to use Blue by Eiffel 65 in the trailer.

Unless... hm, the Smurfs movie(s?) probably already did that, didn't they.

Iron Man 3 already claimed it for its opening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Iron Man 3 already claimed it for its opening.

That was just to sell the time period. These characters are blue!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

There... Appears to be some type of Navi/human hybrid in that trailer and I'm unsure how I feel about that.

I mean, it is a tres pretty trailer, don't get me wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks whatever but of fuckin course I’m seeing it in IMAX. And that’s why it’s gonna do well.

Why wouldn’t you see the avatar sequel? Even if you don’t care?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

teagone posted:

Cameron oversees the 4K transfers himself I think, right? Couldn't he maybe cull something from the 70mm IMAX prints of Avatar that'd potentially look better than the current blu-ray release?

70mm prints from 2009 are probably just the 2K finish printed to film. You'd have a generation of loss by scanning a print back in. At best there might have been an up-rezzed DI that used techniques that are now 13 years out of date. Any new 4K release would want to do that fresh.

The thing is 2K is totally fine for cinema, even IMAX. Even recent movies like Dune only have a 2K finish, despite being shot on 70mm sensors. It's nice to see something shot on 65mm with master primes shot by someone like Lubezki in pristine 4K and having swaths of fine detail... but much of the time you're just getting a bit of sharpening that otherwise largely looks the same as a 2K bluray.

Again, a well-done upscale can look nice and crisp without adding too much in the way of artifacts if done well. You often also get more nuance in the tonal range when they make remasters like that. It's just not going to be as huge a game changer as a 4K release of a film that originated with higher definition assets.

CelticPredator posted:

It looks whatever but of fuckin course I’m seeing it in IMAX. And that’s why it’s gonna do well.

Why wouldn’t you see the avatar sequel? Even if you don’t care?

One of my favorite parts of a new Cameron movie coming out is when people think it might not be successful. Both Titanic and Avatar had people predicting massive expensive failures... and well, that seems silly now. A part of me does wonder about the viability of this franchise in the 2022 landscape... but nah, I'm not betting against Cameron's market intuition anymore.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 9, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I can't wait for this. The Three Robots sequel sounds amazing:

quote:

Three Robots: Exit Strategies

The first direct sequel in Love, Death + Robots history – from the mind of acclaimed sci-fi novelist John Scalzi. The titular trio of droll droids return to take a whirlwind tour studying post-apocalyptic human survival strategies before mankind was finally snuffed out.

It's going to be like reading failed Vault descriptions in the Fallout games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

70mm prints from 2009 are probably just the 2K finish printed to film. You'd have a generation of loss by scanning a print back in. At best there might have been an up-rezzed DI that used techniques that are now 13 years out of date. Any new 4K release would want to do that fresh.

The thing is 2K is totally fine for cinema, even IMAX. Even recent movies like Dune only have a 2K finish, despite being shot on 70mm sensors. It's nice to see something shot on 65mm with master primes shot by someone like Lubezki in pristine 4K and having swaths of fine detail... but much of the time you're just getting a bit of sharpening that otherwise largely looks the same as a 2K bluray.

Again, a well-done upscale can look nice and crisp without adding too much in the way of artifacts if done well. You often also get more nuance in the tonal range when they make remasters like that. It's just not going to be as huge a game changer as a 4K release of a film that originated with higher definition assets.

Ahh cool, thanks for the insight!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm da lesbian avatar

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have a blue wife, PANDORA! My second home...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Left absolutely cold by that teaser, but it's James Cameron, so you know I'm going to see it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's pretty funny to see some people outside the forum complain that the avatar trailer "isn't showing anything" and falls short because they've all been conditioned by lovely marvel trailers showing 80% of the movie punctuated by BWAP synced edits or some misplaced arbitrary song used "subversively" or "ironically"

i assume we'll see more later, but it's nice to now have it all thrown at us ... at least as long as it lasts

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kliras posted:

it's pretty funny to see some people outside the forum complain that the avatar trailer "isn't showing anything" and falls short because they've all been conditioned by lovely marvel trailers showing 80% of the movie punctuated by BWAP synced edits or some misplaced arbitrary song used "subversively" or "ironically"

i assume we'll see more later, but it's nice to now have it all thrown at us ... at least as long as it lasts

Yeah I mean... it's a teaser and doing what a teaser does: Teasin'.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I mean... it's a teaser and doing what a teaser does: Teasin'.
plenty of teasers that don't get the teasing part, which always bums me out. wonder who's doing the editing on the trailers for this one

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 9, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's literally the highest grossing movie of all time. To try to dismiss Avatar in retrospect is pretty loving funny.

I was going to pedant that Disney did a mini re-release to put Avengers: Endgame ahead of Avatar, but it turns out that Fox wangled Avatar a 2021 re-release in China that took $50m and put it back at number 1.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
hq version if people want to scrutinize the trailer or check it on their tv

https://twitter.com/digital_theater/status/1523692859895033857

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kliras posted:

hq version if people want to scrutinize the trailer or check it on their tv

https://twitter.com/digital_theater/status/1523692859895033857

Curiously no 4k resolution version availble online though.

Nm, there's a 4K IMAX trailer from that link. gently caress yeah.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

teagone posted:

Curiously no 4k resolution version availble online though.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-2022/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jedit posted:

I was going to pedant that Disney did a mini re-release to put Avengers: Endgame ahead of Avatar, but it turns out that Fox wangled Avatar a 2021 re-release in China that took $50m and put it back at number 1.

Yeah that owned. I’m sure it’s also going to get a re-re-re-re-re-release closer to December for everyone else so it’ll pad the number a little bit more.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that owned. I’m sure it’s also going to get a re-re-re-re-re-release closer to December for everyone else so it’ll pad the number a little bit more.

They announced at the big Disney....thing a week or two ago it's getting a full remastered released in theaters. (This may have already been known, but it was news to me.) Safe to say that Avatar is going to hold that #1 spot until inflation makes it literally impossible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Avatar 2 trillion dollar box office lets goooo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

There... Appears to be some type of Navi/human hybrid in that trailer and I'm unsure how I feel about that.

Horny? I don't know.

I'm disappointed the title isn't in papyrus font anymore, but I guess after the money the first one made they could afford to buy a non-freeware one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maybe the na'vi will finally cure COVID

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Na'vi are immune to COVID but are quite susceptible to FIV

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1523690854795268101

As a Star Wars fan, I support this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I didn't really care about the first film either. So I guess I'm not the market for this lol

same, but it's cool to see people excited about stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

same, but it's cool to see people excited about stuff

I'm really excited :supaburn: