Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I picked up this game a couple days ago because exploring the galaxy is very cool and the game is really very pretty.

I have since discovered that it's a game about going very, very fast in an extremely slow way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Looking at the Ls value on a mission before taking it" is a lesson you learn very, very quickly

unless you enjoy that sort of thing in which case Hutton Truckers want to know your location

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Looking at the Ls value on a mission before taking it" is a lesson you learn very, very quickly

unless you enjoy that sort of thing in which case Hutton Truckers want to know your location

I've learned that lesson twice in one night now. I have a second dropoff in this system at a different station. I misread the system map and though the easiest way to reach that station would be to jump out and then jump back in, because I thought the other station was near the main star.

Nope. The second station is really close to the first station. So I'm doing that same journey a second time! Thankfully I have supercruise assist so I can just go do something else for a bit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Try not to get interdicted lol

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Already happened 3 times -- it's not so bad, it reminds me of trying to keep guns on target in war thunder.

I imagine it gets worse when I'm not being interdicted by NPCs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you're being interdicted by a player the minigame becomes truly sweaty to the point that it's 80% luck. That slippery goddamn target goes flying everywhere while you struggle to bring your crosshair onto it. That said I've actually managed to beat an engineered player interdiction when it really counted (hold full of pre-nerf void opals).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you're being interdicted by a player the minigame becomes truly sweaty to the point that it's 80% luck. That slippery goddamn target goes flying everywhere while you struggle to bring your crosshair onto it. That said I've actually managed to beat an engineered player interdiction when it really counted (hold full of pre-nerf void opals).

That's actually less luck and depends more on your ship. I'm mostly flying small-to-medium sized ships and a slippery Phantom can escape interdiction easily 80% of the time.

I was a bit surprised the first time I was tooling around in my big fat Imperial Monster and got interdicted. Luckily the very smart tactic of "target next star and jump" still worked. :v:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It was hilarious when I friended some scrub that was screwing around in Frog space, and kept relaying his position after he jumped from star to star to the kill team chasing him. Don't know if he ever put two and two together.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Libluini posted:

That's actually less luck and depends more on your ship. I'm mostly flying small-to-medium sized ships and a slippery Phantom can escape interdiction easily 80% of the time.

I was a bit surprised the first time I was tooling around in my big fat Imperial Monster and got interdicted. Luckily the very smart tactic of "target next star and jump" still worked. :v:

I was flying a miner, so it was a big fat slow ship. I just panicked and did the minigame and won.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Libluini posted:

Can you jump while doing the minigame?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Solumin posted:

technically yes but realistically no-- you can charge up a high-wake but "actually jumping at the end of it" requires the minigame's RNG to end up in a place where you can point your ship in the right direction to finalize the jump. there's a reason the advice is usually "keep another system available to quick-lock to, submit, and then high-wake"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Solumin posted:

I tend to get so caught up in the mini-game that I end up only remembering after I drop out of SC (if I lose).

Apart from some fun times where Frontier managed to create NPCs with guns and targeting far beyond mortal keen*, I still tend to get out reliably. Though only because at very least the shock of suddenly dropping out means I suddenly remember to target the next star, point my ship in a random direction, and boost, then hit jump to begin charge-up.

Generally, this only fails when I'm exceptionally dumb or the game cheats. (One time I lost my Asp because the player who got me demanded some gold and then wanted to let me go, and I wanted to type at him to tell hum to suck it, but for the life of me could not remember how the chat function worked, and he eventually lost patience and blew me up. :v: )

*As an example, it's really funny if you drop out of supercruise, and in the time it takes you to look at your sensor screen to see what is actually attack you, you already got hit and died. This particular adventures was at some early point after engineering was added, something about how the NPCs generated by the game sometimes got cheating super-guns no player could actually match, and they tended to lock and hit you in a time far below human reaction times.

Shortly after my confused rear end got toasted, the bug got fixed.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Solumin posted:

I picked up this game a couple days ago because exploring the galaxy is very cool and the game is really very pretty.

I have since discovered that it's a game about going very, very fast in an extremely slow way.

Thankfully you've picked the best reason to play elite so you should have a good time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

I tend to get so caught up in the mini-game that I end up only remembering after I drop out of SC (if I lose).

Apart from some fun times where Frontier managed to create NPCs with guns and targeting far beyond mortal keen*, I still tend to get out reliably. Though only because at very least the shock of suddenly dropping out means I suddenly remember to target the next star, point my ship in a random direction, and boost, then hit jump to begin charge-up.

Generally, this only fails when I'm exceptionally dumb or the game cheats. (One time I lost my Asp because the player who got me demanded some gold and then wanted to let me go, and I wanted to type at him to tell hum to suck it, but for the life of me could not remember how the chat function worked, and he eventually lost patience and blew me up. :v: )

*As an example, it's really funny if you drop out of supercruise, and in the time it takes you to look at your sensor screen to see what is actually attack you, you already got hit and died. This particular adventures was at some early point after engineering was added, something about how the NPCs generated by the game sometimes got cheating super-guns no player could actually match, and they tended to lock and hit you in a time far below human reaction times.

Shortly after my confused rear end got toasted, the bug got fixed.

ah, yes, the original "visual bug"

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Reminder that last year they introduced a bug that let you do infinity damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-L9m_SdHk

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So.... how do you learn how to dock? The autodock computer is lovely, but I know I'm going to need those module slots eventually and autodocking won't always be an option.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Solumin posted:

So.... how do you learn how to dock? The autodock computer is lovely, but I know I'm going to need those module slots eventually and autodocking won't always be an option.

Did they take out the "tutorial" option when you start a game? That's basically The Place You're Supposed To Learn It

e: Yeah if you go to continue, then all the way to the right should be a "Training" option, all of which are "free ship" scenarios where you can gently caress around learning mechanics without putting your rebuy at risk, "Training Simulation > Docking and Travel" is the one you'll want but the others might be worth at least glancing at too

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 6, 2022

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

kemikalkadet posted:

Reminder that last year they introduced a bug that let you do infinity damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-L9m_SdHk

Some of the best gameplay comes from the bugs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just pitched myself into a white dwarf with half a hold full of diamonds while repeatedly flying back and forth through the ejection trying to figure out how to activate the dang jet cone boost. Turns out it doesn't work if you don't have a fuel scoop, whopps! Although the ingame route planner will happily plot supercharged jumps for you regardless of your current hardware. On the bright side the other half of the hold was opals which I had already sold.

Speaking of which, apparently mining ate a big fat nerf bat since I last played? What's the current flavor of the month get-rich-quick scheme?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Robigo passenger runs. I was making 100-135 million an hour in a Python.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Had a very fun evening with my friend who dragged me into this game in the first place. Did a little exploration, got a cool ~3 million for a system that had like 10 high-metal planets. Then I outfitted an Eagle and we blasted through some bounties and combat missions. We took down an Anaconda, it was great. Ended up ~5m richer overall, almost enough for my next ship: the Vulture.

Or I'll keep saving up for the Diamondback Explorer that I've had my eye on.

Did they take out the "tutorial" option when you start a game? That's basically The Place You're Supposed To Learn It

e: Yeah if you go to continue, then all the way to the right should be a "Training" option, all of which are "free ship" scenarios where you can gently caress around learning mechanics without putting your rebuy at risk, "Training Simulation > Docking and Travel" is the one you'll want but the others might be worth at least glancing at too

Excellent, I'll give those a shot! I did manage to dock manually tonight. The only really trick part was lining up with the pad, and that wasn't too bad. I thought flight assist was supposed to keep me rotating with the station, which would have helped a lot.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just pitched myself into a white dwarf with half a hold full of diamonds while repeatedly flying back and forth through the ejection trying to figure out how to activate the dang jet cone boost. Turns out it doesn't work if you don't have a fuel scoop, whopps! Although the ingame route planner will happily plot supercharged jumps for you regardless of your current hardware. On the bright side the other half of the hold was opals which I had already sold.

Speaking of which, apparently mining ate a big fat nerf bat since I last played? What's the current flavor of the month get-rich-quick scheme?

lol that you practiced maneuvers next to a star with a hold half full of cargo, thats pretty funny

this is why i have a fleet of small ships i hardly ever used except to probably crash into a surface or gravity well

otoh, i never ran shields on my cargo ships and have definitely lost a couple that way. but honestly lol if you need shields anyway

getting high as a kite and then turning on the top gun sound track and canyon racing is one of my guiltiest pleasures that i also do way too often in a variety of unfortunately sized vessels

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 7, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Robigo as noted for "most credits per hour but teeth grindingly dull and you still have to pay attention to what you're doing"

Core mining got nerfed but it's still pretty decent, especially if you already have a fleet carrier and can squat on your stock until you find a good price, and is a gameplay loop that doesn't necessarily make you want to quit playing immediately

Bounty mission stacking is still good, especially if you can find one of The Good Spots where multiple different factions give missions for the same targets, since that still works to get credit towards multiple missions at the same time, and you can nearly afk those if you have a decent build and NPC pilot.

Wing missions are literally free money and you can frequently either get "handouts" or "I'll share some with you if you share some with me" around the internet if you look hard enough.

Solumin posted:

I thought flight assist was supposed to keep me rotating with the station, which would have helped a lot.

There should be an explicit "station rotation" toggle in your right hand panel iirc. Turning that on means your ship will stay in place relative to the station interior; there's not generally any reason to turn it off unless something bugs out and tries to stationkeep you to something that isn't a station.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you have enough to buy a suit and a couple weapons the frontline missions (odyssey) can be a good way to make some money while playing a bad FPS. I get about 8 million for each mission which take like 15 minutes each. It also seemed to raise my reputation fast.

Just try to find a frontline mission kiosk close to a high threat battle since the travel time can be bad if you aren’t careful.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If you have enough to buy a suit and a couple weapons the frontline missions (odyssey) can be a good way to make some money while playing a bad FPS. I get about 8 million for each mission which take like 15 minutes each. It also seemed to raise my reputation fast.

Just try to find a frontline mission kiosk close to a high threat battle since the travel time can be bad if you aren’t careful.

These aren't really missions, they're combat zones which you can access without going to the desk first. You can also relog after the zone ends to start another one immediately. The desk is essentially just a taxi service like Apex but for local wars.

Combat bond income for these is kind of broken compared to space combat zones, as you can earn about 15 million from a highCZ on the ground but only around 3 million from the much more challenging and risky space battles. Massacre missions make up for it, but it's still an annoying imbalance, especially as it gives people fighting against our faction a disproportionately fast way of getting bonds with no real barrier to entry.

If you happen to be in a Diamond Frogs system please don't do any war on the ground as Odyssey settlements are really bad news for maintaining control of the system.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i wonder what % of the player base is taking advantage of the ground stuff and for how long lol

i actually have low standards / expectations of those types of things so i should do the ground crap more

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tommy the Newt posted:

These aren't really missions, they're combat zones which you can access without going to the desk first. You can also relog after the zone ends to start another one immediately. The desk is essentially just a taxi service like Apex but for local wars.

Combat bond income for these is kind of broken compared to space combat zones, as you can earn about 15 million from a highCZ on the ground but only around 3 million from the much more challenging and risky space battles. Massacre missions make up for it, but it's still an annoying imbalance, especially as it gives people fighting against our faction a disproportionately fast way of getting bonds with no real barrier to entry.

If you happen to be in a Diamond Frogs system please don't do any war on the ground as Odyssey settlements are really bad news for maintaining control of the system.

Good point. You can just hang out and do battle after battle and fly home afterwards without taking the taxi. No real death penalty and as long as you shoot bad guys it doesn’t matter much if you win or lose.

I am not near DF space but why not do them for DF?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Good point. You can just hang out and do battle after battle and fly home afterwards without taking the taxi. No real death penalty and as long as you shoot bad guys it doesn’t matter much if you win or lose.

I am not near DF space but why not do them for DF?

OP said in the post, Odyssey settlements make it really difficult to maintain control of the system so DF doesn't want to capture any of them.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Settlements added a lot of negative BGS levers and not a lot of positive ones. They're pretty much entirely vectors for attack. When Odyssey launched factions were given control of the new assets based on their total influence in a system, which in our case was uniformly high, so we got over 700 of the loving things. Add to this the fact that we're a lawless faction, which means people don't accrue bounties or risk being sent to prison by farming our settlements for feet materials. Basically everyone in the entire playerbase was showing up to kill our dudes and shut down our powerplants. Before launch week was out we were in 9 simultaneous wars, and new wars kept coming solidly for the following 6 months, it was exhausting and took a lot of pressure to get Fdev to rebalance... to the small extent they now have.

Luckily control for each settlement can be moved individually regardless of the overall outcome of a war, so by winning wars in space while fighting against ourselves on foot we've managed to whittle our total settlements down to just over 100, which has meant we've stabilised our systems and started expanding again... but it's still lose-lose for us if pubbies start interefering in our wars. Option 1 is the pubbies are fighting against us, which means we will likely lose control of the settlements in question (good) but they'll be handing in big stacks of combat bonds for our enemies, making the war harder to win (bad). Option 2 is they fight for us, making the war easier to win but lumbering us with continued settlement ownership which often leads to slipping straight back into war once the farming starts up again.

If it sounds confusing and dumb that's because it is.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks that cleared it up (namely the ‘why it’s bad even to fight for the DFs’ part)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tommy the Newt posted:

elite cmdr me: oh thank goodness [its not me]

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

quote:

Also a good thread title

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I know this is more of an identity question and maybe a bit rhetorical, but like, why not just not be a lawless faction? Why not just choose a government type or declare allegiance for the anime princess or something?

This is in reference to settlements.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

dialhforhero posted:

I know this is more of an identity question and maybe a bit rhetorical, but like, why not just not be a lawless faction? Why not just choose a government type or declare allegiance for the anime princess or something?

This is in reference to settlements.

Because 7 years ago when the faction was inserted into the game we couldn't have predicted that Fdev would make a lovely FPS module that specifically fucks us over, and now it's too late.

Diamond Frogs is a BGS minor faction that goons applied to have added into the game (through the PMF application process - along with many other groups over the years). It's not a Powerplay faction. Having spent the past entire lifespan of the game building and supporting the Diamond Frog minor faction you can see how it might be an unattractive proposition to just abandon ship and go support anime space princess with all the other space foot fetishists.

________

EDIT: A longer answer is that BGS balancing is also a systemic issue relevant to everyone playing the game. Without lawless systems and stations players lose access to certain features like interstellar factors services, the ability to buy ebreach modules, access to certain missions and places to source and sell certain goods. Even if we weren't specifically a PMF of that alignment it would be bad for the game's health if any given government type were eradicated - which is what was happening at initial Odyssey release (overall iirc almost a thousand anarchy systems were nuked, there are now only around 479 of them left which sounds like a lot, but given the size of the bubble it really isn't, and the ones that're left are only hanging on due to us having put an enormous amount of effort in, and sent shedloads of data to Frontier to demonstrate the systemic imbalance.)

This isn't the first time Fdev have needed to do balance passes to the BGS to make sure the ecosystem stays reasonable. It's never been perfect parity - Corporate factions are widely accepted to be the most 'powerful'. Even in 2015 it was known that running anarchy factions was harder due to them having fewer readily available positive "levers" (we can't collect bounties without a semi-exploit) as well as being the overwhelming target of lawful factions' combat missions.

Anarchies also came with upsides though - flipping a system to lawless is the single most significant change players can enact on the gameworld (in a game with such a profound lack of agency, this appeals to us). We also don't have to deal with our own NPC cops when killing players in our systems, etc.

Also yeah, it's an identity thing too. We get to be fun pirates with cool jackets killing indiscriminately and using unique tactics to expand our faction. That's way cooler than being some space blue-collar worker who ships endless printers for space Trump, or supports a boring corporate faction in a sea of other boring corporate factions.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 8, 2022

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

There should be an explicit "station rotation" toggle in your right hand panel iirc. Turning that on means your ship will stay in place relative to the station interior; there's not generally any reason to turn it off unless something bugs out and tries to stationkeep you to something that isn't a station.

Turns out that was on, and I was so focused on trying to dock that I didn't notice the station stopped spinning. I've gotten much better at docking these small ships!

I've upgraded my Eagle into a Vulture and it's just incredible :allears: I need to get the cash for better thrusters and, at some point, engineer the power plant for a bit more juice. I'm running double frag cannons right now -- need to engineer one of those to be incendiary too, for shields.
It felt very good to slam my face against a Dropship and shred it in a single trigger pull.

Currently I'm torn between getting credits to outfit a DBX so I can go exploring or figuring out how to get materials for engineering.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Engineering in general is going to require a fair amount of hiking around so having a DBX to get from any given point A to point B in a saner amount of time is generally going to be a good investment no matter how you slice it

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Currently there's a bug in Odyssey where ships' positional thrusters get reduced in power by an enormous amount around carriers and outposts, and the only known solution is to toggle rotational correction off, lol. It can make docking in the driftier ships like cutters nearly impossible. Otherwise yeah, there's no reason to ever touch that setting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tommy the Newt posted:

Currently there's a bug in Odyssey where ships' positional thrusters get reduced in power by an enormous amount around carriers and outposts, and the only known solution is to toggle rotational correction off, lol. It can make docking in the driftier ships like cutters nearly impossible. Otherwise yeah, there's no reason to ever touch that setting.
They should declare that bug a feature, because that sounds loving hilarious.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Tommy the Newt posted:

I thought something felt off....

It's super annoying that you don't even know something is broken until someone else tells you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

good lord at the rotational / thruster bug lol

+1 auto dock

FetalDave posted:

I thought something felt off....

It's super annoying that you don't even know something is broken until someone else tells you.

yea and even tho i shitpost here a lot, i dont really keep up on whats broken with the game in that specific way