Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the 3d didn't really work for me when i saw it in the theatre. but that was the case with almost all 3d movies. i remain convinced that the only movie that was ever improved by 3d technology was jackass 3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I watched Avatar in 3D like I watch all 3D movies, staring at a blurry screen because watching with the glasses on hurts my eyes.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Avatar's 3d effects were good for the 10 seconds or so that they used them for atmospheric stuff like sparks and particles in the foreground but got pretty bad when they tried making space dinosaurs pop out of the screen.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Truman Peyote posted:

the 3d didn't really work for me when i saw it in the theatre. but that was the case with almost all 3d movies. i remain convinced that the only movie that was ever improved by 3d technology was jackass 3d

Fair assessment

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya avatar actually did a really good job with the 3d iirc, granted that was like 15 years ago or however long.

Looks pretty stupid but as has been said it is James Cameron so it'll be entertaining at least (probably)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
James Hong is getting a star on Hollywood blvd

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’ll wait for an actual trailer before making any judgements. it looks great but the Zero Dark Navi poo poo was laughable, maybe some context will make it less so

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Crow posted:

Ya avatar actually did a really good job with the 3d iirc, granted that was like 15 years ago or however long.

Looks pretty stupid but as has been said it is James Cameron so it'll be entertaining at least (probably)

avatar came out in november 2009, so just over 13 years on release day. practically prehistory

e: my memory is wrong, it will be a few days short of 13 years

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2022

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

now that they own fox it is, but before that they spent a ton to transform a section of their park to be avatar land

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

James Hong is getting a star on Hollywood blvd

About time. What is he, ninety years old? And he's been in every movie ever made?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

qirex posted:

had they not seen return of the jedi or ferngully?

I remember when one of my friends was in film school he got an early draft of the script and he told me "it's 3.5 hours of the endor fight"

lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
leo fong is getting a star on hollywood blvd

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

TOOT BOOT posted:

iTunes is having a pretty good sale on Star Trek TV right now, TNG and the remastered TOS are $29.99 each, for the complete series

strange new worlds seems okay from the pilot. i kinda use my wife as a trek barometer (since she works in tv and i used to), and she fell asleep on it, which is about par for mediocre-to-bad trek.

she also couldn't get through the voyager premiere four times after pushing for us to watch it (because it's the most popular, apparently) until i decided i wasn't going to put up with janeway just so she could catch a nap. discovery was also sleep-inducing and we gave up like midway through season 3 because holy poo poo it is bad.

still infinitely better than the horrified reaction we both had to picard though. jfc, patrick stewart is too old to be wasted like this

i really don't get what the writers are doing. everything seems to be babbys first television script

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

I only watched a couple of S1 but at least half of these look good aesthetically.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

i really don't get what the writers are doing. everything seems to be babbys first television script
Mike from RLM said it best, imo: the writers are playing the telephone game and that's how the scripts get written.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Introduced my MiL to Terry Pratchett. She'd never read any fantasy before and accidentally got one of the wee free men books but loved it anyway and has read a bunch of the main series now too.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Chris Knight posted:

Mike from RLM said it best, imo: the writers are playing the telephone game and that's how the scripts get written.

it seems worse than that though, there's literally next to no consistency in action or motivation and characters frequently proclaim "I AM FEELING LIKE THIS" or "just in case you're a loving goldfish here's why we're doing x"

literally the only piece of new-trek i thought was genuinely good was the short treks ep "calypso", and unfortunately they went nowhere with the setup

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

avatar being hugely successful while having no memorable part is to its credit, one of the last big movies before every scene had to be micro-optimized to make a good clip to post online.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
people are paying attention to avatar 2 because this will be the third time that james cameron shepherded an insane grandiose passion project to completion against all objections and common sense and the last 2 times he did it it became the biggest box office draw in history

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i thought snw do 1 was pretty good. imo most of the treks old and new are about on par except for picard for being bad and lower decks for being surprisingly good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i thought snw do 1 was pretty good. imo most of the treks old and new are about on par except for picard for being bad and lower decks for being surprisingly good

lower decks is unfortunately pretty uneven but "i, excretus" should be required viewing for trek fans.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

avatar being hugely successful while having no memorable part is to its credit, one of the last big movies before every scene had to be micro-optimized to make a good clip to post online.

avatar's novelization, dances with wolves, is extremely memorable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

this is a fair assessment, but also into the spider-verse was incredible in 3d

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mediaphage posted:

it might be the best first episode of any trek series

(most trek shows take a while before they find their feet - if they ever do)

i liked it quite a bit - a lot of work and money was spent on the production design (and it showed), lots of easter eggs for horrible old trekkies (dr. mbenga! a saladin-class destroyer!), and the plot was as comfortable as a broken-in shoe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

I only watched a couple of S1 but at least half of these look good aesthetically.

i thought s1 was ok but s2 was bad. luckily ive lowered the bar for poo poo all year so i'll still watch this garbage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FMguru posted:

it might be the best first episode of any trek series

(most trek shows take a while before they find their feet - if they ever do)

i liked it quite a bit - a lot of work and money was spent on the production design (and it showed), lots of easter eggs for horrible old trekkies (dr. mbenga! a saladin-class destroyer!), and the plot was as comfortable as a broken-in shoe

encounter at fartpoint is really not as bad as people make it out to be, and the cage is a classic. emissary has some weird directorial choices but it's mostly watchable; caretaker is unalloyed garbage

moving on, the vulcan hello was interesting but the resulting season was disappointingly dumb. lower decks' first ep almost made me ditch the series

e: beyond the farthest star is good for what it is.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 9, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i agree lower decks ep 1 wasn’t great though i wonder if i’d like it now. i think i rank it so highly in part because i really really thought it was going to be just terrible and it isn’t at all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i agree lower decks ep 1 wasn’t great though i wonder if i’d like it now. i think i rank it so highly in part because i really really thought it was going to be just terrible and it isn’t at all

yeah, same, i'll probably reevaluate at some point when i'm bored but if memory serves the second season is a massive improvement over the first by ditching a lot of the "lol look it's this thing from that show loool"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i finished utopia. disappointing that they didn't make any more but i don't know what else they could've done. not going to bother with the american version which got canceled after one season instead of two.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Watched the 1st episode of that Mike Meyers Pentaverate show and it's pretty mediocre. Powerful Love Guru energy.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Watched the 1st episode of that Mike Meyers Pentaverate show and it's pretty mediocre. Powerful Love Guru energy.

lol i haven't seen a single even slightly positive review of that. strap in buddy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one review said it was clearly a movie script chopped up into six half-hour episodes, so yeah, buckle in

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

i think it took me till ep 4 for it to click

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lower decks is really hitting the sweetspot that they got to in TNG and DS9: some corny episodes, some episodes are way too treacly, and then a bunch of good ones. The characters are interesting enough and there is a lot of really boring motivations that drive the episodes which seems to be what is missing from discovery and picard. It's fine if the episode is just some farmer making a bunch of holograms because he accidentally murdered everyone on his planet. not every plot needs to be trying to stop a galaxy wide calamity.

I think moist vessel is a great example. It's not the best episode, the premise wouldn't be out of place in ds9 or tng (the captain of another vessel feels slighted, tries to swing his dick around and fucks everything up). It's not 100% attempts at jokes like the first few eps, and you get a random assortment of the crew doing things together.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

encounter at fartpoint is really not as bad as people make it out to be, and the cage is a classic. emissary has some weird directorial choices but it's mostly watchable; caretaker is unalloyed garbage

moving on, the vulcan hello was interesting but the resulting season was disappointingly dumb. lower decks' first ep almost made me ditch the series

e: beyond the farthest star is good for what it is.

lol i was trying not to forget a series and,

broken bow was not good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i haven't seen a single even slightly positive review of that. strap in buddy

https://www.avclub.com/pentaverate-review-netflix-mike-myers-1848889811

a B is positive, right?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

well, now i have

although it's kinda weird alot of the super annoying sounding things they highlight as positives were spotlighted as negatives in other reviews

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

well, now i have

although it's kinda weird alot of the super annoying sounding things they highlight as positives were spotlighted as negatives in other reviews

I wanted to give it a chance because I like Keegan-Michael Key but it just wasn't appealing at all to me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh wow it's almost like there were clues it wasn't gonna be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

I wanted to give it a chance because I like Keegan-Michael Key but it just wasn't appealing at all to me.

i feel like the fact that mike meyers has had vanishingly few co-stars might be instructive here