Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the pentaverate is pretty much just a bog standard mike meyers comedy, there’s a few decent jokes but it’s pretty weak overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Lower decks is the only star trek left where the writers:

* Unabashedly love star trek
* Have a sense of humor about how stupid that is
* Have a sense of humor in general
* Know the canon
* Know how to tell a story

If they can't make a TV show work, then the star trek ip was doomed anyway.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

RokosCockatrice posted:

Lower decks is the only star trek left where the writers:

* Unabashedly love star trek
* Have a sense of humor about how stupid that is
* Have a sense of humor in general
* Know the canon
* Know how to tell a story

If they can't make a TV show work, then the star trek ip was doomed anyway.

Going to see this now, thnx.

Ben Rodgers is a writer on LD, one of the best comedians ~40y/o from NYC. He hosts the Patreon podcast Action Boyz along with Jon Gabrus and Ryan Stanger (two more of those guys), and has great guest spots on Comedy Bang Bang. He's the Gooniest non-poster non-programmer I've ever seen, with a jaded personality straight out of YOSPOS

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m the Stanger of my friend group

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

indigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR2RU_NM5jM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
honestly though I feel like he should have better monkey stories

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

yeah that YT channel has much better+shorter clips, but the childlike glee of the most responsible guy on AB is charming

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

indigi posted:

I'm the Dutch Rudder of my friend group

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lower decks is really quite good. it gave me hope after the double farts of enterprise and discovery.

its a good thing they never like tried to reboot the films

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think one of the chris pine movies should really count as a wrath of khan remake

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Analytic Engine posted:

Going to see this now, thnx.

Ben Rodgers is a writer on LD, one of the best comedians ~40y/o from NYC. He hosts the Patreon podcast Action Boyz along with Jon Gabrus and Ryan Stanger (two more of those guys), and has great guest spots on Comedy Bang Bang. He's the Gooniest non-poster non-programmer I've ever seen, with a jaded personality straight out of YOSPOS

Beeftweeter posted:

lower decks is unfortunately pretty uneven but "i, excretus" should be required viewing for trek fans.

it definitely has its moments. if you're on the fence the ep i mentioned is hilarious, but there is actually a legit storyline throughout the series too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Truman Peyote posted:

i think one of the chris pine movies should really count as a wrath of khan remake

i'd be happy leaving it as a loop of rutherford's test from ^^

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

i watched Master and Commander again the other night after jonny mentioned it and it is wrath of khan remake imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

fun fact, the writer of star trek into darkness is a 9/11 truther and that's why the uss vengeance (god drat what a stupid ship design) does a 9/11 on san francisco

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

❤️☠️🤖

I only watched a couple of S1 but at least half of these look good aesthetically.

i really liked s1, and as already mentioned, s2 was pretty bleh

did david fincher leave for season 2? i remember he was a producer for s1

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i watched Master and Commander again the other night after jonny mentioned it and it is wrath of khan remake imo.

i gotta get on this, haven't seen it since it came out on dvd

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

i thought s1 was ok but s2 was bad. luckily ive lowered the bar for poo poo all year so i'll still watch this garbage

that show is a make work program to pad out animators demo reels. it’s not a real show

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

that show is a make work program to pad out animators demo reels. it’s not a real show

ya its mostly poo poo i wouldnt bother finishing if it was a youtube vid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

ya its mostly poo poo i wouldnt bother finishing if it was a youtube vid

it’s pretty and a few episodes are good but most of the episodes aren’t even really a story in a traditional sense

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just watch dust vids on YouTube imo

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

fun fact, the writer of star trek into darkness is a 9/11 truther and that's why the uss vengeance (god drat what a stupid ship design) does a 9/11 on san francisco

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

this is true and lmao i forgot that dumb loving thing was called uss vengeance

that movie was entertaining but, again, ultimately stupid, just like most JJ Abrams Adventures

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doing a rewatch of Vice Principals, going to watch Eastbound and Down next.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

see previous comment Re: Nick Meyer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Doing a rewatch of Vice Principals, going to watch Eastbound and Down next.

eastbound and down is great. it's simultaneously hilarious and depressing, and they do an excellent job of it

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

why are the trek people so hellbent on this prequel poo poo? like why are all the shows all set before original star trek? what's so cursed about wolf 359

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

why are the trek people so hellbent on this prequel poo poo? like why are all the shows all set before original star trek? what's so cursed about wolf 359

You can never create anything new, only reiterate on old concepts.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like everything post ds9 has been further and further back in the timeline besides like picard i guess. i watched two episodes each of all the modern trek shows before writing all of them off. lower decks was ok but im not getting paramount+ for it

the rest of modern trek is bad.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You plug your concept into the algorithm and it either tells you that idea has never been tested therefor making a movie or show questionable in profitability, or it spits out a script that will hit all the right targets for profitability.

So you end up with a product where none of the dialogue feels human, all the sets are cgi'd, and none of emotions that are trying to be portrayed feel real.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i miss 90s miramax movies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You plug your concept into the algorithm and it either tells you that idea has never been tested therefor making a movie or show questionable in profitability, or it spits out a script that will hit all the right targets for profitability.

So you end up with a product where none of the dialogue feels human, all the sets are cgi'd, and none of emotions that are trying to be portrayed feel real.
also on a practical level it's much easier to re-use previous aliens, character design, etc. than making something new which means it takes less time which means it costs less

on an unrelated note who's ready to see the exact same tattooine sets from boba fett used extensively in obi-wan and mando s3?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

like everything post ds9 has been further and further back in the timeline besides like picard i guess. i watched two episodes each of all the modern trek shows before writing all of them off. lower decks was ok but im not getting paramount+ for it

the rest of modern trek is bad.

i watched a few episodes of discovery season 3 and it takes place in the 33rd (i guess?) century. it was also dumb and bad, so i stopped.

for example they co-opted the trills into something that can assimilate a human host with no problems at all, while maintaining the "symbionts are only for specials" poo poo they ditched in ds9. oh, also all dilithium everywhere exploded simultaneously, killing a ton of people and making warp a luxury because...?

i mean i never particularly liked the trill, and i find jadzia insufferable, but if you're going to adopt something from ds9 at least maintain some consistency about it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

also on a practical level it's much easier to re-use previous aliens, character design, etc. than making something new which means it takes less time which means it costs less

yet they keep loving changing them anyway. see also: TOS klingons, movie klingons, TNG klingons, jjtrek klingons, discovery klingons

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

whats dumber is they arent even doing that with the constant klingon redesigns and fancier and clfancier looking ships

though i think the klingon redesign is an attempt to get people to stop yelling at them about blackface without actually having to hire black actors

e: beef :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

except they've literally redesigned everything. disco (and snw) doesn't even use the ship designs from the jj trek movies

Beeftweeter posted:

oh, also all dilithium everywhere exploded simultaneously, killing a ton of people and making warp a luxury because...?
this is literally the overarching plot of the season. watch through and you'll find out why! but don't actually do this because it's not good.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

this is literally the overarching plot of the season. watch through and you'll find out why! but don't actually do this because it's not good.

yeah i can't say that didn't factor into my decision to stop. it seemed like a deus ex to make the federation fall apart and let me guess: of course discovery is there to save the galaxy and pull everyone back together in the end, convincing isolationist holdouts to join hands and jerk each other off

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

otoh tendi on lower decks having to help a klingon commit ritualistic suicide is one of my favorite sequences in all of trek. you must help me kill myself, i broke my back picking up a peanut

"that's it, call it. time of life: 0900."

NOOOOOOOO

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I really want to watch Lower Decks but don't want to pay for Paramount+ or whatever streaming service it's on.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I really want to watch Lower Decks but don't want to pay for Paramount+ or whatever streaming service it's on.

i just keep re-upping the free trial. it's not hard to find codes that extend it to several months

e: after that you can link it to the apple tv app so you don't have to use paramount's hot garbage website

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

except they've literally redesigned everything. disco (and snw) doesn't even use the ship designs from the jj trek movies

Beeftweeter posted:

yet they keep loving changing them anyway. see also: TOS klingons, movie klingons, TNG klingons, jjtrek klingons, discovery klingons

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

whats dumber is they arent even doing that with the constant klingon redesigns and fancier and clfancier looking ships
you're not thinking cynically enough: the reduced costs are for the writers, ip clearance, and legal/trademark, etc.

production designers and makeup folks are cheap, lawyers cost real money