Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

thank you, also i forgot how terrible the source material was

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

:hmmyes:🚽

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

right?! whole thing is so good

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

bulgey dongle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the webb space telescope is producing its first test images. here it is compared to the previous best IR space telescope, the spitzer:

seems pretty good! i like knowing that there are still good things happening.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
everything about the webb is amazing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it is.

check out this video from a guy who built a 3d printed copy of the actuators that move the JWST's mirrors. using a single stepper motor and some incredibly clever and cool engineering, it can drive its segment of the mirror back and forth a couple of inches with 8 nanometer precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxH1sfJLBQ

the zero-backlash flexure that achieves the final precision totally geometrically, like an old fashioned reducing pantograph, is just so drat cool.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the webb space telescope is producing its first test images. here it is compared to the previous best IR space telescope, the spitzer:

oh snap i meant to circle back and see what the pics were like. i like looking at daily satellite and underwater feeds, whatever the internet got. so this is a nice addition

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

everything about the webb is amazing

'cept maybe its name

https://www.space.com/nasa-james-webb-space-telescope-name-controversy-investigation

looking forward to the science from it still

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yeah it is.

check out this video from a guy who built a 3d printed copy of the actuators that move the JWST's mirrors. using a single stepper motor and some incredibly clever and cool engineering, it can drive its segment of the mirror back and forth a couple of inches with 8 nanometer precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxH1sfJLBQ

the zero-backlash flexure that achieves the final precision totally geometrically, like an old fashioned reducing pantograph, is just so drat cool.

idk if that’s the same video I watched but I saw one where they replicated the mechanism and it’s totally ingenious to be able to incorporate course and fine adjustment from a single axis of drive like that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

YES

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

far away from this planet at least!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

NoneMoreNegative posted:

'cept maybe its name

the other one is called the spitzer lmao

i don't know who it's really named after but to me that always conjures a certain ex-governor that liked prostitutes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also wow 0.3 microns makes a huge difference

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Agile Vector posted:

right?! whole thing is so good

please, i already intensely regret selling the one i used to have, this is too much :negative:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

i once stayed in a house in rural france (airbnb) and it had a wc that only had a toilet

the bathroom was down the hall and had the sink, bidet, and shower/bath

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

i once stayed in a house in rural france (airbnb) and it had a wc that only had a toilet

so do you shuffle to the bidet or

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

it's very common in Europe to have an extra toilet room in houses and decently sized flats. often referred to as guest toilet. what's really strange though is that not all of them have sinks and some only sinks with cold water.
It's probably has something to do with old buildings and how they were retrofitted with pipes for running water.
most buildings here are built out of bricks or reinforced concrete, so remodeling them is a lot more Labour and time intensive than in the US. Replacing pipes alone is often a big challenge and rerouting them can require getting the consent by multiple parties as very often the Appartements are individually owned.

Our current apartment is in a 4 story building from 1860 that had its last floor and attic converted to 3 two-story units. We just moved into one of those new units and got a bathroom with a bathtub (and shower head), toilet, bidet, sink for 2 people + another small room containing a toilet with a small sink.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Antlerhill posted:

toilet and bathroom are euphemisms too

shitter is the only word if you want to be direct

too ambiguous, could mean the toilet or your butthole

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

too ambiguous, could mean the toilet or your butthole

same issue that "poop chute" has in theory but if you say you're gonna drop a log in your buddy's poop chute there are some terrifying but fascinating scatological implications there that early 2000s goons would commission an AVI file of

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sorry I have to excuse myself to use the swaproom

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have never seen a EU toilet without a sink. I have seen old city apartments where they have retrofitted a toilet and sink into an actual tiny closet. In buildings that are old enough that they used to have outhouses in the courtyard or shared bathrooms in the basement.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

the panacea posted:

it's very common in Europe to have an extra toilet room in houses and decently sized flats. often referred to as guest toilet. what's really strange though is that not all of them have sinks and some only sinks with cold water.
It's probably has something to do with old buildings and how they were retrofitted with pipes for running water.
i'm not really sure about other countries in western europe, but if you live in the netherlands, lol if your house only has one toilet and it's located in the bathroom which is typically upstairs

cold water in toilet (actual wc) sinks is typically just cold in newer houses as well over here, but i don't see what's so strange about it. you really don't need hot water to clean your hands and frankly i've always found it a bit weird when people turn up the heat for that anyway

if nothing else it seems like a useful restriction in this day and age of needing to conserve energy consumption

anway here's a pic of me and my wc

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I honestly wished they kept the scenes where Valerian got his companion from the French Countryside in the 19th century though.

iirc she was from the middle ages

the movie was unfortunately not very good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sombrerotron posted:

cold water in toilet (actual wc) sinks is typically just cold in newer houses as well over here, but i don't see what's so strange about it. you really don't need hot water to clean your hands and frankly i've always found it a bit weird when people turn up the heat for that anyway

if nothing else it seems like a useful restriction in this day and age of needing to conserve energy consumption

hot water helps kill bacteria

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

weird poo poo about the G4 iMac:

• it took both DIMM and SODIMM memory (the DIMM was "internal" to the unit behind some Torx or Security Torx screws, forget which),the SODIMM was considered user-serviceable and behind 4 captive Philips head screws in the baseplate. If you look at the picture below, think of the user-serviceable area as being a thin plate under the unit, whereas the "internal" area is splitting the bottom half of the ball off of the rest of it where the two pieces join (the seam under the optical drive).
• the service kit available to Apple service providers included a foam rig for holding the display in the correct service position and a tool to release the screws on the neck - these screws had three holes arranged in a triangular pattern and like anything properly Apple were hilariously proprietary.
• the NSW RTA (think DMV) at one point replaced most (all?) of their workstations with 15" iMac G4s, so I'm guessing they were reliable enough.
• the 20" iMac G4 is objectively one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design I think I've ever seen. I mean, they all look pretty good but something about the bigger screen really gets the proportions spot-on

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 10, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol i had forgotten about it, drat it was a great thread

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Doc Block posted:

hot water helps kill bacteria
if you're washing your hands with boiling water for a while, sure, but i'm a little doubtful that washing your hands with regular hot water for 10 seconds tops (which is probably a generous estimate - i mostly see people taking only a few seconds) will seriously hurt bacteria

the most important thing is obviously soaping up properly, and also if you're really that concerned about bacteria you'll make sure either to use a non-/single-touch faucet or clean the handle after turning on the water because otherwise you're just grabbing hold of something just fondled by dirty hands (possibly someone else's at that). i'm pretty sure basically nobody ever even thinks about that, though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sombrerotron posted:

if you're washing your hands with boiling water for a while, sure, but i'm a little doubtful that washing your hands with regular hot water for 10 seconds tops (which is probably a generous estimate - i mostly see people taking only a few seconds) will seriously hurt bacteria

the most important thing is obviously soaping up properly, and also if you're really that concerned about bacteria you'll make sure either to use a non-/single-touch faucet or clean the handle after turning on the water because otherwise you're just grabbing hold of something just fondled by dirty hands (possibly someone else's at that). i'm pretty sure basically nobody ever even thinks about that, though

The purpose of hot water when washing hands is not to kill bacteria, but to loosen the oils that can harbor bacteria. The soap kills the bacteria by destroying the cell walls.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sarcastx posted:

weird poo poo about the G4 iMac:

• it took both DIMM and SODIMM memory (the DIMM was "internal" to the unit behind some Torx or Security Torx screws, forget which),the SODIMM was considered user-serviceable and behind 4 captive Philips head screws in the baseplate. If you look at the picture below, think of the user-serviceable area as being a thin plate under the unit, whereas the "internal" area is splitting the bottom half of the ball off of the rest of it where the two pieces join (the seam under the optical drive).
• the service kit available to Apple service providers included a foam rig for holding the display in the correct service position and a tool to release the screws on the neck - these screws had three holes arranged in a triangular pattern and like anything properly Apple were hilariously proprietary.
• the NSW RTA (think DMV) at one point replaced most (all?) of their workstations with 15" iMac G4s, so I'm guessing they were reliable enough.
• the 20" iMac G4 is objectively one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design I think I've ever seen. I mean, they all look pretty good but something about the bigger screen really gets the proportions spot-on

torx. it was definitely torx. i remember having to unscrew the comically large metal lid on the bottom afterwards to install 802.11b.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

mister x was super good imo
i got the Hernandez brothers to sign my issue #1, in complete ignorance of how they were treated by the publisher. oops! lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also the G5 imac owned too, but the design is a bit boring imo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CommieGIR posted:

The purpose of hot water when washing hands is not to kill bacteria, but to loosen the oils that can harbor bacteria. The soap kills the bacteria by destroying the cell walls.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Hot water is very helpful if you're trying to shave.

Also you will need some hot water piped in to avoid having freezing cold water in the winter. people tend to wash more thoroughly if they're given warm water to work with versus plain "as cold as it gets".

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

more olde yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

ya when i was at school there the place i stayed had an explicit wc, and still called that