Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
it's pretty common in france to have a dedicated room for the toilets (people call it WC or toilets or more colloquially "chiottes")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

mediaphage posted:

ya when i was at school there the place i stayed had an explicit wc, and still called that

wayside chapel?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

more olde yospos

lol I forgot about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkIe8Cwmqk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Animal Friend posted:

wayside chapel?
wanking chamber

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

FMguru posted:

wanking chamber

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Kenny Logins posted:

Hot water is very helpful if you're trying to shave.

Also you will need some hot water piped in to avoid having freezing cold water in the winter. people tend to wash more thoroughly if they're given warm water to work with versus plain "as cold as it gets".
i'm not sure if you interpreted my comments as "why use hot water at all", i was just talking about the absence of hot water in dutch toilets/WCs

obviously there's access to hot water in proper bathrooms and obviously the vast majority of people (myself included) make liberal use of it

Zlodo posted:

it's pretty common in france to have a dedicated room for the toilets (people call it WC or toilets or more colloquially "chiottes")
little fun fact: most everyone in the netherlands says toilet (pronounced in the french manner) because they think it's the "proper" word for it, but it's actually the pleb way of saying it; if you're old money or read up on etiquette, you'll say wc

in fact quite a few french loanwords are often inaccurately believed to be what you should use if you're polite and cultured, e.g. the proper word for suit is "pak", not "kostuum" as many think; trousers are a "broek", not a "pantalon"; a wristwatch is a "klokje", not a "horloge"; the kerb is the "stoep", not the "trottoir"; etc.

unsure about the providence of that socio-linguistic convention, but i suspect it came about after we had to suffer french extortion and rule from the late 1700s through the early 1800s

anyway thank you for coming to my ted talk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

lol I forgot about this

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

do they use a french word for oven

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

FMguru posted:

wanking chamber

apparently the house record for the boarders at my school was 17 seconds.

it was a close competition but one of the guys from the rowing team edged out the competition.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gently caress, when boyce hits, he hits hard

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sapozhnik posted:

modern sanitation has done more to save lives and increase life expectancy than basically any other invention other than maybe the bosch-haber process. almost certainly more than penicillin.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*readies sewage treatment plant posts for sewagechat*

https://twitter.com/neorsd/status/1520549997376413701

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

waiting for some other sewer twitter account to post "hello, poo-man" with some emoji that communicates revulsion and probably also the poop emoji i guess

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/neorsd/status/1518673368144302086

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s the yoscanoe

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

same

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

man i wish i could find the rest of these

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

sarcastx posted:

weird poo poo about the G4 iMac:

• it took both DIMM and SODIMM memory (the DIMM was "internal" to the unit behind some Torx or Security Torx screws, forget which),the SODIMM was considered user-serviceable and behind 4 captive Philips head screws in the baseplate. If you look at the picture below, think of the user-serviceable area as being a thin plate under the unit, whereas the "internal" area is splitting the bottom half of the ball off of the rest of it where the two pieces join (the seam under the optical drive).
• the service kit available to Apple service providers included a foam rig for holding the display in the correct service position and a tool to release the screws on the neck - these screws had three holes arranged in a triangular pattern and like anything properly Apple were hilariously proprietary.
• the NSW RTA (think DMV) at one point replaced most (all?) of their workstations with 15" iMac G4s, so I'm guessing they were reliable enough.
• the 20" iMac G4 is objectively one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design I think I've ever seen. I mean, they all look pretty good but something about the bigger screen really gets the proportions spot-on

i have a bedside lamp made from one of these bad boys:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i have a bedside lamp made from one of these bad boys:

unorthodox birth control

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

dont dox me

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

I didn't realize newspapers would print that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wife made this for a work project and told me to post it (don't ask what the project is) :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sewer twitter is redundant

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

sewer twitter is redundant

https://twitter.com/neorsd/status/1518252684272443399

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/cursedPC/status/1524116823066779654

you have a computer for loving??

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

here comes fyad

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

these are the people the designers of the original xbox controller had in mind

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lot of text posting in the pictures thread @_@

https://twitter.com/Lefty_Jew/status/1523874686647422977?cxt=HHwWgsCivYT98aUqAAAA

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sombrerotron posted:

i'm not sure if you interpreted my comments as "why use hot water at all", i was just talking about the absence of hot water in dutch toilets/WCs

"Sombrerotron posted:

you really don't need hot water to clean your hands and frankly i've always found it a bit weird when people turn up the heat for that anyway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

canyoneer posted:

these are the people the designers of the original xbox controller had in mind

xbox is hueg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Great. Alegria in motion. loving fan-tastic.

brb gonna take a nap in front of the light rail.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Great. Alegria in motion. loving fan-tastic.

brb gonna take a nap in front of the light rail.

i thought of u when i posted it ;-)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my favorite piece of alegria

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001