Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Jonny 290 posted:

oh did you miss it?

commence collar tuggin and brow wipin

which one is smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

oh did you miss it?

commence collar tuggin and brow wipin

the merger of goth ihop and femboy hooters was noted as the turning point in recorded history that lead to world peace

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

which one is smythe

out of frame getting his balls crushed by a pair of platform boots

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SO DEMANDING posted:

out of frame getting his balls crushed by a pair of platform boots

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kazinsal posted:

the merger of goth ihop and femboy hooters was noted as the turning point in recorded history that lead to world peace

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kazinsal posted:

Gothop and Fembooters, LLP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I’m trad now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

21:9 ultrawide is the ideal monitor aspect ratio because it more naturally approximates our eyes' field of view. also deus ex knew it was the way of the future back in 2000.

i have one 34" 21:9 with a healthy pixel pitch (110 dpi) and if i got a second monitor i would probably just get another one of the same to mount above it, for a 7:6 near square field. that seems pretty cool.

unironically agree

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
jc dendon

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

qirex posted:

they had to add new decimal places for crypto [I think we're up to 12?] on the accounting system I work on and that was a major project

lol :allears:

what a world

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

haha such a treat

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bulgakov posted:

haha such a treat

my favourite fact about that video is it was an internally produced video for an executive presentation that got leaked. this is them trying to reverse engineer how not to be so poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

my favourite fact about that video is it was an internally produced video for an executive presentation that got leaked. this is them trying to reverse engineer how not to be so poo poo

highly doubt this

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Smythe posted:

highly doubt this

it is 100% an internal ms thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

in a well actually posted:

it is 100% an internal ms thing

iirc it was for a holiday party or some poo poo though, and when they watched it were like hmm, our packaging actually does suck

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
so after trying the Dell XPS 17, MSI Creator Pro 17 and Asus ProArt StudioBook, I grabbed the base model 16" M1 MBP and holy poo poo, this is as much of a leap forward for laptops as the original unibody MacBook Pros

that said I think I'm gonna send it back and hope for a 32GB base model M2 announced at WWDC as 16GB on a $3500 laptop with an 8GB OS memory footprint is ridiculous - that said if anyone has a link to battery life on the 16" models between the base 16GB model and the Max with 64GB I'd love to see it

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
do any creative types here use an iPad with Pencil to control Photoshop or ZBrush with Sidecar? they're gonna let me swap my license from Windows to Mac, I'd be interested to know how good or bad the experience is compared to a Cintiq Pro

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Internaut! posted:

so after trying the Dell XPS 17, MSI Creator Pro 17 and Asus ProArt StudioBook, I grabbed the base model 16" M1 MBP and holy poo poo, this is as much of a leap forward for laptops as the original unibody MacBook Pros

that said I think I'm gonna send it back and hope for a 32GB base model M2 announced at WWDC as 16GB on a $3500 laptop with an 8GB OS memory footprint is ridiculous - that said if anyone has a link to battery life on the 16" models between the base 16GB model and the Max with 64GB I'd love to see it

buying a m1 mac (not an ios device) right now would be pretty dumb, yeah. why do you need such a large laptop anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Internaut! posted:

do any creative types here use an iPad with Pencil to control Photoshop or ZBrush with Sidecar? they're gonna let me swap my license from Windows to Mac, I'd be interested to know how good or bad the experience is compared to a Cintiq Pro

my wife does, mostly with illustrator. she hates sidecar though and eventually went back to her wacom thing

i tried it myself with photoshop and i can see why. it's hard as poo poo to use keyboard shortcuts at the same time and the crap ui doesn't help

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I think you're gonna be waiting a loooooong time for Apple to sell 32 GB of RAM as a base amount on a MacBook Pro..

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Beeftweeter posted:

why do you need such a large laptop anyway

why would I want a smaller screen when I can get a larger one?

Beeftweeter posted:

my wife does, mostly with illustrator. she hates sidecar though and eventually went back to her wacom thing

i tried it myself with photoshop and i can see why. it's hard as poo poo to use keyboard shortcuts at the same time and the crap ui doesn't help

ask her if she ever used it with one hand on the keyboard, that's how I've always used my Wacom, maybe she has one of the fancy ones with all sorts of buttons

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh noooo looook out here comes the return of Pippin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwXZexgYx0k

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

ipod touch refresh lookin’ good timb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Internaut! posted:

ask her if she ever used it with one hand on the keyboard, that's how I've always used my Wacom, maybe she has one of the fancy ones with all sorts of buttons

because big laptops are unwieldy and you can get a 13 or 14" with 4K?

she does have a rather large wacom with several buttons but iirc it's pretty old. i was referring to using keyboard shortcuts on the ipad when using sidecar and an apple pencil: it predictably sucks.

using the apple pencil with actual ios apps is great though. i moonlight as a pro photographer and use pixelmator/pixelmator photo with it and it makes edits super easy to do accurately

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

lol apple is out of ideas

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

can’t wait to start sidetalkin into the new ngage 3

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i'm the dumb as hell oled carve-out that can definitely be placed somewhere else

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

can’t wait to start sidetalkin into the new ngage 3

someone in tyool 2022 recently ported sdl2 to the ngage so they could put wordle on it
this is real

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol apple is out of ideas

what?

i mean, they might be, but that's some design student's concept render for a product that will probably never exist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple would sell you a large ceramic bowl if they thought it would make them loads of money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internaut! posted:

depends on why you're using a laptop i suppose

imo, it's meant to be portable, so smaller and lighter is preferable, if you need a larger screen, hook it up to a dock and a desktop display. obviously not everyone prioritizes the same things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Binary Badger posted:

idgaf about this hosed up thing but i absolutely cannot tolerate the way that dude talks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

apple would sell you a large ceramic bowl if they thought it would make them loads of money

sure they would, but jumping straight to "well crapple's done it again" every time someone posts some hollywood upstairs design school graduate's concept render for a product based off one of a million patent fillings apple filed last year is a bit dumb.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm mostly excited that enough time has passed that we're doing the "no seriously THIS TIME apple's taking video games seriously!" thing again, the switch pro of apple rumours

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

sure they would, but jumping straight to "well crapple's done it again" every time someone posts some hollywood upstairs design school graduate's concept render for a product based off one of a million patent fillings apple filed last year is a bit dumb.

are you just jealous you didn’t do it

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Internaut! posted:

sidecar is extremely bad for actual creative work because the pressure curve is unadjustable and super aggressive (like, max pressure causes discoloration on the screen and will 100% give you RSI). the compression and color management also leave something to be desired if that's important to you.

I use Astropad ($80/year) and it's much better than sidecar. if you want it to work as a separate monitor instead of just as a screen mirror then you'll need to use BetterDummy to set up a virtual display, but it's pretty easy.

https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDummy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

idgaf about this hosed up thing but i absolutely cannot tolerate the way that dude talks

ugh he said "libary" unironically, this fuckin dude

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm just mildly annoyed every time someone posts dumb poo poo created by apple fans or some clickbait "leak" site

it's like making fun of spacex for the concept starship drawings musk stans made. they're stupid, but also completely unconnected to anything the company is actually doing*

*what they were actually doing was in fact much, much dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

for real they are clearly out of ideas though