Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

"I keep wondering... have I broken the vessel?"

one of my favorite lines in the entire series. sometimes the writers get a bit too cute with fancy dialogue for my taste but they really nail it here. It's just so crunchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:discourse: screenshot

I love everything about California Pete

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Canter's is loving incredible.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Cali Pete is a gift.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

California Pete is a legend

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Benagain posted:

I believe when Peggy's telling the kid that his mom's flushing "things" she's referring to tampons, not drugs. Presumably these are new tenants.

I assumed diapers, either would be terrible.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I always thought it was tampons...

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Actually thinking about it, were disposable diapers even a thing then.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yes, but I do not think that someone in the socioeconomic bracket that would be renting from Peggy would have been buying them

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

don isnt sitting in the cold because hes flagellant. hes doing it because hes trying to feel anything at all. he tried multiple things from his old bag of tricks across all the spheres of his life, for getting validation from megan (scarves, tv, sex), hes playing cyrano with freddie looking for a professional validation still, hes surprisingly emotionally honest with the plane woman and does start out flirty with her. but none of it actually works for him, because hes numb. the scarves are too small a gift. the tv backfires. the sex is reluctant. theres always something lost in translation with the freddie pitches. he doesnt even bother with the flight lady because the subtext is that hes been trying that and it doesnt pan out. he literally doesnt notice the freezing cold of the open doors. don sitting outside at the end of the episode is him acknowledging that hes numb, and that it worries him on some level. whether he knows why, or what he can do about it, are the questions of the season.

also cali pete is a king that deserves respect. also julio supremacy, absolutely love that kid

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

Still, he insists that he wants to get one thing out of the way first, something very important to him... he wants Don to know that the man who is spending all this time with HIS wife... is purely in it for greed. Megan gives a quiet chuckle, Alan beams out his "charm", and Don... simply smiles broadly at this seedy, mildly campy little man with his lovely mustache and states confidently,"I am completely at ease."

I think the audience is meant to interpret Don's line as a comedy beat; Alan is coded as gay so obviously Don would have nothing to worry about regarding infidelity

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Benagain posted:

I believe when Peggy's telling the kid that his mom's flushing "things" she's referring to tampons, not drugs. Presumably these are new tenants.

Yeah, for sure.

Also did that real estate woman look like Betty or what

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp I read that line about not flushing things completely wrong then it seems like!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, for sure.

Also did that real estate woman look like Betty or what

Oh man she totally did :doh:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Solkanar512 posted:

Canter's is loving incredible.

Their bagels are still garbage IMO.

There are honestly very few "good" bagels to be had in LA even 50 years later. Pete is still correct. Bagel Broker, a couple blocks from Canter's, is better but merely ok. It's one of the worst parts about Los Angeles.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

nyc doesnt hold a candle to montreal anyways. its all about the water, baybee. aint makin no good bagel in a fuckin desert

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

nyc doesnt hold a candle to montreal anyways. its all about the water, baybee. aint makin no good bagel in a fuckin desert

Montreal bagels are better than NYC bagels for like the first 15 minutes after they're made. but they are pretty trash once they cool imo and don't reheat well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bagels are highly overrated
English muffins are way worse though.
Croissants are the breakfast bread of choice for the real ones

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Paper Lion posted:

also cali pete is a king that deserves respect. also julio supremacy, absolutely love that kid

Kid is awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

don isnt sitting in the cold because hes flagellant. hes doing it because hes trying to feel anything at all. he tried multiple things from his old bag of tricks across all the spheres of his life, for getting validation from megan (scarves, tv, sex), hes playing cyrano with freddie looking for a professional validation still, hes surprisingly emotionally honest with the plane woman and does start out flirty with her. but none of it actually works for him, because hes numb. the scarves are too small a gift. the tv backfires. the sex is reluctant. theres always something lost in translation with the freddie pitches. he doesnt even bother with the flight lady because the subtext is that hes been trying that and it doesnt pan out. he literally doesnt notice the freezing cold of the open doors. don sitting outside at the end of the episode is him acknowledging that hes numb, and that it worries him on some level. whether he knows why, or what he can do about it, are the questions of the season.

I really like this interpretation, and it's a completely valid way of looking at it.

For me though, everything about this scene screams that Don is playing the victim, which doesn't negate either take on whether he's just trying to feel something or he's trying to punish himself. I think the choice of song is extremely apt:

Set me free why don't ya babe
Get out of my life why don't ya babe
'cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on

Why do you keep a comin' around
Playing with my heart
Why don't ya get out of my life
And let me make a brand new start
Let me get over you
The way you've gotten over me yeah

This is a plaintive lament about somebody who is being done wrong. Somebody who is having these things happen to them, from some external force that is outside of their control and making their life miserable. But while that might be the way Don feels, it isn't the way things are. He is the one responsible for all this, these are the consequences of HIS actions, the direct result of his choices and his decisions. Even telling Lee that he really thought he could make it (his marriage) work this time is him making out that the collapse of the marriage is not just inevitable but somehow outside of his control.

So whether he's trying to feel something (anything!) or he's indulging in suffering because life is so mean to poor little Don Draper, I repeat my statement: Boo loving hoo :colbert:

Paper Lion posted:

also julio supremacy, absolutely love that kid

Absolutely. "BECAUSE YOU NEVER LISTEN!" was a great line.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Croissants are highly overrated
English muffins are way worse though.
Bagels are the breakfast bread of choice for the real ones

fixed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

so to be clear, you take issue with how Don's situation is framed? Do you think the show isn't being critical enough of his actions? Or are you frustrated that Don the character is apparently unable to take responsibility for his actions?

E: do you think Don is a sympathetic character? Someone deserving of pity? I'm not looking for a particular answer, and I don't think there's a right answer, I'm just trying to understand your conception of the character and of the show at this point in your viewing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kalel posted:

so to be clear, you take issue with how Don's situation is framed? Do you think the show isn't being critical enough of his actions? Or are you frustrated that Don the character is apparently unable to take responsibility for his actions?

The latter. The show is a masterpiece of showing just how incredibly flawed Don is despite the seemingly perfect exterior, which of course is absolutely in keeping with the fact this is (on the surface) a show about advertising. My frustration with Don isn't an indictment of the writing or the actor, but a testament to how much the show has succeeded in making me feel strongly about the characters.

In case I haven't made it clear in my many, many, many words about it.... I loving love Mad Men, it has been a phenomenal experience and I feel sad it is getting so close to the end of the ride.

Edit: And I do pity Don, even if I get mad at him and condemn his actions. That was part of what worked well in season 6, we see him at his worst but we get given a couple of key insights into trauma from his childhood that explains so much about why he is the way he is.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ah okay, because the way you write tends to make me feel like it's the show itself that's frustrating you

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerusalem posted:

I really like this interpretation, and it's a completely valid way of looking at it.

For me though, everything about this scene screams that Don is playing the victim, which doesn't negate either take on whether he's just trying to feel something or he's trying to punish himself. I think the choice of song is extremely apt:

Set me free why don't ya babe
Get out of my life why don't ya babe
'cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on

Why do you keep a comin' around
Playing with my heart
Why don't ya get out of my life
And let me make a brand new start
Let me get over you
The way you've gotten over me yeah

This is a plaintive lament about somebody who is being done wrong. Somebody who is having these things happen to them, from some external force that is outside of their control and making their life miserable. But while that might be the way Don feels, it isn't the way things are. He is the one responsible for all this, these are the consequences of HIS actions, the direct result of his choices and his decisions. Even telling Lee that he really thought he could make it (his marriage) work this time is him making out that the collapse of the marriage is not just inevitable but somehow outside of his control.

So whether he's trying to feel something (anything!) or he's indulging in suffering because life is so mean to poor little Don Draper, I repeat my statement: Boo loving hoo :colbert:

Absolutely. "BECAUSE YOU NEVER LISTEN!" was a great line.

isn't it from the perspective of megan and peggy too?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always loved the "Don isn't in the start of the episode, oh wait actually, he is" trick in this episode even if it is very cute.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

one of my favorite season openers. if you watched this show as it aired there was almost a full year of downtime, so imagine the wait finally ending and the first thing you see is freddy rumsen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sebmojo posted:

isn't it from the perspective of megan and peggy too?

It only really kicks in on Don, though Peggy's scene immediately precedes it. I think her own scene stands in closer parallel to Joan's though, as we see Joan finding success, acceptance and work satisfaction while Peggy is getting the complete opposite experience.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I love season 7. I love all of them but I think this season is actually a little underrated. The first half is incredible IMO.

A few general thoughts on s7

Upon watching this as it aired I was hoping that don’s “breakthrough” at the end of season 6 would be the driving force of this season. I was rooting hard for him to work things out with Megan. Upon revisiting the show it is extremely clear that the relationship is toast and neither of them want to be the first to admit it.

I still think it’s a lovely bit of writing that Don hasn’t told Megan about the paid leave firing. It doesn’t track to me regardless of their relationship status. People accused the show of turning into a bit of a soap opera in the last two seasons and I always thought that was a stupid criticism but it comes off like a dumb contrivance to me.

California Pete rules. I LOVE that as soon as he goes back to New York with Bonnie things go to poo poo. This also makes the reunion with Trudy a bit more optimistic imo. The city is a corrupting influence on the man.

not great bob
Jan 1, 2022

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Upon watching this as it aired I was hoping that don’s “breakthrough” at the end of season 6 would be the driving force of this season. I was rooting hard for him to work things out with Megan. Upon revisiting the show it is extremely clear that the relationship is toast and neither of them want to be the first to admit it.

I still think it’s a lovely bit of writing that Don hasn’t told Megan about the paid leave firing. It doesn’t track to me regardless of their relationship status. People accused the show of turning into a bit of a soap opera in the last two seasons and I always thought that was a stupid criticism but it comes off like a dumb contrivance to me.

Don can’t tell Megan about the leave because then he actually would have to be the first to admit their relationship is over. If he isn’t at SC&P, he has absolutely no reason not to move to LA and try to work things out, which neither of them really wants.

not great bob fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 12, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

not great bob posted:

Don can’t tell Megan about the leave because then he actually would have to be the first to admit their relationship is over. If he isn’t at SC&P, he has absolutely no reason to not move to LA and try to work things out, which neither of them really wants to.

ahh yes yep

not sure that needs to be spoilered, it's p much text

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I love season 7. I love all of them but I think this season is actually a little underrated. The first half is incredible IMO.

A few general thoughts on s7

California Pete rules. I LOVE that as soon as he goes back to New York with Bonnie things go to poo poo. This also makes the reunion with Trudy a bit more optimistic imo. The city is a corrupting influence on the man.

I always figured Don just went with a fake it until you make it. He has a rather large bank account, so he could afford to look busy a lot while unemployed. That actually seems like the most normal thing about his reaction.

He was dealing with people offering him large sums of money to work for him before he poo poo the bed. So Don thinking he could get another well paying job before it became an issue, isn't that far-fetched.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 12, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really enjoy the opening shot in LA. it does such a good job of projecting the image Don want his marriage to be like, which we then see is such a stark contrast to the reality of it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

:siren: serious big-time finale spoilers do not click! :siren:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

:hmmyes:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

___________________________________________________________nice______________________________________________________

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

kalel posted:

Ah okay, because the way you write tends to make me feel like it's the show itself that's frustrating you

fwiw I don't get the vibe, but i know you're just saying it's the vibe you're picking up

i definitely get don dug his hole and aint helping poo poo by lying to his wife, but i really feel for him in this episode. once again, i walk away genuinely thinking he's really trying, like in the s6 finale. he's not doing perfect. but he's not stopping looking at himself, either.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R. Guyovich posted:

It took me like a year to put the HUM connection together.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

on yet another rewatch, somehow only just now noticed in s5 e2 lane telling dolores on the phone "ill be in this office the rest of my life" :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

on yet another rewatch, somehow only just now noticed in s5 e2 lane telling dolores on the phone "ill be in this office the rest of my life" :(

There's a surprising amount of foreshadowing in season 5. That's one of them, but there's also a lot of death imagery in general, Don doodling a noose during a meeting, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping this for the new page.