Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

for real they are clearly out of ideas though

i think the problem is all the ideas they've had are making them more money than god every single year, they're not really motivated to innovate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

apple would sell you a large ceramic bowl if they thought it would make them loads of money

timb’s guac bowl

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hed posted:

timb’s guac bowl

i wanted to get a jeb bush guac-a-bowl-e but nowhere near enough that i'd give money to jeb bush

i should see if there's any on ebay

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

i think the problem is all the ideas they've had are making them more money than god every single year, they're not really motivated to innovate

this kills the apple

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

unlike other companies in late stage capitalism, which are?

i guess you're not making that point but you know. not unique to apple i guess lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

echinopsis posted:

apple would sell you a large ceramic bowl if they thought it would make them loads of money

how large are we talking here?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RIP the iPod line.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1524078873394229248

The iPod Touch was a nice little device, but its days have been numbered for a long time now. The iPod line is older now than VHS was when the first DVDs were released.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sure they would, but jumping straight to "well crapple's done it again" every time someone posts some hollywood upstairs design school graduate's concept render for a product based off one of a million patent fillings apple filed last year is a bit dumb.

still waiting for the rumor mill to rediscover apple's biblically accurate behind-screen camera patent where they proposed an array of tiny cameras that sat between each pixel

r u ready to WALK posted:

gotta respect the app button flush but in keeping with the intent of the icon it should be a *

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

does it use touch id to avoid unauthorized flushing?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Carthag Tuek posted:

tush id

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

fece id

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my voice is my assword

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Oh noooo looook out here comes the return of Pippin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwXZexgYx0k

I can’t stand this style of YouTube personality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way i think we can all agree that what is missing from apples game strategy is more weird controllers. one can just look to how nintendo found success by bundling up a bunch of free-to-play mobile games in a subscription and combining it with a piece of really premium hardware.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Carthag Tuek posted:

flush id

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

where is Apple’s GPU design compared to those used in consoles or PCs? are they close enough that an M1-like jump to be on par with current gen hardware is possible?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

it's still an integrated gpu that's sharing ram with the cpu, and it doesn't have the additional software support that makes nvidia and amd's gpu's do stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big laptops are okay if they live on desks.

ever tried to watch a movie on a 16" in standard plane seating?

hasnt been an issue in a couple years for obvious reasons but

literally the reason i got my ipad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

it's still an integrated gpu that's sharing ram with the cpu, and it doesn't have the additional software support that makes nvidia and amd's gpu's do stuff

otoh i think the real answer is that the gpu is plenty fast enough to do anything that you should be doing on an apple machine. not really a slam, you're setting yourself up for mostly pain if you're doing like hpc, ml, cad, or gaming and buy a mac to do it on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember when that chud lady said she was gonna audit the election once she got the hardware and tried to gofundme a $55,000 mac pro

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh i think the real answer is that the gpu is plenty fast enough to do anything that you should be doing on an apple machine. not really a slam, you're setting yourself up for mostly pain if you're doing like hpc, ml, cad, or gaming and buy a mac to do it on.

yeah this is fair, i mostly just wish the m1 gpu was better at blender so i could mess about with cubes in bed

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

njsykora posted:

yeah this is fair, i mostly just wish the m1 gpu was better at blender so i could mess about with cubes in bed

Strong shape-rotator energy in this post.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

yippee cahier posted:

are they close enough that an M1-like jump to be on par with current gen hardware is possible?

lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

njsykora posted:

it’s pretty impressive though

it’s apples and lenovos, but i’m slowly consolidating a bunch of misc computer stuff to a 14” m1 max. i set up xiv on mac (ff14) last night and… it works pretty well? compared against a yoga c940 with a i7-1065g7 that tops out at about 30 fps, with everything turned up and no fiddling with settings the minimum i was seeing in limsa was 30; it was 55+ away from other players locked at 60 everywhere else. the lenovo in the same area would struggle to stay in the double digits.

that said, don’t buy a m1 max only to play ff14

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Phone posted:

it’s pretty impressive though

it’s apples and lenovos, but i’m slowly consolidating a bunch of misc computer stuff to a 14” m1 max. i set up xiv on mac (ff14) last night and… it works pretty well? compared against a yoga c940 with a i7-1065g7 that tops out at about 30 fps, with everything turned up and no fiddling with settings the minimum i was seeing in limsa was 30; it was 55+ away from other players locked at 60 everywhere else. the lenovo in the same area would struggle to stay in the double digits.

that said, don’t buy a m1 max only to play ff14

intel's integrated gpus being unadulterated dogshit doesn't make apple's miraculous.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

intel's integrated gpus being unadulterated dogshit doesn't make apple's miraculous.

or......does it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the iris pro is head and shoulders above the uhd stuff

but also a ti-83+ could probably outdraw intel uhd graphics

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

or......does it?

no, not while amd's still kicking

Phone posted:

but also a ti-83+ could probably outdraw intel uhd graphics

probably has better opengl support than the m1, too

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
idk vulkan seems alright vOv

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

remember when that chud lady said she was gonna audit the election once she got the hardware and tried to gofundme a $55,000 mac pro

oh geez

did she get the computer to go with the wheels?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Phone posted:

idk vulkan seems alright vOv

it's fine, but apple doesn't natively support vulkan either

plus there's still a ton of poo poo that uses ogl. even though they're working on it apparently, it's not like you can use something like zink right now

Agile Vector posted:

oh geez

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

oh geez

haha

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

yippee cahier posted:

where is Apple’s GPU design compared to those used in consoles or PCs? are they close enough that an M1-like jump to be on par with current gen hardware is possible?

m1 family chips already have gpus in the same raw performance class as today's high def consoles. 32c m1 max gpu: 10.4 FP32 TFLOPs, PS5 GPU: 10.3 FP32 TFLOPs

njsykora posted:

lol if you think integrated and sharing automatically implies bad and/or limited

the reason you've been trained to think that way is decades of intel / amd igpus which had far too little memory BW to feed a GPU because they were designed to go into low cost shitboxes

the current gen consoles are all integrated SoCs just like m1, and they do fine, because they (and m1) have enough memory bandwidth to feed their gpus. comparing to PS5 again: m1 max provides 409.6 GB/s memory BW, the ps5 SoC has 448 GB/s

software is a legit issue, not because there's anything fundamental missing but because software written for immediate mode GPUs (amd, nvidia) needs optimization work to avoid common performance pitfalls on apple's tile based deferred rendering GPUs. the main theme is needless flushing and reloading of intermediate results

that's the downside, the upside is that TBDR with software that takes advantage of it uses less raw resources (tflops, memory BW) for the same rasterization performance (or extracts more perf out of the same resources). that's why apple went with TBDR long ago - in phones efficiency is king

njsykora posted:

blender performance on m1 is WIP. apple employees are contributing, but progress hasn't been super fast, as is normal in big open source projects with old codebases

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BobHoward posted:

blender performance on m1 is WIP. apple employees are contributing, but progress hasn't been super fast, as is normal in big open source projects with old codebases

seems like blender is proof that all software is bad, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

m1 family chips already have gpus in the same raw performance class as today's high def consoles. 32c m1 max gpu: 10.4 FP32 TFLOPs, PS5 GPU: 10.3 FP32 TFLOPs

lol if you think integrated and sharing automatically implies bad and/or limited

the reason you've been trained to think that way is decades of intel / amd igpus which had far too little memory BW to feed a GPU because they were designed to go into low cost shitboxes

the current gen consoles are all integrated SoCs just like m1, and they do fine, because they (and m1) have enough memory bandwidth to feed their gpus. comparing to PS5 again: m1 max provides 409.6 GB/s memory BW, the ps5 SoC has 448 GB/s

software is a legit issue, not because there's anything fundamental missing but because software written for immediate mode GPUs (amd, nvidia) needs optimization work to avoid common performance pitfalls on apple's tile based deferred rendering GPUs. the main theme is needless flushing and reloading of intermediate results

that's the downside, the upside is that TBDR with software that takes advantage of it uses less raw resources (tflops, memory BW) for the same rasterization performance (or extracts more perf out of the same resources). that's why apple went with TBDR long ago - in phones efficiency is king

this is a good post but measuring poo poo in FLOPs as a basis for comparison is ridiculous. that's the same reason people thought the PS3 would be ridiculously powerful, but it ended up being either at par or worse than the 360 in most practical applications. that's not to say you couldn't force some wizardry out of it, but it was exceedingly difficult to do and most devs didn't bother

most M1 parts are not going to be the M1 max. like you said: it's scalable, but designed primarily as an embedded soc for phones. if you're going to be using a stack that's apples all the way down, it's good. if not, prepare to face disappointment

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
eh, everything has been consolidating towards a SOCingularity for a while. shoot, even intel's getting into it with the P+E cores on the 12th gen processors.

FLOPS might be more relevant now than it has been in the past because of the lack of variety when it comes to architecture. your point about the PS3 is spot on; however, both the PS4 and Xbone were x86 boxes for the most part (with the switch basically being an android phone) and the PS5 and Xbone Elite Series One X continued that trajectory. the PS1/2/3 had a massively different architecture than the xbox being a celeron box or the 360 being a power mac g5. more and more stuff is being abstracted out in software and the hardware is maximizing for memory bandwidth, how many numbers you can juggle isn't an awful yardstick.

i would bring up whatever the api standardization nvidia, amd, and intel were doing, but i forgot the details... maybe something about raytracing? dunno

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Phone posted:

eh, everything has been consolidating towards a SOCingularity for a while. shoot, even intel's getting into it with the P+E cores on the 12th gen processors.

FLOPS might be more relevant now than it has been in the past because of the lack of variety when it comes to architecture. your point about the PS3 is spot on; however, both the PS4 and Xbone were x86 boxes for the most part (with the switch basically being an android phone) and the PS5 and Xbone Elite Series One X continued that trajectory. the PS1/2/3 had a massively different architecture than the xbox being a celeron box or the 360 being a power mac g5. more and more stuff is being abstracted out in software and the hardware is maximizing for memory bandwidth, how many numbers you can juggle isn't an awful yardstick.

i would bring up whatever the api standardization nvidia, amd, and intel were doing, but i forgot the details... maybe something about raytracing? dunno

that's what i was getting at earlier. the thing about nvidia, amd and intel: they're not apple. they're also standardizing around vulkan and dx/ogl, but macos and ios offer no support for either, even if the hardware can handle it. apple is increasingly going its own way and that ended rather badly last time

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I ran in here to post dis:

https://twitter.com/BasicAppleGuy/status/1524428674027515904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beeftweeter posted:

that's what i was getting at earlier. the thing about nvidia, amd and intel: they're not apple. they're also standardizing around vulkan and dx/ogl, but macos and ios offer no support for either, even if the hardware can handle it. apple is increasingly going its own way and that ended rather badly last time

ah, i see what you're getting at

they're going their own way in a different direction (vs the powerpc days) if all of the stuff about the 4000 nvidia gpus + new power standards hints are to be believed, though. performance per watt isn't gonna mean anything if the software isn't there,, and i can't argue with that.

i guess the barrier and aspect i'm struggling with is that the translation layer for the m1s seem to be pretty decent. i wouldn't plant a flag in the ground over apple not doing some ridiculous walled garden stuff and pulling rosetta2 out of nowhere, but for now it's not bad... it's quite... good???