Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I may have actually understated how badly the current PTR build of the game is going. The PTR server doesn't ever exceed 100 players at a time, so there's not many people actually checking it out (and even fewer people willing to take the time to test things methodically & coherently report their findings) but the PTR bug forums continues to have people posting some pretty damning problems.

Also, this weekend makes me feel justified in how I thought the decision to sell server transfer tokens was kind of scummy. The maximum concurrent populations of the Australian & South American regions could each fit on 1 server apiece now, and player numbers continue to decrease at a regular rate across all regions. I doubt Amazon will be doing any free mergers from this point forward, and I also doubt they'll ever improve their server browser for new player creation, so selling those transfer tokens really feels to me like AGS' attempt to milk the last bit of money from the product before it becomes abandonware.

MH Knights posted:

Something I was wondering about when playing the free weekend: Why are there multiple (four or five?) starter zones?
The most optimistic answer is probably, "They wanted to incorporate some hardcore PvP open world mechanics like DayZ & Rust have, so semi-random starting locations that don't favor any 1 faction encourages PvP & territory battles starting on day 1 with level 1 players. It also allows for companies to form organically based on starting location, leading to intra-faction conflict later as these companies expand inland and jockey to become the top company of their faction."

The more realistic answer is probably, "Adjusting the starting locations to account for the heavier emphasis on PvE was a low priority for the overworked development team, and AGS might have thought it would help cover up the shallow nature of the questing/leveling system."

Even the optimistic answer is incredibly short-sighted. The period in an MMO where everybody in the game is just starting out is limited to the launch weekend, and the reason random start locations work for hardcore PvP games is because players routinely create new characters or play on servers that perform regular wipes that force everybody back to square 1.

Lawlicaust posted:

I burnt out at about the exact same level a few weeks after launch. Leveling gets so loving miserable in the later 40s and early 50s. There's an incredible amount of truly obnoxious areas and enemies that are miserable unless you are using broken flavor of the day combo.
This is feedback that I've seen consistently since the 2nd week after the game's launch. The first players who said it were mocked as being overly negative and having unrealistic expectations, considering they were complaining about the grind to Level 60 after putting in 12 hours of playtime each day for over a week. But then the complaints became more numerous, and the player population started to drop at an alarming rate, and there was almost universal agreement that Level 40 is when the game becomes punishingly tedious and it's many systems begin to show how hollow they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MH Knights posted:

Something I was wondering about when playing the free weekend: Why are there multiple (four or five?) starter zones?

Yeah I wonder about this as well. I think its probably just a design decision hold over from when the game was a survival/crafting RPG before changing directions into an MMORPG a year before release. I would change all but one of those zones into higher level questing / story zones that you're led through. Each one is no longer levels 1 - 25, but leveling is much faster.

According to Steam achievements, only like 23 - 25% of players even made it as far as level 50. That is really bad.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

This is feedback that I've seen consistently since the 2nd week after the game's launch. The first players who said it were mocked as being overly negative and having unrealistic expectations, considering they were complaining about the grind to Level 60 after putting in 12 hours of playtime each day for over a week. But then the complaints became more numerous, and the player population started to drop at an alarming rate, and there was almost universal agreement that Level 40 is when the game becomes punishingly tedious and it's many systems begin to show how hollow they are.

Honestly it wasn't that bad if you were leveling at the right time or the correct weapon in the correct patch.

Basically if you were in the first few waves of leveling people you could find portal groups pretty easily and just run around in a zone closing portals. You'd get a bunch of chests with gear and a bunch of exp. It even motivated you to socialize a bit since you could be in that grind group for a while.

Another option, when the hatchet was bugged it would do like 10 times normal damage or something insane after you stacked it up a bunch. Using that the last few zones were pretty manageable even solo. Without the hatchet bug those last few zones were really annoying and you would run out of quests you could actually do (some areas would be impossible because of respawns), but with the bug smooth sailing. Once they fixed that bug the game felt so much worse instantly in the high level areas.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I wonder about this as well. I think its probably just a design decision hold over from when the game was a survival/crafting RPG before changing directions into an MMORPG a year before release. I would change all but one of those zones into higher level questing / story zones that you're led through. Each one is no longer levels 1 - 25, but leveling is much faster.

According to Steam achievements, only like 23 - 25% of players even made it as far as level 50. That is really bad.

Probably part of it, also just general spreading out the players at the start so there would be less of a bottleneck issue at launch. The entire server starting in 1 zone would have been awful at launch obviously. So from that point of view it is not a bad idea, but now it feels like that space could have been better used sure.

I wonder how much achievement stats are worth since apparently there are a lot of bots? Do banned ones get removed from those stats? Are the gathering bots max level?

I managed to make it to max level for what it is worth, then spend days queuing for outpost rush which I got to play twice!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My original goal for New World, when it launched and everyone was still excited about it, was to get to level cap and max out all of the weapons. My main is level 34 currently lmao.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DaitoX posted:

Honestly it wasn't that bad if you were leveling at the right time or the correct weapon in the correct patch.

Basically if you were in the first few waves of leveling people you could find portal groups pretty easily and just run around in a zone closing portals. You'd get a bunch of chests with gear and a bunch of exp. It even motivated you to socialize a bit since you could be in that grind group for a while.

Another option, when the hatchet was bugged it would do like 10 times normal damage or something insane after you stacked it up a bunch. Using that the last few zones were pretty manageable even solo. Without the hatchet bug those last few zones were really annoying and you would run out of quests you could actually do (some areas would be impossible because of respawns), but with the bug smooth sailing. Once they fixed that bug the game felt so much worse instantly in the high level areas.

Yeah. That’s right about when I quit. Hatchet cheese was boring but let me clear relatively fast and everything else felt awful by comparison. The only quests you have involve so much running or mindlessly grinding portals. It just became an absolute slog.

If not for gathering and crafting, I probably would have quit at 20. This game is literally a modern day Age of Conan. None of the systems work right, each patch breaks new things, and there is a better low level experience that suckers people in until they quit in the 50s. That was also a city building Siege PvP game that had equally broken cities, sieges, and PvP.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Oh man I remember Age of Conan, I also hit max level in that. There were some interesting bugs / design choices in that one too. The main one that comes to mind is that the animations for certain things were (are?) not the same between female and male characters. This resulted in female characters doing about 25~30% less dps than male characters. That took a while to fix, I hit max level on a female assassin and quit the game before they fixed it.

The comparison is spot on and the first 20 levels of AoC were fun.

Apparently Age of Conan is still operating and some people are playing it (about 100 on steam)? Seems like it pivoted and relaunched eventually as a freemium game with a lot of p2w options.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DaitoX posted:

Apparently Age of Conan is still operating and some people are playing it (about 100 on steam)? Seems like it pivoted and relaunched eventually as a freemium game with a lot of p2w options.

The Funcom game lifecycle. Failure of a launch -> massive cuts -> drip feed of content -> relaunch as freemium with promises of new content -> release 1 piece of new content -> fin

AGS just needs to either pull the plug or commit to a big rework. Their current approach is just going to be a slow bleed of players until it’s a wasteland… more of a wasteland.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I'm back from my break but I don't know if I'll be getting back into the game again. The 3v3 arenas dont sound that fun to me and honestly nothing in the upcoming road map even sounds that interesting. I really think they need more large PvP things - capture the flag, payload, king of the hill, etc but I really don't know if they have the development power to make any of those. It really feels at times like there are probably very few devs working on the game so they're just trying to find some low hanging fruit that will keep people happy and it's just not going to be enough. One of the funny things I heard before I left was that requests for different colored AoE, so you could tell if a healing effect was friendly or belonged to an enemy, was not going to be addressed any time soon because it would be too much work. It just doesn't bode well for the future if that is already asking too much.

In case anyone is still trying to play and level up to 60, the best/fastest way is just to do town boards I think. Just run to all the towns, do as many easy/cheap board tasks as you can, and then go to the next one. OPR is actually pretty good and is only available at 60 so if you're close, then just knock it out real quick so you can play the fun part of the game.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

DaitoX posted:

the first 20 levels of age of conan were the most bait-and-switchiest bullshit ive ever encountered in an mmo.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1523730922343833600

now's your chance lol

same thing that happened to atlas, game hit like 200 players and the game company be like "nah we're good, we're hiring" and to this day we have no idea how the game is still going

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to hire people to help them port the game to consoles (probably timed to correspond with a soft re-launch of the game on PC). That's the next logical way to try to squeeze more money out of the game, even as it dies on PC, but I don't think they'll be able to convince console players to pre-order the game in droves after the PC release has gone so poorly.

Also, despite already having a (somewhat) functional game to start from, I wouldn't trust AGS to be able port the game as easily/competently as they might hope. I can only imagine the problems each patch would bring once they have to manage code branches across 2 additional platforms.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DaitoX posted:

AOC level 1-20 content is still the best introductory levels to an MMO that has come out. It did suck that game ran dry at like level 35.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

DaitoX posted:

The main one that comes to mind is that the animations for certain things were (are?) not the same between female and male characters. This resulted in female characters doing about 25~30% less dps than male characters.

lol and lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1523730922343833600

now's your chance lol

same thing that happened to atlas, game hit like 200 players and the game company be like "nah we're good, we're hiring" and to this day we have no idea how the game is still going

Game and business development disciplines.

They're hiring people to program warehouse robots and make alexa run on your smart sneakers, which is also probably what everyone else in the team is currently doing apart from half a dozen skeletal crew maintainers steering the new world ship while they squeeze out what revenue they can.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Digital Prophet posted:

the first 20 levels of age of conan were the most bait-and-switchiest bullshit ive ever encountered in an mmo.
iirc none of the reviewers played past the starting zone (Tortuga?) so that’s why it reviewed so well. then players got past that and the whole facade collapsed lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There are quite a few of those postings for visual designers and devs/engineers specifically for New World which is quite a shock. I figured they would have frozen any new staffing a while ago.

Ash1138 posted:

iirc none of the reviewers played past the starting zone (Tortuga?) so that’s why it reviewed so well. then players got past that and the whole facade collapsed lol

Yeah. The zones after immediately after Tortuga weren’t absolutely horrible but were a distinct shift in quality. When you got to Field if the Dead at 40 things started falling apart and then at the mountains after that you realized that AoC was a pile of garbage.

New World is very similar. Bright wood starts to step the quality down from the first few zones but poo poo falls off a cliff in Great Cleave/Restless Shore. The story quest where you have to fight a bunch of rapidly respawning corruption enemies in a small cave was the point for me where the game got significantly worse very quickly.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Ash1138 posted:

my faulty old man memory seems to recall the devs explicitly saying at one time that the first 20 levels were more of a "single player RPG" and then its an mmorpg after that. nobody ever said that what they meant by that was the effort of engaging the player in the story goes from 100% to about 15%.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Digital Prophet posted:

my faulty old man memory seems to recall the devs explicitly saying at one time that the first 20 levels were more of a "single player RPG" and then its an mmorpg after that. nobody ever said that what they meant by that was the effort of engaging the player in the story goes from 100% to about 15%.

Yeah that was the original plan, but I guess at some point they decided to put multiplayer in Turtoga part as well with the whole Day/Night thing you could do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still don’t get how this game never had proper controller support.

I mean I do know why (ags lol) but the drat game uses like 3 buttons

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cargo culting the WASD+QERF layout and three-skill paradigms of better games. AGS might think Overwatch is one of those better games, but still the point stands.

Gamedev companies will claim to be 'data driven' but it basically means 'look at the top earning games on the chart and copy every little detail'.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

Gamedev companies will claim to be 'data driven' but it basically means 'look at the top earning games on the chart and copy every little detail'.

Unless they're :bioware: in which case looking at the market leaders (like Destiny or Warframe) when making your own (Anthem) is strictly forbidden, leading to comical levels of project mismanagement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Never played AOC but I remember that youtube video where somebody parked their horse on a narrow cliffside path and kept horse-kicking people off the side to their deaths so I'm inclined to say it was good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Meme Poker Party posted:

Never played AOC but I remember that youtube video where somebody parked their horse on a narrow cliffside path and kept horse-kicking people off the side to their deaths so I'm inclined to say it was good.

You've experienced the only good part of the game, is in that Youtube video, because after that video came out Funcom quickly made huge tweaks to the PvP to prevent that scenario from happening again.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devs should celebrate emergent gameplay like that, not squash it

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
You could also stand in a doorway and just block it. Locking people in was peak AoC gameplay.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For multiple WEEKS after launch, reaching the third phase of spell channeling for the Tempest of Set class would straight up crash the server for 15 minutes while it rebooted.

Not that anyone would do that on purpose, or hold servers hostage, demanding gold from other players to not purposefully crash the game.

AoC also had a jewel crafting system just like WoW, but on launch even having a gem socketed into an item would prevent your character from logging in. You had to ticket the GMs, which was a multiple day wait, and they would delete it for you. The item, not just the gem. Hope it wasn’t in your weapon!

People love to call launches “the worst launch ever”, but nothing has even come close to the absolute garbage fire that was AoC launch.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 11, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

AGS is starting a promotion to advertise the new 3v3 mode they're adding with the next patch. They'll have 3 streaming sessions over the next 2 weeks where they pit 3 streamers against 3 AGS developers.

This is a bit surprising, because they've had to disable to leaver penalty for the 3v3 mode on PTR while they try to figure out why players frequently get stuck on an infinite loading screen when starting an Arena match. There's also still a lot of issues with the level geometry in the arena and the new consumables system (which I think is still disabled on PTR in order to prevent it from deleting players' actual consumables after every Arena match).

The first stream is supposed to be tomorrow, May 12, with some streamers I don't recognize but appear to be loyal New World streamers with relatively high subscriber counts. I'm curious if this is a sign that they wanted to reward streamers who have stuck with playing only their game instead of going for bigger name starts, or if those bigger Twitch stars (like Shroud) are no longer willing to promote New World for whatever money (if any) AGS is offering. The 3rd stream is scheduled for May 26 with only 1 streamer named and the other 2 TBD, which maybe will be a surprise Shroud appearance (or maybe will be a bottom-of-the-barrel content creator because they can't find anybody else).

It sounds like it has the potential to deliver some excellent Twitch clips of the anecdotal problems I've read about on the PTR forums. The decision to go ahead with this promotion despite the bugs, and announcing it less than 24 hours in advance, all have suggest it will be another AGS trainwreck caused by some weird master schedule that drives all the team's decisions.

Doom Rooster posted:

People love to call launches “the worst launch ever”, but nothing has even come close to the absolute garbage fire that was AoC launch.
The AoC Wikipedia page is sad, because the 'Release' section ends with a special promotion that was supposed to happen in 2013 but was delayed, suggesting that's the last time anybody's bothered to add real content about the game to the page. The rest of the page seems generically positive about everything, so I'm wondering if 2013 is when they fired the person responsible for managing the page.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Discospawn posted:

The AoC Wikipedia page is sad, because the 'Release' section ends with a special promotion that was supposed to happen in 2013 but was delayed, suggesting that's the last time anybody's bothered to add real content about the game to the page. The rest of the page seems generically positive about everything, so I'm wondering if 2013 is when they fired the person responsible for managing the page.

Ooof. That is sad. I heard that it actually got kinda passable eventually, to the point that if you were just in love with the Conan setting, you could enjoy it.

To give some context to how bad the AoC launch was, if Star Citizen claimed it was a fully done game and launched TODAY in the state it is currently in, it would barely beat out how bad AoC launch was.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Discospawn posted:

The first stream is supposed to be tomorrow, May 12

At least they managed to be a day ahead of a Path of Exile league launch. I do wonder if they're dumping money in to get it frontpaged.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

nothing has even come close to the absolute garbage fire that was AoC launch.

The Hellgate London launch was so bad it not only killed the game, it killed the company AND coined a term used to describe poo poo products and broken promises that is still in use:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flagshipped

also, lets not forget Anarchy Online's historic launch, which you can read about on this very site if you unearth the review. im not going to link it since lowtax wrote it and gently caress lowtax.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ya'll still playing this game?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ShowTime posted:

my fiance bought this for me back at launch but my old computer was too much of a potato to run it worth a drat, I'm genuinely considering installing it now just to see how poo poo is for a fresh experience after the trainwrecks I've been watching.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Did you re-purchase your SA account (after having a meltdown in the New World thread and creating a 'Ban Me' thread in GBS) just to make this 1 post?

Like, you could just read the thread.

You didn't even put the apostrophe in the right place.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Digital Prophet posted:

The Hellgate London launch was so bad it not only killed the game, it killed the company AND coined a term used to describe poo poo products and broken promises that is still in use:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flagshipped

also, lets not forget Anarchy Online's historic launch, which you can read about on this very site if you unearth the review. im not going to link it since lowtax wrote it and gently caress lowtax.

Oh man, I had completely blocked Hellgate out of my mind. You are absolutely right, that was the worst. Hellgate was so broken it didn't feel like it was actually finished. Like, AoC felt like it was a finished game, but obscenely, unbelievably buggy. Hellgate was just, a disaster. Such a shame. It had so much potential.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Discospawn posted:

Did you re-purchase your SA account (after having a meltdown in the New World thread and creating a 'Ban Me' thread in GBS) just to make this 1 post?

People playing this game (if there are any) are not really posting in this thread, it’s mostly you doomposting and framing every piece of new world news in the worst possible light (which is probably not much different than objectively observing given the trajectory of this game) then people who don’t play chiming in to say “lol, lmao”. I guess really the same as the thread has always been, to be fair, except with more doom posters when it started!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Discospawn posted:

Thank you!

Edit: Also, i'm supposed to read this thread and the 2-3 others that came after my ban me to catch up on if people are playing? Please. You know I did search for New World and this is like the 4th iteration of a lovely thread for a lovely game.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 12, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ShowTime posted:

I just it keep it bookmarked for funny updates. I assume most posters itt are the same.

Btw OP your ban me thread was better than most. Don't know if you read it. Made it to five pages and we got some lamia content and Japanese culture content in between people lining up to make dunks. So thank you.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Meme Poker Party posted:

I just it keep it bookmarked for funny updates. I assume most posters itt are the same.

Btw OP your ban me thread was better than most. Don't know if you read it. Made it to five pages and we got some lamia content and Japanese culture content in between people lining up to make dunks. So thank you.

It's actually why I paid $10 to get unbanned. I had a moment of nostalgia and wanted to remember the good ol' days. I read it this morning and man please, 5 pages? Worth it.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Ort posted:

People playing this game (if there are any) are not really posting in this thread, it’s mostly you doomposting and framing every piece of new world news in the worst possible light (which is probably not much different than objectively observing given the trajectory of this game) then people who don’t play chiming in to say “lol, lmao”. I guess really the same as the thread has always been, to be fair, except with more doom posters when it started!

I recently came back after burning out early on (and living through the Tempus/goon guild drama on Royllo) and am actually digging it as a chill questing/lifeskilling experience. The QoL stuff + adding questing and XP for the poo poo levels (45-55) + merged servers + stabilized population, etc. have this game really close to what I hoped it would be and it seems to be heading in the right direction now.

I just decided to check in and see what SA thought which yielded predictable results 🫠

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The Twitch stream went about as expected. The Developers didn't have a healer on their team, so they were getting stomped pretty hard for the first matches, but even once the Creators swapped to having no healers it was clear that the dev characters were poorly optimized in general in terms of gear & loadouts.

And on it's face, that's fine, it was clear that nobody was trying to use this promotion as an opportunity to define the hardcore meta for everybody, but it's also discouraging to think that the developers still might not understand the importance of team composition in PvP modes. Some people were hoping that the Creators would demonstrate the most overpowered weapon/ability combos to show the developers what the OPR experience will be like for real players when it launches, but the streamers were never going to do that ( I saw instances of 2 of the 3 streamers asking their chat to be less toxic during the stream as people flamed the devs, so the streamers were definitely in a much more positive mindset than a lot of the people watching).

Even when the creators asked the most softball, positively-phrased questions about possible improvements to the mode, the answers were underwhelming. 1 example being:
Q - "Is there any form of matchmaking or is that being considered?"
A - "Right now it's more of a casual format, so the only matching is that the game tries to keep players within the same level range; I think it's Level 20-29, 30-39, etc, so we try to keep players against others at around their level. Of course, if you have a team with a mix of Level 60 and Level 20 characters, you will get matched against Level 60's."

It's a funny answer because it actually manages to highlight that the mode has no form of level scaling, so despite theoretically allowing players below Level 60 to participate there's no reason for them to do so since they'll have a disadvantage against higher level players (I guess the mode would be fun for the period when you're Level 19, 29, 39, etc.). The developers also confirmed that while the mode offers PvP experience for the new PvP rewards track, Arenas offer only a tiny amount of character XP, so it's not a viable way to actually level up by playing the mode, another disincentive for lower level players to engage with it. Everything points to the mode being dominated by pre-made teams of people playing meta builds, and even those players will quickly get sick of the mode once casual players stop playing and they're forced to only go up against other 3-stack meta teams.

More than any of that though, the entire demo was just so unflattering for the 3v3 mode in it's current state that I can't believe they thought this was a good idea. The 90 seconds of dead pre-game before every match, the broken announcer's voice, the party being automatically disbanded after every match, the awkward consumable system. It was very clear that this is a mode that is more than 2 weeks away from being 'finished,' but has been pretty much guaranteed to be released for this month's patch. It does not reflect a culture where AGS has learned lessons from the past year.

It's funny to note that on New World's official forums, only the German language version had an official post announcing this stream promotion, so maybe AGS knew this was a bad idea but didn't/couldn't pull the plug on it for some reason. If it's because they had a contract with the streamers and didn't want to disappoint them, that's laudable, but I don't think it's safe to assume that's the case. There's actually another PTR patch scheduled for 2:00 today, right after these streams end, with no patch notes released yet, so it'll be weird if that patch addresses some of the obvious Arena problems but they didn't push these 1st streams back a day.

Ort posted:

The game's subreddit is moderated to remove overly-critical posts, and what's left is almost entirely white-noise posting. It's about 30% loot showcases ('look what I just rolled' or 'how much should I sell this piece for?'), 30% 'should I come back to this game' posts, and the remainder is mostly a mix of low-quality memes and generic new player questions. Most reddit's aren't exactly overflowing with high-content posting, but with New World it seems like if you don't cover the game's continued missteps, there's not much left to talk about.

I don't think this thread would be even a quarter as active if negative opinions weren't allowed, and the players who enjoy this game don't seem to be playing it in a way where there's any active discussion about it needed. I guess you could have a thread where the same 6 people post every couple weeks saying, "chopping down trees still feels good," but having a forum thread for that seems pointless.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 12, 2022