Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheres the one that points out that the Pickle parents were like in their early 30's. it makes me feel old af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I cant believe they got away with lipschitz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

hell same

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

powerful

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

nvrgrls posted:

Can someone post that really really gross pic of the close up of the guy with the terrible beard... you know the one I'm talking about, it makes my eyes water.

turn your monitor off

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember when photoshop didnt have layers

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

graph posted:

we'd never know barack hussein obama's birth certificate was fake

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

graph posted:

https://archive.org/details/kid-pix-studio_202110

Sound Bite
Jul 19, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

don't think i've seen this posted in this incarnation of the thread yet
https://youtu.be/XWX4GUYGQXQ

https://twitter.com/willw/status/1520689151942619136

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

i was just talking to a colleague about how great it was when layers came along and changed everything

that and being able to ditch loving quarkxpress and not have to bake shadows or whatever thanks to indesign

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector posted:

i was just talking to a colleague about how great it was when layers came along and changed everything

just lol if youve never dealt with ps channels. lol. lmao

Agile Vector posted:

that and being able to ditch loving quarkxpress and not have to bake shadows or whatever thanks to indesign

did you mean pagemaker? after they absorbed aldus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
layers are a bit bogus imo. they work obv but are a bit cumbersome. they’re a relic of the past and we should move past them. everyone else has adobe why can’t you

adope more like it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats an incredibly dumb take unless you have a suggestion for a replacement for the layer paradigm. im all ears.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
node-based image editing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:yosnice:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

just lol if youve never dealt with ps channels. lol. lmao

did you mean pagemaker? after they absorbed aldus

oh, maybe? it's been so long. I trained up on quark just in time for indesign to start to gain ground, so I tried to quickly dump as much of it out of my brain as possible and what's left is a mix of memories. he had more experience back in the aldus days, so i'm probably mixing them up more

Jonny 290 posted:

thats an incredibly dumb take unless you have a suggestion for a replacement for the layer paradigm. im all ears.

pixelmator and affinity photo have non-destructive/image layers that differ from raster layers, but I feel like I'm either stuck in the ps raster layer past or the workflows just aren't as intuitive

I just want a pay-once, performant photoshop, adobe. do it, you cowards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

mediaphage posted:

node-based image editing

why not both?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Made this like twenty years ago, thanks to PS layers!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
rescuing these from a previous incarnation of the thread because they are too good to remain in obscurity. they have sound.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Agile Vector posted:

I remember indesign from highschool yearbook. It was baked into the budget that some "subject matter expert" would come in and press the buttons for us teenage A/V kids in relation to that quarkxpress shadow bake thingy. I asked the non-yearbook graphic design art teacher and she explained what it was and why she wouldn't talk me through it because "gently caress that use case and gently caress them kids" and I was all "but I'm one of the kids" and she was all "yeah gently caress you I aint doing that" then left class to smoke a cig.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fake news!

(he won a contest!)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mask up guys

oh. oh no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

nodes

converging all layers and edits into a single stack obfuscates the order of execution once you get past a basic level of complexity

as soon as I started using nodes for images it became clear that it’s a superior method

they take a moment to understand but then they present the work in such an intuitive way

except it does take up more screen space

Sagebrush posted:

why not both?

absolutely. in some ways they’re functionally identical so you could in theory have both operational at the same time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rb7k4zENrh1ygq4u4.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i still dont know what a node is

are you talking about an object? like the things illustrator has?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

are you talking about an object? like the things illustrator has?

an operator in a graphical programming environment. like blender's shader nodes. you pipe the output of one function into the input of another and the data is evaluated and transformed along the chain.

here is keyshot generating a parquet wood floor material with nodes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 11, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah gotcha. not sure how that'd help me content-aware-scale my dick pics but i get it now

pic tax: found another speed miata in town. turns out i texted the guy in december but never followed up. might re-ping as he's probably ready to dump it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

I first came across it in blender but stuff like davinci resolve also does it

when you start having a situation where you have (for example) two layers that both have masks and then you’re trying to blend those layers together, the layers module in photoshop starts to be become unclear. the order of operations is not obvious

nodes fixes all of this in an easy obvious way. they’re only really necessary once you get a certain level of complexity but once you do they make it so easy and obvious

one day they’ll latch on. everyone else is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
huh guess ive just never had a problem with this order of operations or w/e thats cool tho ty for explaining

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

secumen is such a gross word

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Still one of the best logos

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

top 5 for sure

sun, like beos was too good for this world

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

ah gotcha. not sure how that'd help me content-aware-scale my dick pics but i get it now

pic tax: found another speed miata in town. turns out i texted the guy in december but never followed up. might re-ping as he's probably ready to dump it

miatas are neat. i mentioned this in muskchat but small cars that are fun as hell to drive are the best

i took a GR 86 on a test spin and it's too good for the price. too bad i don't need a car

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

content aware scaling can't do miracles anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

huh guess ive just never had a problem with this order of operations or w/e thats cool tho ty for explaining

nodes are definitely the way of the future. functionally they're basically like having an API and scripting language for your graphics program, but they're easier to pick up and fart around with than writing actual code. once you get the hang of it, you can build very complicated stuff with relatively few operations.

for instance here is a grasshopper thing i made the other day that generates bizarre carbon fiber bike frame shapes from a few freeform curves and sliders.

check out the blender thread for a bunch of insane poo poo that fart simpson and jenny agutter do with it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

small cars that are fun as hell to drive are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

small cars that are fun as hell to drive are the best

My second (I think) car I owned was a black-and-rust Honda CRX, it didn't go too fast at the top end but getting it there was very quick and winding roads etc were absolutley no problem. If I could have one fresh-from-the-showroom classic think I'd take another CRX.