Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Disappointed that it's not by the I Am Bread devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I can't suplex the unbelievers I don't see the point.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, about that thing of Tank Mechanic Simulator throwing german tanks at me in the extractions (IE; dig a tank wreck out of a field) opportunities?

Now it's just taking the piss. :v:

Edit: It's like a 1.5% chance to get a Maus in a dig. I got it on my 18th dig.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 16, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Is there any interest in a dedicated Farm Sim 22 server?

A six or eight slot server with enough mod space for any mod you want costs between eight and ten euros.

I figure a map like Calmsden, if you want something pre-made, or No Man's Land, if you want to build from scratch would work it. Set the time to x1/real time or set it to x5 and it only runs when someone is logged on.

A discord I'm guessing is easy to set up for voice, unless there's an existing goon Sim/Management discord, or something similar.

So it'd be Farm Sim 22, a map and mods people agree on, and anything else to work out can be figured out if people are interested.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Is there any interest in a dedicated Farm Sim 22 server?

A six or eight slot server with enough mod space for any mod you want costs between eight and ten euros.

I figure a map like Calmsden, if you want something pre-made, or No Man's Land, if you want to build from scratch would work it. Set the time to x1/real time or set it to x5 and it only runs when someone is logged on.

A discord I'm guessing is easy to set up for voice, unless there's an existing goon Sim/Management discord, or something similar.

So it'd be Farm Sim 22, a map and mods people agree on, and anything else to work out can be figured out if people are interested.

I'd be keen but I live in aus and that isn't generally conducive to playing with others that live in other parts of the world. Calmsden would probably work though cause you get a decent number of fields to start and you also get field 24 which is a grass field that nets you 800,000 litres of grass for silage without ferts or silage addative

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'd be keen but I live in aus and that isn't generally conducive to playing with others that live in other parts of the world. Calmsden would probably work though cause you get a decent number of fields to start and you also get field 24 which is a grass field that nets you 800,000 litres of grass for silage without ferts or silage addative

If it wasn't for the fact the power is gone due to the storm in Ireland I might have been tempted to set up a no man's land server and just see what happens. Set it to pause when no-one is on. I could see about setting up a discord as well but I've never done that while I did manage an FS19 server for a while. I'll see what I'm thinking later but I like No Mans Land because it really gives a lot of open options for goons to play around with.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I set up a discord for Management and Sim games. https://discord.gg/2JzvCDPY

I have no clue what I'm doing, but it has channels, and I think voice channels. It might work.

If anyone wants to talk about setting up a Farm Sim 22 server hop in there and we can get things going, if that's not too presumptuous of me.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Along with the Discord I've set up a dedicated Farm Sim 22 server if people want to play.

You can find the details in the private games server forum here, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994137

I'll be switching the server on in about an hour from now, so if you're interested check out the details at that link and get ready. I'll be in the discord getting things going.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lol I love that PYF is named Derail Valley now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Someone made a house inside of a garbage truck in Stormworks :laugh:

Still having a blast playing with other people's creations in this game. Flipping switches and pushing buttons and seeing what happens is extremely my poo poo.

I caved and got the weapons DLC, but so far the enemy AI kinda sucks and the weapons mostly don't work that well, regardless of who made the contraption. Also been trying to load vehicles on to ships, only to find out that the vehicles are too heavy and get yeeted overboard, loading them onto planes and finding they are too big to fit even into the holds of cargo planes and an AN-225 (PBUH), loading them onto flatbed train cars only to find out they're one measly stinkin' block too wide.

And for extra :spergin: people make accurate stuff that doesn't make it into other games. A P-3 Orion made by someone who's actually flown in one. Los Angeles class subs with working nuclear reactors, sailboats with rigging modelled, Union Pacific locomotives, Research ships with a freaking moonpool to recover a mini sub that they also made.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I've got the itch for My Summer Car again, but I've played it and Mon Bazou to death. Any other games similar to those?

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
There’s this extra janky one with Trespasser arms called The Long Drive

https://youtu.be/JcltNSPZoX0

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Galick posted:

So I've got the itch for My Summer Car again, but I've played it and Mon Bazou to death. Any other games similar to those?

My garage?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1578390/My_Garage/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Looks neat, I'll wishlist it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Galick posted:

Slightly different focus, but maybe Motor Town?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Slightly different focus, but maybe Motor Town?

Motor town is okay it's a bit empty, it's somewhat fun but grindy currently. They are doing a bunch of work on it here and there .

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Thanks folks! Looks like My Garage and The Long Drive are the closest. They don't hit quite the same niche of janky life sim, but I'm interested in both at least.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's the recent Canadian car builder where you survive on syrup and poutine?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Azhais posted:

What's the recent Canadian car builder where you survive on syrup and poutine?

That's Mon Bazou, OP already played it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I didn't realize Mon Bazou got a good reception, I lost track after it first came out. Guess I need to try it out.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

zedprime posted:

I didn't realize Mon Bazou got a good reception, I lost track after it first came out. Guess I need to try it out.

It's pretty grindy, that's my biggest complaint about it. It reaches the point of almost being an idle game where you're waiting for your next payday to be able to eventually buy car parts or an upgrade for your money production. Which is fine, but it's not like MSC where every time you want something you need to go drive the poo poo truck or chop firewood.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Galick posted:

Thanks folks! Looks like My Garage and The Long Drive are the closest. They don't hit quite the same niche of janky life sim, but I'm interested in both at least.

If you want janky life sim and aren't totally wedded to the "build a car" part of it, check out Farmer's Life.

You don't have to actually farm if you don't like farming. You can survive by hunting, or making moonshine, or just collecting eggs from your chickens and drinking out of the well.

You can fish, or you can get drunk and chuck grenades into the lake and collect fish that way.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 11, 2022

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I am enjoying the fact that while Train Station Renovator often requires you to replace all the fixtures in your station bathrooms, their requirements are not specific enough. In one bathroom you're required to put in four sinks, no problem, but the ten "bathroom elements" you need to install mean everything else from toilets to soap dispensers. So sure, you can put in urinals and dividers and everything else, or you could just slap ten toilet paper rolls up on the wall and call it a day.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm finally cracking into Farming Simulator 22 and it's starting to gel in my mind! I've been buoyed by a happy accident: I mis-read a trio of baling contracts and would up spending like an hour making silage instead of hay, and since I couldn't turn it in I just dumped it all and abandoned the contracts...until I found the silage bales still in the field later in the year when I returned for a different contract! Didn't realize they'd still be there. So I rented up a bale collector, scooped 'em up, and slid them straight into the biogas drop-off for an extra $50k.

Still just doing contract work and growing wheat on my first three little fields, but they're all healthy and I've got a nice little collection of farm implements. Loading the pallets of honey onto a trailer for sale next month is weirdly satisfying.

Courseplay is the next frontier.

EDIT: Well, I just "hosed up" another baling contract by selling them to the wrong drop-off instead of turning them in for the contract. Is there uh...any consequence to cancelling a 24k contract and just selling the 150k in bales I made for it?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 21, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Magni posted:

So, about that thing of Tank Mechanic Simulator throwing german tanks at me in the extractions (IE; dig a tank wreck out of a field) opportunities?

Now it's just taking the piss. :v:

Edit: It's like a 1.5% chance to get a Maus in a dig. I got it on my 18th dig.

Your use of "throwing" made me think for a second that Tank Mechanics Simulator had a mode where you had to dig up a salvage a tank *while under enemy fire* and I was like loving sweet

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/simfest_hobby

A Steam sale made for nerds like us is on!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Mon Bazou with a big update:

quote:

KINDA IMPORTANT
- Dolly Trailer
- Derby Demolition
- AI Traffic on the roads
- A friend that can give you a lift in town
- More races & rewards at the night meet
- You can now sell old parts/metal
- Magnetic tray to carry bolt easier
- Racetrack apartment with saving spot, big storage fuel tank & a little something special
- School bus
- Tunable ECU + Glove box in Konig
- Custom interior autometer gauges (RPM/Boost/etc) & shift knobs
- You can now lock decorations like tables & shelfs (Also burn/recycle them)
- French Canadian voices for Normand, Jacques & Mother

CONTROLS
- Steering wheel H-Shifter support
- A bit better support for steering wheels
- Auto-Clutch can now be disabled
- Head movement inside the car

COOL, I GUESS
- Jackstands - You will all start with two at the load of your save
- Wheel spacers
- Mixing paint booth + More feedback/details when painting
- Bloom & Better lighthing
- Different colors 20mm bolts + New wheel bearing
- Windows tints now available at Kali-Gas
- Possible to paint the Performance Caliper & LSD Differential
- Gilles can now find your objects without being friend with
- Windmills are now out of phase from each other
- New shirt colors
- Auto-flip vehicle added to the SmollATV and Buggy, they can't be stuck upside down + Chainsaw holder on SmollATV
- Keybind to hide the UI added in the escape menu
- Better quality rear mirror
- No more 2D trees & better lighting on them
- Gilles can now find [UNIQUE] parts (Buggy parts, Transmissions, Rewarded spoiler, etc)
- Warning sound/visual when you are about to die of one need (+ death sound)
- Exhaust fire + backfire on the Konig
- Rally shocks now unlockable

BUGS
- Controller bug when launching the game
- Objects flying of the Konig trunk
- A very good update on the save system & loading the save had now way more informations (And "tips"..)
- "No grid electricity" text bug at the Sugarshack
- You can now deliver firewood for the garage at anytime to your brother (Also bug with the firewood not reseting)
- Model 2 muffler wrong hitbox
- Sometime it was impossible to disconnect a the trailer from the OlTruck/SmollATV
- Item could stay stuck under the press table in the Sugarshack
- Pruning looper could go through the ground
- Fuel visible in canister in 3 third person
- When bending a sign, you can no longer stay stuck on it
- Teleport vehicle with trailer attached is fixed
- Item that clipped through the map will now have more chance to spawn back in the dumpster at the Sugarshack
- Reverse mirror now works at night & with the OlTruck bed light
- Trailer could explose when loading from save
- Weird skidmarks when loading the save or towing the vehicle in town
- Adjust the rear spring force and height on the coilover while installed on the car wasn't possible
- Konig right door rust wasn't visible

For those who don't know it, it's French Canadian My Summer Car, but less intricate/difficult on the car building side of things -- you start with a working car (plus a truck) and can replace parts as you make money. And the biggest way to make money is by starting your own maple syrup manufacturing shack.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really wish Mon Bazou was my summer car with a similar complexity but minus a year or two of dick-punching additions like house fires and rapidly degrading parts and all that. I keep eyeballing it but the kind of worse “art style” combined with relative simplicity pushes it more into a bad category for me than “weirdly awesome” like Summer Car was.

I just wish the guy hadn’t gotten fed by the “haha man is it ever hard” crowd and just kind of expanded the things to do in the world and called it quits. I enjoy that exact level of complexity assembling the car and getting the resources to restore it without all of the added “and you need to fastidiously maintain it, and your house can burn down permanently, and you can die from various near-joke-tier stuff at all times.”

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I really wish Mon Bazou was my summer car with a similar complexity but minus a year or two of dick-punching additions like house fires and rapidly degrading parts and all that. I keep eyeballing it but the kind of worse “art style” combined with relative simplicity pushes it more into a bad category for me than “weirdly awesome” like Summer Car was.

I just wish the guy hadn’t gotten fed by the “haha man is it ever hard” crowd and just kind of expanded the things to do in the world and called it quits. I enjoy that exact level of complexity assembling the car and getting the resources to restore it without all of the added “and you need to fastidiously maintain it, and your house can burn down permanently, and you can die from various near-joke-tier stuff at all times.”

Yeah, I really liked My Summer Car early on and then some of the additions kind of turned me off of it. I think I tuned out around the time they stopped giving you the truck right off the bat as a second vehicle and introduced more of the part degradation. I keep meaning to go back to it and give it another solid try, but it always feels like so much.

I've been enjoying Mon Bazou, but I've only been playing it for like a week and to some degree it's turned into syrup shack manager for me instead of me doing all that much with the car. But it's the closest thing I've found to scratching that same itch (that and Farmer's Life, in just a life sim kinda way). I haven't tried out the new update yet.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 1, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I love MSC. Putting the car together is the best part and why I come back.

But yeah, I also cheat my rear end off in that game.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Had "Total Tank Simulator" on my wish list for some time and see it's 60% off.

Is it fun?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

skooma512 posted:

I love MSC. Putting the car together is the best part and why I come back.

But yeah, I also cheat my rear end off in that game.

Msc took me so long to build that car that by the time I was done I was to scared to drive it past the driveway, logged off and haven't touched it since.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Building the car is a nice, short tutorial. The real MSC starts when you've built your car and you realize the main engine components are pre-disintegrated and you need to disassemble your car to get the replacements to spawn at the mechanic and reassemble it which gives good practice for when you want to build your car to rally spec.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So here's something else that kind of feels like it's in the My Summer Car vein which I just found this weekend:

The Slavarian Trucker, used to be called The Wasteland Trucker before the developer got a legal threat from Microsoft for using "Wasteland."

It's like some unholy mix of My Summer Car and Euro Truck Simulator in a post apocalyptic (I think) environment. You drive from shithole city to shithole city and deliver goods for money so you have enough to buy water and booze and food to stay alive. It is extremely early access and extremely janky. Like, you have to load all the goods into the back of your truck by hand and half the time if two things touch they'll launch out of the truck and across the street and of course poo poo will fly out of the back of your truck if you hit a bump. Luckily, it's not a big deal if you don't deliver the whole cargo, you get paid by the piece.

I can't say it's a good game. It's unfinished and does the typical whacked out physics stuff you expect from a one-dev indie Unity project but...it's compelling me for some reason.

Look at this load screen. Look at the "don't press load if you haven't started a new game" warning. Look at the "Windows 7 users check this box." Amazing.

Look at this tutorial screen and the incredible run on sentence telling you how to replace a part.

Look at this map. You don't have a GPS or waypoints in this world. You have this garbage map and a compass if you remembered to grab it from your starter house.

Look at this horribly textured shitpile truck.

It's even uglier on the inside.

Look at these shacks where you can pick up jobs.

LOOKIT THIS DUDE

here's a trailer from the dev's twitter:
https://twitter.com/FrankBudai/status/1464943461141041160?s=20&t=WB2ZFo6fwzOj9ryC6fqaKg

It's all so ugly but I love it for some reason. The truck handles like an absolute boat, can barely go up a hill in second gear, and takes forever to brake. My cargo flies everywhere all the time. My radiator is leaking, I think, and I pissed in it to top off the fluids. It may get better if I ever scrape up the money to buy new parts. Apparently there's also drug smuggling and you can find other cars and tow them back to your place and fix them up, and who knows what else.

Anyway, I only recommend it if you don't mind figuring out how things work from the barely readable tutorial screens and can handle jank, but it definitely has that My Summer Car feel and it is under active development (he just added rain and cooking within the last month). And it's only $11.99. I'd love to see it get more attention since this kind of thing is right up my alley but I didn't hear anything about it when it came out back in December.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Holy poo poo if that single dev can thread the needle and polish the turd just enough but not too much, that’ll be my favorite game ever.

Even though it’s very different the weird vibes remind me of Open Sewer which is still being redone and updated but still hasn’t relaunched. Give me more insane dystopian, greasy, niche simulators.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Holy poo poo if that single dev can thread the needle and polish the turd just enough but not too much, that’ll be my favorite game ever.

Even though it’s very different the weird vibes remind me of Open Sewer which is still being redone and updated but still hasn’t relaunched. Give me more insane dystopian, greasy, niche simulators.

Man, I hope Open Sewer actually gets the rework. It's been years.

The core loop of this game works already, at the very least. You can take the delivery jobs and deliver stuff. And I'm finding it pretty rewarding since I have to navigate with the map, so half the time it's like "where am I, oh god did I miss my turn, wait is that actually the city I'm supposed to be headed to?"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Man, I hope Open Sewer actually gets the rework. It's been years.

The core loop of this game works already, at the very least. You can take the delivery jobs and deliver stuff. And I'm finding it pretty rewarding since I have to navigate with the map, so half the time it's like "where am I, oh god did I miss my turn, wait is that actually the city I'm supposed to be headed to?"

The devs have religiously posted progress on their discord - it’s definitely being worked, it just isn’t ready yet. It’s become my white whale.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Recently bought Farming Simulator 22 and just bought my first factory, the grain mill. But I can't figure out how it works, it looks like it came with infinite resources? It's just pumping out flour despite never actually using any resources from my silos and when I look in the production interface it looks like there is 312,913 liters of oats but I only have 42,913 in the silo? I have a bunch of mods but none for cheating, maybe one of them contains this un-documented "feature"?

Edit: Ugh this loving game, why do I keep buying it.... I found the reason: https://www.reddit.com/r/farmingsimulator/comments/th6psv/grain_mill_not_consuming_inputs_glitch/
Now I need to remove the factory because obviously you can't just move it, buy a new field and a new factory. At least I have the money to do it from all that free flour but still....and there are still bugs with the helper AI on irregularly shaped fields, just like in every other version :qq:

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 17, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Stormworks. Still buggy, still laggy

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....letterbox=false

Still kinda worth it though! Workshop creators are still chugging along making neat stuff. The devs have hinted at a major update in the near future, but for now they raised the train track height on the ocean so ships could get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Looks like Hydroneer finally got its 2.0 update. Includes multi-player as well.

Anyone who hasn't played it, it's a mining sim that has a bit of charm in its jankiness. Everything is water powered including your tractor.

It's also on sale for USD 7.