Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1524753471853019137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I know why they do it, but it's funny to think about working with your monitor angled nearly 90 degrees from where you're looking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i do it to avoid "turn on your monitor" burns

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Love the painting in the top right. Serious Miami Vice vibes.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector posted:

oh, maybe? it's been so long. I trained up on quark just in time for indesign to start to gain ground, so I tried to quickly dump as much of it out of my brain as possible and what's left is a mix of memories. he had more experience back in the aldus days, so i'm probably mixing them up more

indesign gained ground because quark refused (or couldnt?) port xpress to osx. lol. it ended up destroying the company

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
that and indesign was just so much better than pagemaker and pagemaker was already really good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AlbertFlasher posted:

Love the painting in the top right. Serious Miami Vice vibes.
its a famous painting

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hockney-a-bigger-splash-t03254

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

indesign gained ground because quark refused (or couldnt?) port xpress to osx. lol. it ended up destroying the company
the fall of quark was the greatest and most delicious story of tech industry hubris until monster signed that deal with beats

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

ah cool that's why it looked familiar

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FMguru posted:

the fall of quark was the greatest and most delicious story of tech industry hubris until monster signed that deal with beats

I forget what happened with Monster and Beats

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

monster thought they could deal with record industry execs like they could with people in the tech industry.

they got eaten alive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

monster was the biggest, nastiest bunch of litigious jerks in the entire tech industry

the patriarch who owns/runs monster was contacted by dre/iovine about working with them on a headphone product

patriarch puts failson in charge of the negotiations (its time he learned the family business after all)

failson goes down to los angeles and immediately gets sized up by dre and iovine as an easily-rolled rube

dre and iovine proceed to dazzle him with meetings with famous musicians and celebrities and parties and booze (and, it has been strongly implied, drugs and sex)

failson, with his head spinning, is too busy having a good time to pay close attention to the details of the deal he is negotiating. he has hit it off incredibly well with all these famous people, surely the deal his new best friends are mostly driving will be fine

the deal he negotiates and signs ends up being ruinous to monster. unbreakable, have to produce an uncapped number of headsets at a loss, they dont own any of the technology they developed for the headphones, they cant even compete with them

as soon as monster came into contact with the real sharks who run the music industry, they got effortlessly boned and filleted and devoured

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

monster was the biggest, nastiest bunch of litigious jerks in the entire tech industry

the patriarch who owns/runs monster was contacted by dre/iovine about working with them on a headphone product

patriarch puts failson in charge of the negotiations (its time he learned the family business after all)

failson goes down to los angeles and immediately gets sized up by dre and iovine as an easily-rolled rube

dre and iovine proceed to dazzle him with meetings with famous musicians and celebrities and parties and booze (and, it has been strongly implied, drugs and sex)

failson, with his head spinning, is too busy having a good time to pay close attention to the details of the deal he is negotiating. he has hit it off incredibly well with all these famous people, surely the deal his new best friends are mostly driving will be fine

the deal he negotiates and signs ends up being ruinous to monster. unbreakable, have to produce an uncapped number of headsets at a loss, they dont own any of the technology they developed for the headphones, they cant even compete with them

as soon as monster came into contact with the real sharks who run the music industry, they got effortlessly boned and filleted and devoured

hahahahhaha i had never heard this

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
he actually signed a contract without a lawyer or accountant looking at it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Perplx posted:

he actually signed a contract without a lawyer or accountant looking at it?
lawyers looked at it and advised him of the problems, but when he brought those problems to the table with iovine and dre, suddenly iovine and dre began playing hard to get, implying that there were other suitors, and threatening to walk away from the whole thing (basic negotiation 101 stuff, really). failson panicked at the thought of having to shamefacedly go back to his dad emptyhanded (which dre and iovine had absolutely pegged as this guys driving motivation - all those boozy showbiz party heart-to-heart chats over bottles of cristal, you know) so he signed the deal and welp

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FMguru posted:

absolutely fuckin incredible hahahaha

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Ubuntu rock album cover lookin good

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Ya here is the link to the story about monster and beats:

https://gizmodo.com/beat-by-dre-the-exclusive-inside-story-of-how-monster-5981823

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

FMguru posted:

but where am i going to get my nitrogen-infused, 24k gold 0.5 meter long things with poorly soldered connectors, lovely impedance and poor quality control?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
monster was definitely Tech Goop

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FMguru posted:

lol

ohhh, that monster, the gold plated cabling company

lol. lmao. good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

i mean they'd already hosed over most of the pre-press user base with xpress 4, which is right around when indesign came out.

4 was also when they thought "hey, we need to court windows users. let's oursource the entire port of the codebase!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

powerful dad energy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

god i wish i didn't have to note that's not some dumb filter but an actual viewfinder

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

god i wish i didn't have to note that's not some dumb filter but an actual viewfinder

owns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

traditional artisanal analogue image effects

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

this was a good game

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

All my Apogees gone.

edit:
Ape O.G.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my favorite nirvana song is “all apogees”

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cross posting apologies

from this mornings sunrise

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I'm fuckin jelly.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we still like Susanna Hoffs around here, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOEf9vF1kc

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOEf9vF1kc

Closed it at "one i heard in the 70s" tbh