Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

You wanna make websites, so make some and put them on your resume. Have you worked on a website today?

unfortunately I had to work regular job all day. plus I need to learn how to make them first lol. yes I am a loser

CarForumPoster posted:

also I can’t imagine wanting to computer touch so bad that you’d take off those golden handcuffs

golden handcuffs? hmm in nz pharmacy doesn’t make the kind of money it does in the US

i’m close to being a six figgie fuckturd but not yet. regardless i’ve basically hit the ceiling in this role and I have so much more I could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a sick website :

remember the game drug wars? we’ll make it into an idle game called “crime committer” and it’s a bit like NGU or cookie clicker except with crimes 👹

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

unfortunately I had to work regular job all day. plus I need to learn how to make them first lol. yes I am a loser

Yeah but you’ve been posting for at least an hour.

You can learn JavaScript in an hour.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not nice to gently caress with the noob, especially if theyre a real adult and still a noob unlike hbag or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tk posted:

Yeah but you’ve been posting for at least an hour.

You can learn JavaScript in an hour.

oh yes no excuses, i’m just suck

I’ve tried a bit of javascript. i didn’t like it, i like c and python. but javascript is what you need to learn so guess doesn’t matter if i don’t like it or not

i’ve doing the foundation part of the odin project. focus on html and css. spose you need to learn those too as targets for your javascript

and I had this other website idea that required I learn postgres. full stack means a few tools huh.

regardless, my hopeless brain that can start a million tasks and finish none is getting in the way.

serious question : would anyone care what my github is called? it’s currently rodtronics but I wonder if I should restarted it under my own name

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

echinopsis posted:

serious question : would anyone care what my github is called? it’s currently rodtronics but I wonder if I should restarted it under my own name

as long as it's not something obviously unprofessional and you set your display name to your real name I don't think anyone is gonna give a poo poo. rodtronics should be fine

e: even if you did want to change it you can. gonna be doing that soon myself for reasons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good to know thanks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No one's gonna care. Just make rodtronics.com have some cool poo poo on it or whatever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

idk if that's your domain but you get the idea

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Also JavaScript sucks but if you wanna do web dev you gotta embrace the suck for a lot of jobs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Also JavaScript sucks but if you wanna do web dev you gotta embrace the suck for a lot of jobs

:hmmyes:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

remember the game drug wars? we’ll make it into an idle game called “crime committer” and it’s a bit like NGU or cookie clicker except with crimes 👹

go make it

i'd play it

the reason there are so many idle games is because they're basically the perfect size project for someone to code up as a hobby in their spare time. you'll learn a bunch even if you decide to bail on it in favour of other stuff after the first prototype.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s a good idea.

could you host something like that off github?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you absolutely can, yeah. it's just javascript keeping everything in localstorage.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

that’s a good idea.

could you host something like that off github?

Learning to deploy stuff is a super useful skill BTW. Heroku, AWS, and (I assume) GCP all have generous free tiers. Having a github that shows off a demo with stuff deployed to the same services these companies use is a HUGE resume boost.

Like if you have a github with a readme, code thats decently formatted and a working demo of that code deployed to Heroku you're in the top 25% of candidates for entry level jobs....and thats something I could do well enough to be worthwhile in about 4 hours.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

Proficiency in developing applications with at least one compiled language (Python, JavaScript, Node, Java, C#, C++).

:thunk:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well there is one compiled language there, so

Though C++ is technically pooping out c too

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

PokeJoe posted:

java script: The Good Parts

It's a pretty quick read.

Edit: Nice

java script: The Good Parts
JavaScript : The Good Parts

tk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 12, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it's a 2008 read, you're not going to be able to understand some react whatever from it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

sheesh, i'd forgotten how stressful interviewing is

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echi you should just find something you tolerate and dig into it. There's such a wide range of poo poo you can learn if you look around for the perfect stack or whatever you're gonna be spinning your wheels forever. The web flavor of the day changes all the time but you're always gonna need to know how to "program" in general. you're gonna need some way to manage the UI. You're gonna need some sort of logic layer for manipulating data be it server or client side. Other than that it's a mishmash of whatever bullshit a given team is comfortable using. If you really want to do a serious career change do this:

Right now, go look at web dev jobs in your area that you might want.

Read their tech stack requirements. Go read a bunch of postings and note what shows up the most. It's probably gonna be some flavors of react, node, JS, html, css, python, etc. Write down the big ones at the interesting jobs.

Look that poo poo up and learn it. It's that simple, really. If everyone wants node and js front ends just look around for some educational materials until you can build your idle clicker game using that stack

Put the game on your resume and apply to jobs, you'll get some responses for sure. Your background as a pharmacist will give you bonus brain points with tech people because real sciences are a mystery to them

if you have a real website with a game you can play on your resume you will be given the time of day at web dev places

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kinda imagining that ecchi is at the "computers are deterministic, even the nondeterministic parts of computers" and "gigo" and "the computer does not care about you" and "here is what debugging is, here is how to debug" stage of puter-lernin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

echi you should just find something you tolerate and dig into it. There's such a wide range of poo poo you can learn if you look around for the perfect stack or whatever you're gonna be spinning your wheels forever. The web flavor of the day changes all the time but you're always gonna need to know how to "program" in general. you're gonna need some way to manage the UI. You're gonna need some sort of logic layer for manipulating data be it server or client side. Other than that it's a mishmash of whatever bullshit a given team is comfortable using. If you really want to do a serious career change do this:

Right now, go look at web dev jobs in your area that you might want.

Read their tech stack requirements. Go read a bunch of postings and note what shows up the most. It's probably gonna be some flavors of react, node, JS, html, css, python, etc. Write down the big ones at the interesting jobs.

Look that poo poo up and learn it. It's that simple, really. If everyone wants node and js front ends just look around for some educational materials until you can build your idle clicker game using that stack

Put the game on your resume and apply to jobs, you'll get some responses for sure. Your background as a pharmacist will give you bonus brain points with tech people because real sciences are a mystery to them

if you have a real website with a game you can play on your resume you will be given the time of day at web dev places

excellent suggestions thanks for the effort

I’ve got a job interview tonight after work for this new gig, and it’ll kick me out of my comfort zone (if I get it, and looks like they’ve come to me before they’re casting a net) and put me in a good place for this.

Regardless, what you’ve described interests me. My end game would benefit deeply from a good understanding of full stack and also frontline health care experience so it’s all in the right direction.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kinda imagining that ecchi is at the "computers are deterministic, even the nondeterministic parts of computers" and "gigo" and "the computer does not care about you" and "here is what debugging is, here is how to debug" stage of puter-lernin

lol what

CarForumPoster posted:

Learning to deploy stuff is a super useful skill BTW. Heroku, AWS, and (I assume) GCP all have generous free tiers. Having a github that shows off a demo with stuff deployed to the same services these companies use is a HUGE resume boost.

:hmmyes:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

excellent suggestions thanks for the effort

lol what

dobby boy kinda makes up his own phrases...it skirts being word soup

If you take a new job that works weekend make sure youre gettin paper for it. If you're trying to make a big change, do it, making a little change seems like a distraction from the big change.

Also echi, have you ever been eval'd by a doctor for ADHD? Do your long term romantic partners complain about you following through on maintenance tasks like picking up socks? Do they act like your mother? Do you read the page of a book once...realize you have no idea what it said and then read it again? As a dude with ADHD diagnosed 20+ years ago I kinda smell it here but can't really tell over the interwebs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it doesn't really matter where he's at. if he wants a job his goal should be to learn what the job requirements are and then learn how to do those requirements. those requirements include knowing what all that stuff is but it's still way better to have an actual goal to work towards rather than "learn to program websites i guess idk"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

dobby boy kinda makes up his own phrases...it skirts being word soup

If you take a new job that works weekend make sure youre gettin paper for it. If you're trying to make a big change, do it, making a little change seems like a distraction from the big change.

Also echi, have you ever been eval'd by a doctor for ADHD? Do your long term romantic partners complain about you following through on maintenance tasks like picking up socks? Do they act like your mother? Do you read the page of a book once...realize you have no idea what it said and then read it again? As a dude with ADHD diagnosed 20+ years ago I kinda smell it here but can't really tell over the interwebs.

its funny you say that, because while I've had an inclination that was the case for maybe ten years or more, only in the past month have I actually thought about it seriously. I've talked to my dr about it and he's got me and partner and mum to fill out a form and have a look at the next stage.

if I do, it's not severe, because I can somewhat navigate life and make it on time to work etc. but I read this book "driven to distraction", or at least some of it, and when it came to the part with 20 criteria, I just was like yep yep yep yep yep...

and if I am not, well, I exhibit similar traits. at the very least I probably have adhd lite, and apart from ritalin, pretty much every other tool and solution someone with adhd can use to progress is something I can take advantage from and learn from too. like to do lists. boy am I starting to have some to do lists

as far as getting paid more for weekends.. that's not really something that happens in pharmacy :cry: but the payrate should be good, and having 3 days off a week, including 2 during the week will do wonders for me.

PokeJoe posted:

it doesn't really matter where he's at. if he wants a job his goal should be to learn what the job requirements are and then learn how to do those requirements. those requirements include knowing what all that stuff is but it's still way better to have an actual goal to work towards rather than "learn to program websites i guess idk"

this makes a lot of sense, because sometimes I do fall into that trap of meta-work where im spending a lot of time deciding what to work on rather than working, and making a commitment to a set of tools is far better than getting three inches into dozens of tools

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

it's a 2008 read, you're not going to be able to understand some react whatever from it

You’re not going to understand the hosed up poo poo react does without understanding JavaScript first.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its new es6 hosed up poo poo, is the rub. spread operators and arrow funcs far as the eye can see

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

spread operators and arrow funcs far as the eye can see

Huh, that's weird. I don't see you on my list of OnlyFans subscribers???

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

its funny you say that, because while I've had an inclination that was the case for maybe ten years or more, only in the past month have I actually thought about it seriously. I've talked to my dr about it and he's got me and partner and mum to fill out a form and have a look at the next stage.

if I do, it's not severe, because I can somewhat navigate life and make it on time to work etc. but I read this book "driven to distraction", or at least some of it, and when it came to the part with 20 criteria, I just was like yep yep yep yep yep...

and if I am not, well, I exhibit similar traits. at the very least I probably have adhd lite, and apart from ritalin, pretty much every other tool and solution someone with adhd can use to progress is something I can take advantage from and learn from too. like to do lists. boy am I starting to have some to do lists

as far as getting paid more for weekends.. that's not really something that happens in pharmacy :cry: but the payrate should be good, and having 3 days off a week, including 2 during the week will do wonders for me.

driven to distraction is an excellent read! I think! I only made it through 3/4th of the audiobook! Hallowell is cited by pretty much every other book, the great irony is its a long loving book on ADHD.

You're definitely a successful dude. If you have ADHD, you've done a great job of using its benefits + your own coping skills to achieve something that is hard to do. Still, I've read like 10 of your posts and think "this dude has ADHD", which I dont think about anyone else ITT. I think some of the challenges/consequences of ADHD are presenting themselves for you right now. Finding the activation energy to embark on this new task, transitioning computers from something you hyperfocus on for fun, when the hyperfocus strikes, to something you do as a maintenance task because it might be rewarding...it has a good chance of ending up like the other stuff where, after a while, you're searching for a big change. If you do have ADHD, structured treatment with someone knowledgeable about ADHD, acting like a coach, could probably help you find the right decision for your situation. That treatment may or may not involve meds. ADHD has many great things, including unlocking rewarding paths in life...but boy it can also derail career goals.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

its not nice to gently caress with the noob, especially if theyre a real adult and still a noob unlike hbag or something

wait but why is it okay to gently caress with me

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

its new es6 hosed up poo poo, is the rub. spread operators and arrow funcs far as the eye can see

Wait, what’s wrong with arrow functions?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

Wait, what’s wrong with arrow functions?

nothings wrong w em, they just aren't in crockford's book because he wrote that poo poo in 2008

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

do you mean qhat?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

wait but why is it okay to gently caress with me

you’ll figure it out when you’re older

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

do you mean qhat?

"you can learn javascript in an hour"

lol

no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

driven to distraction is an excellent read! I think! I only made it through 3/4th of the audiobook! Hallowell is cited by pretty much every other book, the great irony is its a long loving book on ADHD.

You're definitely a successful dude. If you have ADHD, you've done a great job of using its benefits + your own coping skills to achieve something that is hard to do. Still, I've read like 10 of your posts and think "this dude has ADHD", which I dont think about anyone else ITT. I think some of the challenges/consequences of ADHD are presenting themselves for you right now. Finding the activation energy to embark on this new task, transitioning computers from something you hyperfocus on for fun, when the hyperfocus strikes, to something you do as a maintenance task because it might be rewarding...it has a good chance of ending up like the other stuff where, after a while, you're searching for a big change. If you do have ADHD, structured treatment with someone knowledgeable about ADHD, acting like a coach, could probably help you find the right decision for your situation. That treatment may or may not involve meds. ADHD has many great things, including unlocking rewarding paths in life...but boy it can also derail career goals.

thanks for this. there’s a lot of things here I relate to. I know for certain almost any success I’ve had is thru finding the work easy and not by virtue of hard work. the structure of work makes daily work fine. and I only really got thru uni because I found the work easy, and that which I didn’t, I just did poorly at rather than employ hard work

anyway I hope to progress with the diagnosis, even if it’s just to quell naysayers like my ex wife who just think i’m lazy

at the moment I have a bunch of stuff going on in life I feel good about, which is a good place for me to be, drive in one area adds to drive in others.

thanks for the effort posts. now i’m off to dream about crime committer and also lining up a photoshoot with a 70s skater chick vibe which is extremely off topic but just another thing to be excited about and gives me drive

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the only way to learn programming is to program. you can read book after book about programming and still not have any clue. you have to DO it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well just had sort of job interview.

lady basically said that i had made such a good impression with the staff I had worked with on sundays (when i locumed earlier this year) that she felt she basically had to give me first dibs. and she said everyone said I was so good with customers.

what’s nice about that is that when I was working as a locum I wasn’t doing those things to try to get a job, but just treating fellow employees with respect and being myself with customers, and that it turns out it was quite impressive

anyway, sounds like the manager and staff are rooting for me, so just gotta get the boss to say yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the only way to learn programming is to program. you can read book after book about programming and still not have any clue. you have to DO it

i very highly recommend doing both. ive learned an absolute shitload from reading programming books