Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/wCDIYvFmgW8
Skip to 2:05.

Edit:lousy snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Throne room scene leaked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcn9ILmU-Ig

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm both mad at how out of nowhere that is, and that it makes so much sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's certainly not who I expected, but I trust that he's going to find an angle there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
He’s too old

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

“If Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen…of my entourage…so wishes,” he said, “I relieve him of all restraint... and give him... freedom... to choose, his own course, in this.”

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

FBS posted:

“If Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen…of my entourage…so wishes,” he said, “I relieve him of all restraint... and give him... freedom... to choose, his own course, in this.”

"If Feyd... WHO you've all met... wishes it, he can.... meet you with.... MY weapon of choice."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I wonder if The Emperor's Short Blade will be a thing or if it'll just be like any other prop.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Honestly I would've been 100% on for this before seeing severance but after seeing severance it's very clear that he's only getting more powerful with age

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeYFcfJLS0

"The spice...is gonna flow!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Benagain posted:

Honestly I would've been 100% on for this before seeing severance but after seeing severance it's very clear that he's only getting more powerful with age

The part where he's flirting with John Turturro's character is like drat, maybe I would date Christopher Walken.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

muscles like this! posted:

The part where he's flirting with John Turturro's character is like drat, maybe I would date Christopher Walken.

When his character appears in Severance, I really thought Ben Stiller was using him as a throw away just for the weirdness.

It was a pleasant surprise to see how they actually put him to use, just a great performance.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Penitent posted:

When his character appears in Severance, I really thought Ben Stiller was using him as a throw away just for the weirdness.

It was a pleasant surprise to see how they actually put him to use, just a great performance.

Yeah, obviously Walken has been extremely meme-y for a long time now, but he's always good and more often than not he's great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pop on some creepy de-aging tech and let him do whatever he wants, we're in the hands of an expert here.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This is either the most genius or the most unhinged casting decision in history.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He’s too old

well why not posted:

Pop on some creepy de-aging tech and let him do whatever he wants, we're in the hands of an expert here.
Isn’t he supposed to look deceptively young for his age? Like still has red hair n poo poo, right?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

well why not posted:

This might be the first time de-aging is actually a good idea. Embrace the uncanny valley horror vibes as an artistic choice because yeah that’s how spice works, it keeps you supernaturally young which is loving creepy. Mocap him so you get old man shuffles in a young body. Just leave the eyes 79 years old.

(Obviously you’d have to make it play as your intent and not a rationalization for lovely CG)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Odoyle posted:

Isn’t he supposed to look deceptively young for his age? Like still has red hair n poo poo, right?

Yeah, part of the whole thing with Spice is that it lengthens life so Shaddam is supposed to look like he's in his 30's even though he's like 78.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

https://youtu.be/wCDIYvFmgW8
Skip to 2:05.

Edit:lousy snipe.

The only thing lousy about this is suggesting that anyone should ever skip any part of this video.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just wonder if they'll drop a line about Shaddam being 150 years old and looking 70 instead of 80->40 or whatever. The actual age doesn't feel like a big deal but him looking younger than he should seems like a significant detail.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The only person in the cast who even came close to my mental picture of the character was Rebecca Ferguson, but everyone owned their roles no matter what, so I'm pretty okay with Walken, stunt-casting or not.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'll do anything for some behind the scenes footage of Walken doing some of his Weapon of Choice dance moves in full emperor costume in the desert.

He's an immensely talented actor when he is not doing his shtick. I'm really hoping we get Christopher Walken and not Christopher WALken. I don't have any reason to doubt Villeneuve.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There’s a pretty hard, low ceiling on the amount the emperor can be in basically any film adaptation, so I think at least the risk is limited

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I hope they DeNiro him except intentionally make the discontinuity between physicality and appearance jarring and uncanny.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Christopher Walken is ancient by now (79) but I've seen him in a few recent things and he still brings it. Dude is just really really good

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

I just wonder if they'll drop a line about Shaddam being 150 years old and looking 70 instead of 80->40 or whatever. The actual age doesn't feel like a big deal but him looking younger than he should seems like a significant detail.

This makes the most sense. Casting an actor in their 40s and saying "this dude is actually 79 years old can you believe it!" just wouldn't work in film. I trust Denis to make it work regardless of his approach.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Plus you'll have to explain why a dude who looks 35 has a daughter of marriable age. Muxh easier to say that this geriatric is actually like 150.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I actually think the idea of Florence Pugh being Chris Walken's daughter, whether he's 80 but looks 40 or 150 looking 80, is pretty unsettling!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
It seemed a bit stunt cast-y to me at first, but now I've thought about it, I kinda love it?

No de-ageing, please: keep him looking old to represent entrenched and corrupt power, and to contrast with Chalamet's youth. Walken is tall and physically imposing and I'm sure he could rock a ceremonial military uniform, if they go that way. He can play cold-blooded. I'm imaging a totally ruthless, reptilian outer-space gangster who will do anything to keep his power, including cutting a deal with the Harkonnens.

The Emperor is pretty much a blank slate in the book, so there's room to go in any direction you want. It's great that this is an off-beat choice and they didn't go for some old British thesp or something.

Also love NmareBfly's idea of making the character like 150 years old.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Plus you'll have to explain why a dude who looks 35 has a daughter of marriable age. Muxh easier to say that this geriatric is actually like 150.

Rebecca Ferguson is 12 years older than Chalamet, Isaac is 17 years older.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lobster Henry posted:

Also love NmareBfly's idea of making the character like 150 years old.

Yes, that tracks way better with the story's themes, as well. The Emperor should read as this unnatural, desperate, fragile pretender who'd blow over in a strong wind. The feeling of House Corrino in general should be that it's on life support, a dying relic clinging to power by any means necessary. A guy who looks 30 is way too vital for that; an elderly man who's actually centuries old kind of nails the suggestion.

I wish every choice was as weird as Christopher Walken, though; like, instead of the very normal and healthy-looking Florence Pugh, I kinda wish that Irulan came off like some sort of bizarre designer cat, had an uncanny inbred vibe like the Targaryans were supposed to. Which is an insulting prompt for an actor, but there are probably a lot of actors with a high fashion-y look who'd fit what I mean. (No actual complaints about Florence Pugh, though. She's been fantastic in every role I've seen her in.)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Xealot posted:

I wish every choice was as weird as Christopher Walken, though; like, instead of the very normal and healthy-looking Florence Pugh, I kinda wish that Irulan came off like some sort of bizarre designer cat, had an uncanny inbred vibe like the Targaryans were supposed to. Which is an insulting prompt for an actor, but there are probably a lot of actors with a high fashion-y look who'd fit what I mean. (No actual complaints about Florence Pugh, though. She's been fantastic in every role I've seen her in.)

I'm sure Anya Taylor-Joy is used to it by now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xealot posted:

They already have Timmy Chalamet

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Florence Pugh owns, sorry about your catgirl fantasies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Failed Imagineer posted:

We gotta wait for the sequels for those.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only the Tleilaxu understand my heart or its needs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I like this guys videos, you might too. It's mostly a compare/contrast, but there's a lot stuff that was new to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0krUthYxF4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep mentally mixing up Christopher Walken and William Dafoe.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I keep mentally mixing up Christopher Walken and William Dafoe.
Christopher Walken and William Dafoe should have a kid, who'd be an absolute star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ever since that casting was announced I’ve been trying to picture Walken as Wallace in BR2049. I don’t see a scenario where he isn’t better than Jared Leto.