Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Kendrick totally cribbed the premise of We Cry Together from that one scene from Baby Boy.

E: Also, lol at y'all thinking that depiction is approval.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
god drat it i read all of your takes before giving it a listen and now i don't want to

but i will

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i feel like drat did a better job of balancing all the personal poo poo with bangers

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Thread bad. And dumb. And deaf?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

RBX posted:

the wildest this thread got in my memory was when king kunta came out a lot of people really didn't like it and i felt like i was going insane. to the thread's credit more than one person retracted their previous position several listens later and admitted that it was, indeed, a loving banger.

e: this was seven years ago. seven.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If the Infamous came out today guaranteed somebody would say "not enough bangers, everything sounds the same"

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Mother I Sober is an astounding song

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

It's a beautiful, Kendrick-rear end Kendrick album. I can't imagine a single person going "I never liked Kendrick before but I like this", but the opposite, yeah, sure.
No super strong feelings on first listen but I definitely like it.

(and Ghostface feature owns, even though something kiiiinda feels off with the mixing or whatever, too echo-y imo)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

god drat it i read all of your takes before giving it a listen and now i don't want to

but i will

lol I just skipped the last two pages

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Marching Powder posted:

the wildest this thread got in my memory was when king kunta came out a lot of people really didn't like it and i felt like i was going insane. to the thread's credit more than one person retracted their previous position several listens later and admitted that it was, indeed, a loving banger.

I really liked Alright and none of the other songs on that record. A lot of Kendrick’s output, to me, sounds overly busy and not especially fun to actually listen to.

Curious about this new record! Hope there are a couple of focused tracks that I can latch onto.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely like this less than drat and GKMC. Not sure about TPAB yet. This new one is basically TPAB with less annoying pretentious stuff but also less bangers

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

So far I like this less than TPAB and drat but it'll take a few listens. I really enjoyed the pretentious jazzyness of TPAB.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

DC Murderverse posted:

Are there any double albums out there that would not benefit from just being one album with all the good tracks?

I would say Life After Death. I love all of Sandinista!, but it's pretty much the perfect example of what you're talking about.

I'm not certain on this, but I think double albums count double in terms of sales. At least they used to before streaming.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Best to Worst:

TPAB
GKMC
drat
MMATBS
Section 80
UU

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

it's art but the kind of art that's ugly as poo poo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dexo posted:

This Album sucks.

Like if I want to look at it academically, he is very good at rapping, but there is jack poo poo on this album that pulls me in, or makes me want to listen to it again.

This is by far his worst project by a few magnitudes.

https://twitter.com/abovethebreak3/status/1524986142067548160

Which is fine, it's clear he's working on some personal poo poo, but man that was not appealing to listen to at all

36 likes on that tweet

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

Alright and King Kunta get the airplay but the legacy from that album is The Blacker The Berry.

Assassin was everywhere that year.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I liked it overall though the amount of Kodak Black kind of skeeves me out (ya know, cause of the sexual assault). Not to mention how conflicted Auntie Diaries makes me... like it's a pro trans song that also misgenders both people constantly. I get what he's going for but still. Gonna have to give it a few more listens and dig into the lyrics before I make my mind up for sure.

Releasing Heart Pt 5 just before this was a mistake though cause it's better than anything on the album.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Queer Salutations posted:

Releasing Heart Pt 5 just before this was a mistake though cause it's better than anything on the album.

definitely hahah

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Wesleys theory, Institutionalized, For Sale, you aint gotta lie…. TPAB is really good. I love it

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wesley’s Theory is my favourite song from TPAB and I think the first track on this one is gonna end up my fave too

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
We Cry Together should win some Grammy but I’m not sure which one. Most uncomfortable performance.

LiveFromSaturn
Dec 5, 2021
This is Kendrick’s TLOP and that’s a good thing

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

RBX posted:

When I bookmarked this thread I opened it to page 600 and something and it was right when TPaB had been released and it was the exact same reaction.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't finished it yet but I like this album so far

I think I hit Kendrick Overload at one point and it's been enough time since his last work that I'm just primed and ready

I was at a point where I rated TPAB really low because I felt like it was too self-indulgent with the skits and constant lead-ins with the "I remember I was conflicted..." poo poo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

36 likes on that tweet

Who gives a poo poo, sorry the social media engagement isn't high enough for you lmao

Marching Powder posted:

That's the thing I am a TPAB defender. I loved that album. U is one of my favorite Kendrick tracks, That is an insanely good album.

The person saying this is less pretentious than TPAB I do not understand at all. This is easily Kendrick at his most pretentious, unless you are just equating a jazzy sound to mean pretentiousness or whatever.

The infamous does indeed slap is the thing, this album does not.

This album has like maybe 3-4 tracks I'd ever want to listen to again

United in Grief
Rich Spirit
Father Time(Sampha is great)
And maybe Silent Hill.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

LiveFromSaturn posted:

This is Kendrick’s TLOP and that’s a good thing

lol I was actually thinking while I was listening "this is what Kanye wishes his stuff was sounding like"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I should clarify, like if you ask me to put on my music reviewer hat, This is a really really well produced album, with solid writing and performances. Kendrick is an insanely technically competent artist.

But man, this album just doesn't move me like his other music has, it's by far to me the worst of his like 6-7 projects, as It's the only one I will probably not come back to, like I regularly do for OD, S80, GKMC, TPAB, drat and a decent chunk of Untitled.

Maybe my opinion changes, but man listening to that last night I did not find myself getting drawn in like I usually do with his music.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
i'm gonna wait till i'm good and hosed up to listen to it tonight but i do know my initial reaction to TPAB (probably in this very thread) was p negative and i grew to enjoy that one, so we'll see. GKMC is still the only one i can go back to front-to-back any time tho.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/crackconnoisser/status/1525118823879348224

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dexo posted:

Who gives a poo poo, sorry the social media engagement isn't high enough for you lmao

“Streets are saying” bitch you posted a tweet no one even saw get the gently caress out of here lmao

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I can’t make it through an entire Kendrick album in one sitting since Good Kid. I think I have pretty consistently made bad posts about not enjoying his albums front to back ITT so I will go ahead and say I am not trying to listen to 18 kendrick Lamar songs. It’s just too much for me. I would honestly probably enjoy the kanye short album Wyoming thing with him.

Generally my favorite songs of his are the poppiest ones. Bitch don’t kill my vibe, yah, the recipe. Although TBH I think he peaked with Sherane and wesleys theory

propyleneglycol
Jan 11, 2019

I liked it overall though the amount of Kodak Black kind of skeeves me out (ya know, cause of the sexual assault). Not to mention how conflicted Auntie Diaries makes me... like it's a pro trans song that also misgenders both people constantly. I get what he's going for but still. Gonna have to give it a few more listens and dig into the lyrics before I make my mind up for sure.

Auntie Diaries has me conflicted too. I think the message of it is nice, but the way he went about it is weird. It was almost as if he wanted to get the f-word out as many times as possible before he had to stop saying it forever. If he got permission from his Aunt to deadname I guess that’s fine, but saying you’re an ally and learning and then doing two terrible things is not a good start.
I don’t think the song needed the f-word added to it. I did like after he talks about overcoming his problems and being willing to learn he references it as the “f-word”, until he said the actual word again like 4 lines later.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

“Streets are saying” bitch you posted a tweet no one even saw get the gently caress out of here lmao

lol

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Streets are saying this mf need to get over it and smoke some weed

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

After sleeping on it, I definitely don't think I liked it as much as drat. or GKMC or even TPAB (which I initially didn't like but came around on). I don't think this had the real timeless standout songs that those albums had. I'm still gonna listen to it again because I don't wanna be too critical of it after only one listen, but it's not the kind of album I felt the need to listen to again immediately after my first listen like drat. was, for example.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Album was good on first listen and some pretty wild subject matter. It’s gonna take a while to digest. But this thread hated TPAB on release so it’s not like what’s happening here is too crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

We were right to