Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

RabbitWizard posted:

That does not help at all ;)

Regarding the Paradox comparison, Private just means that the DLCs are entirely optional and importantly, entirely modular.
They all just bolt additional sectors and races onto the existing 'map' (just like, onto the edge where you couldn't get to without the DLC, for example. So there are inactive jump gates around the place and the different DLCs activate the gates to the relevant areas (Split Vendetta for Split space, Cradle of Humanity for Terran space, Tides of Avarice for a cut-off group of scavengers' space)

Additionally, you can mix and match throughout your save and not have any issues. So if you like, you could sample the vanilla game first, see what you think, then if/when you want to, you can buy whichever expacks you want.

Personally, I'd recommend starting with CoH and/or ToA, since both of those expansions have pretty 'new player friendly' plotlines that introduce features. Split Vendetta seems to moatly consist of adding more lategame missions that require a LOT of money, etc, so it's 100% OK to not buy that one until you've completed the other two and have a decent industry set up, in my opinion.

The extra collector content is just random bits and pieces which you may or may not want, as it's not ingame content. If you want a bundle, get the 'X4 Foundations 2022' bundle. They recently rejigged the Steam content for X4, but didn't update the description for the extra content, seems like. (Since before the expansions came with a preorder collector's pack, but now it's the 2022 pack, which also gives you the random extra stuff)

EDIT: Hopefully some of this is coherent and can possibly help answer some questions. I'm in a COVID-fuelled daze at the moment though, so apologies if it's just unhelpful rambling! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Bernardo Orel posted:

After staring at the store page for several long minutes without blinking

Wow, tell me your secret

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Hopefully some of this is coherent and can possibly help answer some questions. I'm in a COVID-fuelled daze at the moment though, so apologies if it's just unhelpful rambling! :D
That was quite helpful, thanks :)

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I just got the Astrid in my current save. Egosoft needs to release an XL Battleship with a fully modeled interior and sell it as a $40 dlc.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
It has no Astrid Interior but the Erlking does make for a fine personal battlewagon. I don't get the main battery, compared to Terran and Split batteries it seems super anaemic whether it being used in short sustained bursts or long charges, but the L & M turrets more than make up for it. I purple modded the hell out of mine, mass mod, rotational thrust mod, shield capacity and projectile speed mods for the turrets. Not the fastest set up, I've had this thing going at over 900kph with a forward thrust mod but it handled like a whale, so it's set up to go at a more leisurely 600kph but a lot more manoeuvrable which is perfect for kiting Ks and Is, engaging them at your optimal range while they can't get you, and parking 15km off a station, engage SETA while you manage your empire, turning off SETA to scoot around to get to the hard to hit areas and then re engaging SETA until the station is gone. You can solo purge a Xenon sector fairly painlessly this way. I had a hairy moment when a mess of fighters from a Xenon Wharf knocked out 2 of my three engines, so you're still vulnerable, I might park a Jian on top for extra AA.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 12, 2022

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Erlking also carries a pretty decent complement of ships for a support fleet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

I might park a Jian on top for extra AA.

Ohhhh, right! Since parked ships still use their turrets - I'd forgotten about that! They're also essentially invulnerable while parked, right? Or am I mistaken on that?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
they can get poked, but thats more accidental splashes, if possible, put all your s sized ships away . but an M sized ship should survive

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been trying to get into this but docking is killing me, 80% of the time when I try to dock I accidently hit S a little too much and I end up like inside the stations walls stuck, I've lost several starts like this already. I've read some about some sort of docking computer that helps is there a mod that would start me with that?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Docking Computer 2 is pretty cheap, like 50k-ish, and it entirely trivializes landing - if you can get to any equipment dock or wharf and pick the menu option to modify/upgrade your ship, it's in the software list. I suspect there's a mod somewhere for it, but you can add it to your ships almost immediately.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I've been trying to get into this but docking is killing me, 80% of the time when I try to dock I accidently hit S a little too much and I end up like inside the stations walls stuck, I've lost several starts like this already. I've read some about some sort of docking computer that helps is there a mod that would start me with that?

If you find yourself stuck inside something, get up and let an NPC take over flying and give them a command to fly somewhere. The game will let the AI phase back through the wall and you can take control back.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GaylordButts posted:

If you find yourself stuck inside something, get up and let an NPC take over flying and give them a command to fly somewhere. The game will let the AI phase back through the wall and you can take control back.
IIRC you also need to go make your camera look at something on the far side of the system so your ship is now far enough away from the actually -rendered part of the sector that it ignores physics/collision.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Or just alt-tab out

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not a big fan of docking, but a lot of people seeem to like it.
I just let otheer peoplee dock for me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

staberind posted:

Same. I mostly just take over for the fun bits, like space combat. As a result I'm absolutely certain the pilots of my personal fighter, destroyer and Asgard all despise me, as they've been turned from combat professionals into glorified chauffeurs

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mine just get sent to places only for my lazy rear end to teleport in, meet with someone, then teleport out again, leaving them there until they're told to go to another station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They love getting stuffed in the lift capsule and loaded into cargo storage while I turn on the time acceleration device and burn their lives down like a candle while I watch number go up from the comfy seat.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I feel like I've got to know the pilot of my Moreyra a little too well, considering how tight a squeeze it is to change pilots in that cockpit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

staberind posted:

I barely drive my own ship, let alone dock it.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Cool pilots know to hold shift and hit 1 2 3 4 in quick succession when waiting for stuff to happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kingturnip posted:

I feel like I've got to know the pilot of my Moreyra a little too well, considering how tight a squeeze it is to change pilots in that cockpit.

My personal Katana went in for an emergency dock on my Asguard against a Xenon fleet to protect it and the K sniped it before it could go internal.

Rip in peace Hallee :(

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
so, just how strong are teladi trade stations, it looks like we could find out.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

staberind posted:

Docking computer Mk 2
Point at LZ
Boost at the green hologram
100% of the time

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there any way to disable the bright white menu flash on map transitions? It's REALLY unpleasant and bothers me; makes me flinch every time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SW interworlds 0.6 is out now, which has:

- completely new galaxy map
- ground up factions/jobs/god rework
- economy rework
- new station modules
- reactive faction, emergent missions, bounty hunting and other systems
- more ships, weapons etc
- many other smaller changes

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgchDn2t5c

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also the base game just released a patch re-enabling ventures.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Less Fat Luke posted:

Neat but I'm not turning my mods off lol

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

RBA Starblade posted:

Neat but I'm not turning my mods off lol
LOL agreed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Less Fat Luke posted:

You would think that but no, apparently-- they re-enabled access to previously-unlocked venture-earned skins, but you can't build a venture dock and send ships out

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow, never thought this feature would take so much effort and pain for them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's not the first "historically single player game that tripped and ate poo poo repeatedly for a long rear end time trying to shove multiplayer in when nobody on the team has prior multiplayer/mmo experience" and it certainly won't be the last, but at least they released a generally feature-complete game before tilting at that windmill-- usually these stories are "the game was 90% done and then took another 2 years to actually come out"

Did they give a reason for removing ventures in the first place, or was it just a generic "wasn't up to par" kind of deal

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's not the first "historically single player game that tripped and ate poo poo repeatedly for a long rear end time trying to shove multiplayer in when nobody on the team has prior multiplayer/mmo experience" and it certainly won't be the last, but at least they released a generally feature-complete game before tilting at that windmill-- usually these stories are "the game was 90% done and then took another 2 years to actually come out"

Did they give a reason for removing ventures in the first place, or was it just a generic "wasn't up to par" kind of deal

at worst, this is pretty much the least multiplayer of online features possible. It's asynchronous, totally optional, and rewards cosmetics you can just cheat in anyway

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The Steam Summer Sale has a bundle that includes X4, its expansions, and all bonus content and soundtracks for $49.50. As far as I can tell, each individual component except for the most recent expansion is discounted to it's lowest level ever, too.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/25604/X4_2022_Bundle/

So I picked it up with no history with the series. I'm having fun learning all these crazy, opaque systems. I have six medium-size mining ships off getting me a steady income, and a fighter with upgraded components.

What's the next step? Wait until I get a few million and make a factory? Or do I set up trading routes?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

William Bear posted:

The Steam Summer Sale has a bundle that includes X4, its expansions, and all bonus content and soundtracks for $49.50. As far as I can tell, each individual component except for the most recent expansion is discounted to it's lowest level ever, too.

So I picked it up with no history with the series. I'm having fun learning all these crazy, opaque systems. I have six medium-size mining ships off getting me a steady income, and a fighter with upgraded components.

What's the next step? Wait until I get a few million and make a factory? Or do I set up trading routes?

Factories and Producing Everything is the money maker in X4, trade is an afterthought or how you sell your wares farther afield.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

William Bear posted:

You can set up a simple factory with 1,000,000 or less, but I'd just keep expanding your mining empire for a bit and do some missions, then when you have 2M get a few (or one big) factories

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I deep-dived a few hundred hours into X4 over the last few weeks and I think it's a step backwards from X3. Obtuse, unnecessary systems that get in the way and the end game is not as complete. Balance is ENTIRELY out of whack with ships like the Erlking that instantly kills every ship. Drive-by boarding makes a large amount of the game trivial. Having to purchase individual station modules is a huge downer. the separate station build inventory and having to micromanage purchasing of mass amounts of claytronics+hull parts to actually get stations up is way too fiddly. Ship "assignment" and the "do what leader does" dance only half-works when miners travel multiple gates because the ore density is ever so slightly higher 20 minutes away. The entire crew system feels completely half-baked and unnecessary. The separate "item inventory" system is filled with unnecessary and fiddly stuff. Medkits? It's all set up to waste your time - everything from crystal hunting to data leaks are just... unfun mechanics that makes me wonder why are they in an empire builder game at all.

Like, yeah X3 had a shittier UI but at least you could use hotkeys and SETA and the entirety of the game was bent on you building an trade empire with stations to build ships and eventually fleets. X4 is prettier but has effectively the same gameplay loop but with a lot more fiddly bits and half of it is broken. There's fun and enjoyment but there were really no "wow" moments for me like in X3 where I bought a little carrier with a jump drive and was able to hop around the galaxy for the first time, or hot jumping to support one of my mining ships and launching 20 different fighters. It's just... disappointing. I didn't get to that point but apparently carrier and larger fleet actions literally don't even work in X4.

In a game about trade empires the "auto-set prices" button's internal slider is about how much stock you have on hand so you end up having to set ware prices manually. They deliberately nerf'd galaxy traders and apparently want you to hand-manage all your ships? The whole point of empires is to automate all that poo poo away as you get larger, to have people for that. But apparently the devs don't agree.

A decade's worth of game development and refinement of the X formula and this is the result? Big thumbs down from me.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 27, 2022

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I deep-dived a few hundred hours into X4 over the last few weeks and I think it's a step backwards from X3. Obtuse, unnecessary systems that get in the way and the end game is not as complete. Balance is ENTIRELY out of whack with ships like the Erlking that instantly kills every ship. Drive-by boarding makes a large amount of the game trivial. Having to purchase individual station modules is a huge downer. the separate station build inventory and having to micromanage purchasing of mass amounts of claytronics+hull parts to actually get stations up is way too fiddly. Ship "assignment" and the "do what leader does" dance only half-works when miners travel multiple gates because the ore density is ever so slightly higher 20 minutes away. The entire crew system feels completely half-baked and unnecessary. The separate "item inventory" system is filled with unnecessary and fiddly stuff. Medkits? It's all set up to waste your time - everything from crystal hunting to data leaks are just... unfun mechanics that makes me wonder why are they in an empire builder game at all.

Like, yeah X3 had a shittier UI but at least you could use hotkeys and SETA and the entirety of the game was bent on you building an trade empire with stations to build ships and eventually fleets. X4 is prettier but has effectively the same gameplay loop but with a lot more fiddly bits and half of it is broken. There's fun and enjoyment but there were really no "wow" moments for me like in X3 where I bought a little carrier with a jump drive and was able to hop around the galaxy for the first time, or hot jumping to support one of my mining ships and launching 20 different fighters. It's just... disappointing. I didn't get to that point but apparently carrier and larger fleet actions literally don't even work in X4.

In a game about trade empires the "auto-set prices" button's internal slider is about how much stock you have on hand so you end up having to set ware prices manually. They deliberately nerf'd galaxy traders and apparently want you to hand-manage all your ships? The whole point of empires is to automate all that poo poo away as you get larger, to have people for that. But apparently the devs don't agree.

A decade's worth of game development and refinement of the X formula and this is the result? Big thumbs down from me.

I got an email for an x4 survey from egosoft so I pasted most of this with some editing into the "anything else you wanna tell us?" section. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is how auto pricing worked in X3 as well, it lowers the price as you build up more stock, which is also exactly how the NPCs do it, on the rationale that the more you have the more you need to get rid of it and eventually you will hit a price where someone is willing to pay it. I don't really know what a better way to do it would be that wouldn't run into issues with stuff not selling sometimes. The scaling approach will always sell stuff eventually, and it will adjust to whatever the best price you can get is based on competition and market saturation.

Also no you aren't supposed to micromanage all your ships you assign them to a station and the station will send them to do stuff as needed, the only change from universe traders is that stations have a maximum operatiing distance so you can't just build one station and sell to literally the entire universe any more, you need to set up a distribution chain if you want to sell over a wider range where you use big freighters to ship wares to a trading station which can then sell them on to its local area.

You can just throw money at stations and they will buy their building supplies themselves, I really don't know what you're getting at with the idea that you have to do everything by hand. You can copy and paste sections of stations or blueprint entire ones if you want to set up lots of them, it's far less fiddly than X3 was.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 13, 2022

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

If anything, there is far less micromanagement in X4. In X3 you needed to buy, load, unload, place, and connect every single station in a production chain. Now you can place ghost builds, copy and paste whole segments (this is fiddly but it works), toss some cash into the build budget, hire a builder then it gets built for you in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

If anything, there is far less micromanagement in X4. In X3 you needed to buy, load, unload, place, and connect every single station in a production chain. Now you can place ghost builds, copy and paste whole segments (this is fiddly but it works), toss some cash into the build budget, hire a builder then it gets built for you in the background.

Yeah, station building in X4 is miles ahead of what it was in X3. The finished product also looks a hell of a lot better, to boot! :v:
Plus everything OwlFancier said is very valid. Honestly, as good as it was, I can't imagine going back to X3 now that I've played X4