Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm at the end of the Grand Line, and I found One Piece!

You know what that means...BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*Every person from every island, Blue, kingdom, pirate crew, and Marine squad come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Obviously Garp couldn’t have done it without Roger, although I do wonder if there was more to it than that. Even Garp + Roger + Rayleigh must have had a hard time against Xebec + Whitebeard + Linlin + Kaidou + Shiki. OK, they had Gaban and the other Roger Pirates, but from what we saw in Oden’s flashback those guys were strong but not that strong, and some other Rocks Pirates like Silver Axe were supposed to be fairly strong too. Did Whitebeard switch sides? Was Imu desperate enough to help out in person?

TBF on a few things here: Kaidou didn't have his mythic zoan fruit yet and even though he was reportedly a still a beast (heh) he was younger and probably less powerful over all, this is also potentially true for Linlin. Also so far we only have a single(?) panel from the fight which notably doesn't have Shiki so he might've been absent for the incident (maybe it was while he was recovering from the injury he got from Roger? or hell, maybe after that injury Shiki was hesitant to face Roger and made himself scarce)

One potentially big clue in this chapter is the panel where some character is speculating about "infighting" among the Rocks pirates being the reason that they lost, overlaid with Linlin asking Kaidou where he went. It's possible the Rocks crew wasn't totally on board with what was going on and maybe Kaidou (or even others) left before a critical moment leading to the future schism and hurt feelings.

There's def a ton we don't know about how the fight could have gone, though I think it's fair to say that we shouldn't underestimate Roger who ended up becoming the pirate king and Garp who seemingly kept pace with Roger. While they might have lost 4 on 2 if all of the Rocks pirates had been at their absolute peaks, potentially only half of them were while Garp and Roger were likely the 2 strongest guys on the planet at the time.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Are we to take away from the text on the balloons that the flower capital folks have known about Onigashima hovering there menacinly the whole time?

Also, I'm predicting that Kaido killed the last person who ate gomu-gomu/nika-nika, if not multiple iterations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Remalle posted:

Also, I'm predicting that Kaido killed the last person who ate gomu-gomu/nika-nika, if not multiple iterations.

Kill 6 Billion Marines

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Remalle posted:

Are we to take away from the text on the balloons that the flower capital folks have known about Onigashima hovering there menacinly the whole time?

nah, a bunch of them are generic wishes to get rid of Kaidou, restore the Kozuki clan and bring back family members/get people food. Them cheering this chapter is just because they are sending their lanterns into the sky and allowing themselves a moment of hope. Otherwise it's just dramatic timing to have the one time of year the people would openly and collectively wish for Kaidou to go away line up with the exact moment that Luffy lands the KO punch on him

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Cat Machine posted:

Young Kaido is hot

gross he's 10

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I like how Luffy's wish for the world feels like a callback to how he sees a hero as someone who shares his meat.

Waffleman_ posted:

*Every person from every island, Blue, kingdom, pirate crew, and Marine squad come in with everything for a HUGE party*

I genuinely cannot wait to see how many minor characters Oda brings back for the Grand Finale.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Waffleman_ posted:

What the gently caress did Garp do to these guys

Punched them really loving hard

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Luffy is such a good guy he wants a world where his friends don't have to share their food obviously because there's enough for everyone.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

what is going on in the cover story arc, is what i want to know. we've got two silhouetted figures, who I don't think is Germa since their shoes had flat soles and not those weird bubbles, who showed up and now the lab is on fire. I'm really curious as to who it is. I doubt it's Sabo since we're still on the Levely cliffhanger with regards to him. It might be two people from Blackbeard's crew, but I have my doubts.

Most likely candidates are Gin and Pearl from Don Krieg's crew, IMO

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mabels big day posted:

this is important to Luffy but I cant imagine that it's his secret dream, because I can't see why anyone would think it's funny or childish

I guarantee if you say this to the majority of people in the world that we live in, they'd respond with some patronizing buzzword bullshit that implies that this is too idealistic and juvenile to ever be possible, even though it's perhaps the most basic ethical tenet imaginable and is a simple problem to solve.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if Kaido is considered defeated here, and the Flower Capital citizens don't realize it until they wake up the next day. Toki did emphasize in her final words that they would know "The Brilliance Of The Dawn"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the text box announcing the winner hasn’t popped up yet so anything could happen as far as I’m concerned

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The next chapter will have the inhabitants of Wano eat Kaido

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hope under wano is a big secret cave with amazing mechas

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Luffy beats everyone with a bigger or cooler punch, why should this be any different

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
If "Winner: Luffy" doesn't appear right at the start of next chapter (which would be really odd to not throw it on this last page for extra impact) then this battle isn't over.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Bleck posted:

I guarantee if you say this to the majority of people in the world that we live in, they'd respond with some patronizing buzzword bullshit that implies that this is too idealistic and juvenile to ever be possible, even though it's perhaps the most basic ethical tenet imaginable and is a simple problem to solve.

It's both something people might make fun of and a worthy dream of the man who will be the pirate king. He's basically advocating for decommodifying food. Everyone is sticking to the worldwide party thing because it's been a theory in the community for a long time. Obviously there is room to be wrong but at this time I think this is the reveal of the dream, and I love it. Comrade Luffy! :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the guy who grew up in a trash heap among the most deprived wants everyone to be able to eat.

Honestly though I love it. Luffys secret dream being something so simple yet makes ample amounts of sense considering who he is and how he grew up.

Id be fine with a simple explanation for the void century too. A time of plenty, cut short by greedy nobles, buried to quash the hopes of rebellion.

Comra D. Luffy

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gonna be weird next time Luffy says he'll be the pirate king and nobody can laugh anymore.
Only Shanks, BB and the Akainu left to go.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mabels big day posted:

this is important to Luffy but I cant imagine that it's his secret dream, because I can't see why anyone would think it's funny or childish
It can be laughed at in two ways. First, it can be seen as too small. "Really? All you care about is food? That's it?" Second it can be laughed at for not understanding the world. "Food isn't unlimited. Food costs money, and the nobles have all the money, so of course they're going to hoard it." or "If people had enough to eat they wouldn't have to work for the nobles and the whole world order would fall apart." or, without specifics, "You can't just make that happen. That's just not how the world works."

The fact that it's both childishly simple, but also implies a massive change to the world is perfect. Luffy doesn't have time for political theories, but he's not dumb. He's got a ton of emotional intelligence and can easily intuitively understand when people or social dynamics are good or bad.

I don't know that it's necessarily the dream, but even if it turns out to be the global party dream it's not like the two concepts are unrelated. You need food for a party, and eating as much as you like sounds like a party feast to me.

Basically I agree with this:

Ever Disappointing posted:

It's both something people might make fun of and a worthy dream of the man who will be the pirate king. He's basically advocating for decommodifying food. Everyone is sticking to the worldwide party thing because it's been a theory in the community for a long time. Obviously there is room to be wrong but at this time I think this is the reveal of the dream, and I love it. Comrade Luffy! :allears:
It really is perfect and works on a lot of layers. Any audience can understand that it's sad for people to go hungry. There's a lot of complexity on top of this issue, but at its core Oda never lost sight of the tragedy of Wano, which he introduced way back when Luffy first stepped onto its shores. A little girl didn't have enough to eat.

And if someone tells you that's just the natural state of the world, punch them in the face.

That is a very radical political idea, but presented in an incredibly simple and accessible way. It's totally perfect for Luffy.

Edit: Thinking it over I'm impressed at how effective Luffy is at rebuking the ideology of the Animal Kingdom Pirates. Kaido's all about the fact that humans are just another kind of animal, and brutality rules in nature. But Luffy rebukes him not by trying to construct some delicate notion of humanity being above all that because of civilization or order or anything like that, he comes at it with a really basic almost animal simplicity. Humans are animals motivated by animal desires, but compassion is one of those fundamental human desires.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 13, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Luffy's time on the Baratie was incredibly formative.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Scholtz posted:

Luffy's time on the Baratie was incredibly formative.

im wondering if his feelings are more based on what happened in gray terminal

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I guess its more like I can't imagine why characters like Ace or Whitebeard would laugh at it

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

im wondering if his feelings are more based on what happened in gray terminal
Luffy said it to Sabo and Ace way back when, so he already understood the problem before even setting out to sea. It’s definitely been reinforced by his journey through East Blue and the Grand Line too with stuff like Baratie and pretty much every “Luffy leads a revolution” arc, which always involves him helping people who are starving or thirsty. Hell, he gives Zoro something to eat when he first meets him, and there are a ton of times someone immediately won Luffy over because they offered him something to eat (Tama and Rebecca most recently)

Someone on here posted a while back that Zoro and Sanji are basically the two sides of Luffy’s personality - Zoro is his ambition and will, Sanji is his absolute care for others, always helping those who need it. I guess you could say this also maps onto his dreams to become the greatest pirate and feed everyone and why Luffy is so adamant that he needs Sanji with him to achieve his dreams - he is a chef after all

Consider me sold on the Monkey D. Buffet “feed the world” dream!!!

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 13, 2022

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Cuz what he really wants is a party for the whole world. And you need food for a party! He just needs to tell Shanks that he wants booze for everyone, and Blackbeard that… he isn’t invited?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liken what he says in this chapter to something he said towards the end of the Dressrosa Arc about how Doflamingo's presence is suffocating, not just for himself but for all the people on Dressrosa. Luffy's all about freedom: the freedom to move, to do what you want but equally not to hinder the freedom of others. In this arc we see Luffy declare his dream is that everybody will be able to eat all they want, and I think that's just an extension of that desire for freedom, partly born out of both the inspirational moments and the devastating moments of his childhood: the notion that people's freedom to enjoy everything that life has to offer is the ultimate dream worth fighting for.

In other words....

:hai:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up that Luffy is saying this now but earlier declared he doesn't like being a hero because he doesn't want to share any meat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

hosed up that Luffy is saying this now but earlier declared he doesn't like being a hero because he doesn't want to share any meat.

That's why he wants everyone to have access to as much food as they need, so he doesn't have to share his own

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

mabels big day posted:

I guess its more like I can't imagine why characters like Ace or Whitebeard would laugh at it

Sometimes someone has an idea that in retrospect is so drat obvious and beautiful that you cannot help but laugh, not even at it really, but at the fact that you didn't think of it.

Ace laughed but will let nobody else laugh at it because it is an idea worthy of respect. Whitebeard would laugh as well, much for the same reasons.

Heck its a great reason to be the pirate king because remember, Luffy doesn't want to share his meat

He wants everyone to have so much meat that they don't need to ask him for any of his!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Reaaaaally don't think that was the reveal of what Luffy and Roger said. Oda's built that moment up, what with the comparison to Roger, so you know when Oda actually does finish the sentence there'll be a callback to it.

Most of the flashbacks have underlined that Wano is a starving country, making it more of a retort on why Kaido's whole starvation deal, rather than an overarching thing. If you squint it works? But "throw the world a huge party" is a much stronger and consistent theme.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Know what you need at a party? food bam

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

poo poo. Nevermind then.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Waffleman_ posted:

That's why he wants everyone to have access to as much food as they need, so he doesn't have to share his own

In a terrible twist of irony Luffy figures out he needs people to actually make the food and becomes a Kaidou-esque dictator.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

In a terrible twist of irony Luffy figures out he needs people to actually make the food and becomes a Kaidou-esque dictator.
Or just Streusen.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Bisse posted:

I mean you're free to start the "One Piece: Is Bad, Actually" thread and start discussing Bad Piece by Kubo Tite in there with all your other friends.

Actually they can bring up whatever they want to about one piece. Then you can either engage with their opinion or ignore them and move on. But you nor anyone else here gets to dictate what people can and cannot discuss

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

luffy’s full of poo poo, we already know this from when he liberated food from the Beast Pirates after meeting Tama and could have eaten it all himself

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, I forgot the part with poison, even if it’s by accident that one panel sets up perfectly for Zoro spending two weeks eating factory waste contaminated fish and drinking poison sludge water.

one of my all time favorite dumb jokes from this series, when luffy tells him not to eat anything because it's all poisoned and zoro just says "ah thats why my stomachs been hurting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ryaomon posted:

Kaidou's (hey its spelled out this chapter for once) flashback was great because it was short and succinct. There's really nothing else you need to know or see to understand him. Oden's flashback felt like pulling teeth by the end. Hell, Baby 5's was like 6 panels and it affected me way more than Law's did.

oden's flashback ends with him holding the scabbards in the oil and then it's over in the next one. i am flabbergasted that someone not only didn't like it, but didn't like it as strongly as you're saying here. to me, it's one of the clear peaks of all of one piece