Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a lot of famous old art that absolutely deserves to be thrown in the garbage can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Doom Rooster posted:

This is a terrible analogy. Art deserves to be preserved. Old video games, not so much.

In time, when all the art has been scooped up, the nouveau riche will need a new investment to preserve their wealth against inflation.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Freakazoid_ posted:

In time, when all the art has been scooped up, the nouveau riche will need a new investment to preserve their wealth against inflation.
Then you just make and buy new art, that’s why I put all my money in chimp NFTs like a month ago. Wonder how they’re doing now.

edit: oh no

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

This is a terrible analogy. Art deserves to be preserved. Old video games, not so much.

We've reached a point in society that digital preservation is almost costless and while of course there are concerns that nothing on physical data medium will last more then 50-100 years there's no reason not to at least make an attempt. Let people in 40-50 years who are trying to figure out permanent ways to save game roms like embedded in DNA crystals decided what is worth saving.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Old video games are art. Art just isn’t stuff you personally like or I don’t know paintings and poo poo like that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

burn the mona lisa and preserve earthbound imo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
He should know his place imo, like a dog does!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

God I love the layers of anger one can have at this post. Truly a top tier post.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Studio posted:

God I love the layers of anger one can have at this post. Truly a top tier post.
It’s true, that post made me very angry, I give it 5 r’s out of arrrrrrgh

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What the gently caress, Blizzard?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We are now mathematically diverse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ActiBlizz posted:

“[The tool] identifies what stereotypical characters in different genres look like, which are not always the most conducive or representative of diversity. It helps identify those stereotypes, while also helping creatives look closer at their designs, so they can dissect their own assumptions and presets. It also helps identify opportunities for more diverse character narratives, to ensure that we are not only creating diverse characters in appearance alone.”

Er, loving how?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Er, loving how?

Math

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is a cishet white man having a breakdown

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Note, in OW2 they took away a cool defense move from an African character and gave her a spear throwing one instead.

So that algorithm is poo poo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lmao did they make a diagram to calculate how white their characters are

E: also every rear end in a top hat on the internet bitching about “token” minorities now has documentation to back up their bullshit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zil posted:

Note, in OW2 they took away a cool defense move from an African character and gave her a spear throwing one instead.

But this gave her an extra 0.5 points for culture!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah but you can’t argue with math.

Check and mate.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

which overwatch character is the most diverse mathematically

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Andrast posted:

We demand Science answer this question.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Andrast posted:

Probably Pharah

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Writing a program to mathematically determine when a video game is the good kind of racist is like a Rick and Morty joke that gets cut out of the first draft.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

The robot probably.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I desperately want to feed that tool like, a minions game

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

JFC they assigned every culture a rating, with American as a baseline 0. Egyptians get a 7. This is hosed up.

Also I want to see Actiblizz cause an international incident when somebody leaks the ratings for Palestinians and Israelis. Doesn’t matter what the result is, it will piss people off :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 13, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fruits of the sea posted:

JFC they assigned every culture a rating, with American as a baseline 0. Egyptians get a 7

Ah yes how very not racist

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lol stem nerds

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I see the person that created bioware's 'different standards of beauty' has advanced to the next level.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

You see Mr Kotick, we've assigned numerals to the variables in each character's cranium and looked for trends across racial lines. The computer is calculating the optimal skull as we speak. Yes absolutely we'll share the data with your "sweetie boo"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The most baffling thing isn't that this exists as some moron's idea of how to promote diversity, it's that they thought it would be a positive thing to release into the public knowledge.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Sounds like another problem only the blockchain can solve.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I actually think it is weirder that this apparently came from the King side of ABK.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MadHat posted:

I actually think it is weirder that this apparently came from the King side of ABK.

They couldn't let the others pull ahead

at racism

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To me, this also screams of frustrated management going "But you can't MEASURE diversity and inclusion! WE DEMAND METRICS!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1525194183228768257

If you'll look closely you'll see that one character is assigned Race as "Arab", which counts as 7 on the scale.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So is seven the max?

Why

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

So is seven the max?

Why

The math doesn’t work out if you go higher.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Got to make sure we're measuring inclusivity for ugly people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool