Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think something like a Bechdel test could be useful for looking at general trends in the game industry, but that’s not what we’re dealing with here :smith:

E: also Bechdel and its variants while simplistic still have more nuance because they ask things like “do minorities talk to each other about something that isn’t related to white male lead” and “do they have an inner life/development or do they exist just to progress the story”

Plus the original point/joke of the test was "this bar is so low it's practically on the ground, and most things still can't clear it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, like, The Last of Us 2 fails the Bechdel test and it’s literally a video game about a bisexual woman, a lesbian, a super jacked cishetwoman, and a transmasc teen. But your point is taken for sure, we could use better diversity heuristics in gaming, and we could use them immediately.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 13, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, like, The Last of Us 2 fails the Bechdel test and it’s literally a video game about a bisexual woman, a lesbian, a super jacked cishetwoman, and a transmasc teen. But your point is taken for sure, we could use better diversity heuristics in gaming, and we could use them immediately.

Tbh I feel like to fail the Bechdel test under those circumstances the writer would either have to be a fumbling Mr Bean type or deliberately doing a bad job.

But then again I don't write award winning video games so maybe having two women not mention a man for one entire conversation is just too hard.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hel posted:

This seems very much like an internal attempt by someone convince their boss to please let them have more characters that aren't cishet whiteguys, that was appropriated by someone higher up to try and present themselves as good. Especially with the fact that it was all unpaid.

I mean the original context is that this was made by King, a mobile developer. Mobile Games can work on muuuch larger scales of characters than an Overwatch can (I don't know King's games well tho), so having something to measure diversity isn't like, a bad idea. Lol at seeing it applied to Overwatch and presented like this though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Trying to assign things like Gender & Sexuality to your moon-mutant gorilla with a laser gun seems, at best, Sisyphysean

Moon gorilla likes to gently caress, what to you want to do about it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like this can't actually be true but I'm not gonna go looking through a script to find out.

What counts as talking about a man? Does a 15 minute conversation in which a man's name is mentioned once but is otherwise irrelevant count? Do any conversations driven by the subtext of Joel's death but not directly about it count?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I'm interested to see how the tool works outside of the hands of white people. Like is Egyptian still a 7.0 rating if you're a game dev situated in Cairo? Genshin Impact must get crazy diversity score for having a whole nation of Germans.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Why does their own software still call him McCree?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Realistically the screenshot was taken before all that happened

Alternatively just like literally anyone who still plays the game the devs still call him McCree.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ColdPie posted:

Moon gorilla likes to gently caress, what to you want to do about it

We must imagine Grape Ape happy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

We must imagine Grape Ape happy

God forbid we anger Rapier Ape

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Eej posted:

Realistically the screenshot was taken before all that happened

Alternatively just like literally anyone who still plays the game the devs still call him McCree.

if you go by the amount of heroes and which heroes are included the screenshot is from late 2018/early 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

stev posted:

I feel like this can't actually be true but I'm not gonna go looking through a script to find out.

What counts as talking about a man? Does a 15 minute conversation in which a man's name is mentioned once but is otherwise irrelevant count? Do any conversations driven by the subtext of Joel's death but not directly about it count?

It’s up to the discretion of the reader or critic, honestly, but the whole point is that if you have to add additional hoops or asterisks in order to “pass” the test then you’re already in shaky territory. “Well actually if you discount this pronoun in this scene you’ve actually got a pretty decent…” etc when you are just looking for any interaction whatsoever without a male being present or the subject of the interaction

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eej posted:

Personally I'm interested to see how the tool works outside of the hands of white people. Like is Egyptian still a 7.0 rating if you're a game dev situated in Cairo? Genshin Impact must get crazy diversity score for having a whole nation of Germans.

Only white people have white guilt they need to assuage by coming up with math to prove they aren't racist. King did it for marketing purposes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Trying to assign things like Gender & Sexuality to your moon-mutant gorilla with a laser gun seems, at best, Sisyphysean

For a second I thought you were talking about a laser gun that assigned gender & sexuality and was very confused.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about a laser gun that assigned gender & sexuality and was very confused.

Is that not how it happened for you?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

they could solve the whole McCree renaming thing by simply having him marry one of the other characters and taking their surname

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I haven't played Overwatch since the beta, what is the official reason he isn't mcree anymore? And how cringe was it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the official reason, but if you mean "what's the in-game reason," it's because he joined Overwatch under a fake name and is now going to use his real one. If you mean "why did they change his name," it's because he's named after an employee who turned out to be a sex pest.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I haven't played Overwatch since the beta, what is the official reason he isn't mcree anymore? And how cringe was it.

He was named after one of the devs.

Said dev got outed as a sexpest once All That poo poo started coming to light, so they wanted to distance themselves from it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BisbyWorl posted:

He was named after one of the devs.

Said dev got outed as a sexpest once All That poo poo started coming to light, so they wanted to distance themselves from it.

Gotcha. Yea just read the wiki, I was expecting worse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What counts as worse than being named after a sexual harrasser?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

What counts as worse than being named after a sexual harrasser?

Given it's Activision-Blizzard, I was expected him to be the creation of an employee that was sexually harassed and had been driven out and was part of a lawsuit against Kotick and that's when they decided to rename McCree.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Was that Mccree dev ever actually accused by anyone? Because every article I've gone through hasn't said, and he isn't accused in any of the legal filings either

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strategic Tea posted:

I love that middle class is 0. Presumably that means upper class is like -5 or something? Does it just say 'flip to page 2 - baddies'?
This is about diversity (as interpreted by MIT/King), not privilege. Upper class characters are less common, so they should give more points than middle class characters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Given it's Activision-Blizzard, I was expected him to be the creation of an employee that was sexually harassed and had been driven out and was part of a lawsuit against Kotick and that's when they decided to rename McCree.

Please, this isn't Riot Games

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am 90% sure I read that McCree was one of the abusers.

They did pressure one of their best writers into leaving because he corroborated the stories of harassment victims to HR though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/wowhead/status/1525386724544847872?s=21&t=b3qZivLTiemmbP9jRCfv3g

Whew, crisis avertahahahaha

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Our "we don't use a character diversity matrix" tweet raises a lot of questions answered by the tweet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah yes I often blog about racist ideas I have but don't follow through on.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I have received a lot of questions about my Calipers and Phrenology books, but I assure you those are strictly internal tools for testing promotion candidates.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1525194183228768257

If you'll look closely you'll see that one character is assigned Race as "Arab", which counts as 7 on the scale.

(barely containing rage) This is not okay. Ana is a milf and deserves far, far more that a 1 out of 7 on the beauty scale.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’m suddenly getting flashbacks to gamers losing their loving minds in chat & private messages when i picked her instead of a “optimal” healer. What a lovely loving community no wonder i stopped playing years ago

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Just astounded that every time I think surely ABK can’t own themselves any harder something like this comes to light.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I’m suddenly getting flashbacks to gamers losing their loving minds in chat & private messages when i picked her instead of a “optimal” healer. What a lovely loving community no wonder i stopped playing years ago

lol fwiw shes been a core staple to almost every team comp for like 4 years because people finally figured out how good hard cc and the only anti heal are

more on topic, I really love how consistently and hard blizzard drops the ball on every single action they take. announcing this news post in the first place, and then the new retraction just now. who is their loving PR department?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lube Enthusiast posted:

(barely containing rage) This is not okay. Ana is a milf and deserves far, far more that a 1 out of 7 on the beauty scale.
Ana's score of 1 makes her an entirely mainstream videogame babe within their metrics, as higher scores means a divergence from the norm.

A seven would probably be someone like this:

Please take care to keep your anger under control so as to approach issues with a calm and rational mind, so as to not fall prey to similar misapprehension in the future.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wait so the screen shots in this blog are 2018ish, and the comic where they revealed soldier 76 is gay came out 2019. Did they do that to juice their numbers?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
He had Diversity Points left over, and maxing out your Gay talent tree is really important if you want to be viable at endgame.

I specifically made myself White so I would have points left over to be more Gay, which makes me a better pick for raids.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mode 7 posted:

Just astounded that every time I think surely ABK can’t own themselves any harder something like this comes to light.

Every time I see that, I have to remind myself it's not Alistair Beckett King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Minera posted:

lol fwiw shes been a core staple to almost every team comp for like 4 years because people finally figured out how good hard cc and the only anti heal are

more on topic, I really love how consistently and hard blizzard drops the ball on every single action they take. announcing this news post in the first place, and then the new retraction just now. who is their loving PR department?

Remember the "do you not have phones" thing? I'm not surprised the people at the top of this conglomerate of crap are that loving stupid.

The short version for anybody who somehow missed "do you not have phones" is that the big final reveal at Blizzcon a few years back was Diablo Immortal, exclusively for phones, and they were shocked that people who were sufficiently hardcore fans of PC gaming to attend a convention about it would be unhappy about a phone-exclusive title.