Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

The Flames are going to red x a lot of people... I mean I have to be blindly optimistic but the rest of you are fools.

Sutter choosing to play low event nothing happens hockey against a bad team with a good goaler is certainly a choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not me, I never trusted the Flames

I don't trust a team that employs Jack Mother loving Johnson either so I guess the Blues/Wild winner is probably going to win the West.... if the Avs weren't playing JMFJ 18 minutes a night they'd steamroll their way to the Cup most likely

Well so far I have good news because JMFJ hasn't played yet in these playoffs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Huge if true

...gently caress, I forgot Erik Johnson was on the Avs too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettty pretty convenient to only bring it up once the Blues finally lose :colbert:

I'ved move it but i ultimately don't think it's going to matter after seeing their last game.

I picked Blues in 7 in part as a hometown pick, but yeah I Donno if we are gonna get to 7 games. Blues defense was already bad and they’re missing 2-3 of those 6 bad players and don’t have players of even that quality to replace them with.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

drat Flames and Panthers X’d a loooooot of people today

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Today's red is #da291c, Quebec Nordiques red, just because.

Getting big X-ey in here.

Still X-less:

deoju
FunOne
Mind_Taker

24 games in, we are at 149 goals scored. There fewest possible games remaining is 15, the highest number of possible games remaining is 32.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 8, 2022

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

It's beautiful.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Still X-less:

deoju
FunOne
Mind_Taker

Oh, hey, that's neat. I mostly just picked the higher seed and 6 or 7 game series. I expect to be X'd today or tomorrow.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Ouch Cats and Flames letting me down

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
the searing kiss of the red X lets me know spring has arrived. It hurts so good

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

How are the Rangers "not good" in any way?

Lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Powershift posted:

Today's red is #da291c, Quebec Nordiques red, just because.

Getting big X-ey in here.

Still X-less:

deoju
FunOne
Mind_Taker

24 games in, we are at 149 goals scored. There fewest possible games remaining is 15, the highest number of possible games remaining is 32.

All hail Powershift, for they hath delivered upon me my first Red X(es) of the season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

drat I got my first red X. I thought Colorado would win pretty easily so I picked them in 5 but I never predict sweeps because hockey is so random.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God awful performance by yours truly this year. Bring me the Xs of shame.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Points!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Looks like most of us are going to lose to a 5 year old.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The age old question has finally been answered: how many 5 year olds do you think you can beat? 0.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RNG looking a lil' shaky though.

Congrats to the Avs on the first green box of the 2022 playoffs

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Updated yesterday's games.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I've only been redX'd 3 times so far. :-)

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I thought we were supposed to collect as many red x's as possible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I can't keep this buried deep down inside my soul any longer........ there are actually two Rs in "Hurricanes".

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Why did I pick all 3 Canadian teams to advance past the first round? What was I thinking?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't keep this buried deep down inside my soul any longer........ there are actually two Rs in "Hurricanes".

Woah, when did this become the spelling bee thread. :colbert:

We're at 259 goals scored already with between 7 and 14 games left. If all 7 leaders win their next game, we will match last year's game total. The last year with 7 6+ game series was 2010 When Detroit, Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago, San Jose, and Philadelphia all won their playoff series. Buffalo, New Jersey, Ottawa, and Phoenix were knocked out in the first round.

The last time Toronto won a playoff round in fewer than 7 games was April 2001. Since then, the Ipod was both launched, and discontinued.

e: lot of missing guesses here, so for points i'll do 3 for dead on, 2 for closest, 1 for the two above and below the closest.

Blue arrow is the current count.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 12, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Congrats to Cocaine Bear on 2 straight green boxes and on deck for 2 more with Lightning and Oilers wins on sunday.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
If I get a green rectangle on the Leafs v Lightning, I'm okay with the rest being red Xs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Still without a goose egg:

Arivia
clean ayers act
Cocaine Bear
Duckman2008
fawning deference
Ginette Reno
heehee
HookShot
Koopa Kid
Mr. Kite
OldSenileGuy
Powershift
T-Bone
Wonderllama

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
e: never mind lol

also for the record I thought we were doing # of goals for the entire playoffs lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
well I was right about the Stars taking their series to game 7 :)

As bad as that team is, you can always count on them to scam a few games out of much better teams lol.. If it was Colorado they'd also be going to game 7 on the weekend :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

also for the record I thought we were doing # of goals for the entire playoffs lol

I figured but you might still get a point out of it. There are enough missing guesses in that category, i think I'll score it 3 points for dead on, 2 for closest, 1 each for second closest. The hail mary is also missing a bunch of guesses and most of them are either Avs in 6, so maybe 5 points for dead on? I don't want to give too much weight to something people missed.

My idea for points:

Round 1: 4-3-2-1 for 32 possible points
Round 2: 6-5-4-3 for 24 possible points
Round 3: 8-7-6-5 for 16 possible points
Final: 10-9-8-7 for 10 possible points.

It weights the rounds a little better without putting too many into a single series or penalizing early success. Any objections/suggestions?

e: some fun for our players who haven't got a team wrong yet. The teams they picked, bold is a game 7 pick.

The 5 year old has 4 X-less predictions but is currently without a point
goldrush, GuavaMoment Mind_Taker, and The Black Stones have three X-less predictions
11 people are fully Xed, but not pointless

fisting by many's panthers in 4 guess is missing from the Red Xs but has been correctly placed and accounted for in the spreadsheet.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 14, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lol I wanted to post 3 separate times asking what the hell were you thinking, but this makes a lot more sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I swear I really don’t know much about hockey, I just magically make really good Red X guesses.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol I wanted to post 3 separate times asking what the hell were you thinking, but this makes a lot more sense.

I saw this:

Powershift posted:

I'll do the red Xs again but if you can include in your posts formatting In the same order like my prediction here it would be helpful. And add a goals scored in the first round for 5 points a hail mary prediction worth 25 points for cup winning team in X games.

Avs in 5
Blues in 6
Flames in 4
Oilers in 5

Panthers in 5
Lightning in 6
Hurricanes in 4
Rangers in 7

Goals scored: 294
Cup final: Oilers in 5

I'll do the RNG, but if anybody has an animal or toddler intelligent enough to point at pictures, that would be an acceptable submission as well. DJExile starts at -2 because his team abbreviations gave me an aneurysm.

and of course didn't read the first text about "in the first round" and I was thinking "drat, this is easy money. there's like 6-7 goals per game, there's gonna be around 80 games probably this playoffs, i'll go with like 540. everyone else must think we're going back to the dead puck era!!"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I definitely thought we were going straight back to the dead puck era as the rulebook gets set on fire for the playoffs as per usual. I'm shocked and delighted this has not been the case this year (yet)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I saw this:

and of course didn't read the first text about "in the first round" and I was thinking "drat, this is easy money. there's like 6-7 goals per game, there's gonna be around 80 games probably this playoffs, i'll go with like 540. everyone else must think we're going back to the dead puck era!!"

The Calgary Flames apparently agree with the “going back to the dead puck era” assessment for this series.

And lol.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Two more green boxen for Cocaine Bear, although their last 2 for the round

Still without a zero, unless the Penguins and Starts both win, somebody will go 8 for 8

Current standings

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 15, 2022

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Powershift is running it all and is still without a zero, huh? Very suspicious. What do you have on the NHL refs?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
My entire methodology was the impossibility of an Oilers flames matchup, so I'm guaranteeing a stars win in 7, please update my prediction tyvm.

I didn't state it, but I picked lightning in 7 because it would be the most hilarious result, and the hockey gods came through.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fermun posted:

Powershift is running it all and is still without a zero, huh? Very suspicious. What do you have on the NHL refs?

I'm holding their glasses and whistles hostage unless they give me red X points.

Also, despite guessing 6 correct series winners so far, i'm still losing to 11 people who haven't. I also have only 5 potential points left to score

e:
Only clean ayers act can surpass Cocaine Bear if both Penguins and Flames win
Koopa Kid and Darude can tie him if both the Penguins and Flames win

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How many goals have been scored? I need to know how many goals can be scored tomorrow and still have me win the bonus points :smuggo: