Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shaggar posted:

i've had to explain .net user secrets to the same people over and over. i stick a readme in the solution with the structure of the user secrets so all they need to do is right click the project -> manage user secrets -> paste in the template -> fill in sensitive details.

the other day one of them came to me asking about why they were getting an authentication error and i asked them if they setup user secrets. they said yes. took me a sec to realize they had just added a secrets.json to the project.

like none of these are actually critical secrets or anything cause its all dev environment bullshit, but god drat im getting tired of dealing with these people.

i need a new job.

i make users fill in environment variables everytime, and have startup.cs set to fail if one is unset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i should probably add something to validate the settings when in dev, but i think i could throw an exception that tells them their user secrets arent set as specified in the readme and they'd still ask me whats wrong.

i like the user secrets vs environmental variables cause its makes per-project settings very easy and they can be structured like normal appsettings.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i hate using appsettings too lol, i try to avoid having any files my build depends on that arent code

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the kind of person who won't do something as simple as set a user secret sure as poo poo isn't going to read the message in an exception

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

but im a fuckin idiot

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've started going over pull requests I've submitted comment by comment, tallying which I could have anticipated and avoided beforehand, because the question "wait, am I really this stupid?" has sustained itself long enough that I need to collect data to regain my sanity and certainty.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

RokosCockatrice posted:

I've started going over pull requests I've submitted comment by comment, tallying which I could have anticipated and avoided beforehand, because the question "wait, am I really this stupid?" has sustained itself long enough that I need to collect data to regain my sanity and certainty.

The answer to your question is yes. But your coworkers likely aren't any better.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
gently caress you, a database call should not RTE in a way that determines the HTTP response code.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
here is your extremely cursed article title for today:

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/news-and-events/socketcan-x-kubernetes.html

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

One component of our workflow required the availability of a CAN interface inside the Kubernetes Pod; to our surprise, such support didn't exist

gonna be honest that didn't surprise me very much

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lmao CAN on k8s

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lmao CAN on k8s

CANBUS to k8s interface

can’t wait to solve that one at Tesla

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*nervously trying to remember the exact kubectl command to open the emergency exit doors that i need to type on the touch screen command line that comes up after entering the :razz: konami code :razz: as the encroaching flames from the battery fire start to melt the plastic upholstery*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm now on an "architecture standards review" committee and one thing up for agreement is 'react plus typescript for UI" so I went and looked up some react tutorial and lol, this is what people thing is easy and good? god help us

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
love to have a dom implementation entirely in javascript to get around browser limitations

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm now on an "architecture standards review" committee and one thing up for agreement is 'react plus typescript for UI" so I went and looked up some react tutorial and lol, this is what people thing is easy and good? god help us

Could be worse... could be angular.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
js land hasn't found anything better than react in the last seven years or so :shrug:

the new react stuff (hooks and such) is a bit weird though and i avoid it for my own personal stuff but that is a somewhat controversial position

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I guess I can see the benefit of the event auto wireup or whatever, because with asp mvc it is kind of a pain to juggle model identifiers to append to lists or whatever, but still, at least your UI and DOM are separate from your controller and model code (don't ask about the grid that renders coloured cell content using strings containing html that are generated as varchar output from the database)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
frontend is a wasteland

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DELETE CASCADE posted:

frontend is a wasteland

backend too

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
hoo boy wait until you hear about games

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
at least webshit and enterpriseland are extremely extremely cushy wastelands with figgies

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Game developers have an excuse, but they still manage to render really complex scenes in 16ms or less.

Web devs need 10 seconds and 10MB of network traffic to render a some text and images floating in a white void.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I guess I can see the benefit of the event auto wireup or whatever, because with asp mvc it is kind of a pain to juggle model identifiers to append to lists or whatever, but still, at least your UI and DOM are separate from your controller and model code (don't ask about the grid that renders coloured cell content using strings containing html that are generated as varchar output from the database)

Time for the latest iteration of my anti-MVC rant.

MVC is a fundamentally broken design and I don't know why it isn't completely discredited at this point. The "model" never serves to abstract the view from the controller or vice versa, they are both intimately aware of each other and changes to one part of the MVC trio inevitably require a change to all three. Also view templating technologies are without exception godawful. Firstly because the great majority of them work by bashing together strings with no regard for the syntax of HTML, so you get to deal with either visible markup or XSS exploits all over the place. Secondly because they are crappy castrated Turing-complete languages with abysmal tooling when you already have a perfectly good Turing-complete language that you are using to write the rest of your application, but that main Turing-complete language lacks convenient features to work with HTML elements as a first-class data type.

React is a post-MVC user interface library. It gives you a syntax for working with HTML literals as a first-class data type and doesn't attempt to impose a contrived abstraction where none exists. There's also the desired-state aspect of the HTML that it emits but that's an entirely separate topic (but this aspect is also good). Yes the syntax is a bit weird. So what. If weird syntax is the biggest problem I'm having while writing a program then I am having a very good day all things considered.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I just wrote some C++ template bullshit that ends with four >s.

I don't know if that means I'm getting better at it or worse.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i hate all frontend tech but typescript and react has pretty good foundations, design principles, etc. and it feels intuitive at times.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

js land hasn't found anything better than react in the last seven years or so :shrug:

the new react stuff (hooks and such) is a bit weird though and i avoid it for my own personal stuff but that is a somewhat controversial position

I also have misgivings about React Hooks. Their ergonomics are really strange and I can't say I get how they're meant to be a significant improvement.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i love react hooks personally, i find them super ergonomic when you compose them

mystes
May 31, 2006

The weird thing about react is it has gone through so many different approaches. When they switched from classes to functions but before hooks it wasn't that far from the approach taken by elm which is pretty simple to understand.

Hooks add a lot of complexity especially because they have a bunch of requirements that can't actually be enforced by the language even though I guess they're supposed to be simpler than actual FRP. It's also annoying that there are now so many different overly complicated libraries for handling state in react.

Also I feel like I've posted this a zillion times but a vdom is basically a requirement if you want something approximating an elm style approach (which react still is even though it's wackier with hooks) because you just get a new view as the output (rather than a list of instructions on how to modify the DOM or something like that) and there's no way to figure out how to modify the old view to obtain the new view without diffing.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 13, 2022

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Doom Mathematic posted:

I also have misgivings about React Hooks. Their ergonomics are really strange and I can't say I get how they're meant to be a significant improvement.

imo the biggest benefit of Hooks is keeping related functionality together. With React Classes the code was spread out over mount/update/unmount event callbacks on the instance, which got really messy.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm coming around to the idea that maybe, just maybe, these hard to understand data structures could be designed better rather than I'm too stupid to understand them

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a limit to how many joins is too many? We're doing aggregates that pull in 7 tables as part of a cte

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
query optimizers are so good nowadays that there is a material chance the joins will not be bottleneck

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you've got joins that are just looking up a single entry via an index then it'll probably be just dandy

if you've got seven wild-rear end joins that have to reduce to table scans because there's no other way to solve the constraints then you're gonna have a bad time, lol

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Yeah like Jobor and bdid said, assuming you have sane indexes and don't have to do full table scans for everything, 7 joins is no problem for a modern optimizer.

As an example, PostgreSQL will exhaustively find the most optimal join order via dynamic programming for queries with up to 12 joins (by default at least, uses "geqo_threshold" which you can configure - on line 3293 in the source here you can see the check where the optimizer chooses between the "standard" algorithm and geqo).

Depends on what you're doing with that CTE though, if it's recursive and has enough depth then you might have a really bad time

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 14, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you run into problems just do some of the joins, make a temp table, then do the rest of the joins

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

amazon has a postgresql saas, now google has a postgresql saas, and I just found out about a third service among probably a lot of other companies doing it too.

I'm not a MySQL/MariaDB superfan but I'm curious. Is MariaDB just not catching up? Or are they attempting to corner a different market or utilize a different philosophy? Maybe I'm stuck in the last decade but I was under the impression that they were about neck and neck in popularity for enterprise deployments that favor open source sql-based RDBMS.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

postgres has always been superior in features but now it caught up in performance. meanwhile mysql got the stain of oracle

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
mysql’s big advantage was that it’s a lot easier to implement a mostly working good enough rdms than a correct one, but eventually Postgres progressed from a theoretically better but impractical rdbms to an actually better one

if the oracle thing hadn’t happened then perhaps mysql could have continued to outpace pgsql, but it really sucked a lot of the air out of the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

mysql’s big advantage was that it’s a lot easier to implement a mostly working good enough rdms than a correct one, but eventually Postgres progressed from a theoretically better but impractical rdbms to an actually better one

if the oracle thing hadn’t happened then perhaps mysql could have continued to outpace pgsql, but it really sucked a lot of the air out of the room

replication is still a sore spot in postgres, but just about everything else about it absolutely destroys mysql these days. especially the stupid but amazing poo poo like indexed json fields.