Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

syzpid posted:

99% of the time, players will say absolutely nothing controversial and just say the same quips over and over. Literally all you have to do is say "If it makes the team better, I'm all for doing everything I can to win" and after that who cares how you treat him behind closed doors? This always looks bad, and is very much Joe Flacco's "I'm here to compete for the starting job" response when people asked him about mentoring young QBs.

I just don't see why this of all things is the hill QBs are willing to die on.

Yeah. And "mentoring" a young QB is such a vague directive; just literally answer an occasional question from Willis instead of stone facing him and suddenly you are mentoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Maybe they just find it hilarious because they know how the media will response? :shrug:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Sataere posted:

What I'm saying is maybe let the quarterbacks coach do his job.

I’m guessing part of the problem is that he thinks the QB coach should be focusing on him and not the new guy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm not gonna complain about honesty compared to the usual false platitudes

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

pseudodragon posted:

I’m guessing part of the problem is that he thinks the QB coach should be focusing on him and not the new guy.

The coach has three guys he's assigned to and most of the work is done in a group. I can't imagine Tannehill needs the guy following him around like an attendant. I always assumed the QBs do some drills together. Then when the starters are doing work, the positional coaches are working on the sidelines with the back ups to help them develop and give them extra things to work.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Sounds like Tannehill has just been trying to get himself back on track, let alone anyone else...

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1521564545726230534

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Once you go full Delhomme...

That barn won't be hit again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean, even Tannehikl at his best was just perfectly fine so this is hitting him harder than you would expect

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The way the Titans lost that game, especially after coming as the one seed with a bye was loving brutal and I could definitely see how Tannehill would shoulder that blame with the awful late INT setting up the game winning field goal for the Bengals.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
This could have only added to Tannehill's depression:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1521950315360272384

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And check this out. Could be complete B.S. but it's amusing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdKSK-VL63X/

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Pete Carroll doesn't see Seattle trading for a QB. Sorry, Baker!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33863317/coach-pete-carroll-says-see-seattle-seahawks-trading-qb

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

CocoaNuts posted:

loving the owners girlfriend is a power move!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I want to believe.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

soft

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

CocoaNuts posted:

Don't care if it's fake, it's real to me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CocoaNuts posted:

I don’t buy it, she’s not on Jimmy’s level

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know why Tannehil is catching all this poo poo. Other QB's have said exactly the same loving thing and it's such a weird thing to freak out about. I distinctly recall several NFL starting QB's say exactly what Ryan did but for some reason this a Big Deal?

And I guess Pete Carroll is all in on Drew Lock

https://deadspin.com/welcome-to-the-spin-zone-with-pete-carroll-1848895780

“The first look at Drew, he’s really athletic, he’s really a confident athlete, you can see he’s got a lot of body control, he’s got quick feet, he’s got a quick arm, he’s got various ways he can release the football as his body’s in different positions,” Carroll said. “He’s got a real knack there. He’s got a strong arm, he can throw the ball a mile down the field. He compares to Geno, and Geno Smith has a great arm. He has a world-class arm, and all that. To match up with that, that’s saying a lot.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tannehill's catching poo poo because it's now the dead zone for the NFL and that's the easiest talk radio segment ever. It's absolutely not a big deal.

Also Pete is 70, lying his rear end off about Drew Lock and unless they perform better then last year, he's seriously damaging his legacy with this. It's such a bad plan.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Kalli posted:

Also Pete is 70, lying his rear end off about Drew Lock and unless they perform better then last year, he's seriously damaging his legacy with this. It's such a bad plan.

Yeah, somebody pointed out today that Pete swore up and down that Seattle would NEVER trade Russ. Next thing you know, Baker will be Seattle bound.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CocoaNuts posted:

Yeah, somebody pointed out today that Pete swore up and down that Seattle would NEVER trade Russ. Next thing you know, Baker will be Seattle bound.

Doesn't seem like it. Seattle seems all in on a tank job this year and appear to have given up, knowing they can't compete in this division.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BiggerBoat posted:

Doesn't seem like it. Seattle seems all in on a tank job this year and appear to have given up, knowing they can't compete in this division.

Pretty sure they actually think they’re doing exactly what they need to to compete in the division. You don’t bring your 70 year old coach back to start a rebuild and then let him spend a second on a running back.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty sure they actually think they’re doing exactly what they need to to compete in the division. You don’t bring your 70 year old coach back to start a rebuild and then let him spend a second on a running back.

To be fair they kind of did have a massive need at running back.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

To be fair they kind of did have a massive need at running back.

Sure, but if you’re trying to tank you can just hand the ball off to a UDFA, you don’t need a second round pick for that. The Seahawks look like a team that are trying to get back to being a power running team backed by a good defense, not a team that’s trying to lose their way into a top tier QB.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure, but if you’re trying to tank you can just hand the ball off to a UDFA, you don’t need a second round pick for that. The Seahawks look like a team that are trying to get back to being a power running team backed by a good defense, not a team that’s trying to lose their way into a top tier QB.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't think it's a tank job at all. I think they basically had to let Russ go, he wanted better around him, but I also think Pete is genuinely looking forward to working with a different QB, and believes it can work along with a strong defense and running game.

I don't think it's really gonna work out but I do think it'll be interesting to watch. I'm also one of those who thinks that Drew Lock may have untapped potential. Not enough to make the team notably successful but it should be fun.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just can't see how Lock will miraculously stop making boneheaded throws that he did in Denver just over and over again but it would be cool if he made a go of it. I just don't see it.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Da Bears have found the man to steal Justin Fields' job.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/05/11/bears-sign-veteran-quarterback-nathan-peterman-backup-justin-fields

Da Raiders have found the man to steal Derek Carr's job:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-to-trade-for-patriots-quarterback-jarrett-stidham-per-report/

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

God drat, does Peterman have blackmail on the entire league? How? How is he getting signed again?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

WaffleZombie posted:

God drat, does Peterman have blackmail on the entire league? How? How is he getting signed again?

Couldn't be!!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I really don't get Peterman, maybe he's one of those dudes like Ty Detmer where he's everything you want in a QB except actually being able to play on Sunday. Like a really good scout team guy, super good team mate and knowledgeable or whatever? I can't explain it, other than like. He has one of Jerry Jones' dick pics or knows the whereabouts of one of Peyton's illegitimate children or something and the league doesn't want the scandal.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
He's a great guy to bring in if you want to completely avoid a quarterback controversy. Siemian and Peterman both guarantee that Fields is your starter and that even if he sucks, there's not going to be an audience clamoring for the backup.

Otherwise you sign some rookie instead of Peterman, he's passable enough to make the roster and if Fields sucks, then you've got yourself a controversy.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
One thing that's an actual mindfuck is Peterman beat out Josh Allen for the starter job. And this is even after that Chargers game.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

pasaluki posted:

One thing that's an actual mindfuck is Peterman beat out Josh Allen for the starter job. And this is even after that Chargers game.

See that's kinda gotta make me think the dudes some kind of idiot savant at every aspect of being a professional QB except for putting passes in hands of receivers on game day.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And you know what other news just won't go away?

49ers rookie talks up Colin Kaepernick's arm after 'surreal' workout with quarterback

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/49ers-rookie-colin-kaepernick-workout-quarterback

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

With Peterman, I assume it's some combination of the following:

1. He's pretty good with scout teams and second/third teams in practice. If you watched him in the preseason of Allen's rookie year, he looked great. He can presumably play the position with a high degree of competency in low/no pressure environments.
2. He has an attitude coaches love. He seemed like an upbeat automaton and praised God a lot and McDermott always went out of his way to talk about what a great guy he was.
3. He's part of the NFL player fraternity and is just kind of owed a job no matter how bad he is, kind of like how in coaching circles Brian Schottenheimer will always have work.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Nathan Peterman is going to ride the good ol' boy suck train all the way to a long, Jeff Fisher-esque career as an NFL head coach some day.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I remember Gruden said he brought him in on the Raiders cause he wanted to help him fix his career

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I wish I could get a glamourous and lucrative job with extremely limited available positions out of pity.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

BlindSite posted:

I really don't get Peterman, maybe he's one of those dudes like Ty Detmer where he's everything you want in a QB except actually being able to play on Sunday. Like a really good scout team guy, super good team mate and knowledgeable or whatever? I can't explain it, other than like. He has one of Jerry Jones' dick pics or knows the whereabouts of one of Peyton's illegitimate children or something and the league doesn't want the scandal.

Peterman is 28. Manning is 46. Which means ...

Nathan Peterman IS one of Peyton's illegitimate children :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The sarcasm, it oozes...

https://twitter.com/EddyRecSean/status/1524475557349572608