Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I head out tomorrow morning for our annual NLU Texas Cup at Pine Dunes. 36 people, 12 each from Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Austin/San Antonio playing a team tournament Ryder Cup style. Pine Dunes does a package where we get 4 rounds, breakfast & lunch on Saturday, and 2 nights in their condos for less than $500. So we'll all get up there tomorrow, play a practice round tomorrow night, then 2 rounds on Saturday (4-ball and Modified Alt-Shot), then singles on Sunday. The best part is that because there's so many of us and because they're pretty chill up there in Frankston, TX, we can pretty much do whatever we want for the weekend. Last year on Friday night we had a chipping contest on the 18th hole in the middle of the night because it sits right outside the condos and then Saturday after our rounds, some of us went out and played 6 holes with 3 clubs. It's a great time and if you ever get the chance to check out Pine Dunes I highly recommend it. Kind of a sneaky amazing course in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daric posted:

I head out tomorrow morning for our annual NLU Texas Cup at Pine Dunes. 36 people, 12 each from Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Austin/San Antonio playing a team tournament Ryder Cup style. Pine Dunes does a package where we get 4 rounds, breakfast & lunch on Saturday, and 2 nights in their condos for less than $500. So we'll all get up there tomorrow, play a practice round tomorrow night, then 2 rounds on Saturday (4-ball and Modified Alt-Shot), then singles on Sunday. The best part is that because there's so many of us and because they're pretty chill up there in Frankston, TX, we can pretty much do whatever we want for the weekend. Last year on Friday night we had a chipping contest on the 18th hole in the middle of the night because it sits right outside the condos and then Saturday after our rounds, some of us went out and played 6 holes with 3 clubs. It's a great time and if you ever get the chance to check out Pine Dunes I highly recommend it. Kind of a sneaky amazing course in Texas.

That sounds awesome too!

We're doing a small tourney style play as well. First 2 rounds are Stableford singles then based on the standings from those 2 rounds the next 2 rounds are Four ball team matches and then the last round is singles matches. The 8 of us going are all in the single digits handicap wise all within a few strokes of each other so it should be some good matches. $100 buy in with the Stableford champ winning $130 and Winning team $130/person.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Jealous of both of you, those condos and Pine Dunes look pretty swanky. Which courses are you playing at pinehurst mattfl?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

Jealous of both of you, those condos and Pine Dunes look pretty swanky. Which courses are you playing at pinehurst mattfl?

2, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Just happened, drat I'm proud/hate my best golffriend. Short par 4, 17th handicap. Still going to be nice to have his first hole in one be on a par 4. Must be nice.

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 13, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy fuckin poo poo that rules

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Infomaniac posted:

Just happened, drat I'm proud/hate my best golffriend. Short par 4, handicap 0. Still going to be nice to have his first hole in one be on a par 4. Must be nice.

:pusheen:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Jesus christ

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Infomaniac posted:

Just happened, drat I'm proud/hate my best golffriend. Short par 4, handicap 0. Still going to be nice to have his first hole in one be on a par 4. Must be nice.

It's easier than putting!

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Infomaniac posted:

Just happened, drat I'm proud/hate my best golffriend. Short par 4, 17th handicap. Still going to be nice to have his first hole in one be on a par 4. Must be nice.

Asked for more of the story

E: i don't know why he thought it would be a free drop for a lost ball, though

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 13, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Infomaniac posted:

Asked for more of the story

E: i don't know why he thought it would be a free drop for a lost ball, though

Ya, technically he should have played a provisional back off the tee. However, even if he played a provisional off the tee and finished off the hole with the provisional, he would still have gotten a hole in one.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/rules-of-golf-explained-lost-ball-holed/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PGA Championship is next week, Tiger is even playing, and it feels like there’s been no build up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there ever really a buildup for the PGA? Even though it’s a major it doesn’t get me excited in any real way. Perhaps especially so now that it’s in the greater post-Masters golf malaise period.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

PGA Championship is next week, Tiger is even playing, and it feels like there’s been no build up.

Moving the tournament to take place before the Opens kinda kills it. It no longer has the last major of the year anticipation.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There's nothing worse than knowing you hit a great shot, seeing the green empty, and being like, "Is it possible!?" and then seeing your ball settled in to a nice little crevice off the green instead

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah PGA Champ's easily the least exciting of the 4 majors. Doesn't exactly help that Phil's the defending champ.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

mattfl posted:

Ya, technically he should have played a provisional back off the tee. However, even if he played a provisional off the tee and finished off the hole with the provisional, he would still have gotten a hole in one.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/rules-of-golf-explained-lost-ball-holed/

What if, as was the instance in this case, there isn’t really signs of trouble all around that could make you think to hit a provisional and you thought you put it on the green but then cannot find it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

What if, as was the instance in this case, there isn’t really signs of trouble all around that could make you think to hit a provisional and you thought you put it on the green but then cannot find it.

Walk it back, or in the interest of pace, drop laterally from where you last saw it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

Pretty sure, and I'm sure someone will correct me, that would be considered a lost ball and he needs to go back to the original spot where the ball was last played and continue from there. Since the last spot the ball was in play was on the tee, he'd need to go back to the tee.

http://pinchasergolf.com/19th-hole/understanding-the-rules-of-golf/lost-ball/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jovial Cow posted:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h...20Rule%206.3b).

He drops, he's laying 3. In this instance, he would have chipped on for 4, putted it in for a bogey 5.

Fortunately, his ball, once holed, ended the issue, and he records a one.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Real talk though, if you were in this situation you would just take the hole in one.

Unless it's a proper tournament, I'm not hiking my gear 260 yds back just to take my penalty.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Phil just withdrew

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

There's nothing worse than knowing you hit a great shot, seeing the green empty, and being like, "Is it possible!?" and then seeing your ball settled in to a nice little crevice off the green instead

Had this on a short par 3 the other day, hit an 8 iron directly at a flag tucked behind a bunker, literally thought I just got my first hole in one and found my ball had flown over and bounced off the back about 20 metres away from the hole. Noice!!!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I was playing alone, hit into the par 3, the ball rolled to the cup and disappeared. I got my phone, and videoed from the tee box to the green so I would have a video of walking to the cup and finding the ball. No ball. The cup was just at the top of the incline, so from my view at the tee, once the ball got to the hole, it disappeared over the hill. Easy comeback putt for the bird at least.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I've made 2 holes in one, and the first was in a solo birthday round. I only had the sense to call my dad while driving over to the green, and when I got to the green to confirm, I looked back and saw a single waiting on the tee box. I shouted, "I just got a hole in one, and nobody watched it!" He shouted back, "I saw it! It was awesome!"

Many years later, I was playing in a member-guest, and I took dead aim on a par 3 to close this group out. The ball never left the flag, took a ridge, and disappeared.

We're all sure I just aced it, then an opposing player gets up there and actually does ace it. I was 7 feet past the pin.

That was a tough look.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The forecast had gotten more and more rainy over the past week, but I had already taken the afternoon off work and I had a non-refundable GolfNow Hot Deal, so I decided to risk it and drive to the golf course anyway. When I got there, things were looking pretty dire. At least the person in the pro shop was willing to tell GolfNow the course was closed so I was able to get my greens fee refunded.

Looks like I won't get a good chance to play for 3 more weeks. :negative:
I was going to play Monday, but it's going to rain over the weekend and also on Monday.

Looks like my first shot at playing golf this year will be early June. :negative:

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I think the point of including the friend’s drop is that the friend claimed they thought they were in for birdie after they gave themself a free drop (at the time they thought they had lost their ball). It ultimately became irrelevant because they found the hole-in-one but it reveals this person probably routinely gives themselves a free drop if they lose their ball.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

In social play it is a commonly accepted rule that a ball that is obviously going straight up the fairway, that then disappears, can be replaced for free in a suitable area. I used to think "when would that happen" but then I saw a crow take my ball not once, but twice (the same crow?!) in the span of 3 weeks off the fairway. There's no way you would ever force a playing partner to walk back to the tee outside of a stroke play tournament, in stableford you take the wipe and move on.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I finally know why I’m losing so many balls every round. drat crows!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If we aren’t playing for money I honestly couldn’t care less what you do. Go put 18 hole in ones on the scorecard.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

If we aren’t playing for money I honestly couldn’t care less what you do. Go put 18 hole in ones on the scorecard.

Again, brings me back to the guy who got mad because I wasn't conceding his putts. We weren't in a match, and I'd told him not to kick back my putts so I could putt them, and a few holes in he, indignantly, told me he just couldn't believe I was "making him putt out". Now, I make a big deal out of conceding putts to guys who seem to expect some comment.

If you ask about the rules, I'll tell you the rule. If you ask what score you shot, i'll give you an honest, by the rules answer. If you pick up every putt that's "inside the leather" or ten feet, does not matter to me. Occasionally, I do want to tell some asshat that no, they didn't "birdie that last one" after they hit another ball off the tee when their first one went OB.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

abigserve posted:

In social play it is a commonly accepted rule that a ball that is obviously going straight up the fairway, that then disappears, can be replaced for free in a suitable area. I used to think "when would that happen" but then I saw a crow take my ball not once, but twice (the same crow?!) in the span of 3 weeks off the fairway. There's no way you would ever force a playing partner to walk back to the tee outside of a stroke play tournament, in stableford you take the wipe and move on.

I watched a FAMILY of raccoons steal a ball once. Said ball was a lovely Top Flite played by the third that the course stuck with my dad and I. All of a sudden, Mr. Top Flite was playing a Pro V1 that HAPPENED to be where my dad hit his shot. Mmhmm. Sure.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

D34THROW posted:

I watched a FAMILY of raccoons steal a ball once. Said ball was a lovely Top Flite played by the third that the course stuck with my dad and I. All of a sudden, Mr. Top Flite was playing a Pro V1 that HAPPENED to be where my dad hit his shot. Mmhmm. Sure.

Mark your ball. Even more important when playing with strangers, but never unimportant.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

D34THROW posted:

a FAMILY of raccoons

I have opted to take many a drop because I didn’t want to try to hit a shot around/over/through a mob of kangaroos. They just don’t care, will not move for you and sit there watching and judging you.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Someone please take Patrick Reeds wife’s phone away. Like, how does he not say, honey, please for the love of god loving stop.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I'm sorry that the lower class Titleist player you were forced to be near stole your daddy's nice expensive ball

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

It was marked. But Gunter insisted it was the ball he had been playing all along when we all knew damned well it wasn't.

EDIT: It was my dad's marked Pro V1 that Gunter adopted as his.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I was totally off today and shot 81, and I’m happy with that. My scoring range used to be crazy wide, and I’m almost to the point where I’m always in the 70s.

I played with one of our really good juniors. She’s in 6th grade and shot a casual bogey-free 70.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Played in a 2 man scramble today with a friend. We were in the championship flight for combined under 8 hdcps, I’m a 4 and he’s around a 2 or so. Our last couple rounds together haven’t been very good so we were a little concerned but we came in with a 65 and probably left 2 or 3 out there. Winners came in at 64 but there was 5 64s so we weren’t in any money. Had an awesome time though and if I have this game next week at Pinehurst it’s going to rock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

D34THROW posted:

I think I would die laughing if I saw a raccoon scurry off with my golf ball

Also both balls that crow stole were the yellow taylormades and since I swapped back to white balls it hasn't happened again