Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

Every time I see that, I have to remind myself it's not Alistair Beckett King.

I just see ABK and assume "rear end in a top hat Bobby Kotick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MechaCrash posted:

Remember the "do you not have phones" thing? I'm not surprised the people at the top of this conglomerate of crap are that loving stupid.

The short version for anybody who somehow missed "do you not have phones" is that the big final reveal at Blizzcon a few years back was Diablo Immortal, exclusively for phones, and they were shocked that people who were sufficiently hardcore fans of PC gaming to attend a convention about it would be unhappy about a phone-exclusive title.

The kicker is that they’ve also more recently announced a PC port, but from what I’ve been reading, they’re really…

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

…Phoning it in.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

MechaCrash posted:

Remember the "do you not have phones" thing? I'm not surprised the people at the top of this conglomerate of crap are that loving stupid.

The short version for anybody who somehow missed "do you not have phones" is that the big final reveal at Blizzcon a few years back was Diablo Immortal, exclusively for phones, and they were shocked that people who were sufficiently hardcore fans of PC gaming to attend a convention about it would be unhappy about a phone-exclusive title.

The funniest part of this is that even his dev team were like "If you go out there and announce this at Blizzcon you're going to get eaten alive."

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Regalingualius posted:

The kicker is that they’ve also more recently announced a PC port, but from what I’ve been reading, they’re really…

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

…Phoning it in.

:golfclap:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I don't think anyone would have really cared about Immortal, either, but Blizzard kept hyping it up as the next Big Thing. It's well-trod ground by this point, but people would have lost their goddamned minds at a single 30 second trailer showing the number 4 fading in, and then Diablo's laugh or something. Fans might have even been positive about Immortal as a thing to play while waiting for 4. It was the world's easiest slam dunk. And they hosed even that up.

Really shows how incompetent upper management at the Blizzard arm of ABK was (and still is, let's be honest) at the time.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
management at Activision Blizzard has not changed at all, they fired the people that harassed a woman so badly she killed herself

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

The funniest part of this is that even his dev team were like "If you go out there and announce this at Blizzcon you're going to get eaten alive."

Haha, loving seriously? I knew the entire thing was a shitshow, but I didn't know that even the people making the game knew who the audience was, and more importantly who the audience wasn't.

I mean, I'm not going to say "you can't announce a phone game at Blizzcon," announcing phone game spinoffs as side-things during stuff went well enough for Fallout Vault and whatever the Elder Scrolls thing that turned out to suck were, but god drat, the key bits there are "spinoff" and "side thing," not treating it like it's the main attraction.

I think it's just because the suits saw the tidal waves of money that mobile gaming were making, and said "let's announce the Big New Phone Game at our Big Fancy Convention About Us," and if anybody knew that the sources of that phone game money were absolutely not in the audience, they went ignored.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I don't think it's much of a stretch to conclude that a lot of executives in gaming view people who play video games as a buncha dumb-as-dirt sheep who'll clap for anything they announce as long as it has the title of a popular thing on it, and are continually flabbergasted when that doesn't happen

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair that’s mostly true, which makes them loving it up even funnier

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Bust Rodd posted:

Trying to assign things like Gender & Sexuality to your moon-mutant gorilla with a laser gun seems, at best, Sisyphysean

Winston and Hammond are clearly a couple.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I watched some preview gameplay of the upcoming Warcraft phone game and it actually looks pretty good for an idle mtx game. ABK is probably making more cash from their mobile games than WoW. Still dumb marketing though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MechaCrash posted:

I think it's just because the suits saw the tidal waves of money that mobile gaming were making, and said "let's announce the Big New Phone Game at our Big Fancy Convention About Us," and if anybody knew that the sources of that phone game money were absolutely not in the audience, they went ignored.
I feel like they absolutely were, just not in the numbers needed to prevent the reaction. Which isn't surprising given that most of the money comes from whales, even before you consider the PC Gamer crowd. A guy spending 1000x the average on the game might take up a lot of space when looking at revenue, but in a venue his voice is no louder than anyone else's.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Shadowlyger posted:

Do you have a source for this? Sounds hilarious and I wanna read more.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

ColdPie posted:

Do you have a source for this? Sounds hilarious and I wanna read more.

Unfortunately I do not, just a vague recollection of an employee response from around that time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I don't think it's much of a stretch to conclude that a lot of executives in gaming view people who play video games as a buncha dumb-as-dirt sheep who'll clap for anything they announce as long as it has the title of a popular thing on it, and are continually flabbergasted when that doesn't happen

The c suite at ubisoft almost shut down AC odyssey because they said no one would want a game where the main character is a woman.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I watched some preview gameplay of the upcoming Warcraft phone game and it actually looks pretty good for an idle mtx game. ABK is probably making more cash from their mobile games than WoW. Still dumb marketing though.

I know it’s petty, but one of the races that they mentioned in the announcement was “beasts”.

Not like raptors or hyenas or lions, but sapient peoples (gnolls, quillboar, centaur) that have traditionally been “mongrel” races and punching bags for player characters in WoW. :cripes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

pentyne posted:

The c suite at ubisoft almost shut down AC odyssey because they said no one would want a game where the main character is a woman.

Also why Aya wasn't playable in AC origins.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Nobody would have gotten mad at Diablo immortal except it was literally their only announcement and they spent weeks hyping up that they had a biiiiiig announcement at blizzcon! Maybe it has to do with Diablo? Exciting!

It was the nathan4u "hope you're hungry... for nothing" gif.

If they had said before the event "this is going to be a light year but we have a new mobile game to talk about" I think people might have been positive on it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fruits of the sea posted:

IIRC, the King arm of ABK does provided a higher revenue stream than Blizzard. :blizz: is at the bottom of the company.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

30.5 Days posted:

Nobody would have gotten mad at Diablo immortal except it was literally their only announcement and they spent weeks hyping up that they had a biiiiiig announcement at blizzcon! Maybe it has to do with Diablo? Exciting!

If they had said before the event "this is going to be a light year but we have a new mobile game to talk about" I think people might have been positive on it

I remember hearing that they were planning on announcing Diablo 4 until the last minute when they decided they didn't have enough to show off. It makes sense because I remember some Blizz posts a a day or two before the event going "hey guys, maybe temper your expectations just a little bit", but it was way too late.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

IIRC, they actually did have one of their CMs make a post on the Diablo forums with a vague “you might want to temper your expectations” warning right before that Blizzcon. Obviously that didn’t happen, though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, they actually did have one of their CMs make a post on the Diablo forums with a vague “you might want to temper your expectations” warning right before that Blizzcon. Obviously that didn’t happen, though.

Expectations were tempered generally, it's just that "tempered" in 2018 was "oh poo poo maybe they're remastering Diablo 2", since the SC remaster was the only one out at the time and (as it turns out) was the only flawless no-fault remaster they ever ended up doing

whoops

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

when Bethesda showed Fallout Shelter, they did it right after announcing Fallout 4 and basically saying "yeah you can play this dumb mobile spinoff while waiting for the new fallout game". that was the right way to do it I think

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
There was already very little to show at that Blizzcon so everyone figured the Diablo announcement was going to be huge and therefore would have to be D4. Besides, it had been a while and obviously Blizzard had been working on stuff during the comparitive content drought, right? Like, SC2, D3, HotS and Overwatch and such weren't being worked on much at all, so they must have been doing a ton of work in the background on a huge game, right? Right guys?

Anyway, turns out Blizzard literally wasn't working on anything and was too busy molesting interns or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bentai posted:

IIRC, the King arm of ABK does provided a higher revenue stream than Blizzard. :blizz: is at the bottom of the company.

Candy crush alone made over a billion dollars in 2021, not counting their other games. The highest mobile game easily out revenues the biggest non mobile.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Expectations were tempered generally, it's just that "tempered" in 2018 was "oh poo poo maybe they're remastering Diablo 2", since the SC remaster was the only one out at the time and (as it turns out) was the only flawless no-fault remaster they ever ended up doing

whoops

The Diablo 2 remaster turned out pretty well, certainly nothing like the WC3 disaster

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Disargeria posted:

There was already very little to show at that Blizzcon so everyone figured the Diablo announcement was going to be huge and therefore would have to be D4. Besides, it had been a while and obviously Blizzard had been working on stuff during the comparitive content drought, right? Like, SC2, D3, HotS and Overwatch and such weren't being worked on much at all, so they must have been doing a ton of work in the background on a huge game, right? Right guys?

Anyway, turns out Blizzard literally wasn't working on anything and was too busy molesting interns or something.

That was the golden age of 'what are they even doing with their $1.4 billion operating budget.' And yeah it's hard to overstate that, at that point in time, blizzard still had like 5 different active IPs that they could've been doing something with and blizzard going all in on making lovely mobile games wasn't even on anyone's radar really.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That was the golden age of 'what are they even doing with their $1.4 billion operating budget'

Renting the Cosby Room apparently

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1525508828627841024
That's really the only thing I can assume, the c-suite needs shiny graphs and numbers because they're infested with brainworms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Of course they have eyes how else could they read the chart

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Of course they have eyes how else could they read the chart

Someone reads the numbers to them in a dry monotone

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tae posted:

Candy crush alone made over a billion dollars in 2021, not counting their other games. The highest mobile game easily out revenues the biggest non mobile.

Call of Duty makes as much money as the entire King stable, if not more. Warzone is unfathomably profitable.

King does smash Blizzard's numbers, but Blizzard still brings in a fair chunk.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1525508828627841024
That's really the only thing I can assume, the c-suite needs shiny graphs and numbers because they're infested with brainworms.

tbqh the teams themselves are probably not all too diverse.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Studio posted:

tbqh the teams themselves are probably not all too diverse.

If the teams aren't diverse, then why does activision blizzard have such a diverse list of plaintiffs?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kanos posted:

Call of Duty makes as much money as the entire King stable, if not more. Warzone is unfathomably profitable.

King does smash Blizzard's numbers, but Blizzard still brings in a fair chunk.

like blizzard doesnt even need to make king money to still be of extremely high value. make really good IPs, maintain really strong old ones, and use those IPs for secondary sources of monetization through fandom and as goodwill for the parent company to put people into other parts of the ecosystem. but lol, lmao. shareholders dont care.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

anime was right posted:

maintain really strong old ones

Still mindboggling how they made a literal cultural phenomenon with Overwatch in 2016 and had merch out the wazoo, but trickled out a dozen short stories/comics/cinematics and then puttered out into nothing. What did they do with all that time and money??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume they spent it all setting it up as an esport.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Disargeria posted:

What did they do with all that time and money??

Diablo for mobile, lmfao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

muscles like this! posted:

I assume they spent it all setting it up as an esport.

I believe it's been literally said they pivoted from story and whatnot to esports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao they built stadiums in multiple major US cities for people to go and sit in an auditorium and watch a bunch of people in cycling t-shirts play video games