Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

joepinetree posted:

It's good, but it should probably have been 6 episodes instead of 10.

Agreed. It's a good show with too many episodes.

With the Dark Tower discussion, Wind Through the Keyhole is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

joepinetree posted:

The new firestarter is very bad and I laughed at several parts I am pretty sure the filmmakers didn't intend to be funny. But mostly it's just very boring.

Too many changes from the book/old movie. I really wanted to like it. I thought it just might be good. I was very wrong.

I think they were trying to make a superhero movie maybe, like Chronicle? Either way they flubed it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A rare miss from zac efron

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is the recent Jerusalem's Lot series any good? Seems like they took some liberties with the adaptation but it was popular enough to get a second season apparently.

Chapelwhite? It's good enough, which makes it a top tier King adaptation. Much better than the stand (2021) for example, but much more different from the source material.

Going back to my Gunslinger's post. The book really reminded me of Book of the New Sun. Character belonging to a rigid organization travels through the world for some mysterious purpose, while interacting with remnants of a long distant past. I'm not sure if a desert is much features in Wolfe's book, but I think that also strengthened the connection. The desert and the violence also reminded me of Blood Meridian.

Edit: I saw Cat's Eye, it's great! 3 loosely connected short stories, 2 from Night Shift and an original one, with a young Drew Barrymore. Other actors include James Woods and Main Character From Airplane. Very silly, but it knows it is and leans into it. The Ledge (i may be making up the title) was definitely one of the scariest King's stories I've read, much more than his horror books. ANd the movie captured it perfectly, goddamn i felt uneasy all throughout it. The original story is hilarious, that little knife and the battle scene lol

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 15, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Midnight Mass is a really good Stephen King inspired show.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Yes, it even shares some of the themes King wanted Salem's lot to show. It's much better than Chapewhite.

Any fan of King should watch it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Speaking of TV shows that remind me of Stephen King books, I think the old Skeet Ulrich show Jericho has a lot in common with books like The Stand and Under The Dome. Just a huge cast of characters all thrust together for reasons outside their control. It was such a great show, I wish I could stream it somewhere.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ruddiger posted:

Midnight Mass is a really good Stephen King inspired show.

I loving loved this. Especially the Catholic theology. And the guy who plays the priest does an incredible job.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My hot take is that stranger things are IT child characters in a firestarter setting, and that midnight mass is The Mist characters in a Salems lot setting.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Stranger Things was inspired by Stephen King who was in turn inspired by Stranger Things (The Institute)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Taeke posted:

Stranger Things was inspired by Stephen King who was in turn inspired by Stranger Things (The Institute)

Youre definitely right, but just to be an rear end in a top hat and drop an unsolicited opinion, I think "uninspired by Stephen King" is more accurate. It felt like a bland rehash that I (probably unfairly) blame for starting the wave of commoditized nostalgia that we're somehow still living through.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Stephen King did not write The Goonies.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Youre definitely right, but just to be an rear end in a top hat and drop an unsolicited opinion, I think "uninspired by Stephen King" is more accurate. It felt like a bland rehash that I (probably unfairly) blame for starting the wave of commoditized nostalgia that we're somehow still living through.

I get what you're saying but yeah, I think that's kinda unfair because every generation revisits the previous generations so you can't really put blame on anyone specific for commercializing that brand of nostalgia. That's just a thing that happens, like a societal/commercial law of nature. Every decade has wildly popular media about two/three decades back because the people with the most disposable income (people in their 30s) want to revisit their youth, so people capitalize on that.

Also don't think you're an rear end in a top hat for offering an 'unsolicited' opinion. That's the nature of this form of communication and expressing your thoughts on whatever is talked about or even starting a new line of discussion is absolutely fine.

e:
Like in the late 90s you had That 70s Show which is now being rehashed as That 90s show which somehow tries to double up on the nostalgia factor by both catering to the people that want to re-experience the 90s as a decade and loved the original show.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 17, 2022

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

And yet oddly enough, the modern reboot of The Wonder Years is still set in the ‘60s, when cyclically speaking it surely ought to be set in the ‘90s now with someone reminiscing from like 2020! Such BS.

I kinda think it depends on the people writing the material more than anything., and the fact that whenever someone writes something decent and truthful about children it always tends to be set during the period when they themselves were children. After all, write what you know. Stephen King is a huge example of this, given his fixation on the late ‘50s/early ‘60s, and pop culture from that period.

And besides, truly good films (and books) involving children always have a way of transcending whatever time period they were set in, and having a kind of universal appeal. As someone who was born in 1985, The Sandlot comes to mind - set in the ‘60s and released in 1993, kids of my age/generation were enthralled with that movie and we barely even noticed that it was set in the ‘60s, at the time. After all, compared to life today things weren’t all that different for American kids between those two time periods, when I really stop and think about it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Same with Stand By Me. I was 7 when that movie came out and those kids were relatable as heck for me even though i lived in San Diego and definitely was not having that sort of adventure.

The general experience of being an analog kid who was allowed and expected to range as far as your feet or bicycle would take you as long as you were home by dinner / before dark was pretty commonly shared back then but now it's probably exclusively for the poorest and most remote kids.

titties fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 17, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

titties posted:

Same with Stand By Me. I was 7 when that movie came out and those kids were relatable as heck for me even though i lived in San Diego and definitely was not having that sort of adventure.

The general experience of being an analog kid who was allowed and expected to range as far as your feet or bicycle would take you as long as you were home by dinner / before dark was pretty commonly shared back then but now it's probably exclusively for the poorest and most remote kids.

You also can't pull that bullshit of each kid telling their parents they're staying at the other ones' houses.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BiggerBoat posted:

You also can't pull that bullshit of each kid telling their parents they're staying at the other ones' houses.

I'm glad I never had to worry about that kind of scenario as a kid, because I just know I'd be so anxious about my parents checking on me at the house they think I'm at that I could never actually enjoy whatever we were doing.

I'm re-reading The Dead Zone, and I really really like it when King is just writing about people interacting with each other, building to the conclusion, to where everything just goes to poo poo. Stilson is also an incredibly good villain, because he feels like he could actually exist. I'm sure at the time his popularity was supposed to be something that was completely inexplicable, that could never really happen, but after Trump, Stilson feels like he could have a shot in this world. It's making me more uncomfortable than anything else while reading the book.

With that said, though, the Frank Dodd stuff was fuckin' great. I would love to see a book of just psychic Johnny and Bannerman just hunting Dodd, as he goes on a killing spree, his standards deteriorating, killing becoming more and more the norm than the exception. Maybe he had whatever had gotten into Cujo.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Leave posted:

I'm re-reading The Dead Zone, and I really really like it when King is just writing about people interacting with each other, building to the conclusion, to where everything just goes to poo poo. Stilson is also an incredibly good villain, because he feels like he could actually exist. I'm sure at the time his popularity was supposed to be something that was completely inexplicable, that could never really happen, but after Trump, Stilson feels like he could have a shot in this world. It's making me more uncomfortable than anything else while reading the book.

It has been noted.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love the Dark Tower books and was pretty let down by the movie, so I've been listening to a bunch of podcasts talking about it and noticed this podcast called the Disenfranchised podcast just dropped an episode about it. The premise behind the podcast is pretty good, where they focus on movies that failed to kickstart a franchise, but the hosts are so obsessed with their own bad jokes and basically farm social media for their opinion before recording the episode. I was hoping this episode would be different, but nope. None of the hosts read the books or have any info outside of the imdb trivia page and the one guest who did is piecing the plot together through a very biased lens as she hated the last book (and surprise, all the hosts concur that the last book is bad even though they only know the plot beats from wikipedia). This isn't meant to go anywhere, it was just frustrating listening to these guys say nothing for an hour.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That cover to Misery's Return is incredible.

https://twitter.com/usmantm/status/1526766811198500865?s=20&t=CF4LL33-CwAJ7dA80Kk-YA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LOL that owns. Did Annie Wilkes kidnap the artist too until he painted that poo poo?

EDIT/CROSSPOST

My 11 year old likes horror movies so I let him watch the original IT tv miniseries and, man, that 2nd half or last third is loving rough going

I can forgive the shoddy effects because you can basically see them using up their budget in real time as the series unfolds. But how the gently caress can none of the grown ups loving ACT and get so blown away by their child actor counterparts?

I've seen John Ritter, Annette O'Toole, Harry Anderson, Richard Thomas, Richard Masur and Dennis Christopher be GOOD in things, if maybe not great, but geez. Bad acting always takes me right out of anything and all these grown up actors loving suck rear end. It's not the writing. More like they only had one take or some poo poo.

Tim Curry chewing scenery is loving terrific though and saves the whole thing. Been a while since I'd seen it and his performance still holds up pretty well.

Also, why am I seeing so many Stephen King articles lately on every website I visit?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 19, 2022

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, why am I seeing so many Stephen King articles lately on every website I visit?

New film adaptation of Firestarter just came out, maybe that?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Is the lass based on anyone?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gambrinus posted:

She kinda looks like Geena Davis.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Gambrinus posted:

Could definitely be an idealized version of a young Tabitha King:

Can’t really imagine who else it could be, though maybe I’m wrong.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

The Long Walk is King's best work. Fight me. Almost impossible to film, as decades of failures in development hell have shown. If it actually gets made I'd ready for a disappointment. I believe I've read it over 30 times. The Battle Royale phenomenon in current popular culture has no clue what kind of a sleeping beast this old 60s novel is.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I bought this as a teenager back in the late 80's and I am pretty sure I still have it. I have boxes of books in storage and in my attic, I might see if I can find it. I have too many books (thousands) to put them on all on shelves.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

The Long Walk is King's best work. Fight me. Almost impossible to film, as decades of failures in development hell have shown. If it actually gets made I'd ready for a disappointment. I believe I've read it over 30 times. The Battle Royale phenomenon in current popular culture has no clue what kind of a sleeping beast this old 60s novel is.

1. I can see that argument and won't argue with it. Book is incredible, disturbing, really hard to put down and sticks the ending.

2. That's the thing, though, it's amazingly easy to film. Get some kids who can act, head out to rural Georgia or somewhere with some steady cams and slow moving trucks then handle the deaths with a modicum of good taste. You don't need an effects budget or fancy sets. I've said before that you could damned near turn into a play if you used one of those airport people movers, creative lighting/projection and some scrolling scenery.

Rob Reiner directs and get whoever did the cinematography for Stand By Me and boom. A low budget movie that, at worst, will make its budget back and has some built in publicity due to the subject matter; even though the premise isn't too far removed from The Hunger Games.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

2. That's the thing, though, it's amazingly easy to film.

Sure, anything is amazingly easy to film. I run a 22.5k sub youtube channel, can do whatever I want with it. Do I? gently caress no.

The challenge is condensing the story into a 1.5-2 hour production. There is little beyond the story concept there you can use and need to expand upon badly with this timeframe. If HBO made this into a ten episode series, used maybe 20% of the original material (all the characters but remove most dialogue) and replaced the rest with flashbacks, great. Localize it further so more characters actually know each other. Example: set it the west coast. A changed nation that is victorious but really hurt. Vegas still exists and thrives in this setting, and the Walk is incredibly culturally significant to more than gamblers. Some of these walkers actually grow up together instead of, say, the only people knowing each other being brothers. Otherwise its just 99 dead teenagers and seems like someone tried to do an American Squid Game

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

1. I can see that argument and won't argue with it. Book is incredible, disturbing, really hard to put down and sticks the ending.

2. That's the thing, though, it's amazingly easy to film. Get some kids who can act, head out to rural Georgia or somewhere with some steady cams and slow moving trucks then handle the deaths with a modicum of good taste. You don't need an effects budget or fancy sets. I've said before that you could damned near turn into a play if you used one of those airport people movers, creative lighting/projection and some scrolling scenery.

Rob Reiner directs and get whoever did the cinematography for Stand By Me and boom. A low budget movie that, at worst, will make its budget back and has some built in publicity due to the subject matter; even though the premise isn't too far removed from The Hunger Games.

It's easy to film, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't translate well to the medium. There's no action scenes, no romance arcs, nothing in it that really that translates well to that 'teen battle royale' genre. It's a bunch of dudes thinking about things, occasionally talking to each other, and walking until only one person is left. This would be a pretty loving boring movie.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, just wanted to share a little tip.

Like a lot of you in this thread (probably) I’ve had an Audible subscription for ages, and a fair collection of King titles I’ve accrued over the years - but it still kinda sucks, of course, because there are dozens more out there I’d like to listen to but don’t have access to.

Anyway, I was trying to find other sites to listen to some of these audiobooks on without spending any more money (ideally) and I stumbled on a service/app called Scribd which gives you access to a fairly wide library of audiobooks (and other stuff) for $12 a month, with a 2-week free trial. So I gave it a shot, since they at least had a couple of books I wanted to listen to on audible but didn’t have the credits for.

To my absolute astonishment, I discovered this morning that they have literally every last Stephen King audiobook available to listen to on this app - no exaggeration they are ALL on there. I checked their version of the audiobook for Four Past Midnight - the one on Audible is nearly unlistenable because of a bad transfer, which really sucks because of the great cast on that one including Willem Dafoe reading The Langoliers. Sure enough, the one on Scribd sounds *great* - not like a cassette played on an ancient tape recorder like the Audible one.

So anyway, yeah - if you want access to SK’s entire compendium of audiobooks, check out the Scribd app.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Khizan posted:

It's easy to film, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't translate well to the medium. There's no action scenes, no romance arcs, nothing in it that really that translates well to that 'teen battle royale' genre. It's a bunch of dudes thinking about things, occasionally talking to each other, and walking until only one person is left. This would be a pretty loving boring movie.

Yeah, you'd definitely have to cut away from the walking part and work in some flashbacks

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Gambrinus posted:

Maybe Rita Hayworth?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Well, you made me read The Long Walk, it's really good!

I think you can make a movie no problem, but they'd probably insert long scenes explaining the setting. If they make it a tv show they'd definitely include a revolution in the making plot in the background including the dude's father.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Making The Long Walk into a movie would require adding in so much stuff that you'd end up with "The movie loosely based on the Stephen King novel", imo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Khizan posted:

Making The Long Walk into a movie would require adding in so much stuff that you'd end up with "The movie loosely based on the Stephen King novel", imo.

I honestly don't see it. If anything, and if it were done well, it would be incredibly stripped down and simple. It's message isn't all that hard to parse, especially these days, and it's not riddled with a ton of set pieces, action sequences or poo poo that needs a ton of CGI. Just make the movie as raw as the book.

It's not full of a bunch of space aliens and ghosts that make it a hard sell like a fair bit of King's work. Cut in some flashbacks to break poo poo up. Use dialog between the characters to let the story unfold. Show the adults rooting them on along the sidelines and placing bets to establish how cold the whole thing is.

Stand By Me managed about half of that or probably more. At least how I picture TLW in my head. There wasn't a ton of intense action in that movie to make it "less boring" and all the exposition we needed was given to us with pretty simple scenes. By the end of that film, I knew who every kid was, what he was feeling, his history, his troubles and what motivated him and, like this story, most of what they did was just loving WALK.

It helped that SBM used really loving good child actors so make sure to do that too. It also used a narrator so maybe that might be a thing to do.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to categorize the government structure for The Long Walk and a military dictatorship is the closest I can think of. They could probably expand on this aspect to pad out a movie, especially if they go into detail on the recruitment process.

I also forgot that Garrity and McVries are only 16 years old. I always thought of them as older.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I am telling you, its a complete rewrite. Try to imagine squid games without certain characters knowing each other before hand. It does NOT work. Try to imagine Battle Royale, the original Japanese masterpiece, with the kids as strangers. You'd have to waste so much time establishing culture to make this competition compelling between strangers in a 1.5-2hr timeframe. The economy of time falls apart, and this is why the book is almost impossible to adapt to a movie. Eight one hour episodes? Changes everything,

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Some of the most compelling moments from The Long Walk take place during audience interference. A television adaptation could explore this concept more freely as collusion between bettors who take real actions to affect the race for participants they want to win. Now that is within the realm of narratives they need to exploit in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Long Walk kind of has some alternate history stuff as is right? Either it could be given a few lines as to why this is a thing, or it could get expanded to it's own separate plot.