Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wait how do you know about Zug island

I can read books, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

gently caress's sake dude

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

zug zug

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i grew up in pontiac mi and it really sucks how much dependence on the automobile industry gutted the entire area. you have all the segregated rich white sundown towns like bloomfield hills, birmingham, livonia, etc. and they're doing fine, and you have the lgbtq stronghold of ferndale. but pontiac used to be this huge, thriving city in and of itself, with a world class hs and all. now it's only urban decay, all cause gm just moved their plants and told people to go kick dirt.

the big 3 killed my baby

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Apr 7, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

i grew up in pontiac mi and it really sucks how much dependence on the automobile industry gutted the entire area. you have all the segregated rich white sundown towns like bloomfield hills, birmingham, livonia, etc. and they're doing fine, and you have the lgbtq stronghold of ferndale. but pontiac used to be this huge, thriving city in and of itself, with a world class hs and all. now it's only urban decay, all cause gm just moved their plants and told people to go kick dirt.

the big 3 killed my baby

Michael Moore's "Roger and Me" covers it pretty succinctly, GM made a bet on defense contracting and lost. You and everyone around you paid the price.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I can read books, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I didn’t realise it was written about in books :shobon:

the area smells terrible and last I had heard some people complained about a vibration in Canada from it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

the big 3 killed my baby

oh hi neighbour

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Michael Moore's "Roger and Me" covers it pretty succinctly, GM made a bet on defense contracting and lost. You and everyone around you paid the price.

last year my wife and i watched that, and then fahrenheit 11-9 the following week. pretty cool to watch those back to back

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I didn’t realise it was written about in books :shobon:

the area smells terrible and last I had heard some people complained about a vibration in Canada from it

You may want to think about how you were shocked that people not in your immediate vicinity understood a problem that has been written about for nearly a century, and expand that resulting thought to everything else in your life that you are incredibly loving stupid about.

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

last year my wife and i watched that, and then fahrenheit 11-9 the following week. pretty cool to watch those back to back

It's pretty straightforward, GM put a bunch of factories up for sale so they could do defense poo poo at a limited number of remaining factories and they lost the bet. As a result the workers had to eat poo poo.

There is no question about unions, there is no question about profitability. GM gambled on a far-fetched future source of profit and they lost. And Michigan, Ohio, California, and god knows who else ate poo poo because the people who retreated to Oakland County hosed up.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

jesus you just escalated to 11 there pretty quick lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

that’s our tori

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

It's pretty straightforward, GM put a bunch of factories up for sale so they could do defense poo poo at a limited number of remaining factories and they lost the bet. As a result the workers had to eat poo poo.

There is no question about unions, there is no question about profitability. GM gambled on a far-fetched future source of profit and they lost. And Michigan, Ohio, California, and god knows who else ate poo poo because the people who retreated to Oakland County hosed up.

when tori is based posting it's based

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

those two films go together well because roger and me is like a warning that their community is starting to be destroyed and theyll be wrecked if something doesnt happen, then fahrenheit 11-9 fast forwards 25 years and the place is a hollowed out shell literally getting bombed for target practice by the military

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
zug schlag haven sind gewesen gehabt haben geworden sein

Apr 7, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

I am not in Michigan and don't understand what the 'escalated to 11' comment means.

GM tried to go into defense contracting and failed. It's well documented.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

you just kinda came out swinging at poor ole tusen takk for a relatively innocuous comment

Apr 7, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

you just kinda came out swinging at poor ole tusen takk for a relatively innocuous comment

The automotive industry, bar none, is the most destructive to exist over the past two centuries and nothing comes close.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

cruise ships are incredibly awful compared to how few people benefit from them. like there’s 300 of them or so and each is equivalent to millions of cars. it’s estimated that Carnivale’s fleet (<50 ships) is worse than all of Europe’s cars (>250 millions) for sulfur. for all emissions combined each ship is equivalent to more than 3 million cars.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this time logic and facts will definitely stop a tori tantrum!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we're not even close to a tantrum level here though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

according to my meltdown-o-meter we are only at a 3

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MononcQc posted:

cruise ships are incredibly awful compared to how few people benefit from them. like there’s 300 of them or so and each is equivalent to millions of cars. it’s estimated that Carnivale’s fleet (<50 ships) is worse than all of Europe’s cars (>250 millions) for sulfur. for all emissions combined each ship is equivalent to more than 3 million cars.

cruise ships offer literally no benefit except fleeting entertainment for a small number of people at a time and come at an outrageous cost

they're bad for the environment and bad for the communities they visit

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cruise ships should be moored and used for emergency shelter for refugees or homeless.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they're also floating petri dishes because they're mostly all-you-can-eat boomer buffets sailing from florida

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

this time logic and facts will definitely stop a tori tantrum!

The auto industry and the built environment we’ve created for the automobile are insanely destructive and not much else in the domestic sphere comes close.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
move zug

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cars rule

I mean yeah it sucks that we’ve ruined the world with them but still

Apr 7, 2003

I was a little mean to tusen takk and for that I apologize, it isn’t his fault his parents made him move to hell

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

cars rule

I mean yeah it sucks that we’ve ruined the world with them but still

I loving despise cars anymore and I despise interacting with car users

Seems like any trip I take anymore I see some insane rear end in a top hat doing dangerous stuff

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
people don't necessarily like cars even, they just like the ability to travel long distances immediately on a whim. if i want to drive to north shore right now i could be there in less than an hour. on a bus it would take 3 hours and i'd have to pay attention to schedules to even get it that short, and i'd just be waiting most of that time. cars themselves are expensive and annoying to maintain and take up way too much space, i don't think most people actually like them.

the issue is that people associate the ability to travel long distances immediately on a whim only with cars. you say you don't like cars and they think you don't need to or want to be able to travel freely. car companies did an amazing job of making the two things synonymous by completely destroying public transportation across the nation and it has made everyone's lives significantly worse while also destroying the planet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was a little mean to tusen takk and for that I apologize, it isn’t his fault his parents made him move to hell

I appreciate it :)

and im sorry i called u a gentrifier

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I loving despise cars anymore and I despise interacting with car users

Seems like any trip I take anymore I see some insane rear end in a top hat doing dangerous stuff

i live near an urban center and a restaurant a block from me just had their patio destroyed by a man who fell asleep at the wheel, while cruising around looking for uber passengers

at least half of the drivers i see are on their phones and they're driving vehicles bigger than ever before. bird scooters is working hard to get children on the streets where i live.

the automobile destroyed our planet lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

people don't necessarily like cars even, they just like the ability to travel long distances immediately on a whim. if i want to drive to north shore right now i could be there in less than an hour. on a bus it would take 3 hours and i'd have to pay attention to schedules to even get it that short, and i'd just be waiting most of that time. cars themselves are expensive and annoying to maintain and take up way too much space, i don't think most people actually like them.

the issue is that people associate the ability to travel long distances immediately on a whim only with cars. you say you don't like cars and they think you don't need to or want to be able to travel freely. car companies did an amazing job of making the two things synonymous by completely destroying public transportation across the nation and it has made everyone's lives significantly worse while also destroying the planet.

this is all true

but I also do enjoy cars. mostly from a distance and on youtube. driving can be fun

I spent a good hour or more playing forza last night. driving even when I’m at home

does
tori play biking games

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not even sure if its that people like taking long trips. all of my neighbors take like 3-5 ten minute car trips a day. Just fuckin destroying their cylinder walls and piston rings by cold starting their vehicles over and over to go idk buy a single paper plate from the store. they loving love doing errands one at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
driving for the sake of driving can be fun, if the road is good and there's not much traffic to contend with

driving for the sake of getting from a to b is incredibly fail, and it sucks if that's your best option