Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crime on a Dime posted:

get it, imo. even if you end up with a better keyboard eventually that's a lot of midi control.. you can map so many different things

yeah just went and had a look at other keyboards and realised 25 key is too small and then in that size I think this second hand one is good value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
imo the real nice thing about ~49 key units isnt that you have sick range, but rather that you can usually set them up to split across a couple patches. so you can play a bassline on the low end, have the arpeggiator for a bippy synth rhythm in the middle, and then an octave at the top for some cool pads

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo I think I'd struggle to do all that in 49 keys. two layers maybe.. but not three.

part of me wants to give the full size electic piano to my dad, or loan it indefinitely, he'd probably get a lot of joy out of it and might make him less miserable.. but he's a real dick often and kind of doesn't deserve it, especially when I don't do things like that for my mum. BUT that's kind of the lovely irony of grumpy rear end mother fuckers is that they actually often get what they want because everyone else just wants them to shut up lol

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm thinking of getting an Arturia Microfreak. If someone has an opinion on whether or not this is something I should do, I won't get paid for a few days, so you have time to plead your case. Also, much like you get fries with a burger, what sorts of effects pedals go with it, if any?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

yeah just went and had a look at other keyboards and realised 25 key is too small and then in that size I think this second hand one is good value

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249--akai-professional-mpk249-keyboard-controller

Controllers tend to depreciate fairly quickly (even though they're hella important in the studio) or are those AUD instead of USD

They improved the pads and you get CV/gate out for your robot farts, too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249--akai-professional-mpk249-keyboard-controller

Controllers tend to depreciate fairly quickly (even though they're hella important in the studio) or are those AUD instead of USD

They improved the pads and you get CV/gate out for your robot farts, too

thats nzd and they are 899 new here WTF

you've posted the 47 key version however, I am looking at the 61 key .. the 47 is "only" 700 new instead

but you've made me realise there is a 47key version lol, which may suit my purposes much better and be the thing I want

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the ableton live arpeggiator can also do all the fun stuff the mpk mini can. so if you use live dont spend money on that massive piece of plastic just for the arps

also it may have all the faders and knobs and midi control but!!! you will probably have to remap all of it for your daw and project. this is a huge effort and i could never do it the way i want so i just got ableton push for the automatic mapping. ymmv and i respect people who can overcome decision paralysis in setting up those mappings

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

akai midimix is the poo poo if you want lots of faders and knobs tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i picked up a midiplus smartpad and it's surprisingly competent for the price. even has endless encoders instead of the pots on the akai. i use it to trigger loops/scenes and fade tracks in/out while im playing

https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-Smartpad-USB-MIDI-Controller/dp/B00WU6FDNG

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

im_sorry posted:

I'm thinking of getting an Arturia Microfreak. If someone has an opinion on whether or not this is something I should do, I won't get paid for a few days, so you have time to plead your case. Also, much like you get fries with a burger, what sorts of effects pedals go with it, if any?

Microfreak is good.
Microfreak with delay and reverb pedals is great.
I just have a cheap poo poo behringer verb and delay after mine and it really brings it to life.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fx chat inspired me. dragged out the m13

sooo many pedals lol

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Here's my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/nonnonchalant

goons have been so helpful with listening to my stuff, sharing it, providing feedback, ty so much.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

finally have a desk for my simpfs

wiring poo poo up is an asspain. that’s one more point for daws. im sure this can be organized infinitely better but damned if i know how

also my back still hurts :negative: I need to find some sorta holder for the volcas, maybe even the td3

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

it’s a little more upbeat than my mental model, but “uneasy listening music” has been a good genre answer for me and may also be for you. It feels like lost Battletoads fight music.

It reminds me a bit also of Skeletonbreath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRfiFGoSUuI

Oh cool I've never heard of them and I like it. Thanks!

Pollyanna posted:

wiring poo poo up is an asspain. that’s one more point for daws. im sure this can be organized infinitely better but damned if i know how

also my back still hurts :negative: I need to find some sorta holder for the volcas, maybe even the td3

hell yeah

since moving I've changed my desk so I really need to work on getting something set up for my big controller again. in the meantime I've been using an arturia minilab mkii and it's decent.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

rules

most important thing is it's in a room you like being in

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
to take my mind of all the poo poo going on in the world I’ve taken refuge in binging tutorials on youtube.

doing so I’ve absorbed the elektron workflow and am now in dire need of a digitakt.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Kernel Sanders posted:

to take my mind of all the poo poo going on in the world I’ve taken refuge in binging tutorials on youtube.

doing so I’ve absorbed the elektron workflow and am now in dire need of a digitakt.

Been doing the same although convinced myself to buy a 1010 blackbox first.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

all the cool synth talk got me itchin' to make a song with some

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/synth-messin

pretty happy with how it turned out. took a lot more care with the drums this time and it really adds a lot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oo that is a goodie good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I approb

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

fx chat inspired me. dragged out the m13

sooo many pedals lol

mmmm

I need to do a deep dive into which of the line 6 boxes is the one I want. the two things I need are the ability to turn off amp and IR sims (it’ll be going to tube heads with an IR load box plugged into the speaker jack) and four cable method compatibility, so I think the HX Effects is the one that I want but I’m still not 100% sure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep you want a low end HX or one of the M boxes (they have m3, m9, m13) for that. if you don't need amp sims and literally just want pedals, youre in luck as that market is super cheap and reasonable

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah it looks like the HX Effects will do exactly what I need and can also do that two signal paths in parallel then recombine them before sending them to the amp which is neat. should be able to blend clean + chorus with an acoustic simulator for that kind of piezo blend sound

one of the nearby-ish Long and McQuade stores has what looks like a barely used one for a few hundred bucks off retail so I’ll probably pick that up this week

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

NonzeroCircle posted:

Microfreak is good.
Microfreak with delay and reverb pedals is great.
I just have a cheap poo poo behringer verb and delay after mine and it really brings it to life.

I will probably buy one tomorrow, then. I already have an old Boss DD-3 delay pedal that I've been using for guitar.. I wonder how it would sound on this?

I should try it on my Minibrute 2, too. That might be pretty awesome.

I really need to start using the Tascam DP-006 and making music with hardware.. but I don't seem to have the attention span to learn how to play out a full 3 minute or whatever piece on different instruments....

is my setup, although it now has a mixer with effects.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 17, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s I have the ragnarok online soundtrack stuck in my head again and now I wanna know what the hell instruments it uses and what genre it’s considered cause that poo poo was goooooooooooooooooood

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

if you're on composer cloud get the 25th anniversary sample CD converted compilation, soundtemp used a lot of loops from there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what what is composer cloud what

“25th anniversary sample cd converted compilation” doesn’t bring anything up on google

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh hmmm I see

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

http://media.soundsonline.com/manuals/EW-25th-Anniversary-Collection-User-Manual.pdf

quote:

EastWest Symphonic Adventures
EastWest Percussive Adventures 1
EastWest BT Breakz from the Nu Skool
EastWest BT Twisted Textures
EastWest Adrenaline
those have samples used in RO for sure. idk about the others

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

composer cloud is great and I'm glad I have it.

i've been messing around a lot with the zebra2 and it's pretty awesome (https://u-he.com/products/zebra2/)

the last song I posted used it almost exclusively

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

200 euro 🙀

it seems like a good device, but I’m not a serious-enough/making-money-enough musician to drop that much dough on it. i would definitely appreciate a good source for free or at least cheap samples, though! (and i mean i can always just sample stupid youtube videos so :v:)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I gave into the gas, and bought the Microfreak. I'm just now trying to figure out what I've gotten myself into.

I also picked up a Fathom reverb and a Boss volume pedal, so I have everything I need to start getting into ambient guitar. I've actually been playing with this setup more than the Microfreak today. Ambient guitar is an interesting rabbit hole to get lost down.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
i don't think i shared it here yet, but i did a weird atmospheric D&B thing with buds from back in shanghai. folks are super locked down so we just traded loops back and forth over the internet with a BPM and key, then i did the arrangement and mixing

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/shanghai-delta-flute-soup-rbm-vip

also can someone please explain to me the appeal of the OP-1? i just don't get these things

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: idk why I’m doing this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

here I made this in korg gadget

https://youtube.com/shorts/ULCAi_EqhbU?feature=share

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was in a 2 man ambient guitar/keyboard (we both played both) setup called hiways and byeways :3:

one time we got a gig at an indie coffee shop downtown in our small town, set up and started playing. about 35 minutes in the gruff rear end boomer owner stomped up to the stage and said "are yall gonna finish tuning up and play a song?"

"uhh we've been playing for a half hour"

"yall gotta go"

lmfao

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

killhamster posted:

i don't think i shared it here yet, but i did a weird atmospheric D&B thing with buds from back in shanghai. folks are super locked down so we just traded loops back and forth over the internet with a BPM and key, then i did the arrangement and mixing

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/shanghai-delta-flute-soup-rbm-vip

also can someone please explain to me the appeal of the OP-1? i just don't get these things

i listened to this earlier when it popped up and it's good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i was in a 2 man ambient guitar/keyboard (we both played both) setup called hiways and byeways :3:

one time we got a gig at an indie coffee shop downtown in our small town, set up and started playing. about 35 minutes in the gruff rear end boomer owner stomped up to the stage and said "are yall gonna finish tuning up and play a song?"

"yall gotta go"

lmfao

lol

this story makes me wonder if I’ve got the guts to carry thru my one man gig thing. spose that’s why i’ve set my sights on playing in places where there are no people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my first band was loving horrible, you can do it

i would recommend yeah if you can set up in a quiet spot away from big crowds to start, you'll slowly get comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

"yall gotta go"

lmfao

this is perfect